MET Costume Institute Gala 2021 : In America: A Lexicon of Fashion (Part 1 of 2)

This will be the most boring show in their history.

Of course LaQuan/Kerby/(and likely Christopher John Rogers) will be featured LOOL ...Work that representation angle, girls. Cuz that’s all that they’ve got.

(I’ll give it up for Virgil: He’s still sh*t— but he worked his hustle on the Asian market and succeeded wildly. And he succeeded before the representation mania that's gone out of control in the US.)

Sigh, I mean I guess the theme was to be expected? I knew it would be social or political considering, but still held out hope that it may well turn out to just be about fashion. Vogue said they've missed fashion so why such a sombre theme?

And it's again so open-ended that designers will come up with anything and pass it off as a 'statement' on gender/identity/race etc. Ralph Lauren can do a basic black evening dress and apply it to the above.

Is this the first time the Met honoring American designers works?

I better not see a single piece from Ms. Donna "asking for it" Karen. Is it only present designer from 70s, 80s and 90s because I cannot think of a single current American designer in New York right now that worth put in the museum. Maybe Tom Ford, Marc Jacobs and Ralph Lauren.

That is very good PR decision. When people will coming back to travel and sightseeing they will starting organize more interesting
exhibitions. MET and Andrew Bolton idea for fashion
exhibition is always very safe due to they want attract the greatest number of people. IMO they focus on american people because the tourism business is limited now.

I think this is great, and the timing is perfect.
It's about time American fashion is celebrated, and elevated in this way.

Can’t wait for this.

Rumours are that they will invite TikTokers to the 2021 Met Gala (Charli D'amelio, Addison Rae)

Disappointing

I don’t have a problem with that. Snobbery over their platform aside, it’s hard to argue that they’re not more influential and widely followed than many of the trashy movie/tv/music/fashion celebrities that will also be in attendance. It’s a party invite, not an award. Half of them already have some sort of deal with a brand (Charli and Prada, Emma and LV, Dixie and Valentino, etc.)

Rumours are that they will invite TikTokers to the 2021 Met Gala (Charli D'amelio, Addison Rae)

Disappointing
Charli is fake, she’s 17 so I assume it’d be physically impossible for her to attend? Dixie, her sister, is realistic, and surely Addison will be there given how desperately she’s trying to break into the mainstream + her having Law Roach as her stylist. The tweet above just about confirms it.

I also don’t have the biggest problem with it, despite some background groans, as Vogue NEEDS to touch into an younger audience in order to remain fresh &, therefore, alive, which it’s been struggling to do over the years, and they have great success with their digital platforms (especially YouTube), which contributes to the social media -> fashion media bridge. So, let Addison into the MET. Will she look a mess? Probably. But will it get people talking? Certainly.

I wonder what they're waiting for to have a Met exhibition/theme honoring Valentino... His death?

Zendaya said that she will not be attending due to her filming Euphoria.

Good, that means we don't all have to listen to everyone gushing about her being best dressed, regardless of what she wears.

I wish ALT would make an appearance. His unabashed flamboyance, his history with the Met, and his enthusiasm for and knowledge of fashion is missed by me. I like Billy Porter and whomever else as much as the next person, but ALT will always hit different.

Disappointing

It's new digital era. D'amelio sisters, Addison Rae and Emma Chamberlain.

I saw on E! News that most people attending this year will under 25 years old. And it will be done a livestream.

I think Addison could actually surprise us being she seems to have Law Roach as her stylist.

Billy Porter also said he won't attend.

Add: Camila Cabello said she will.

Last edited:
Dua Lipa also won't be attending due to filming schedule.

More people who could attend according to Deuxmoi:Screenshot_20210910-065052_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20210910-065044_Instagram.jpg

Kendall and Kylie Jenner will attend Met Gala.

Anyone else cackling with glee at Anna's Beyoncé comments in the Met looks retrospective Vogue just put out? Some pretty overt criticism cushioned with generic compliments. What will Tina have to say about this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alliexcx
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->