Mickey Rourke

Mickey sits down to talk to SkyMovies' Alex Zane, host of Guest List, to talk about films he likes, what influenced him and chooses movies for Sky to put on over the weekend.

----

London, Nov 7 (ANI:( American actor Mickey Rourke is said to have turned the air blue during an interview with Alex Zane after he used a cuss word in each and every sentence.
Rourke was interviewed for Sky Movies and telly bosses ended up censoring most of it with bleeps as there were too many swear words used.
"We nicknamed the TV chat Nine-And-A-Half Bleeps," the Daily Star quoted a show source as saying.
highbeam.com

Video PART 1

Video PART 2

stills by me

2aah8j5.jpg

Richard Aujard
Brazil 1989

en.yellowkorner.com

am4m7c.jpg

Roxanne Lowit
starlife.com.ua

4h5jra.jpg

Fabrice Dallanese
starlife.com.ua

125q4go.jpg

Jason Bell
starlife.com.ua

Wed Aug 12, 2009

The 15th Sarajevo Film Festival, 2009, opened on Wednesday, 15 years after it was launched as an act of defiance at the end of the 1992-95 Bosnian war and the siege of the city, hosting Hollywood stars such as Mickey Rourke.
Ten films from the region spreading from Austria in the West to Turkey in the East will compete this year for the 25,000 euro ($35,370) Heart of Sarajevo award, some to be shown for the first time outside their countries.

"Despite recession, we expect to have an even larger and better festival than the last year," said festival director Mirsad Purivatra.
"Our Red Carpet guests are not coming here because of money but because of our reputation and recommendations."

The Bosnian capital, nestled among the hills and known for its architectural mixture of multi-religious temples and the hospitality of its people, turns into a large party during festival days every year.

The most famous visitor will be Rourke, who will along with film director Darren Aronofsky and producer Scott Franklin present "The Wrestler," the film that brought him back on the world stage last year after long isolation.
"The Wrestler," which has earned many international awards and brought Rourke an Oscar nomination, will close the nine-day festival on August 20 at the 3,000-seat opened air cinema. The same crew will present the film in the Adriatic town of Dubrovnik a day later.

Mickey Rourke arrives at the 15th Sarajevo Film Festival (SFF) in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, on 19 August 2009. The movie 'The Wrestler', starring Mickey Rourke, will be screened for the closing night of the festival on 20 Augustuk.

reuters.com

flickr.com/photos/sarajevofilmfestival/

1.Vanity Fair Magazine [United States] (July 1991)
2.Vanity Fair Magazine [United States] (August 1984)
3.Films and Filming Magazine [United Kingdom] (January 1986)
4.Film Comment Magazine [United States] (August 1987)
5.Film Magazine [Poland] (April 2009)
6.Premiere Magazine [France] (November 1991)

1.Premiere Magazine [France] (April 1987)
2.Premiere Magazine [France] (June 1986)
3.Ciak Magazine [Italy] (March 2009)
4.American Film Magazine [United States] (November 1987)
5.Los Angeles Confidential Magazine [United States] (February 2009)
6.Cinema Magazine [Germany] (April 1986)

whosdatedwho.com

Love the VF cover with Mickey and Andie, also have fond memories of "Barfly".

Rourke Sorry For 'Stupid' Passion Play Comments

Mickey Rourke is making amends with Passion Play director Mitch Glazer The actor ranted about the drama in a recent interview with New York Magazine's Vulture column and claimed the reason the film is set for a limited release was because it's "not very good". after publicly slamming the film, insisting he was in a bad mood when he branded it a "terrible movie".

Now Rourke, who plays a musician in Passion Play, has backtracked on his comments, admitting they were made in haste.
He tells Vulture, "Hey, guys. When I talked to you, I was at a party. It was loud and crowded, I was in a s**tty mood and I was trying to get rid of your reporter. Mitch is one of my best friends since we were kids. I loved working with him and would do it again tomorrow. I don't know why I said that stupid s**t. I love Mitch, I love Megan. My bad."

imdb.com

top10movie.net

^Couldn't agree more I love the VF cover with Mickey and Andie he was so beautiful!! Wish we had the VF articles they must have been real juicy.

Thanks for the pics and articles Susa!

:flower:

Part 1

11vp18m.jpg

Quick, name a Mickey Rourke movie. Let's see ... he was the arsonist in Body Heat, right? Small role, real intense? And he had a featured role in Diner—the popcorn scene, right? Now, what else? Oh, yeah, 9½ Weeks, but that didn't stay in town long, did it? And yet... everyone seems to know who Mickey Rourke is. That, ladies and gentlemen, is what is known in the brand-name Eighties as an anomaly: a movie star without a hit movie, a famous person who doesn't appear on TV, a million-dollar-a-picture man whose pictures don't make millions.

There is as much curiosity about Rourke as about any actor today. He is a riveting screen presence, rumored to be tough to work with or get close to, a guy who appears to be a genuine hard case. Unlike James Dean, Marlon Brando or Robert De Niro, heavyweights to whom he is often compared, and in stark contrast to the contemporary tough guys of show business, such as Sean Penn—who may be "bad" but grew up comfortably in the middle class—Rourke came up from the meanest of streets. What we may have here, in other words, is the real thing.

Rourke was the product of a badly broken home, uprooted early and raised in Miami's dangerous Liberty City; his main ambition in life was to be a prize fighter. At 19, when it became clear that he wasn't Rocky Graziano, he borrowed a few hundred dollars from his sister and headed for Manhattan. He lived in sleazoid hotels, scuffling up a living with dead-end gigs and, always, banging away in acting class.

