Lucite Heels

URBAN

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you guys have noticed this trend of lucite heels. I'm sorry I don't have any pics but you see Kim Kardashian wearing them a lot and naturally her followers will copy her every move. I've been seeing it a lot on Instagram as well.

I actually kind of like them. It makes the look focus more on the actual outfit as opposed to being focused on the shoes, which I feel have been going on for at least a decade (make your shoes the statement and whatnot blah blah).

However though, even though I like them on celebrities, I don't see how it can utilized in the real world without looking like the obvious I.E. strippers. :D

What are your thoughts?

debbie harry did it best in the 70's...

:innocent:

Is she wearing the generic ones, like stripper heels, or just sandals or something with a lucite heel. Prada did some nice lucite strap sandals a few seasons ago and Kat Maconie has shoes with clear heels capped in gold.
I'm not the biggest fan of plastic shoes, since I always find they look uncomfortable, but sometimes it can look pretty good, it depends on the shoe though.
There are some pretty ones vintage ones (although secondhand shoes are an ick factor:(

il_340x270.753924847_c2cc.jpg

il_570xN.815361869_9hal.jpg

il_570xN.926705590_5rai.jpg

il_570xN.1022379066_9fh3.jpg

Etsy.com

Here are some examples of Kim. Sorry I'm not a big fan of her as well but she does have a massive following on IG so they copy her style, which is mostly where I've seen this.

It's not stripper like at all and very simple.
2CDF87AB00000578-3252678-image-a-134_1443475778061.jpg

312D95DB00000578-3446040-Here_comes_Mrs_West_Kim_Kardashian_stepped_out_in_New_York_City_-m-67_1455444579685.jpg

(Taken from dailymail.co.uk)

They are all from the Yeezy collection. But I'm starting to see copies of them.

I don't really understand the plastic boots though. I can't imagine the amount of sweat that could form from wearing that. Eek

Her toes are fogging up in those boots! Why would anyone wear those? :sick:
The sandals are pretty though, but the straps look a little flimsy. It's a nice look, very simple and modern and really puts all focus on your outfit, so definitely try it.

No... I'm not really feeling these. I am not sure even Cinderella would rock a pair of lucite heels. If we were doing "Yay or Nay?" with someone torn on a pair of lucite heel shoes, I'd mostly go with the "Nay" most of the time.

Her toes are fogging up in those boots! Why would anyone wear those? :sick:
The sandals are pretty though, but the straps look a little flimsy. It's a nice look, very simple and modern and really puts all focus on your outfit, so definitely try it.

Yeah I like it mainly because it's quite simple and definitely a more modern approach. It also does focus on the outfit more (given the outfit is right). I'll try to find more "celebs" wearing them.

The only thing is... I just feel like realistically, it just wouldn't work. I don't know how I would feel seeing normal people wear them.

Maybe it would work IRL if only the heel was lucite, the straps and upper portion could be leather or fabric.

^ Yes, I have some Marc Jacobs sandals that are silver leather with a low faceted Lucite heel. They totally work :mohawk:
The only problem is, they came with a whitish heel cap, and it wasn't possible to replace it, I think I ended up going with black. They very much should have supplied an extra pair with the shoes (Bottega does this for some shoes, including the screw part).

I also hadn't remembered till I saw the vintage pix above that my mother also had some from the 60s. She never wore them (in my memory), but I saw them in the attic and liked them.

Personally I do like some versions of lucite heels, but I also agree on the fact that it can lead to a hooker shoe most of the times! I guess the secret to rock this trend properly is to find a shoes that in its complex has very clean lines (and possibly without plateau) in which a perfectly placed lucite heel can make a real difference, a couple months or so ago I saw these (2014?) Nina Ricci mules for sale on ebay uk for something like 35£ and I think it's a great price if you wanna take the plunge and shop in the trend!

Source: therealreal.com & fashionoverreason.com

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-08-19-08-25-18-1.png
    Screenshot_2016-08-19-08-25-18-1.png
    499.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_2016-08-19-08-25-07-1.png
    Screenshot_2016-08-19-08-25-07-1.png
    293.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_2016-08-19-08-26-01-1.png
    Screenshot_2016-08-19-08-26-01-1.png
    405.3 KB · Views: 2
Yeah those mules are beautiful! Best way to get your feet wet in the trend while not looking completely like a follower!

Personally I do like some versions of lucite heels, but I also agree on the fact that it can lead to a hooker shoe most of the times! I guess the secret to rock this trend properly is to find a shoes that in its complex has very clean lines (and possibly without plateau) in which a perfectly placed lucite heel can make a real difference, a couple months or so ago I saw these (2014?) Nina Ricci mules for sale on ebay uk for something like 35£ and I think it's a great price if you wanna take the plunge and shop in the trend!

Source: therealreal.com & fashionoverreason.com

Personally I find hideous most lucite shoes... Kim pulls them off though, in my honest opinion. It's like she wears the shoe instead of the shoe wearing her.

those Ninca Rici babes are a spectacular example of how it's done right hahaha!

What Kim is wearing there in the last picture is PVC, not Lucite. They make her look as though she has cloven hooves ... very Margiela I suppose :ninja:
Save

There's only one part of Kim that reminds me of a donkey..and it's certainly not her feet. :rolleyes:

Dame Helen Mirren is a fan. (src: people.com)

helen-mirren-600x4502.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew637
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->