Mel Gibson arrested for drunken driving

^^ Yes, and lets say Mel Gibson did hit an innocent by-stander on the street
or another driver and killed someone, you know Mel would get away with
it, because he's a celebrity with millions, and you know celebrities with
millions of dollars seem to slip through the cracks some how.....:innocent:

No, I agree, he's got to suck up and grow up. But I imagine Mel saying what he said to someone like Bill Graham, and it's like Fantasy Football to me: Bill would've pitched a fit, then had some Hell's Angel kindly stomp his ***, then invited him back to the Fillmore for drinks on the house and seats in the opera boxes behind the soundboard. We've put so much power in words we've forgotten how deeds are the real problem. Like I said, had Mel crashed and died, think of the horrible roadside memorial cross they'd have to look at in Malibu. This is sooo less literal than the real situation in the Middle East of late, it's like a welcome boon of fresh air, cos' nobody's died. Yet.

^I defnitley see what you're saying. :flower:

Had, god forbid, Mel crashed and died it would have been a different story. But if I didn't feel bad for River Phoenix- who I loved, or any other respected celebrity who ended their lives too short by doing something I think to be exteremly stupid, I'm sure as hell not going to feel bad for Mel. :ninja:

Doesn't he have seven children or something? What was he doing out in a bar alone? Anyone else thinking mid-life crisis here?

^ I was thinking that too. Where's his wife? What was he doing partying with a bunch of chicks?

I really don't see the big deal in all of this; celebs seem to and drive all the time these days :rolleyes:, and even Christians make mistakes. I guess it's because he's kinda coming off as an anti-Semetic hypocrite? :innocent:

KhaoticKharma said:
I really don't see the big deal in all of this; celebs seem to and drive all the time these days :rolleyes:, and even Christians make mistakes. I guess it's because he's kinda coming off as an anti-Semetic hypocrite? :innocent:

You're kidding, right?

One Hollywood actor is standing up to Mel Gibson. Rob Schneider took out a full-page advertisement in Variety, entitled "An Open Letter to the Hollywood Community." The ad stated: "I, Rob Schneider, a 1/2 Jew, pledge from this day forth to never work with Mel Gibson, actor-director-producer and anti-Semite." Schneider also supported Hollywood talent agent Bernie Brillstein for disassociating himself with Gibson, claiming: "I just don't like bigots."
eitmonline.com

Correct me if I'm wrong, but has Rob Schneider ever worked with Mel Gibson? I do like some of Rob's movies, but he's not exactly what I would consider the type of actor who would be in a Mel Gibson movie :innocent:

VainJane said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but has Rob Schneider ever worked with Mel Gibson? I do like some of Rob's movies, but he's not exactly what I would consider the type of actor who would be in a Mel Gibson movie :innocent:

Yes, but he's sending the right message (and getting some publicity while he's at it).

I like Rob .......he's cute in a cute little puppy way I guess.....:blink: :lol:

I met him in NY (well, I know. I live here but I saw him in Chinatown) he was so sweet!

My friend from Fremont knew Rob back when he was doing stand up years ago. He would make fun of her unrepentant love of Barry Manilow. From all reports, he is a total sweetheart. Someone needs to write their film critic's thesis about the Films of Rob Schneider and the Mutability of Desire to show that there are those of us possessed with multi-syllables who really do appreciate his work.

I just happened to see Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo the other night. From all the previews I thought it'd be another one of those stupid movies based around fart/sex jokes but it was actually surprisingly good ^_^

I only saw the first 30 minutes of The Hot Chick, but it didn't seem that bad (although a little farfetched).

Foster defends 'kind' Mel Gibson
Actress Jodie Foster has spoken out in defence of Mel Gibson, insisting the actor is "absolutely not" anti-Semite.
The actor was arrested on suspicion of drink-driving on 28 July. During the arrest, he made what he described as "harmful" anti-Semitic comments.
Mr Gibson, 50, was later charged with drink-related offences, and has apologised for his outburst.
Ms Foster told the Los Angeles Times that Mr Gibson had "always fought a terrible battle with alcoholism". "Mel is honest, loyal, kind, but alcoholism has been a lifelong struggle for him and his family," she said.
"I just wish I had been there, that I had been able to say, 'Don't do it, don't take that drink'."

Ms Foster, who starred with Mr Gibson in the film Maverick, said the actor's previous struggles with alcohol provided "a shining example of how low you can go when you are young and still pull yourself up".
"He took his recovery very seriously, which is why I know he is strong enough to get through this now." The Silence of the Lambs actress added that she did not believe Mr Gibson was using his alcoholism as an excuse for the anti-Semitic remarks.
The actor's outburst came when he was stopped for speeding on the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu.

