MET Costume Institute Exhibition 2017: "Rei Kawakubo/Comme des Garçons" red carpet

I didn't really expect much but was still let down. So many bad prom dresses this time around.

Solange in Thom Browne was the best dressed for me. Very clever ensemble, down to the shoes.

Side note, Nicolas Ghesquiere looked extremely handsome. Shame all his usual LV celebs looked like a hot mess.

Adwoa Aboah in Conner Ives

Hailey Baldwin in Carolina Herrera

Keri Russell in Rag&Bone and Matthew Rhys

Naomi Campbell in Alaïa and Edward Enninful

vogue

You are living a high life my man. I have no idea how a CdG outfit can be checked as red carpet ready

Not an expected red carpet look. I meant I knew she would appear in one of those CdG outfits from the last two to three years.

So when can I buy the H&M x Ralph Lauren collection they were celebrating?

(Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys though :heart:)

Liu and Fei Fei looked amazing and full of class as usual. It's so nice to see that they actually did something with the theme unlike many other models.

To me Liu Wen was hands down the best dressed. She interpreted the themed perfectly and in a nice subtle way, looked gorgeous and even though it wasn't a big statement it was great nod to Kawakubo. And runner up to me would be Stella Tennant, she looks sublime.

Among all the bland outfits it was very nice to see people such as Rihanna, Caroline Kennedy, Tracee Ellis or Anna Cleveland who not only spiced up the red carpet but wore the clothes that the exhibit was literally about.

As for Gisele, it's not only a disappointment but for me is even disrespectful, she was the co-host of the gala and didn't even try to be original.

How can so many good-looking people look so bad? It's as if the theme of the night was 'reverse Cinderella' - they thought they looked great, but as soon as they got to the ball, their outfits turned into garbage.

Anyone has a pic of Ruth Negga´s outfit from the side?

Claire Foy looks like she's wearing those scented drawer liners.

Kendall's outfit is the most anti-Rei thing of the night.

Everyone looks a mess, frankly. So basic. Even the ones dressing in Comme or nods to Comme look basic.

This event is so irrelevant now. This is a pretty piss-poor turn out for what's always heralded as "FASHION'S BIGGEST NIGHT!" Truly a sad state of affairs.

I can't stand celebrity style now. It's so orchestrated and disingenuous. No one looks natural, even when they're trying to look natural, they don't look natural. Everyone is way too GLAM SQUAD'ed out. It's ridiculous.

I think most of the attendees opted to look glamorous/pretty/red-carpet-y instead of being creative/artistic/in-line with the theme-y (not that these things are mutually exclusive :D), but this is an event where creative looks are not only encouraged but expected, and it's a funny mentality to be 'safe' in an event where you can go all out and wear something different. Therefore, I really appreciated Rihanna, Katy Perry and Solange Knowles' looks. I also liked Liu Wen, Riley Keough, Lily Aldridge and Lily Collins, but overall pretty underwhelming and kind of a mess :unsure:

Yep I agree. I know that it's not exactly mandatory to be on theme but what's the point of going if you're not going go all out. My favorite is Rihanna and oddly I even like Gigi Hadid. I can appreciate Katy's look but I wish it was Gaga wearing it lol

Lauren Santo Domingo in Proenza Schouler
UYnF9qm.jpg

@thefashioncourt tw

My favourite looks of the night were hands down Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen's, they love Rei and CDG so there were obviously playing a tribute to her with their "bridesmaids" dresses. Rei herself looked gorgerous too - in black and white. :wub:

The worst dressed was the Jenners and the Hadids (Bella and Gigi), it's nothing CDG about it and the looks were just tacky. Disappointed, because I used to love Bella's style two years ago.

I just don't understand how Kendall's and Bella's looks are the top two most voted looks on Vogue's webisite? :sick:

Emmy Rossum and Reese Witherspoon were my faves. They each had an extravagant detail aspect to their outfits which fitted the theme.

Jessica Chastain, Alexa Chung and Felicity Jones......... no no. Especially Jessica C....... that was like a lame Golden Globes gown or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->