The story of Rourke's ascent from Miami street fighter to Hollywood star is as intense and compelling as any he has appeared in on screen. His recollections are peppered with characters whose names, for legal reasons, cannot be mentioned; with deeds that until the statute of limitations expires are best left sketchy. And with a battery of friends who, quite simply, are no longer around. Despite the grimness of the tale, Rourke is ever quick to point out that he isn't telling it because he thinks he had it hard. He's telling it because you asked. And he'd be just as happy to keep his mouth shut.

The irony is, having abandoned his bad old ways, Mickey Rourke, the oldest 31-year-old on the planet, now commands upwards of $1,000,000 a picture for portraying the same breed of troubled tough guy, desperate outsider or brinked-out solid citizen he's either been around or been his entire life.

"With Mickey," says Stuart Rosenberg, who directed him as would-be hood Charlie Moran in The Pope of Greenwich Village, "you never know if he's going to kiss you or spit in your face. He's got a chip on his shoulder, but he's also got that very rare quality—you'll forgive him for anything."

Indeed. In 1981's Body Heat, the film that put him on the map, it was Rourke's smoldering edginess, the smile of pained benevolence defusing those gentle killer's eyes, that transformed a minor role as an arsonist into a career-making performance. It was the first of those "Mickey Rourke roles"—parts it was impossible to imagine other actors attempting. In Diner, a film he stole, there was Boogie, the smooth-talking hairdresser with a soft spot for women and long shots. In Francis Coppola's Rumble Fish, he played the Motorcycle Boy—heir of The Wild One—a moody biker whose tattoo might have read Born To Read Kierkegaard. Ignored here, the film was hailed as a minor classic in Europe, where Rourke is revered.

In Pope, Rourke teamed up with Eric Roberts as yet another struggler, a stand-up guy estranged from his woman and gunning for the Mob; and in Year of the Dragon, he portrayed New York homicide ace Stanley White. Most recently, of course, he starred in 9½ Weeks, potentially the Last Tango in Paris of its era, in which Rourke introduced Kim Basinger to ever more dangerous sexual games.

But if some readers are scratching their ear lobes and saying, "Gee, I didn't like any of those flicks," join the crowd. No smash hits here. Rourke will tell you so rather proudly—he's an actor hired by directors who want to work with him, not by studios that want to put his name on a marquee. He doesn't sell, he delivers. And he often confounds Hollywood by not even delivering what the industry might expect. The man nixed Beverly Hills Cop. And it's no secret that he'd rather hang out with Hell's Angels than with the BMW owners who frequent Helena's and Spago. "If there's an underbelly in Beverly Hills, Mickey will find it," is how Pope author Vincent Patrick sums up this most un-Hollywood of Hollywood stars.

But it was Larry King, of late-night chat-show fame, who struck fear in our hearts at the prospect of nailing Mickey down. "He's a great guy," said the master interviewer, "if you can get him to talk...."

Duly warned, we sent writer Jerry Stahl off to find out if Mickey Rourke was real. What we found was that he's even realer than we might have imagined.

Here is Stahl's report:

"I first hooked up with Mickey Rourke in New Orleans, on the set of his forthcoming movie Angel Heart, where we holed up for a spell in the Fish—code name for the Silverfish, a customized silver snail-back trailer the star inhabits between takes. Lest any gung-ho studio types get a hankering to pop in, the man in charge has had a brass plaque mounted prominently on the front door. Its message: Executive Producers Stay The **** Out—which pretty much puts the kibosh on chat-happy moguls.

"Mickey is by reputation a hard guy—if not an out-and-out sociopath—but it's clear after half a minute with him that the opposite may be closer to the truth. Soft-spoken and unpretentious, Rourke shows the fans who waylay him on the street and the young actors who hit him up for a spot of cash the kind of courtesy a bastard wouldn't bother to fake. Even the paparazzi, bane of the big time, are treated with respect: 'If snappin' a picture of me puts food on their table, then what the ****; snap away, Jack.'

"In New Orleans, we talked from midnight on through the night. Same on the West Coast, where Rourke keeps an apartment that's as close to funky as Beverly Hills zoning ordinances probably allow. The walls are plastered with photographs of boxers, most autographed, lending the place a kind of manly, clubhouse feel, like the back room of a barbershop. The shades are drawn tight enough so that, inside, three in the morning shows up looking a lot like three in the afternoon. The place feels more like a hide-out than like a home, which is the way its owner likes it. 'I got a house,' he says, 'nobody lives in.' This is where he prefers to hang out.

"From the slice I sampled, Rourke lives his life in extremis. Sleep and solitude are his enemies. He staves off both with a vigilance that might damage a lesser camper. 'I hate to go to sleep; I always feel like I'm missing something,' Rourke explains when asked. Sleep deprivation is his brand of high: 'I can go for two or three days on a cat nap. When I get really zoned is when I get my ideas, when I like to do my writing....'

"Keeping Mickey company is a devoted batch of fellows, much of whose life is spent hanging out with the Man. Entourage is too arrogant a word for this crowd. In Mickey's case, whether they're on the payroll, like assistants Billy and Bruce, or just on the scene, like biker Chuck Zito and the ever-present Lenny Termo, these guys seem connected in a way that leaves mere buddies behind and approaches the Knights of the Round Table.

"Whatever happens to be going on in the romance department—and Rourke is nothing if not discreet—the love you hear Mickey speak about again and again is for his pals, in particular for Termo, 'my best friend.' Lenny is a 50-year-old garment exec turned actor, a soulful New Yorker who, through some happy genetic glitch, seems sired by the secret coupling of Sal Mineo and Zero Mostel. He and Mickey have been together on an almost daily basis for years. And to understand Rourke off screen, you have to understand his relationship with Termo.

"'If they told me they'd chuck a few years off my life, but I knew when I went, Lenny would go with me, I'd do it in a second,' Rourke says with conviction. Termo is equally vocal in his devotion. 'This,' he'll declare solemnly of his soul mate, 'is a great, great man.' Lenny knew Rourke when he had nothing, and Lenny, as Mickey loves pointing out, has nothing now.