According to a law enforcement official, Mr Gibson told the arresting officer: "The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world", and asked him: "Are you a Jew?" In a statement last week, the actor and director said: "Please know from my heart I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith."
He has also asked to meet Jewish groups to "discern the appropriate path for healing".

Jewish movie producer Dean Devlin, who worked with Mr Gibson on the film The Patriot, has also spoken out in defence of the actor.
"If Mel is an anti-Semite, then he spends a lot of time with us, which makes no sense," he said.
"But he is an alcoholic, and while that makes no excuse for what he said, because there is no excuse, I believe it was the disease speaking, not the man."
However, other key Hollywood figures have criticised the actor.
"It's incredibly disappointing somebody of his stature would speak out that way at this sensitive time," Sony Pictures' Amy Pascal told the Los Angeles Times.
Producer Peter Bart, meanwhile, said the star had "seriously compromised" his career.
Court date
Mr Gibson is expected to appear in court on the drink-driving related charges on 28 September.
He is accused of driving under the influence, having a raised blood-alcohol level and having an open alcohol bottle in the car.
He has not been charged with speeding or in relation to his anti-Semitic comments.
Mr Gibson won a best director Oscar for his 1995 film Braveheart, in which he also starred. His 2004 biblical epic, The Passion of the Christ, was recently named the most controversial movie to date by US magazine Entertainment Weekly.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5248516.stm

Last edited by a moderator:
What Mel said and his driving drunk were both horrible but I think its time to move on. He's apologized and has said he wants to meet with the Jewish community. I don't understand why people are getting some sort of glee from this situation. Its as though the Passion of the Christ created this anger towards Mel and people were just waiting until he fell from grace ala Tom Cruise. He needs help from his alcoholism and people need to accept his attempt at bettering himself.

Actually his publicist apologized on his behalf in a written statement and who wants to be the publicist wrote that statement and not Mel? Besides what is Mel going to say? He has to grovel and try and make ammends, he wants people to see his upcoming movie. However I don't think anything is going to cure Mel of his views on women, gays and jewish people.

It's called damage control and that's what Mel and her publicist are doing right now. Mel has been spouting off about jewish people, women and gays for yrs but people tended to dismiss it or it got swept under the rug. Now his views are out in the open and isn't pretty.

It's disappointing that Jodie Foster as a gay woman would come out in defense of Mel. I love how she absolutely claims to know for a fact that he's not anti-semetic.

Apparently Rob S's mom or Dad is jewish and that's why he took out the ad against Mel. More should do that. I think people are keeping quiet because money talks and they don't want to risk loosing out if Mel has a hit movie.

My problems with Mel are many. It's the holier than thou attitudes he spouts off about others inc his wife who in his own words is "going to hell". It's hardly a very christian thing to be driving recklessly and drunkenly down a winding coastal highway.

If this was the first time that Mel had spouted off then people may be willing to cut him more slack but this incident merely confirms what mpst (inc myself have long suspected about him). No amount of grovelling by his publicist is going to make his behavior acceptable or forgivable to me. He could have killed or seriously injured someone. He threated and verbally abused cops, he was beligerant and down right nasty.

BTW he's been convicted of DUI before so he should have learned his lesson a long, long time ago.

Mel was wrong.Plain and simple.However,i think the media is blowing this way out of proportion.I cannot even begin to list how many people have said horrible things(worse then what Mel said)about muslims and christians.Or even about black people or mexicans.The only reason people are all up in arms about this is because of The Passion.I didn;t think it was anti-semitic and neither did the jewish friend i went to see it with(a practicing(sp?)one at that)People in Europe that i know actually agree with Mel.The country where this is a big deal is the US.I'm sure cops have heard much worse then that during pullovers.Does it make what he did right?No, but it still doesn't constitute the constant media coverage of this.People are dying in the middle east and yet media only concerns itself with a celebrity:rolleyes:People need to move on.If you didn;t like his comments,don't see his movies.Simple as that.

Sonja

sonjanicky29 said:
People are dying in the middle east and yet media only concerns itself with a celebrity:rolleyes:People need to move on.If you didn;t like his comments,don't see his movies.Simple as that.

Sonja

No offense, but I highly doubt you spend (or want to spend) every waking moment of your life thinking about the people who are dying in the middle east..... or the starving children in Cambodia, or the AIDS epidemic in Africa.

People are allowed to be outraged. Certain things affect people differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->