Makeup For Men - What's Your Take?

I think it's okay for Male Actors and Musicians to don make-up because they have to look their best when attending awards show or music awards and they are going to be in front of a 1000 flashbulbs, so they need it. But for normal men, I don't think they will wanna wear, unless queer, because they'll think it's girly. Plus leave it to the gals. There are somethings only girls should do and what men should leave behind. :wink:

Originally posted by AlmostFamous@Aug 15th, 2003 - 10:05 pm
Guys that wear eyeliner are... :innocent: SEXAY! :woot:
SO true!

Ex. Johnny Depp

Originally posted by BabyAnimal@Jul 22nd, 2003 - 11:36 pm
If you are my beloved gay boys, it's fine with me.
You look gorgeous and why not?

But it's the whole other different story when it comes to straight men,imo.
I would NOT go out or fall for any straight man who wears makeup.
Men have to be somewhat rugged and nonchallant about their appearances, which I find more appealing than plain "trying too hard" attitude.

Moisturizers and after-shave creams are ok though.
well said, i second you.

straight guys? makeup?
can you see your man walking up to you saying "do I look okay? is my blusher too pink? how's my powder looking? i just bought the new christian dior matt finish foundation, the silicon makes it sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide & gliiiide smoothly on my skin!

:sick:

Ok I went to Paris this weekend and got myself the JP Gaultier Le Male Mat Bronzer(very nice and natural) and a beige lipstick/liptreat. It was at Sephora Champs Elysées. The counter was like mobbed. Some items were already out of stock. And at Gallerie Lafayette they had a special widow display featuring a real-life great looking male model doing his makeup in his own little boudoir. Tourists were in shock and all toke photographs.

But not all the line was great... Gaultier only makes one color of concealer, saying that 'it's very subtle and natural' but the truth is that one color doesn't match everybody, so it's not really OK. The kohl on the other end of the pen looks just like a mechanich kohl pencil from like Lauder for example...
Then they make a gloss that is not exactly a gloss, but more of a natural conditioner in a roll on shape. The lipsticks are great. Three colors (one transparent one beige for light skins and one brown for dark skins). I thought the brown would look ashy and too dark on me, but it looks great, so I got it even though it's for guys.
They also make a nail balm, but it doesn't give any shine, etc... The packaging is cool.
The bronzer was great, not too light, not too dark. Perfect for the winter, for example and the brush was very good...

A certain thumbs up for any kind of men... Sexy looking as well...

Sofia

Originally posted by agent v@Jul 13th, 2003 - 1:01 am
:P I thought Johnny Depp looked realllllly good with it in the Pirates movie!
ME TOO! i think makeup for guys is ok as long as its natural. the eyeliner looks really good and guys want their skin to look good too!

Okay, makeup is fine for guys in the bijoux but beyond that, ewwwww! :sick:

Originally posted by Elle Glamour+Aug 28th, 2003 - 8:48 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Elle Glamour @ Aug 28th, 2003 - 8:48 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-AlmostFamous@Aug 15th, 2003 - 10:05 pm
Guys that wear eyeliner are... :innocent: SEXAY! :woot:
SO true!

Ex. Johnny Depp [/b][/quote]
and there's ewan mcgregor! *sigh* :P

I don’t think not agreeing with male makeup is necessarily a double standard and means that those people believe women should not be able to wear shorts and should be in corsets... nothing is that black and white.... in my opinion if my husband decided he wanted to use my bronzer i would be a little freaked like honey what is going on here.... BUT!!!! my husband and now his friends are TOTALLY into the grease wipes, or the oil absorbing sheets I should call them and that is cosmetic and I think okay. I think it is okay for a man to want to groom and take care of himself... it is just a fine line from grooming to becoming too feminine... just like as a woman i enjoy sweating, tennis shoes, getting dirty, sports but you wont find me scratching my crotch or shaving my face (not that there is ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT) and NOT THAT EVERY MAN DOES THAT.....you know what though as I was writhing this thinking of “MALE” things to do it was sort of hard for me…. It is easier and more acceptable for a woman to enjoy “masculine” activities – drink beer, do yard work, fish, sports but when a man enjoys shopping, sensitive music or movies.. he is criticized. Is that because the female way is less impressive or important or accepted in our society….??? This is turning into a women’s studies course and too long of a post…dont hate me not sure if I am wanted here yet anyway :cry:

Make up on men is fine just as long as it is gender appropriate. Make up such as bronzers, khol pencil in black (to accentuate eyes for a sexy smoldering look*johnny depp*) concealor for blemishes or imperfections(no powder)is fine. But nothing is worse than passing the MAC counter in a local Macys seeing the beauty advisors guys wearing rasberry gloss, cheeks flushed in pink and shimmery eyeshadow!! :shock: It is distasteful and unappropriate.