"Although Rourke is not known as a comic actor, he and his pal seem like a nonstop existential comedy team, laughing or wailing or propping each other up in the mobile bunker they've created to survive in Hollywood. Life in the Rourke trailer is such that in one typical interview session, first Lenny rolls in—summoned, after 20 minutes, by a call from Mickey: 'I need you, man!'—followed by Chuck, an affable Hell's Angel flashing loud jewelry, followed by another friendly Angel and a couple of nice girls, all of whom appear and disappear into the back room, out the door or in and out of the kitchen for snacks as the night wears on.

"At one point, in what I took as the ultimate gesture of acceptance, Mickey asked Lenny to take his teeth out for me. Showing gums, Lenny bore the brunt of Rourke's torment with as much dignity as possible under the circumstances. 'Look at him,' Mickey cackled, 'look at that face! And this man still tries to pick up 17-year-old waitresses!'

"Eventually, between Chuck's demonstrating kick-boxing technique and Lenny's extracting his uppers, things got a little, well, loud. When the lady downstairs called up to complain, Mickey handled the call. 'I'm really sorry,' he told her in his most velvety-smooth voice. 'This is the last night, absolutely. It won't happen again....' Talk about convincing! Forget the toughness, forget the money, forget everything—this man can act, Jack. Just ask the lady who lives underneath him."

playboy.com

Part 2

PLAYBOY: How did you get such a bad-boy image?

ROURKE: I don't have a bad-boy image. What do you mean I have a bad-boy image? What the **** does that mean?

PLAYBOY: You have a reputation.

ROURKE: Wait a minute. Have I ever slugged a photographer? Have I ever spat on a journalist? Have I ever walked off a movie set?

PLAYBOY: Well——

ROURKE: No, wait. Have I ever put my hands on another actor? What do I do? Have I ever shot a producer? What the **** have I done to get a bad-boy image?

PLAYBOY: You tell us. Why do you think this myth has sprung up around you?

ROURKE: It's just words. I don't do what certain actors do to create a bad-boy image.

PLAYBOY: Meaning what?

ROURKE: That I haven't cultivated it like some actors, ones who want to have that reputation or think it's fashionable because they can't act.

PLAYBOY: There's a lot of that going around.

ROURKE: Right. There are a lot of actors who like to pretend. They're trying to project some kind of tough-guy image, but anyone can see through it. I mean, if you want to be bad, go to jail. Don't be bad in a Hollywood restaurant, with a bunch of wimpy reporters. Punching a photographer—what's that? If you want to be bad, mother****er, go to jail and try it. There's plenty of guys in there who'll kick your *** for a nickel and won't give a ****. It's all so ****ing phony.

PLAYBOY: You're talking about Sean Penn. What do you think when an actor like him, who grew up well off, tries to come off as if he's straight from the street?

ROURKE: It's a joke. But people eat it up out here. It's, like, everybody asks me about my days on the street, but I'm trying to get away from that. I don't like to glorify it. The people who try to present that kind of image in Hollywood or New York, they don't really know what it's like to live in a flea-bag hotel and live on candy bars or a bag of potatoes for months on end, then go to work on 42nd Street in a massage parlor and have to hassle with the ****ing pimps and the drunken cowboys. In the movies, that's all fine and dandy; but in real life, it's a ****ing drag, man.

PLAYBOY: That's your background you're talking about, right?

ROURKE: Yeah, I can't take away where I came from. I didn't choose to be there, but I also know there's a certain element I project as an actor that I couldn't if I hadn't lived the way I did then.

PLAYBOY: Let's talk about that. You lived a tough life in Miami before going to New York. How did you feel when you arrived?

ROURKE: I was terrified, man. Petrified. I thought the ****ing zombies were going to come through the windows any minute. The boys I had hung out with in Miami gave me a club to take with me to New York. They said, "Where you're going, you're gonna need this, man." It was like I was going to hell. They made me this club as a going-away present. I carried it around for, like, four years.

PLAYBOY: You walked around New York City with a club?

ROURKE: No, no, I kept it in the room, but I slept with the ****ing thing under my pillow. I used to work parking cars and keep it in the shack on the lot. I think I left it there when I got fired. One day, the guy who ran the place came up to me and said, "Mickey, you crashed $40,000 worth of cars this year. You're getting kind of expensive." I just couldn't back'em in.

PLAYBOY: Why did you go to New York in the first place?

ROURKE: I knew time was running out. I was living in a motel down in Miami called the Wild West. Me and five guys. And, uh, a couple of things went down bad. I can't really be too specific, but you can only get by with the kind of **** I was into for so long. The whole young macho trip. Fighting, having big balls. A lot of people from back then are gone now—O.D.ed, dropped dead, shot.... You can't survive that way in this day and age. And I knew that, I was 19. I didn't want to be a professional bad-***.

PLAYBOY: Where did acting come in? It doesn't sound as though you and the boys at the Wild West spent a lot of time kicking around Tartuffe.

ROURKE: All through junior high and high school, I had a job as a pool boy at the hotels. I used to get up before school and lay out hundreds of mats in these different hotels. And there was a guy I worked with, a guy who'd been in classes with me, who called me up around this time and said he was doing this play at one of the colleges, I forget which, and he needed somebody. So I went down there and did this Genet thing with him, a showcase, about a black guy and a white guy on death row. I really liked it. I don't think I was very good, you know, in that first thing. But it was like, "Hey, this is a great feeling. Whatever this is, this is neat." It seemed kind of special. And, you know, I didn't know who Marlon Brando was, James Dean, Montgomery Clift, any of those guys. All I knew was Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, Clint Eastwood. I knew cowboys and that ****. John Wayne. I didn't know who serious actors were. Nor did I give a ****. The only one I knew was Terence Stamp.

