Louis Vuitton x Yayoi Kusama Part #1 2023 by Steven Meisel

The collaboration itself and the bags they decided to apply the collaboration on are rather underwhelming.

The iconoclast collaboration in 2014 was great but it’s maybe time for Vuitton to look around for new artists.

Yayoi Kusama is easy cash cow. Her exhibitions are hit because her art is very easy in reception and pleasant to photagrophy. Overall, She's a very overrated character. Not to mention her behavior towards art researchers and critics. A very difficult and unpleasant person.

Artistic collaborations should be interesting, but if you look at it and are also interested in art, it always revolves around the same people. Fashion houses are very conservative in this type of cooperation.

Why would she be? She was already a successful model before her first wedding and before Arnault.
Considering her father-in-law owns the brand, it just seems like a conflict of interest to me. But who knows, maybe Vuitton really likes her skills? Too many models for mediocre campaign.

Considering her father-in-law owns the brand, it just seems like a conflict of interest to me. But who knows, maybe Vuitton really likes her skills? Too many models for mediocre campaign.

To me, the casting is simply yet another compilation of Meisel muses and a stellar line-up of excellent models. In these dire times, I don't think one can really have too many models of such quality. And Louis Vuitton certainly can afford to splurge on them. I'd much rather see these veteran girls getting high profile jobs than any celebrity.
And in Natalia's case, it's blasphemous to even pretend that her claim to fame has anything to do with who she married. She's always been an excellent model. And she's been in Vuitton's campaigns way before Arnault, as early as 2002 (as I can recall). It's not like she hasn't earned her spot in a line-up such as this.

But can you apply that very corporate term for a profession, model, where that terms doesn’t have any tangible impact.

Conflict of interest implies that neutrality and objectivity are questioned. How are those notions applies here for a model. Nobody ask nobody any type of neutrality and objectivity when it comes to modeling…There’s nothing objective about the job of a model at the base. Why should they be hired based on an objective point?

She was/is the face of Loro Piana, which is the brand of her husband, that is owned by her father in law…

I wonder if this campaign will run in magazines? already seen it up on Louis Vuitton stores though.. It looks amazing

^Can also confirm this campaign is featured inside the February 2023 issue of British Harper's Bazaar. The images with Bella, Fei Fei, Gisele, Rianne and Karlie run inside, and open the issue from the gate-fold and run four pages in - quite a large feature.

This campaign is impactful, begs for your attention and is without a doubt the most visually-arresting print campaign from Louis Vuitto in what feels like forever. I love the simplicity of the black and white images teamed with the colourful splodges. Not to mention the stellar casting!

Only the Karlie's second, Christy's, Devon's & Rianne's ads save this campaign. The rest are boring & lifeless.

That perfume bottle looks hilariously PTS in tho.

The LV team knows how to budgeting, they really said two products but one shoot only.

Devon truly is the star of this. Her shot outshines them all! Though Fei Fei and Malick also look great .

The collaboration and especially the transformation of the Louis Vuitton New York flagship store with the inclusion of a scary Kusama robot painting dots faces major backlash from the art world. People are raising questions if Kusama herself supports this circus, especially because she is otherwise known to be an artist of great integrity.

I think the campaign itself is alright, the cast is obviously great (Devon Aoki and Fei Fei Sun?) and it's interesting to see how the marketing team behind this seems to be working extremely hard to get this out into the world.The designs of the bags and not knowing how to feel about 93-year-old Kusama (and robot) being used here definitely leave me ambivalent about this.

The collaboration and especially the transformation of the Louis Vuitton New York flagship store with the inclusion of a scary Kusama robot painting dots faces major backlash from the art world. People are raising questions if Kusama herself supports this circus, especially because she is otherwise known to be an artist of great integrity.

I think the campaign itself is alright, the cast is obviously great (Devon Aoki and Fei Fei Sun?) and it's interesting to see how the marketing team behind this seems to be working extremely hard to get this out into the world.The designs of the bags and not knowing how to feel about 93-year-old Kusama (and robot) being used here definitely leave me ambivalent about this.

This is her second collaboration since 2012. She might be 93 years old but she is fully aware of what she is doing. It goes along her desire for self-obliteration; abolishing uniqueness and being omnipresent.

Yayoi Kusama is easy cash cow. Her exhibitions are hit because her art is very easy in reception and pleasant to photagrophy. Overall, She's a very overrated character. Not to mention her behavior towards art researchers and critics. A very difficult and unpleasant person.

Artistic collaborations should be interesting, but if you look at it and are also interested in art, it always revolves around the same people. Fashion houses are very conservative in this type of cooperation.

Thank you! Granted I don't know her like that nor does her art appeal to me, this collab is obviously very strategic and it will naturally sell well. Think of the 10 artists who fashion continuously shove down out throats and she's right up there with Cindy Sherman, Wolfgang Tillmans, Richard Prince and Jeff Koons, and more recently, Amoako Boafo. Basically the most pedestrian, mediocre and vapid personalities parading as artists. It was always so comical to watch the Arena fans on tFS wax lyrical every time Tillmans shot an editorial, as though he was this grand master. :lol:

The campaign looks good, but that's thanks to Meisel who is the actual grand master in his field.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->