Originally posted by TrailerCouture@Sep 25th, 2003 - 9:19 pm
But nothing is worse than passing the MAC counter in a local Macys seeing the beauty advisors guys wearing rasberry gloss, cheeks flushed in pink and shimmery eyeshadow!! :shock: It is distasteful and unappropriate.
I agree! :woot: :o :shock: :doh: :sick:

Originally posted by TrailerCouture@Sep 25th, 2003 - 9:19 pm
Make up on men is fine just as long as it is gender appropriate. Make up such as bronzers, khol pencil in black (to accentuate eyes for a sexy smoldering look*johnny depp*) concealor for blemishes or imperfections(no powder)is fine. But nothing is worse than passing the MAC counter in a local Macys seeing the beauty advisors guys wearing rasberry gloss, cheeks flushed in pink and shimmery eyeshadow!! :shock: It is distasteful and unappropriate.
OK, look not to be THAT rude or anything, but who are you to criticize guys for wearing maleup? Im gay yes, so im biased, and I personally don't find men that wear blush and lip gloss attractive, but its not unappropriate. What's the difference between this and a woman wishing to do a typical "man" thing (job, ownership of something, etc.)?

Nothing.

All you (not necessarially you personally) are doing is being hypocritical and causing even more barriers in social equality. If you want females to be equal, maybe you shoudn't descriminate yourself.

What it all comes down to is this is a horribly pathetic double standard, and really none of your business what other people wear.

Sofia *ribes*, got me the JPG lipbalm, and I simply adore it. I wear makeup, in huge loads, if you are good at it, it will look totally natural. In my photos, im wearing everything, of course, the photographer wanted something more androginous for the first photo with the hat, so, I added extra liner and skintone eyeshadow. Im not against men wearing makeup in every sense, but again, there is a thin line between looking natural or making a fool of yourself looking like Bozo :wink:

Again,like the skirt debate,this is yet another centuries old custom many people may not realize. Its actually done very simple-just a pale powdered foundation that gave a sense of drama especially combined with the long vestments and tunics adorned sometimes with ribbons and lace and sometimes in satin fabrics. Personally,its not something I would try out myself(as I already am pale in the face enough and skirts are as far as I will go)but I see no harm nor any rules that its merely just for women.

Btw,doesn't Smashbox have a special make-up line for men?

this is another good example of double standards......

why are men expected to pay the bills? :wink:

Originally posted by AlmostFamous@Aug 15th, 2003 - 9:05 pm
I'm all for guys using make up. Girls can cover up their imperfections, guys should have that luxury as well. Guys that wear eyeliner are... :innocent: SEXAY! :woot:
Frankly, I don't think eyeliner could ever look natural. And I don't *care* what gender you are. I'm applying this statement to boys and girls alike.

Of course, I acknowlege the possibility that my statement about it never-looking-natural could be in-error.

Originally posted by lele@Sep 16th, 2003 - 8:04 pm
... just like as a woman i enjoy sweating, tennis shoes, getting dirty, sports but you wont find me scratching my crotch or shaving my face (not that there is ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT) and NOT THAT EVERY MAN DOES THAT.....you know what though as I was writhing this thinking of “MALE” things to do it was sort of hard for me….
Frankly, your analogy of scratching your crotch or shaving your face I don't believe are applicable to whether or not men wear makeup, as there is a fundamental difference. What difference? Simple: the male things that you describe yourself as staying-away from are not things that were determined to be "masculine" by some abstract rule. Rather, they are things that are determinedly male for anatomical reasons.

Wearing makeup on the other hand is only considered gender-specific because of some rule someone made, and is therefore like sweating and wearing tennis shoes, and is *not* like scratching your crotch or shaving your face.

Your analogy of scratching your crotch or shaving your face would be applicable if we were talking about something that's considered gender-specific for identifiable anatomical reasons: such-as whether or not it is appropriate for a man to wear a bra.

In determining what is a double-standard and what isn't, it's important to keep remember what gender-specific rules are for identifiable anatomical reasons and which ones are not.

14makeup.184.jpg

here a very cool example of men's make up and extracts to match the picture from NYT Magazine :

....the arrival of Jean Paul Gaultier's Tout Beau seems a cultural inevitability. Tout Beau is the first line of makeup specifically aimed at men. According to a Gaultier press release, the Tout Beau line -- including a powder bronzer, a concealer and kohl liner for eyes and lip balm in three shades: natural, fair skin and tawny -- is a ''bold, virile line of revolutionary tools'' designed to ''enhance masculinity'' and ''offer each and every man the right to be naturally handsome.''

Gaultier has proclaimed that 90 percent of the sales of his men's makeup in France have been to straight men. And since Tout Beau was introduced in the United States last month, sales have been brisk -- Macy's moved $13,000 worth of men's makeup in the week after its debut. Fashion-world observers say they're not surprised that regular guys would be reaching for the mascara. ''With people living longer and longer,'' says Pete Born, vice president of Women's Wear Daily, ''they are expected to remain productive for a lot longer. All of a sudden, appearance is an integral part of one's ability to make money.'' Who knows? By this time next year, perhaps the innocuous corporate badinage of men across the country will have morphed from ''Hot enough for you?'' and ''Don't work too hard'' to ''Dude, where's my concealer?''

for the full article try thislink

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->