PLAYBOY: Why Terence Stamp?

ROURKE: Because I was an usher in a theater and I watched Far from the Madding Crowd about 79 times. I never saw the ending until two years ago. I got in a fight with another usher, who conked me over the head with a flashlight, and I got fired.

PLAYBOY: How did your Wild West pals react when you started acting?

ROURKE: Well, there was one guy I knew who looked like Tony Curtis, a very darkly handsome guy. He got high a lot, so we used to call him Stoney Curtis. Anyway, we were lying out at one of the old hotels—the Oceanside, I think it was; one of those hotels on the beach—and we were talking about thievery, right? The usual thing. [Laughs] He was just out of jail and we were talking about some things we were maybe gonna do. But then I said, "No, man, I'm gonna be an actor. I'm gonna go to New York."
"Hey, don't do that," he says, "stay here. Make a decent living stealing." Man, this was serious talk!

PLAYBOY: A little vocational guidance?

ROURKE: Yeah. "You ain't gonna make it," he says, 'cause he was honest. "You're not a bad-lookin' guy, but there's guys out there that are, like, great-lookin', and they can't get a job. Hey," he says, "I might not even get a job." The guys I hung around with, see, were either younger than me or a lot older. The guys my age bored the **** out of me. Like, all of a sudden they were getting nervous about "life," you know what I mean? Like, now they had to get serious. You know, we were all gonna go places, do things, but they all ****ing copped out; they all chicken-****ted out. So I latched on to an older group of dudes, who knew what the **** it was all about, or else a real younger group, who were still, like, excited about that ****. And it was the younger group that I kept having to prove myself to.

PLAYBOY: So going to New York was——

ROURKE: Like doing time, man. I was gonna do five years. I promised myself I was gonna try that acting stuff.

PLAYBOY: You didn't really know what you were getting into?

ROURKE: I didn't know anything. I was in good shape when I went. Physically strong. I had just stopped boxing, so I could take care of myself. But that was, like, the only thing I knew, that macho thing. And it didn't do you no good in New York City. I was totally uneducated about New York.

playboy.com

Part 3

PLAYBOY:
What do you mean?

ROURKE: Like, everybody told me before I left, "Whatever you do, don't trust any black cabdrivers." They said, "Don't get in a cab with a black driver, 'cause he's gonna rip you off!" So I get off a plane in New York and all these regular, innocent-looking black guys are coming up to me: "Hey, you need a cab?" And I'm saying, "No, man, I don't need no ****in' cab!" This is how ****ing backward I was. Standing there and waiting, like, hours for a white driver. See what I mean? I was a ****ing yo-yo.

PLAYBOY: So you finally got into a cab; then where did you go?

ROURKE: This is very embarrassing, where I told him to go. But I wanted to learn acting, so I went straight to an acting school, because I heard that McQueen had gone there. And I still had my suitcases, you know? I walked in with my suitcases and I talked to this man who ran the school. He let me watch the class. He said, "I think you should find some place to stay." I said, "Do you know anywhere?" Finally, some cabdriver took me to one of those transient places, a $35-a-week hotel.

PLAYBOY: A roach palace?

ROURKE: Down the hall, a little guy was opening the grille, peeking in; you couldn't even jerk off in private. It was one of those welfare hotels with nut jobs walking up and down, you know, ****ing crazies and killers and guys who were truck drivers who thought they were women. The first night, there was this loud ****ing music coming up from somewhere, man. And I kept hearing these voices and **** from downstairs. I closed the window and sat there on the edge of the bed holding my club, thinking somebody ****ing crazy from the lobby was going to come up and bust into the room. 'Cause at the time, you know, I had left a lifestyle where I was a little wary of that kind of ****. The slightest sound at the door or whatever and I was jumpy. And there were a lot of strange sounds at that joint, believe me. I put a ****ing chair next to the door with a can propped right on the edge, and another can on the window ledge. Anybody tries to break in, you know, I'm gonna hear it.

PLAYBOY: Somehow, you knew you had to go through all this?

ROURKE: Sure. And I'll tell you, I would give anything now if I could just go back to that time. I dream about it now. I'd love to be so in awe of something again. It's like the feeling I get when I go to Paris. I love Paris, because I feel lost there. I love not knowing. I don't like to get used to things. I'm territorial once I'm settled in. But the feeling of being lost, to me, is also a feeling of freedom.

PLAYBOY: So you wandered around New York, lost.

ROURKE: Yeah. When I moved to the Marlton Hotel, I remember I was walking down the street, man, and I saw these dudes down on Christopher Street, and they were all wearing motorcycle jackets. With all the leather, all dressed in black, the whole thing. They kept looking at me, and I'm thinking, ****, man, where can I go? What ****ing gang is that? None of my boys were with me. This wasn't Miami. I kept thinking, What the **** is this guy looking at me like that for, man? 'Cause you didn't eyeball somebody back home in Miami unless you wanted to get down, you know—unless you were ready to fight. What I didn't realize was that they were sissies, all dressed up in leather.

PLAYBOY: When did you find out?

ROURKE: Hey, this went on for, like, a couple of years, man. I just didn't realize, I'm telling you. I was walking around with platform shoes, checkered pants, real long hair. 'Cause that's what we wore back home. I had no dealings with real hip people, with smart people, for a long time. This one time, I remember, I took a room—I shared an apartment with this guy—and when I first got there, he swore to me, like, right away, he just started saying, "I'm straight, I'm straight!" And I didn't even know what straight meant.

PLAYBOY: How did that arrangement work?

