Mel Gibson arrested for drunken driving

fashionicon said:
No offense, but I highly doubt you spend (or want to spend) every waking moment of your life thinking about the people who are dying in the middle east..... or the starving children in Cambodia, or the AIDS epidemic in Africa.

People are allowed to be outraged. Certain things affect people differently.
Never said i did.I don;t think it would be healthy to do that.All i'm saying is its been a week.I mean it has been OVER analyzed so much.I think the media should focus on REAL news.Not about Mel and his tirades or about brad and Angelina or Tom Cruise and his possibly existent/nonexistent kid.

Yeah people should be outraged.However,if he wasn't a celebrity,this would not be a big deal.Furthermore,if he would have said the same thing about muslims.People wouldn't have said a word about it.

I have lost respect for Mel as a person but i still enjoy his movies.

^ I understand what you're saying and I agree with where you're coming from. But I think this is really only big news in the gossip columns and magazines like People, etc. who's sole focus IS celebrities and what they're doing.

I read the Washington Post every day and it isn't making the front pages and there haven't been huge columns written about it. The only mention of the issue, I found, was literally in the gossip section of the Post and even that didn't consist of much more than a paragraph or two. So, I think the real news (i.e. wars, foreign affairs, genocide, etc.) is being covered by the serious papers and mags....meanwhile, the not-so-serious magazines cover the Mel issue. I mean, no one reads US Weekly to get the scoop on the war in Israel.....when I read it, anyway, I want the scoop on who's having who's baby and what mean things are being said about Lindsay :lol:

VainJane said:
^ I understand what you're saying and I agree with where you're coming from. But I think this is really only big news in the gossip columns and magazines like People, etc. who's sole focus IS celebrities and what they're doing.

I read the Washington Post every day and it isn't making the front pages and there haven't been huge columns written about it. The only mention of the issue, I found, was literally in the gossip section of the Post and even that didn't consist of much more than a paragraph or two. So, I think the real news (i.e. wars, foreign affairs, genocide, etc.) is being covered by the serious papers and mags....meanwhile, the not-so-serious magazines cover the Mel issue. I mean, no one reads US Weekly to get the scoop on the war in Israel.....when I read it, anyway, I want the scoop on who's having who's baby and what mean things are being said about Lindsay :lol:
LOL^I would feel sorry for Lindsay,if she didn't act like such an idiot:rolleyes:

sonjanicky29 said:
...if he would have said the same thing about muslims.People wouldn't have said a word about it.

I must disagree with this. Personally, I would have been outraged had he disparaged Muslims - or any other ethnicity/religion for that matter. And I know I'm not alone. It just so happens he lashed out against Jews. No amount of such hatred should be tolerated - regardless of the group targeted.

And you're right - if he weren't a celebrity, no one would care. I'm sure this happens everyday to cops around the world. But he is a celebrity. People, for better or for worse, look up to celebrities. And, for better or for worse, people are influenced by celebrity behavior.

sonjanicky29 said:
Never said i did.I don;t think it would be healthy to do that.All i'm saying is its been a week.I mean it has been OVER analyzed so much.I think the media should focus on REAL news.Not about Mel and his tirades or about brad and Angelina or Tom Cruise and his possibly existent/nonexistent kid.

Yeah people should be outraged.However,if he wasn't a celebrity,this would not be a big deal.Furthermore,if he would have said the same thing about muslims.People wouldn't have said a word about it.

I understand what you are saying as well but in a sense, it's a lose-lose situation. If the media didn't make a big deal about Mel, than the public would be outraged.

And the media is obessed with celebrities because, well people want to know. Just look at this thread. Look at the "Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie" thread. It's like 50 pages long, and I'm not even exaggrating. And let's not even talk about the Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes threads.

Hipkitten said:
I must disagree with this. Personally, I would have been outraged had he disparaged Muslims - or any other ethnicity/religion for that matter. And I know I'm not alone. It just so happens he lashed out against Jews. No amount of such hatred should be tolerated - regardless of the group targeted.

