Mel Gibson arrested for drunken driving

fashionicon said:
Really?

Well I haven't been to EVERY country in the world, but I've been to 3 - Nigeria, America, and Europe. And never have I walked down the street and heard people incorporate racial slurs into their every day language.

Who said racism was dead? As a black woman, you'd think I'd know firsthand what racism feels like. And I HIGHLY disagree with your statement as it being the main reason for war. There are many reasons for war- religion (look at the middle east and about half of the world's wars), corruption, a tyrannical dictator, etc, etc.

Going along with religion, isn't that the reason for Mel's statement? It's not about race, it's about political affiliation. Jews can be white, black, spanish, asian, and other race there is.

If you say so. Not trying to argue, and I wasn't saying everybody walks down the street screaming racials slurs but you can bet behind closed doors it is done in every country. I also understand religion has a lot to do with what's going on in the world but what do you think it's called when one religion makes statements against another religion.....RACISM.

Also, the "as a black woman" thing doesn't work. Statments like that are people playing into racism. Why act like black people are brought down? Hold your head high and act like black women can conquer anything instead of "oh we have it so bad." Last I checked they live just as free as the next. As a matter of fact black women are more like to get a job in the US over any other race or sex. It's a fact!

Sorry, like I said, not trying to fuss.

Mel reminds me of my ex in his mug shot: blue-eyes and a sh*t-eating grin, like he knows he's been a bad boy. My ex's were just a tad lighter, and he had more of a jughead/wingnut silhouette. But he was also prone to drunken verbal tirades which would end with a next-day contrition: I know you're not really a durty hoor. Not that he'd say that, but more like, That ting I said, ya know I di'nt mean it, do ya?. And I'd be like, well, that bottle I threw at your head, I didn't mean that, either.

I'm guessing Mel's Irish someone down the line, as my ex's was (Galway), but God forbid you say that Irishmen are responsible for the the all the mean drunk statements of non-fact in which they don't even believe in the world. It's called picking a fight. My ex would've insulted his own mother if he was picking a fight with a his brother, you know?

So Mel's got Patrick Swayze and Jodie Foster rallying around him. I can't join in, as even though I understand the behavior, I can't condone it. Even I broke up with my ex.

greeneyebeauty said:
If you say so. Not trying to argue, and I wasn't saying everybody walks down the street screaming racials slurs but you can bet behind closed doors it is done in every country. I also understand religion has a lot to do with what's going on in the world but what do you think it's called when one religion makes statements against another religion.....RACISM.

Also, the "as a black woman" thing doesn't work. Statments like that are people playing into racism. Why act like black people are brought down? Hold your head high and act like black women can conquer anything instead of "oh we have it so bad." Last I checked they live just as free as the next. As a matter of fact black women are more like to get a job in the US over any other race or sex. It's a fact!

Sorry, like I said, not trying to fuss.

Of course some people are racist behind closed doors, but in the case of the Mel, he was a well known celebrity, and as someone already noted, that's the breaks.

Racism is not when religions hate other religions. Racism applies to race, keyword there being "Rac(e)-ism". Hatred against other religions is simply bigotry.

The black woman thing dosen't work, huh? :lol: Darn. It usually works but this time I guess you saw right through me.

I'm sorry, please bold the part where I gave the impression that "black folk have it so bad." I meant what I said in terms of our history and no offense, people like you who automatically assume that just because I'm black, I think I'm being held down. Don't make it into something it wasn't. I have no idea how you gathered that off one sentence. :rolleyes:

Thank you, greeneyebeauty. Now...everyone has said their piece. Please get back to Mel and his craziness :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing that bothers me is how Mel Gibson became stupid!
Driving while intoxicated?! That's down right STOOOPEEEED! :wacko:

I doubt he went "Right, need to have a fun night out, first i'll get hammered, then (mwahaha!) i'll drive! (mwahahahaha!)".

i don't understand why they're making this such a big deal. other's have done far worst, far horrific in a drunken state. at least he's owning up to this. can't say the same for so many.

misssakura said:
I doubt he went "Right, need to have a fun night out, first i'll get hammered, then (mwahaha!) i'll drive! (mwahahahaha!)".
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Somehow I couldn't stop laughing .
Which is ironic since I'm so angry at Mel :ermm:

Mel Gibson Pleads No Contest in DUI Case

By Andrew Blankstein and Richard Winton, Times Staff Writers
4:28 PM PDT, August 17, 2006

Mel Gibson must attend Alcoholics Anonymous meetings and pay $1,300 in fines as part of plea agreement his attorneys made with L.A. prosecutors today to resolve his drunk driving charges.