ROURKE: Well, it was weird, because he had these plants in his house. He filled the house with plants. To me, a house smelled funny with plants in it. I thought people had plants outside. But I'll never forget, one night I wake up and the guy is standing there naked, with an erection, and he's rubbing my leg. And I thought to myself, Man, what am I gonna do now? I didn't know what he was doing. I didn't know why. Finally, it dawned on me this guy was, like, a homosexual. And I left.

PLAYBOY: So there you were, in this jungle full of weird people and situations.

ROURKE: It was funny, in a way. In the wintertime, I was really, really lonely. And I used to work down by the water, moving furniture in this warehouse where Lee Marvin, Steve McQueen, Gene Hackman and a bunch of other guys had all worked, too. The guy who ran it was an old actor or something and used to tell me stories about them. Anyway, I used to walk home during the night, and I was so ****ing lonely, you know, I'd pretend I had a girlfriend waiting for me in my room, waiting to have a cup of coffee with me or go to the movies. As I walked home, I was still daydreaming. Same way I daydreamed in school. I'd say to myself, "Oh, now I'm going home; she'll be waiting for me." Because I couldn't talk to girls. It's easier now. They come running.

PLAYBOY: Now that you're a sex symbol?

ROURKE: Right. A real sex symbol. I'm telling you, I couldn't go up to a girl then if you paid me. I masturbated a lot, you know. But I could not get rejected, so I could not talk. I didn't know how. Anyway, that's how I survived—fantasizing. I had a redhead one night, I had a blonde with big t*ts the next night.
Lots of times, I'd end up sitting in the Western Union office all ****ing night, with all the other lunatics, waiting for ten dollars from my grandmother once a month. Other times, I just had bad luck, living on a bag of French-fried potatoes. You'd buy a bag of potatoes because they were so filling. For a while, I was stealing Hershey bars out of ****ing supermarkets because it was a meal. I knew nothing about nutrition or anything like that. I thought I could live on candy bars for two ****ing years and I'd be all right. When I left Miami, I was a big dude. I had a neck like a football player. After four years in New York, I weighed 140 pounds. I went home to see my mother, and she cried. My teeth were falling out.

PLAYBOY: What else were you doing then?

ROURKE: Going to acting class and working. I had a lot of jobs in New York. Massage parlors, whorehouse jobs. I was a towel boy in one, night manager in another. I was a Good Humor man, a chestnut-pretzel-cart man, an attack-dog agitator.

PLAYBOY: Wait a minute. Your job was to provoke dogs?

ROURKE: Yeah. I showed up for the job and this guy says, "You ever worked with dogs before?" So I say, "Sure, yeah, all the time. I got dogs all over." Next thing I know, the biggest ****ing Doberman pinscher I've ever seen in my life comes tearing out. Now, that's acting, man; that's really ****ing acting!

PLAYBOY: Did you get the job?

ROURKE: Well, slowly the guy realized I didn't know what the **** I was doing. But he gave me a crack at it and I liked it. This guy would fire a gun at the dogs and I would walk in wearing this leather glove kind of thing. He would give a command and the dog would sink his teeth into the leather thing. That was one of my favorite jobs. We would go all over, to the Village, to the rich people on Madison Avenue. I liked it, because I'd meet lots of people and they'd always look at me like they couldn't believe what I was doing; they couldn't believe anyone would do that.

PLAYBOY: It sounds like something out of a Mickey Rourke movie, like the two down-and-out guys in Pope of Greenwich Village.

ROURKE: Like me and my friend Little Eddie: Eddie was this 4'6" Cuban. He was kind of puppy-dog-eyed, a little like a Cuban Al Pacino, but hairier. He was the only one from Miami I saw after I left. When I'd been in New York for about a year, I was lonely and I asked him to come up. He stayed with me at the Marlton. But the thing with Eddie, man, Eddie just wanted to make a big score. It was just like in Pope—Eddie was ****ing Paulie. Every day he wanted to be Al Capone. He knew every gangster that ever lived. He knew what family they were with. But nobody could take him serious, you know, because he looked kind of funny, and it was hard to get into the business he wanted on the level he wanted to get in. He didn't want to be no penny-ante guy. He wanted to be well connected—which was hard for a 4'6" Cuban with a shortman complex. He'd be talking to somebody, you know, and all of a sudden he'd go [snarling], "Yo, man, I don't think you really meant what you said!" Real tough. And he would say that to anybody, you know? Any time, anywhere.

PLAYBOY: He sounds like a screenwriter's dream.

ROURKE: It was also very funny when we would walk down the street. I'm not that tall, maybe 5'11½". But back then, I had shoes on me that would make me look, like, 6'5". Everybody wore platform shoes, you know, and I had mine handmade. I'd save up all my ****ing money from whatever I was doing and have these shoes made in Miami by this Cuban lady we all used to go to. They were, like, six-inch heels with eight-inch platforms. Black, pink, silver, turquoise. Back home, we'd all ****ing wear them and go up to the strip in Miami. We'd get dressed in tight pants, cutoff shirts and these platform shoes. We were all wearing those crazy ****ing clothes when David Bowie came out with Ziggy Stardust.

PLAYBOY: The androgynous look?

ROURKE: Yeah, and it was wild because none of us were androgynous types. We were far from that ****. But I didn't know why I was dressed that way back in Miami. I just liked the dudes I was hanging with because they were loose, man; they weren't uptight. We'd get out at ****ing midnight, then fix ourselves up like a bunch of women, we'd be at the mirror blow-drying our hair for a ****ing hour. We'd all maybe lift weights together for an hour or two. We'd get like a bunch of Indians; it was a ****ing ritual. During the day, we'd go down to 48th Street Beach. We used to wear little tiny bathing suits, lay out in the sun, take half a dozen Seconals. We were big on downers back then. Everybody would talk in slow motion. Everybody would be checking themselves out when they spoke. You never heard so much lying and bragging. Everybody was into being cool, being tough, getting down and getting high.

