MET Costume Institute Gala 2023 : Karl Lagerfeld: A Line of Beauty

It's quite self explanatory. Fendi is known for fur, so any reference towards that will spark immediate outrage on social media. Chanel and Chloé are safer choices.

I get that, but they can still recreate some iconic Fendi looks with faux fur or reference other codes from Fendi that don’t involve fur (e.g. its austere silhouette, its shrewd interpretation of pockets and bags basically anything utilitarian, its array of spectacular, architectural coats, its multi-dimensional treatment of garments).

I miss Fendi under Karl and Silvia a lot so for once, I wish more people didn’t overlook his vast, decades-spanning era there especially during a night where his work is supposedly celebrated across the board.

I'll never understand why people expect more than kitsch from most of the attendees of the Met Gala.

I still remember the book I read last year that tried to define the concept of "kitsch" by using the Met Gala, I had to find my old post for the quote:

"An old fashioned word, quite difficult to summarily translate, roughly understood as a sentimentally pretentious attempt at art, in pathetic bad taste. The closest way to comprehend it today could be the red-carpet parade of the Met Gala..."

Who cares about social media? A bunch of 16 year olds buying wet n wild are not relevant for fashion. Idk whose bright idea was that to let the commoners in.
I had to search up what that was because I thought that it was LdSS' new diffusion line or something.
Not enough suits? When men wear a simple suit or a tux everyone goes after them for being boring. But certainly I saw plenty of black suits or tuxes. Of course no one has to be gooped and gagged over every look, but being relentlessly negative about it all doesn't feel like a valuable, genuine, or honest response either.
I wasn't complaining about the suits, I was complaining about the fashion fans being so overinvested in hating them, like it doesn't matter. It also makes them look like they're ignorant of the designer's aesthetic and the celebrity's personal style.
I'll never understand why people expect more than kitsch from most of the attendees of the MET Gala.
It's a sad side effect of high fashion shifting to become entertainment the masses, rather than expensive, artful clothes to wear. Something that Karl was very much against.

There's nothing wrong with the former in a healthy moderation, but when both the rich and the creative front get sick of how things are going and move on, fashion will regret it.

I think people are being too harsh. Everyone looked terrible? Several of the outfits were designed by Karl himself (which, like them or not, makes them appropriate for the event) and the vast majority of the looks I saw were clearly on-theme, even if the quality wasn't equally strong across the board. A sea of nobodies? Lots of people there were people Karl worked with and spent time with personally. Like them or not, many of the people there just are among the most relevant and famous people in pop culture or fashion at this moment in time. Not enough suits? When men wear a simple suit or a tux everyone goes after them for being boring. But certainly I saw plenty of black suits or tuxes. Of course no one has to be gooped and gagged over every look, but being relentlessly negative about it all doesn't feel like a valuable, genuine, or honest response either.

Oh lord am i gonna be beat over the head again for not being interested in here today gone tomorrow nobodies?

Relevant? I guess theyre famous on the internet, not in real life. I literally have no idea who most of these people are except the fashion people like Giselle - the internet is not real life. These famous on the internet celebrities are the absolute worst thing to happen to fashion and culture.

i think most of the looks are very Chanel. Pearls and quilting. Karl would hate this whole thing because he said he never wants a retrospective and he hates the idea of doing retro.

Last edited:
No one on earth is interested in everyone attending, I don't know who plenty of the people in attendance are. But that would certainly be true for the Met during any period in History, it's always been populated with a mix of people, some of whom are internationally known to the masses and some of whom were always just socialites or people of the hour.

But if you're seeing a group that includes people like Nicole Kidman, Penelope Cruz, Kate Moss, Bradley Cooper, Paris Hilton, Vera Wang, Roger Federer, Naomi Campbell, Tom Ford, Marc Jacobs, Kim Kardashian, Gisele Bundchen, Wendy Murdoch, Rihanna, etc. and referring to them as nobodies, that feels like putting on airs. There are also people who attend but aren't interested in the carpet, aren't interested in being interviewed by Emma Chamberlain and don't need the press. But then why would one expect to see those people in social media coverage of the carpet?

