Lauren Conrad Inks a Three-Book Deal *Update* 1st Book to be turned into a movie

inhirnamy137

Reaction score
(people.com)
Iam actually happy for her,and I don't watch The Hills any longer, some people are annoyed, but her books were probably be like the next Gossip Girls..nothing serious. I wish I could get a fiction book deal.

She's already a reality star and a fashion designer, but Lauren Conrad is adding another title to her crowded resume: Author.

Conrad, 22, has signed on to write a three-book series of young adult fiction for HarperCollins, the publisher tells PEOPLE. The books – the first of which is scheduled to hit shelves in the summer of 2009 – will be loosely inspired by Conrad's own experience going from an ordinary teen to a reality TV star.

"It's definitely influenced by my own life," Conrad tells PEOPLE. "The books are about a girl who moves to L.A. and stars in a reality show, so obviously there are some similarities."

So will Hills costars like Heidi Montag, Spencer Pratt or Brody Jenner wind up as in Conrad's series? Not exactly. "I'm not trying to do a fictional story based on all my friends in my real life because their stories aren't really mine to tell," says Conrad, who has gone through many dramas on her MTV show. "Some of the characters may symbolize people in my life, but it is in no way calling anyone out."

Conrad's best gal pal and The Hills costar Lauren Bosworth has already been offering advice. "I run ideas by Lo and I'll ask for her opinion because I value my friends' opinions," says the budding author, who has completed the outline for the first book.

But not everyone in Conrad's life has been clued in to her plans to pen a series. "Honestly I haven't told everyone," she admits. "I've told my best friends and they have all been really supportive. Nobody was worried."

Last edited by a moderator:
It's funny how anybody thats remotely famous seems to be able to write books...
I think Laurens okay though, and it will be interesting to see just how much she bases the books on her life.

Um, okay.

So anybody can get a book deal these days? It's official.

And of these celeb "authors" - how much do they actually write themselves??

Um, okay.

And of these celeb "authors" - how much do they actually write themselves??

Probably all of it.
Then someone else comes along with a big fat red marker (or like 100 ) to 'fix' :innocent:

I think it'll be the usual Nicole Richie kind of deal- the celebrity supplies the storyline, characters etc and an author will actually write it.

lauren. *sigh* Well hopefully she has more talent in writing than in fashion.

Is this that girl from the Hills?
I cannot for the love of God think of a women less interesting than her, a book deal? Good Grief!

Probably all of it.
Then someone else comes along with a big fat red marker (or like 100 ) to 'fix' :innocent:

I think a lot of times they just talk while some writer writes, or in some cases just outline the story while some writer fixes the story and writes it.

this is interesting..i still watch the hills but am annoyed by it all LOL

thats crazy she's getting a book deal..kudos to her..hopefully its ummm well versed b/c for the most part she just gives blank stares...

Good for her. She's working hard to build a "brand". She's probably the only reality star (besides Paris and Nicole) to reach this level of success (a clothing line, numerous magazine covers, endorsements, etc.). I actually really liked Nicole Richie's book, and hers will be published by Harpers Collins as well, so I think it'll be a light, fun read.

"It's definitely influenced by my own life," Conrad tells PEOPLE. "The books are about a girl who moves to L.A. and stars in a reality show, so obviously there are some similarities."

Reminds me of a conversation from The Big Bang Theory pilot that goes approximately like this:
Penny: I'm writing a play: it's about a girl from Lincoln, Nebraska moving to L.A., hoping to make it big as an actress but stuck working as a waitress at the Cheesecake factory.
Leonard: So it is based on your life?
Penny: No, I'm from Omaha (Nebraska)!

See the similarities? :lol:

I liked Nicole Richies book a lot. I'm glad she's doing it, I think it will be written in a style similar to Nicole's. It will be fun to see what really happens behind the scenes. IMO, she has done a LOT more than other reality stars to build her credibility. She is the only reality star I can think of that has a top selling line at Bloomingdales, has gotten as many interviews/appearances being "herself", and magazine covers . . . and she is STILL here after almost 6 years. I'd say if she wants to write a book about her experiences, go for it! I'm excited!

Sheesh people, some of you are acting like you will be forced to read her books. Honestly, if other socialites have done it, why shouldn't Lauren? Obviously the publisher seems to think it would be a hit, otherwise she would never have gotten the offer.

At the end of the day, if you don't want to read it, you have that choice.

Book deals are the new clothing lines - everyone seems to have one!

I'm not a huge Lauren fan, but I'm sure the book will sell - she has a huge fan base, how could it not? Will it be critically acclaimed and groundbreaking? Not a chance.

hahaha ya I don't think she's aiming for a Pulitzer.

MTV News caught up with Conrad to find out if she's feeling the pressure of her new literary career. "I think because I have a reality show, they have low expectations," she said. "These aren't meant to be very serious books. They're very fun. They're a light read. So hopefully people will just enjoy them."

Conrad, who had always dreamed of writing a book of some sort, elaborated a little about the plot for the "L.A. Candy" book series. "We threw around a few ideas, possibly on dating or fashion," she said. "But I love writing stories, so we came up with this idea about loosely basing it on my story with completely different people, just kind of the same situation.

"We can have fun with it, 'cause we spent five years on camera, but there was a completely different story off camera being told," she added. "It'll focus on that side of it."

The first book in the three-book series is expected to hit stores next summer, and Conrad has already completed the outline and will now write the novel. "I'm having a lot of fun with it," she said. "It's definitely a little bit more edgy. Just very real."
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1594899/20080916/story.jhtml

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->