PLAYBOY: What were you lying about?

ROURKE: Lying about everything! "I got the best ****ing grass in the world!" Or "I picked up the most beautiful ****ing girl!" "I didn't **** your girlfriend"—when I really did, you know. Stuff like that. Back then, there was nothing on our minds but a good ****ing time, a good ****ing girl. I wasn't worried about my next deal, what time I have to be at work in the morning. It was a very free, very wild time. There was a lot of **** going down. Jim Morrison was real big around that time, and you'd hear his music on the beach.
It went on night and day. You'd lay out on the beach all day long, wiped out of your mind. You'd just go and go. When you were high like that, the waves were special, the way they felt. I mean, it's wrong now. I'm totally antidrugs. I had my fling, but it wasn't for that long.

PLAYBOY: Everybody's been there, don't you think?

ROURKE: Well, like I say, I had my moments. And I remember watching my friends, a couple of friends who couldn't fight very good. They would get stoned out on Tuinals or Seconals and they'd be wearing their ****ing platform shoes and they'd be fighting, beating the **** out of each other, getting ****ing killed and not feeling it. They'd be ****ing laughing about it, you know? It was wild.

PLAYBOY: Did you ever go over the edge?

ROURKE: Never. I would always make sure I was in a certain amount of control, especially where I noticed the people I was around were out of control. It was just ... just an incredible time. All those legends, a lot of them aren't around now. A lot of them are dead.

PLAYBOY: Back to Little Eddie, who came up from Miami to keep you company in the Marlton. We left you two walking down the street in the Big Apple.

ROURKE: Right. The thing is, I'd have these giant platforms on, and Eddie, who's 4'6", would be walking next to me. Only even in his platforms, he still looked small. So we'd be walking down the street and he would look up and go, "Yo, man, how come you're doing this to me, man? Why you gotta wear them ****ing things, man?" I'd say, like, "Eddie, we're out tonight, man. There's ****ing broads around, man!" And Eddie would say, "Look, man, if you gotta wear them ****ing things, then step off the curb when the girls walk by." That way, see, he didn't look as tiny.
Because we came from Miami, we were really out of it. We didn't even dress for the weather. We had blue-jean jackets and we were parking cars with these high-heeled ****ing shoes on. Eddie had it especially tough, 'cause in Cuba, it's really hot. We'd be freezing our ****ing balls off in the little wooden shack, and Eddie'd go, "What are we doin', man? I thought you knew people!" I'd say, "Eddie, wait. Give me a little while." He'd go, "Man, I want to meet some ****ing people now!" But I was afraid to talk to anybody. I didn't know anybody. Finally, a couple of nights, me and Eddie went to a couple of heavyweight restaurants.

playboy.com

Part 4

PLAYBOY:
You hung out at restaurants because he wanted to break into the Mafia and be seen in the right places?

ROURKE:
Well, I don't want to say that. Let's just say he wanted to get hooked up. He wanted to make his bones. At that time, the acting wasn't going so hot for me, and we were so broke we were going to gay bars every Wednesday and Thursday when they had the food with happy hour. That's how we'd eat. So I was kind of going along with Eddie; but in another part of me, there was this commitment to my mother and my grandmother not to wind up like this. I had that always hanging over my head. And so Eddie and I—I've got to watch what I say here—we took a few, ah, gigs that we failed miserably at. Then I decided I didn't want to continue in that way of life, and Eddie did. I ended up getting a night job as a bouncer somewhere, the Cheetah or Adam's Apple, and Eddie, I don't know, I think he got into some things and went to Frisco for a while. I don't know.... Little Eddie, where are you, man?

PLAYBOY:
[FONT=&quot] Throughout all of this, what kept you going?

ROURKE: What kept me going? I used to say to myself, "Well, if I don't make it, man, I'll go back to Miami." At least I'd be amongst my own. I always had the guys. Then, one day, I ****ing got out of bed and I thought, Who the **** am I kidding? I could never go back to Miami. I left when I needed to leave. There is nothing there. And I realized, I can't run back. I can't quit like I quit a couple of other things in my life, like I quit boxing.

PLAYBOY: You wanted to be a boxer?

ROURKE: It's all I wanted to do from when I was 15 to about 18.

PLAYBOY: Did you have any fights?

ROURKE: Four. Police Athletic League.

PLAYBOY: How did you do?

ROURKE: I won all four. But I have to tell you, I've sparred hundreds of rounds in the past couple of years. I still go to the gym and spar. To me, it's a form of physical aggression that's very fulfilling, because I'm in a profession where I would never put my hands on anyone. What I really love is the sport, the science. It's just very frustrating when I have to stop training every day and go away for three, four months to do a movie. That's when I start smoking, staying up all night, worrying, hyperventilating and getting coo-coo.

PLAYBOY: Do you regret leaving the ring?

ROURKE: I've always felt bad about it, because I quit for the wrong reasons. I quit for lack of discipline and maybe lack of guidance, lack of respect for myself.

PLAYBOY: Do you feel as if you've failed?

ROURKE: Yeah, it still bothers me. One of my best friends in the world is Ray Mancini. I love Raymond. We're like brothers. I flew out to his retirement party to be with him. I remember, I was there among all these boxers and I was thinking, Ah, these ****ing guys, they made it, they stuck with it. I quit—I never knew how far I could have gone. I could have gone a long way. But then, I'm sitting there with Raymond after everyone leaves the party, and he gets real depressed. I say, "What's the matter, Raymond?" And he says, "Mickey, I'm confused. I don't know what I'm going to do with my life. I'm trying to do business, but I don't know...." He had just retired at 24 and accomplished what very few could accomplish, to be champion of the world. And he's sitting there talking to me and I ain't got no answers. So I'm thinking, Maybe I shouldn't have been so hard on myself for giving boxing up.

