Marc Jacobs/Marc by Marc Resort 2006

birdofparadise said:
He establishes an emotional connection with customers that can 'remember back when' and an anti-cool/cool cache with customers who cannot. He has a very skillful, talented team in his back room and while it's been said time and again, it seems no one wants to think about them presenting clothes the way they do on purpose. They find charm in emotion; things being stupid, a little wrong, a little human, a little down to earth, a little 'trying too hard'. There's real heart in his design, perhaps one of the best discourses present on American fashion design bearing the heritage of American sportswear, society's clambering for the impressions of wealth and conflicts that present themselves when underground tries to go mainstream. Personally, when it comes to indie designers, the lack of real discourse, which I feel is foundation to good design in all executions, is what keeps them from being substantial (exceptions to every 'rule', of course).

Reading back thru this thread to see if I can learn why some folks are singing the praises of this collection (on my Spring predictions thread) ... and birdofparadise totally nails my problem with this collection. To me it had no heart like I've come to expect ...

marc seems to have turned a corner...
i think he may leave some of his hardcore customers behind...
the ones who like pastels and flowers...

but he has certainly attracted a new one...

it must be the influence of being in paris for some time now...
i feel like he is more in tune with what's going on in that world now...
and i am personally more attracted to that...so i am glad..

softgrey said:
marc seems to have turned a corner...
i think he may leave some of his hardcore customers behind...
the ones who like pastels and flowers...

but he has certainly attracted a new one...

it must be the influence of being in paris for some time now...
i feel like he is more in tune with what's going on in that world now...
and i am personally more attracted to that...so i am glad..

It's not the pastels and flowers I like ... it's the heart and the irony. I'm sure he will do something I like again, I just don't know if it will be this season. But I'm sure the hardcore fans are like me, they didn't see a complete about-face from spring to fall last year. A different expression, yes ...

I'm confused. some of it is really good, while others are really baaaad

I think he's still finding his way in the new ground he's entered, it's definitely bye-bye pastels for now.

That said, I'm not really feeling the last three pics on the first pics, they just seems so..uninspired.

I actually like the Marc Jacobs collection. Except the shoes, they're not appealing at all.

And the Marc by Marc Jacobs collection is just pathetic :sick:

Last edited by a moderator:
It may be important, at some point, to hash out what the original purpose of these cruise or resort collections are, if they have to relate to a designer's established aesthetic or not and how that's changing. I think we've all been privy to the praise/criticism over the past few seasons that these in-between collections are becoming serious bread n' butter. Is it only a matter of time before its shown on the runway and covered like regular seasonal collections?

My roomate already has the second black dress ordered for her 12 piece allowance :heart:

I dont like Marc by Marc though, boring as hell, and im over already with those layered skirts :yuk:

The shearling lined jacket looks cheap, probably because I just hate shearling, it cheapens everything, but it's the whole thin white seams, the Balenciaga flair to it, it just makes me hate it a lot...

birdofparadise said:
It may be important, at some point, to hash out what the original purpose of these cruise or resort collections are, if they have to relate to a designer's established aesthetic or not and how that's changing. I think we've all been privy to the praise/criticism over the past few seasons that these in-between collections are becoming serious bread n' butter. Is it only a matter of time before its shown on the runway and covered like regular seasonal collections?

I hope so!! I'm tired of the little crumbs of information--I wanna see the whole thing. I would be happy with just a complete set of pictures. But the industry seems pretty attached to the traditional coverage cycle, and of course there'd be added expense for the designers if they did shows. I wish I were a fashion journalist so I could write the coverage I want to read :P

As far as pastels, the pix posted here are a bit misleading, the collection is actually full of pastels--lots of pink, blue, and cream. It's not bad at all, some of it's completely wearable--but for LVMH designer prices, I'm not looking for wearable, I'm looking for pretty damn special. (As kimair mentioned, it's all up on marcjacobs.com, which is a really great website, even includes items numbers for everything.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annhedonia Beretta
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->