And you're right - if he weren't a celebrity, no one would care. I'm sure this happens everyday to cops around the world. But he is a celebrity. People, for better or for worse, look up to celebrities. And, for better or for worse, people are influenced by celebrity behavior.
I don't think it would be a as big of a deal.I mean it might be equal in your or my eyes but, sadly i think a lot of Americans would agree if Mel had said that muslims were the cause of all wars.As sad as that is.So it is a kind of double standard either way you look at it.Rather it be from a media or whatever stand point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Swayze Joins Celebs Defending Mel Gibson
LONDON - Patrick Swayze has joined several of Mel Gibson's celebrity friends in defending the actor, who in a drunken tirade blamed Jews for the world's wars.
Gibson is "a wonderful human being," Swayze told GMTV in an interview being aired Monday. "He is not anti-Semitic."
Gibson, 50, was arrested on drunken driving charges July 28 on the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu, Calif., where he unleashed an angry anti-Semitic outburst on the arresting deputy.
The "Lethal Weapon" series star and Oscar-winning director of "Braveheart" has apologized twice for his words and acknowledged his long struggle with alcoholism.
Swayze, 53, downplayed his friend's drunken outburst, telling GMTV that "people say stupid things when they happen to have a few, and especially if you don't drink any more, or have limited your drinking for a long time and all of a sudden you decide to have one too many with the boys _ you are stupid."
Swayze said most people can behave foolishly without creating a public stir, but stars live under far greater scrutiny.
Swayze, who is starring in the West End production of "Guys and Dolls," said the incident certainly would not end Gibson's career.
"When you are a pit bull, and you love what you do and you are going to continue to grow, that talent will find its way out," Swayze said.
"Talent deserves to be honored. Hands deserve to be slapped if you do something stupid as well, but don't take it too far."
http://www.comcast.net/entertainment/index.jsp?cat=ENTERTAINMENT&fn=/2006/08/07/450132.html&cvqh=itn_swayze

^^ Oh. Guess that clears it up. Because if Patrick Swayze says so... :rolleyes: :lol:

fashionicon said:
You're right, but where do you live, where people are going around calling each other racial slurs and blaming certain races for the tragedies of our country?

There's a BIG difference between judgement and bigotry.

Pretty much any country in the world. Racism is not dead, as hard as we try it isn't and never will be. It's the main reason of war.

greeneyebeauty said:
Pretty much any country in the world. Racism is not dead, as hard as we try it isn't and never will be. It's the main reason of war.

Really?

Well I haven't been to EVERY country in the world, but I've been to 3 - Nigeria, America, and Europe. And never have I walked down the street and heard people incorporate racial slurs into their every day language.

Who said racism was dead? As a black woman, you'd think I'd know firsthand what racism feels like. And I HIGHLY disagree with your statement as it being the main reason for war. There are many reasons for war- religion (look at the middle east and about half of the world's wars), corruption, a tyrannical dictator, etc, etc.

Going along with religion, isn't that the reason for Mel's statement? It's not about race, it's about political affiliation. Jews can be white, black, spanish, asian, and other race there is.

Proposals Abound for Mel Gibson Healing
NEW YORK - A Yom Kippur appearance at a synagogue. A trip to Washington's Holocaust museum. A circumcision? Ever since Mel Gibson said he wanted the Jewish community to help him make amends for his anti-Semitic comments, suggestions have been pouring in, some in jest and some quite serious.
"I don't think he should be totally drummed out of the business," said radio host and comedian Al Franken. "I think he should just have to start all over again." Writing on the Huffington Post blog, he proposed putting Gibson in a movie as an "under-five," an actor who has fewer than five lines.
"Watching the dailies, a producer might say, 'Hey, that busboy who said, 'You dropped your napkin, sir' _ he's pretty good.' Then the director will say, 'Of course, he's good. That's Mel Gibson.'"
Another talk show host, Joy Behar on ABC's "The View," had a more extreme proposal for the actor, whose anti-Jewish tirade during a drunk driving arrest has been a source of incessant talk for a week. "He needs to be welcomed into the Jewish community," Behar said to whoops of audience laughter, "by a public circumcision."
Taking a more serious approach, New York's Museum of Jewish Heritage wrote the actor to propose a visit.
"His apology attracted my attention," museum director David Marwell said in a phone interview. "I thought, if this guy's serious, then we'd be a pretty good first stop." The museum has often worked with juvenile bias crime offenders, teaching them how "words have an impact," Marwell said. Many of its guides are Holocaust survivors.
Susan Estrich, a Fox News commentator and law professor, suggested Gibson visit the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington. "From where I sit, it doesn't matter that he was drunk, but there's no choice but to work with the apology and make the best lemonade you can with it," Estrich wrote on FoxNews.com.
And a Beverly Hills rabbi invited Gibson to speak on Yom Kippur, the most solemn day of the Jewish calendar, according to TMZ, the celebrity Web site that broke the initial news of Gibson's arrest and outburst.
"It is one thing to issue a statement but coming directly into the presence of a community is more effective," read a letter from Rabbi David Baron of the Temple of the Arts that was posted on the site. "I feel that Yom Kippur, Day of Atonement, would be an appropriate time." The temple did not immediately return a call for comment.
A more general offer came from the Anti-Defamation League, which had sharply rejected Gibson's first apology but accepted his second, which specifically acknowledged anti-Semitic remarks. "Once he completes his rehabilitation for alcohol abuse," the group said, it was ready to "help him with his second rehabilitation to combat this disease of prejudice."
Bloggers had their own ideas. Adam Hanft, also writing on the Huffington blog, had a list of suggestions for how Gibson could perform community service if necessary, including "three months acting as a tour guide _ along with his father _ at Auschwitz, where they will take visitors through the concentration camp, paying special attention to the spa; fitness and aromatherapy center; and breakfast buffet areas." Gibson's father, Hutton Gibson, has been quoted as saying the Holocaust was mostly "fiction."
Amid all the talk, some were also focusing on those who weren't talking.
Former TV producer Merv Adelson took out an ad in Wednesday's Los Angeles Times criticizing studio heads for not publicly condemning Gibson. And a columnist at the paper, Patrick Goldstein, leveled the same charge in a column entitled, "The Shame is That So Few Say 'Shame,'" singling out Jewish figures such as Steven Spielberg and Jeffrey Katzenberg of DreamWorks and Barry Meyer of Warner Bros.
Yet there was debate over whether such figures should be expected to speak publicly.
"Why do we expect them to speak out _ because they are Jews?" asked ADL's national director, Abraham H. Foxman, in an interview. "That in itself is stereotypic. These people are in Hollywood because they are writers, producers and actors, not because they are Jews."
Behar, who jokingly suggested the circumcision, said in a phone interview later that it's not just Jews who should be expected to speak. "Any bigoted remarks should be addressed by right-thinking people of all kinds," she said.
One former talent agent saw it all as too public an excoriation of one individual.
"I have difficulty with this public burying of a person," said Alan Kannof, a former chief operating officer at the William Morris Agency. "It's kind of like a mob reaction, a public stoning."
"I myself wouldn't see his movies and I wouldn't hire him," said Kannof, now an independent manager and producer. "But he's an individual, and what he says and does kind of speaks for itself."
http://wwwj.comcast.net/movies/news/index.jsp?cat=MOVIES&fn=/2006/08/05/449197.html&cvqh=quiz_circum