PLAYBOY: During this time, you had trouble with your five stepbrothers, didn't you? And your father abandoned you for 17 years.

ROURKE: Yeah, I grew up with six brothers in the same room.... But look, everybody has certain things that happen in his childhood, and lots of people have hard knocks, harder than me. Just because I'm an actor and I'm in the public eye, I don't want to overdramatize the ****ing things that have happened in my life. I don't want any sympathy.

PLAYBOY: But these things had to affect you. How did you deal with them?

ROURKE: There's not much you can do at that age. You either click on or you click off. And I clicked off for years. When you're a kid, you wake up in the morning or try to go to sleep at night and you say, "Why me? Why is this happening to me?" Now I've got to look at it and, honestly, all I can say is I got two legs and two arms and a brother who's healthy, a sister, my mother is alive. I look at it that way now. But then, it was a nightmare.

PLAYBOY: But why do some people get out of the nightmare while others never do?

ROURKE: It's hard to say. I look at my brother Joe, who'd been sick for many years but who's still around. He got cancer when he was a kid and he's still got it, but it's in remission. It was painful to see my brother totally click off.

PLAYBOY: What form did that take?

ROURKE: No ambition in life. I always wanted to be a big man, but Joe didn't. Joe's a biker. That's his whole life. He fixes them up and he rides every day. I'm not the most responsible guy, but when it comes to the way I go about my work, I'm responsible. Because in the end, even if there's a little riffraff here and there, I'm going to try my hardest to give what I can, because there's a certain amount of pride.

PLAYBOY: Where is that pride from?

ROURKE: I think it's instilled in you at a very early age. When you have to bend, you think, I'm going to bend, but I'm not going to break. And you channel that as you grow older. I used that same—what's the word?—principle when I walked into auditions and said, "This mother****er is not going to break me."
You have to understand: When I had my first couple of auditions in New York, I'd meet these lightweight assholes, and as soon as they started asking me dumb questions, I'd just look at them. They'd say, "What have you been doing?" I didn't know the game. I'd go, "Ah, nothin'," and that would be the end of the conversation. I didn't know that you were supposed to be charming, to sell yourself. And so, after 40 or 50 of those, I realized, "Hey, you got to go in there and get up this guy's *** and kiss it."

PLAYBOY: You don't seem like a guy who has kissed a lot of ***.

ROURKE: I've kissed just enough to get by, you could say. But I had never sold myself before, because I didn't give a ****. So it was hard for me. It took me 78 auditions before I finally got a gig.

PLAYBOY: What pushed you over the top?

ROURKE: One day I just woke up and said, "Mother****er, you're not going to get a part. If you don't kiss a certain amount of ***, then they win. You gotta go in and steal that role." It's black and white in this ****ing business. There ain't no gray. All the gray is doing soap operas.

PLAYBOY: Do you think your life in the streets helped you survive life in Hollywood once you made it?

ROURKE: Well, I can't be threatened by the people in this business; I've already been there with the real mother****ers. I'm not going to get upset when some guy with bad breath and cream cheese running down his chin tells me how he won't give me this or he wants me to do that. I had a certain purity of feeling when I started acting, but I'm never going to have that again, because the damage is done. You find out it's all a big, ****ing hustle.
In my early 20s, I just couldn't wait to get up in the morning and learn my lines and work on all my little Stanislavski Method stuff. I had my ****ing dreams about "One day, one day, all the ****'s going to come together and it's going to be great!" I really thought that it mattered that you did the work. But it's a lot of bull****, and if anybody says it isn't, then he's full of ****.

PLAYBOY: How do you feel about the profession of acting?

ROURKE: I'd say you have some moments when you think acting is not a very manly profession, because the people you have to deal with are on such a low level. You have to accept circumstances and situations that normally you couldn't stand for.

PLAYBOY: How do you stay sane in the face of that?

ROURKE: I make sure I keep in touch with real people, the friends who matter to me.

PLAYBOY: Wasn't there a bit of controversy a little while ago when one of those friends made news?

ROURKE: You're talking about my man Chuck Zito. Chuck is a Hell's Angel. He and I are very close. He worked for me on Year of the Dragon. He got me to work on time, helped me get to bed on time at night. But most of all, he was a friend. He was hired through the studio, because I had it in my contract at the time that he worked for me.

PLAYBOY: What happened?

ROURKE: Chuck fell on some hard times. There was a whole thing that went down in New York with the Angels and the D.A. Chuck went away for over a year. He was up in New York in jail. When he was inside, he called me every day and asked how the movie was going. I love the man and I know he loves me. Just because he's a Hell's Angel doesn't mean he's some kind of raving lunatic. The most important ****ing thing to me is friendship, and Chuck is a friend of mine. I know if I was in trouble, he would stand by me. So if he's in trouble, I've got to stand by him. Just because I'm in the public eye, I can't run away from that.

PLAYBOY: But you caught some **** for standing by him.

ROURKE: Yeah, I caught some ****. You know, my agent and everybody was saying, "Stay away from those guys. You're going to ruin your career." But what would they rather I'd be doing? Would they rather I'd be living in a mansion above the Beverly Hills Hotel, having Hollywood parties, sticking cocaine up my nose and ****ing 17-year-old models? Promising girls screen tests behind closed doors just because I wore a suit and went to the right places? Don't give me that ****, man. You want to talk about illegal acts, I know a lot of guys in this business who are a hell of a lot more corrupt. So, you want to talk about guilt by association, how about all of them lying, two-faced mother****ers in the business?

PLAYBOY: For a guy who gets $1,000,000 a picture, you have a lot of contempt for the movie industry.

