Knit Hats F/W 06.07

How F/W 06 became the Season of Le Chapeau...

An article by me...Enjoy!

At Balenciago they came down as sculptural, domed helmets. Marc Jacobs showed them in long-haired fur at Louis Vuitton and in a heavy knit at his namesake line. Christopher Bailey paired them with nearly everything at Burberry.

In a season of such drool-inspiring accessories as sky-high, patent pumps and fuchsia, 3D rose capes, the long-forgotten hat has emerged as one of the top contenders.

In the past few years, the hat has been tossed aside in favour of other accessories – think thick belts and skinny scarves. The only real player was, in my opinion, a heavily disfigured and deformed version, a sort of trailer-park-meets-the-hood incarnation, also known as the Von Dutch. But unlike the disastrous, and thankfully, long-forgotten trucker hat, the hats for F/W are scrumptious treats to the eye. Crafted from luxurious fabrics and moulded into dramatic shapes, they evoke sentiments of uninhibited exuberance and outright drama. It is for these same reasons that the English have never let go of this accessory – think Camilla Parker Bowles’ fabulous headpiece at her wedding. Not a hat, per se, but you get the idea…

Even recent style-disaster Sienna Miller has caught onto this trend, switching between a large, straw, brimmed hat and a military-inspired, dark cap. And, the best part of it all? Washing you hair is no longer a requirement for looking great. Not that it ever was for me anyway…

KNIT hats are definitely all over the place...
again- part of the grunge thing...
good eye kimkhuu...

:wink:...

we should have pics from sonia rykiel here...
hers were great and i have seen them around a lot!...
i tried it on...
totally adorable...

*i have a big chunky knit beret that a friend crocheted...
but it is not so comfortable...it looks just like the isabel marant one posted above though...
i may have to try harder to make it work somehow...
but i've got time before it gets colder...
:P

I consider them as a classic, I remeber wearing them every winter when I was a kid. But right now, I won't wear them, because:
I have a big head (yes, that happens to human like me), I normally avoid head wear.
I have short hair, and I do not want to mess up my hair which I spent half hour in the morning styling them.
My face isn't that perfect for a hat.

Anyways this is something very practical to wear tho.

I wouldn't wear them with every outfit, but something casual and low-key I would toss on a hat to top it off. I really love those from Burberry Prorsum.

I like knit hats as opposed to other styles of hats because they actually serve a function. I always feel a little too done up and obvious wearing what I refer to as 'vanity' hats, but I don´t have a problem wearing a hat that actually keeps me warm. :wink: I´m not really a fan of the mushroom hats for real life though, they kind of remind me of those reggae hats! :ninja: I bet someone could make them work, but that someone isn´t me. :lol:

This is the most DIY-worthy trend since the holes in your jeans craze. I'm knitting a grey one for myself right now. It's still 30 degrees out, so I have time to make tons of colours :smile:

loving this look, it fits in completely with the slouchy but sophisticated looks i'm experimenting with at the moment.

shutterbug said:
I've been looking for something like the ones at Burberry.

Holt Renfrew did an exact knockoff of the cream burberry hat. I bought it, its so cute on!

check out mischa lampert, she makes wonderful knit hats.

I want the Marc Jacobs one that I saw on the runway this past spring...

Sonia Rykiel F/W 06.07
Source: style.com

00230m.jpg

00370m.jpg

Knit hats are slowly growing on me... I might get one in black or dark grey for fall. Unsure yet wich shape will be the most flattering. :doh:

I've seen one recently that looked totally like Sonia Rikiel's posted above (the one with a flower) but green color! I'd love to buy it :wink:

I have noticed knit hats are very very popular and bigger then ever this winter 20007 .. id say .. its really hit the mainstream

i agree. h&m, zara, mango, f21 all had examples of this type of hat for winter in many colors. i'm more drawn to a simple shape myself. all the cables, braiding, pompoms and tassels are a little too much for me

Yes, I also like it simple, may be I'll buy beret and cut off the flower thing...

I like them because I'm a bobble head and they hide that pretty well.

aha the guy and girl ann d models look the exact same in the face.

i want this julius one:
00004885-001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
regbijs123
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->