An attorney for Gibson made the "no contest" plea this morning in a Malibu courtroom, several weeks before the actor was scheduled to be arraigned. Gibson was not present.

Gibson pleaded no contest to one misdemeanor count of driving with an alcohol level of .08% or above. As part of a deal, two other charges — including driving with an open container of alcohol — were dropped. Gibson also voluntarily agreed to perform public service announcements.

"This was an appropriate outcome, which addresses all the public safety concerns of drinking and driving," Dist. Atty. Gina Satriano said in a statement.

According to the district attorney's office, the 50-year-old actor and director must attend AA meetings five times a week for 4½ months and three AA meetings per week for the remainder 7½ months.

He also must enroll in an alcohol abuse program for three months. In addition, Gibson must pay $1,300 in fines and his license was restricted for 90 days by the Department of Motor Vehicles.

The actor volunteered to do a public service announcement on the hazards of drinking and driving, and to immediately enter into rehab, prosecutors said in a statement.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-081706mel,1,5987935.story?coll=la-headlines-entnews&track=crosspromo

SiennaInLondon said:
Of course. I agree with you. I would be outraged no matter which race was targeted. However neither you nor I are the media, and certain double standards exist institutionally that have nothing to do with how institutions feel.

I am sorry but I have to point out my objections to how my above post was edited by Hipkitten (this post was also in response to her) before people misinterpret my views. It looks like I agree with her post when I fact I am challenging it. The opening 'I agree' was in response to her point that she would be angry if any ethnicity was targeted. However I was going on to point out the bias of the American media (which I, as a liberal European, feel acutely whenever I am in the States) when it came to certain ethnicities over others. I went on to use the example of the shocking coverage of muslims in the US media as well as conflicts in which Muslims were involved. This is the other side of the coin of the argument Hipkitten was making and that is what I wanted to express. It was perfectly on topic, nobody replied to it, it was an opinion and it wasn't a controversial comment, which makes me wonder at the motives for cutting it.

I am amazed she cut my post when this is a very political thread full stop and I dont see how some of her posts or other people's posts haven't been cut if politics is not meant to come into it. Bias on TFS as well as in the media? I would appreciate a response and not have this post cut up as well.

SiennaInLondon said:
I am sorry but I have to point out my objections to how my above post was edited by Hipkitten (this post was also in response to her) before people misinterpret my views. It looks like I agree with her post when I fact I am challenging it. The opening 'I agree' was in response to her point that she would be angry if any ethnicity was targeted. However I was going on to point out the bias of the American media (which I, as a liberal European, feel acutely whenever I am in the States) when it came to certain ethnicities over others. I went on to use the example of the shocking coverage of muslims in the US media as well as conflicts in which Muslims were involved. This is the other side of the coin of the argument Hipkitten was making and that is what I wanted to express. It was perfectly on topic, nobody replied to it, it was an opinion and it wasn't a controversial comment, which makes me wonder at the motives for cutting it.

I am amazed she cut my post when this is a very political thread full stop and I dont see how some of her posts or other people's posts haven't been cut if politics is not meant to come into it. Bias on TFS as well as in the media? I would appreciate a response and not have this post cut up as well.

Yours was not the only post that was edited/deleted all together. I was not editing your post to make it appear that you agreed with my assessment of the situation. Your post was edited as it addressed a sensitive political topic which is against tFS posting guidelines. Any further discussion of this matter should be handled by PM and not in the public forum.

Thankyou for the explanation! I will stand by the fact that this is a very political thread though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->