Hipkitten said:

Of course. I agree with you. I would be outraged no matter which race was targeted. However neither you nor I are the media, and certain double standards exist institutionally that have nothing to do with how institutions feel.

Also can I ask, did he go on a long tirade or was the only phrase he used 'Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world'?

If somebody is a celebrity, one tends to instantly assume the absolute worst about a person, and forgiveness becomes ever so much harder, when in fact they are just regular people. Well some of them. I'm not so sure about Naomi Campbell.

Oh and i'm not sure if anybody listens to the movie blog, but they made some excellent points about how the world has been waiting for Mel to make just one mistake, because they are still up in arms about Passion of the Christ. So that is why this event is being jumped upon with such glee.

SiennaInLondon said:
Also can I ask, did he go on a long tirade or was the only phrase he used 'Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world'?
As far as i know,that was all he said.When you think about it,it really wasn't all that bad of a comment.I have heard people in the media say the same thing about christians and muslims.Heck i have even heard people say that black people are the cause of the high crime rate in the country.It doesn't make it right but still.I agree with the poster above,people have been waiting to crucify(no pun intended)Mel since the Passion.However,he still said some other crude comments to the officers and worst of all(worse then the comment atleast)he was driving drunk.I really hope he gets help soon.

sonjanicky29 said:
As far as i know,that was all he said.When you think about it,it really wasn't all that bad of a comment.I have heard people in the media say the same thing about christians and muslims.Heck i have even heard people say that black people are the cause of the high crime rate in the country.It doesn't make it right but still.I agree with the poster above,people have been waiting to crucify(no pun intended)Mel since the Passion.However,he still said some other crude comments to the officers and worst of all(worse then the comment atleast)he was driving drunk.I really hope he gets help soon.

I'd never say that black folks are getting a fair shake from our justice system (look at the percentages on death row), but there is some statistical evidence regarding race and crime. The Jewish people are very far behind such inanimate items as oil and such arguably animate objects as arrogant and stupid world leaders (e.g., George) in terms of causing war.

IOW, one statement has some basis in fact where the other seems to me to have much less.

Did Jews start the war in Iraq? Did Jews start any of the wars in Africa? Did Jews start any current civil war? Sweeping generalizations like Mel's are simply never going to be true.

Also, this is hardly one little mistake ... and his rant included both anti-Semitism and sexism. Anything else you'd like to say while you're being honest, Mel? :lol: I feel sorry for his wife and kids ... if this were my husband or dad, I'd be dying a thousand deaths of shame.

I think you mean 'sweeping drunk generalisations'. Seriously some people in here have never seen a drunk person talk I swear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->