Maternity Clothes

Reaction score
Ok, this may seem like a hokey topic, but did anyone else notice that soem of these empire waist/bustline flowy tops make even the tiniest girls look a bit pregnant?

Personally...I'm so used to the look...that it doesn't make girls so much look pregnant as it does modest(about the midsection), but I still find it odd simply because so many stars are pregnant/ have recently given birth. Do you think this feeds into the trend?

Emi

ha ha ha! Sorry for laughing!

Uhm, I was thinking the same thing about the pregnancy trend in Hollywood. I dont think its on purpose but it does seem "cool" to have a family now a days, which is really good. Better than seeing stars out high as a kite at nightclubs.

miserylovescompany said:
Personally...I'm so used to the look...that it doesn't make girls so much look pregnant as it does modest(about the midsection), but I still find it odd simply because so many stars are pregnant/ have recently given birth. Do you think this feeds into the trend?
absolutley. how could it not?

^as in catwalk looks that look best suited for pregnant women?

oh, that's nice. !

is Pregnancy-inspired Looks ok?, I just thought that if we suggest pregnancy on the catwalk or anything of that sort, we'd have to stand pregnant models on the catwalk...maybe even without clothes, god knows :lol: .

Maternity Fashion

ANY OTHER NEW MOMMIES IN THIS FORUM?
I am desperate!! I was a size 0 and now my clothes don't fit..:(
Long way to go.. . Any advice on where to shop?

:flower:

THANKS!
Yassira

Ooooh, I'm so here. Not a new mommy yet but I just found out that I'm 5 1/2 weeks pregnant so I have 8+ more months of maternity fashion ahea d of me. and I'm relatively small like you YASSIRA so it's gonna be hard to get used to my new body.

I'd love to have a maternity fashion thread here. i know there's the celeb maternity fashion thread somewhere but it might be nice to get good ideas and brands together here.

Hey everybody, I just gave birth to my second child two months ago. I constantly complain that pregnancy ruined my figure anyway. I used to be a size 4-6 and ever since my son five years ago I'm in a 10-12 (sigh).

Anyway, shopping for maternity clothes is rough. The only ones halfway stylish (such as pea in the pod) cost more money than most of us are willing to spend for an outfit we will only wear shortly. Plus, many women don't consider that you will likely go through several different maternity sizes during the pregnancy. You see, most maternity sizes are simply S-L and although I could wear for instance a medium in the beginning of pregnancy, at the end I ended up needing a large....so sometimes you don't even wear the maternity clothes throughout the whole pregnancy.

Non maternity clothes? Great idea and I did utilize my other non maternity clothes as much as possible. Now don't shoot me down here but I've always been a bit of a juicy nut so I wore a lot of juicy pants with drawstrings throughout my pregnancy. The hoodies wouldn't work though:( I also wore those juicy tube dresses. Those were great. Now postpartum, the tracksuits are my best friend. I know we aren't talking about chic fashion here or anything but tracksuits are great if you are nursing. They are comfortable and you can wear a nursing bra or tank under your zip up hoodie for easy access.

When I was pregnant I also cut up some shapeless tshirts sort of flashdance style so I could wear those with some flair. I think I got that suggestion from someone here. I have found that affordable maternity basics are easy to afford and come by at motherhood maternity or Target but if you want something stylish you definitely have to be creative with clothes you have or fork out a lot of money. I do love the edgy rock maternity tops on babiesnbellies.com.

Now if somebody else can rock couture during pregnancy and postpartum more power to them but for most women I don't think that is practical, nor can they afford it. Now that I am starting to lose weight after this baby I've already started loading up on the Marc Jacobs clearance but for now since I'm not leaving the house much anyway it is comfortable tracksuits all the way.

I agree with pixie... Juicy rocks! I also found out that a lot of the GAP maternity cloth was nice. About non-maternity clothes I think that the current trends help a lot but think about it in the long run! Will you be able to use it later?

I lost a lot of weight after I stoped breastfeeding (with help of course) heeheehee... but at the begining the little pouch was still there so Blouses and Camisole tops always help when you are back on your desire weight even if you still have a pouch... same with the first months of pregnancy!

My personal favorites are the tunics and halter tops though!!!

I think that the empire waist is a good thing. It is comfortable for pregnant women not have a waist band on their tummies. Believe me, I know, my mom has 6 kids. I have seen what makes pregnant women comfortable and what does not :smile:

yah, I'm definately gonna go for a lot of empire waist items. plus I'll be big over the summer (due September 30th) so I'm gonna get a lot of cute dresses.

there are some great ideas here, thanks guys.

hey Royal Celebrity, sounds like you were able to get your pre-baby figure back. any tips?

This trend came just in time for me (I'm 32 weeks pregnant with twins now). When I started showing, I took a trip to Forever 21 and hit the "motherlode" on voluminous tops and dresses. Its funny, because Forever 21 is geared torwards teenie boppers...I've often overheard young girls in the dressing room saying, "does this make me look pregnant?"...ha ha ha.

If you're looking for inexpensive, cute clothes to get you through your pregnancy, skip stores like Pea in the Pod (pricey), Gap (blahh), and Motherhood (fugly).

I like to layer Forever 21's short-sleeve & sleeveless blousey pieces over a slim-fitting, long sleeved black tee for a hip look (warm, too).

Another thing to keep in mind, as you get bigger, sometimes its more flattering to stick with slimmer-fitting tops. Lately, for me it seems the empire-waisted, fuller pieces just make me feel like a blimp - I'd rather show off my belly - now's the time to really stick it out & be proud (besides, my boobs are getting too big to fit into the empire yoke...

Thankfully, I'll look back on this trend as a surprisingly pleasant one that helped me through an otherwise fashion dilemna!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good points. I didn't think about it but you are so right that many times it is more flattering to wear tanks or fitted tops that show off your belly in the last trimester. It looks more polished and less frumpy than wearing something like a tent since at that point everything usually expands, including your hips, ***, and thighs. I felt so much thinner wearing a fitted maternity tank with jeans than I did wearing an empire top or anything else flowy.

Oh, and I wanted to add that if you are thinking of using a sling once the baby is born check out oopababy slings. You can get them in silk and even cashmere. They are very stylish and many celebrities have been wearing them. Just thought I would throw that out there for after the baby is born.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lovetolove
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->