Besides, your fav Ava Max was there! She of Gstaad and Palm Beach fame. :handovermouth:

Last edited:
Karl had a retrospective while he was alive in 2015, so... I mean, sure, Karl was very dismissive of retrospectives (and hmmm... if only we could remember why... hmm.. which living designer was the first one to have one at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in 1983 (while he was still alive)... and who constantly had endless retrospectives for the rest of his career........ hmmmm....). But honestly, I think he was beloved by enough people in the fashion industry, that the entire retrospective and exhibit isn't about what Karl would personally want, it's about reflecting on his legacy (yeah, yeah, "after me the garbage can" he told Suzy Menkes) and "honoring" that. Basically, Karl would probably think... he's dead, why would he care?

Do rich people even go to the met anymore. Why would i want to hang out with my employees. The attendees are titans of industry - they own the music label, they own the makeup company - why would they care to associate with their employees like bad bunny and gisele?

where are the pictures though? is there another thread and I’m super lost..?

is there because there is a list of people that i havent seen. All i saw was jlo jared leto the kardashians giselle and nicole.

rihanna looks divine. The valentino atelier has made so many of these camellias.

Last edited:
where are the pictures though? is there another thread and I’m super lost..?

Same, I just checked my connection thinking they're not loading! :grinningwsweat:

I haven't seen a single standout look so far, a bit underwhelmed at Gisele's actual Chanel archival look. And Margot's dress is ok, but it doesn't scream KL?

Do we know who else is wearing Chanel, except of course Anna?

Also, such a lot of Thom Browne, what's with that? His work looks good though, very on-theme.

My TOP 3:

#1 Lily James in Versace.
#2 Anne Hathaway in Versace.
#3 Jennifer Lopez in Ralph Lauren.

Some people need to understand that the Met is not a costume party... I think the secret is to adapt your style to the theme. Since Rihanna's yellow dress went viral, several celebrities have been INSISTIVELY trying to go viral anyway, Katy Perry coming in angel, chandelier, burger, Lady Gaga with 500 looks at once, Zendaya as Cinderella, Blake changing dress like Rihanna this year, Jared dressed as a cat like Doja, Lil Nas naked... Tom Ford talked about it recently and especially this year which is about Karl, we knew he was going to HATE this whole circus, the focus is no longer on FASHION!

Wait, is Robert Pattinson dating Suki Waterhouse?? lol

Just saw Nicole in archival Chanel? Love it! That dress was epic back then as it is today. Just wished she would've done a bit more with her hair and makeup. Hair particularly.

I now see the Gucci looks are quite ok too. Daisy Edgar-Jones. :smilingwhearteyes:

Wonder who will recreate that stunning Chanel cloak from A/W 2005.6?

Getty

Gisele is having a divorcee glow and she is the moment. Most of the Chanel archive looks are great. Nicole in her No.5 dress, Penelope looks great. Kstew looks so cool and so comfortable. I wish there are more of his muses here.

Also loving some of other references from his works at other houses too. Sort of wish there would be more Fendi and his own brand archives. Not so much about the literal ones but well… and some of the execution here are horrendous. Karl would never.

For a group of people who only had one body of reference to work with (Baptiste Giabiconi), the men are definitely the most interesting to look at this year! Never seen so many different silhouettes from menswear on one red carpet.

Bad Bunny

Conan Gray

Dylan McLane

Maluma

Chi Ossé

Burna Boy

Jonathan Groff

Baz Luhrmann & Catherine Martin (eternal fashion victims)

David Byrne

Pusha-T

Manu Rios

Harry & Jill Kargmann

Jackson Wang

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

Rami Malek

Pedro Pascal

Matteo Berrettini

Jeremy Strong

Getty

Users who are viewing this thread