MET Costume Institute Exhibition 2017: "Rei Kawakubo/Comme des Garçons" red carpet

Rei Kawakubo:

reikawakubometgala2017.png

vogue

Also, you gotta shout out to Elizabeth Kennedy and Lena Dunham....... that was probably the closest thing to CDG. Amazing!

I can appreciate Katy's look but I wish it was Gaga wearing it lol

I agree, but I thought it a bit disrespectful that the co-chair of a designer- themed exhibition neglected to wear something that said designer produced.

^ totally, it doesn't even come down to how they look but just the general lack of interest to show any consideration to the theme or any respect to Rei's impact in design.. and of course the rare opportunity of something like this when the designer is still alive. Anyway.. the whole thing was -_-.. and I guess Rei knew what she was getting into (as she did with H&M).

Rei better be judging that blasphemous yellow dress on Diane.. straight out of Ross.

My favourite looks of the night were hands down Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen's, they love Rei and CDG so there were obviously playing a tribute to her with their "bridesmaids" dresses. Rei herself looked gorgerous too - in black and white. :wub:

The worst dressed was the Jenners and the Hadids (Bella and Gigi), it's nothing CDG about it and the looks were just tacky. Disappointed, because I used to love Bella's style two years ago.

I just don't understand how Kendall's and Bella's looks are the top two most voted looks on Vogue's webisite? :sick:

Wait, there's a voting on Met Gala looks? Didn't know this one...

To put it simply, my guess is that Kendall and Bella have big fandoms. Based on the logic, I would guess that the next positions are vacated by Kylie, Gigi, and Kim, maybe Selena and/or Rihanna. Let's combine it with the fact that Vogue tweets article links about both of them more often than anyone lol.

And I do agree with you on the worst-dressed part. I don't find any of them interesting to me, but given that the press continuously hyped their looks, they grew on me.

My favourite looks were Stella Tennant and Fei Fei Sun.
The worst were Kendall and Bella of course.

So far...

QUEENS, KING(S) and PRINCESSES:
CLAIRE DANES, KATY PERRY, RIHANNA, P DIDDY, Lily Aldridge, Jourdan Dunn, Priyanka Chopra, Tracee Ellis Ross, Lily Collins, Sofía Sanchez Barrenechea, Fei Fei Sun.

Very good: Zoë Kravitz, Emmy Rossum, Daktota Johnson, Lena Dunham, Allison Williams, Laura Osnes, Rose Byrne, Joan Smalls, Anna Wintour.

Worst: Alexa Chung, Felicity Jones, Kerry Washington, Salma Hayek, Selena Gomez, Kylie Jenner, Diane von Furstenberg.

Now that I looked everything I would add Solange, Fei Fei sun and Ruth to the QUEENs category :D and put Madonna on the worst list.

It was a good Met Gala. If we compare with the last year we had quite something here. For the times that we're are living, I liked of what I see. The PR wasn't so irritant this year/
The thing that was curious to see was that some "It Girls" (I think you know who I'm talking about...) SO not comfortable at all trying to reach that level of fashion that the theme suggested, so embarrassing...

I was looking through some older met gala photos and even the people attending were better, like 98% of the people attending then were A listers. Now? I think it truly started going downhill as soon as they invited Kim Kardashian. That of course opened the door to other useless people like her sisters and "models" like the Hadids, etc.

It should be mandatory to at least attempt to honor the theme because then what is the point in attending?

The best for me were Tracee, Celine, Fei Fei, Rihanna, Caroline Kennedy. The rest were hot messes.

Long video of all (almost) red carpet arrivals - including Rei actually:

Actually, going over pictures and designs from the night and having a glance at CDG designs, i think more people referenced the theme than i originally thought. Yes some went for what i call 'golden globe/emmy dresses' but quite a few paid hommage to Rei.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->