Marc Jacobs F/W 2016.17 by David Sims

I absolutely love this!! The lighting, the mood, the angst, the energy, the attitude. Yes to all!

And I love how MJ is obsessed with dressing up boys with women's clothes. It feels very inclusive.

23i6mc0.png

"SISSY, Gentle Heroine

I was thirteen years old when I first saw Sissy Spacek’s hauntingly disturbing portrayal of the pale, fragile, strawberry girl, Carrie White, in the film, Carrie. I was all-consumed and mesmerized by her ability to bring a character to life in such a way that, for me, was very profound. Sissy’s character (that type of girl) is a reoccurring artistic reference in my work. The life she brings to all the characters she has portrayed as an artist is ever expanding, evolving and inspiring. I am so pleased to share this stunning portrait of Sissy by David Sims for our Fall '16 ad campaign." -@themarcjacobs •

Photographed by David Sims
Styled by @kegrand
Casting by @bitton
Hair by @guidopalau
Makeup by @diane.kendal
Nails by @jinsoonchoi
Set design by @stefanbeckman

instagram.com/marcjacobs

qz2p37.png

MISSY, Supa Dupa Fly

From the moment I heard, The Rain, back in 1997, I was entranced by the genius rhythms and brilliant rhymes of Missy Elliott. Missy’s music has kept me and my design team happily energized through countless weekdays, weeknights and weekends during those long hours of sketching, fitting, styling and doing looks. In addition to the boundless energy of her music are the visually pulsating and wildly cartoon-like music videos she made in collaboration with the talented and visionary, Hype Williams. I am in continued awe of Missy’s ability to push the boundaries of the style of music both to the eye and to the ear. It was a dream of mine to work with her and I'm happy to share this portrait by David Sims for our Fall '16 campaign." -@themarcjacobs

instagram.com/marcjacobs

the portraits are brilliant...
sissy and missy...i'm dying!! :clap:
i'm a bit at odds with the group shot with the models, but to spike's point, if this were an editorial in a magazine and the shots were all together it would probably make sense...

Well it gets so much better with the new shoots Now I love it

I like the atmosphere of the campaign but how many people will he put into it this time, 100? Where has the idea of "quality insteat of quantity" been gone?

Just when you think he can't give a more exciting casting after making this whole muses campaign theme for 2 seasons in a row, the guy pulls out Sissy Spacek and Missy Elliot out of his hat :clap: :clap:

Not a fan of the other shot they feel a bit too editorial, even though I love the atmosphere, but the portraits are fantastic. Sissy especially is timeless :heart:

Sissy Spacek and Missy Elliott? AMAZING. This just gets better and better. Dare I say, iconic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only like OP shot so far, the neo-goth mood was perfectly captured here. As much as I'm glad Sissy and Missy got included as well, their shots doesn't really match the rest, imo. Wonder who else will make the cut?
The mg shot looks like a bunch of bobbleheads, and the whole 'men in dresses' is overplayed, especially from him. I do find the Bela Lugosi hair and make-up interesting.

I'm very, very glad Marc Jacobs ditched Teller!! He's overrated and simply doesn't deserve all the prestige, judging by the lackluster work he turns out for Céline season after season. Sims may not be good when it comes to group shots, but at least he doesn't appear to be egotistical - 'I won't shoot x, y, z'.

Missy???!!!!!
OK! Best Cast already!
That's how you do a "huge group" campaign! Take notes Riccardo!

Missy Elliot shot is to die for! So beautiful, the best one so far.

The image of Sissy Spacek is absolutely beautiful, I love it. Particularly for a campaign shot. This work by Sims is a nice departure from the repetitive Teller/MJ collab. These images seem really authentic, and as people have been saying, true in conveying the thematic concerns Jacobs dealt with in the collection. Teller/MJ was great but a repetitive formula that works can get old and unchallenging very quickly.

PHOTOGRAPHER: DAVID SIMS
TALENTS & MODELS: MISSY ELLIOTT, SISSY SPACEK, GENESIS P-ORRIDGE, JOHN TUITE & CARLOS SANTOLALLA, CHEYENNE KEUBEN, ESTELLA BOERSMA, GRACE BOL, ALLY ERTEL, FLO DRON, RILEY MONTANA, BINX WALTON, SARAH ABNEY
STYLING: KATIE GRAND
HAIR: GUIDO PALAU
MAKE UP: DIANE KENDAL
NAILS: JIN SOON CHOI

CAMPAIGN IN UHQ.

VISUALIZING.FASHION

The Sissy Spacek and Missy (bow) shots are fantastic...I quite like the models' ones as well, it's a bit off composition wise but yeah, me gusta.

So this is the full campaign? No more surprises? It's actually better than the last two campaigns.

Cannot get over Missy here. I might never have cared for her music, but her videos was really on another level in terms of creativity and styling. Busta Rhymes as well, only in the 90's, of course. It's a shame fashion paid no attention to them during their peak, but instead fixated on Puff Diddy/Daddy/Dody whatever.

I love this campaign. It's weird in a throwback way... the group shot and Sissy's portrait are phenomenal.

So this is the full campaign? No more surprises? It's actually better than the last two campaigns.

Cannot get over Missy here. I might never have cared for her music, but her videos was really on another level in terms of creativity and styling. Busta Rhymes as well, only in the 90's, of course. It's a shame fashion paid no attention to them during their peak, but instead fixated on Puff Diddy/Daddy/Dody whatever.

Marc already released three more photos with Cara, Annie Clark and one more person I can't remember. So I think it's definitely not full yet.

I absolutely LOVE this campaign. Like others already mentioned before, it feels more like an editorial instead of 'look at our clothes and bags - buy us NOW'.
The whole atmosphere just feels very authentic and very Marc Jacobs. You can always trust him with an inclusive cast and push some boundaries and I'll always applaud him for that.

As it was rumored
[

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LKLA2024
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->