ROURKE: Listen, man, I didn't like my foreman when I was in construction. I didn't like the guys around the whorehouse when I worked in the whorehouse. I didn't like punching the clock when I had to punch a clock. I didn't even like the customers when I laid linoleum. I'm a free man, Jack; I can do what I want to do when I want to do it. I did it when I wasn't getting paid and I do it now.

PLAYBOY: For better or worse, though, this is the business you're in.

ROURKE: Definitely. And I think that to be part of this business, you have to be full of ****. That's why, at times, I think there's a part of me that's full of **** because I am involved with this.

PLAYBOY: How will people in the business react to what you're saying here?

ROURKE: You know, my agent says, "Mickey, you can't talk about the industry like that." And I say, "Hey, man, they don't have to go to bed with me every night. When I ****ing pull the sheets up and close my eyes, I gotta live with my decisions and the way I feel, and if I can't express that, then it's too ****ing bad."

PLAYBOY: Haven't you ever compromised in making a movie you didn't want to?

ROURKE: No. Body Heat was the movie that got things going for me, and even then, I took a hard line. The scenes were written very well, the way we wanted them. Then came Diner. This was a movie, I think, that was good for me to make at the time. A lot of people really like that movie.

playboy.com
[/FONT]

Part 5

[FONT=&quot]
PLAYBOY: Don't you?

ROURKE: It's funny, you know: The movie did what [director] Barry [Levinson] wanted it to do, but at the time, I had no idea what we wanted. I didn't understand a lot of those guys in the movie. To me, it was make-believe. I would never hang out with those kinds of guys. But, then, my character really didn't, either. He was on his way out, so it was OK.

PLAYBOY: Then you were an outsider on screen and off.

ROURKE: Yeah. I used to talk to [co-star Steve] Guttenberg and just crack up. I never spent much time with a kid like him. To me, he was so square that it made me laugh. I liked him. I enjoyed just sitting in a room talking to a guy like that.

PLAYBOY: The part in Diner that people still talk about is the ****-in-the-popcorn scene. Your date sticks her hand into the box and finds a surprise. Watching you explain your way out of that—and make it sound convincing—we get the feeling that smooth talk comes naturally to you.

ROURKE: It goes back to the childhood thing. If you grow up in harmony, let's call it, you don't have to lie. But if you live in disharmony, then you have to lie and lie good. When I was a young kid, I would start talking to friends and I'd make **** up that would amaze myself. I couldn't tell the truth if you hit me over the ****ing head with it. I'd be lying and really believing it. I noticed a lot of other guys doing it, too. When you're so ****ed up, confused and unhappy, you have to make **** up to feel good. I think a certain amount of that probably helps me say other people's lines with conviction. That was the difference between me and my brother Joe. I would rather lie than get hit. My brother Joe would never lie, no matter what.

PLAYBOY: Did you admire him for that?

ROURKE: I really did. But not enough to tell the truth. I'd do anything to get out of punishment; are you kidding?

PLAYBOY: Much of your next film, Rumble Fish, directed by Francis Coppola, revolved around the relationship between brothers. Your character, the Motorcycle Boy, wanted to take care of Matt Dillon, his kid brother, but he also knew he couldn't stick around to do it. Was there some of that going on in your life, as well?

ROURKE: There was a very close parallel with my life, with the whole brother thing. At the time Joey was going through his first bout with cancer, when he didn't know if his time was gonna be up, I wasn't watching out for him the way I should have. I was too concerned with learning my craft and all that. Joey was actually given the last rites twice. So his living, to me, is like a gift. I guess I'm trying to make up for lost time now, because I feel responsible. I bought a house he can live in, fix his motorcycle up. There was other stuff going on during that time, too.

PLAYBOY: What else?

ROURKE: During shooting, they came to me on the set and told me my father was dying. So there was that whole thing going on with identity—who was my father? I was just starting to know him. We had just started writing. I was going to ask him to come visit. So I'd lost the opportunity to start to be buddies with him. It was too late. Too late for me and too late for Motorcycle Boy, too. It made me feel, you know, like there was no reason for me to be here anymore, and I used that in the film. It was a painful time. Dennis Hopper's father actually died during the making of the movie, and my father died right after. Coppola's son died a short time ago. I think a part of Francis himself was Motorcycle Boy. It was a very innovative film, Rumble Fish, like nothing before it. It was very symbolic and mystical. In Europe, when I went over there later, kids were still talking about it. Of course, nobody in this country went to see it.

PLAYBOY: How do you feel about that?

ROURKE: Well, look at Coppola. Francis, God bless him, has the biggest balls in the world. He doesn't care what anybody thinks. There may be a part of him that wants people to like what he does, I'm sure, but he has the guts to hang his balls over the fence and do something different. So I really learned a lot hanging around guys like Coppola and [Michael] Cimino, because of all the **** they get from the people who don't like them, the people who are out to get them. Seeing how they dealt with that was very important to me.

PLAYBOY: Year of the Dragon, made with Cimino, was attacked viciously by critics. How did that affect you, the star?

ROURKE: I wanted to quit and open up a ****ing motorcycle shop. I just didn't want to expose myself to the aggravation. I was disgusted with what the critics, those cowardly mother****ers, did to the movie because of Cimino. They tore Dragon apart, and instead, they praise these safe ****ing movies—like most of the movies up for the awards that year.

PLAYBOY: Why do you think they went after the film the way they did?

ROURKE: It's very obvious. The critics have a vendetta against Michael Cimino. If they try to deny that, then they're lying cocksuckers. There was a certain amount of truth that my character, Stanley White, portrayed. There's this strong sense of truth, this sense of honor, in all of Michael's movies. And this offends a lot of those people, because it's something they don't have.

PLAYBOY: You're saying their attacks are ultimately personal?

ROURKE: Of course. You've got the elitist critics in New York and Los Angeles that the rest of the United States follow. Ever since Heaven's Gate, they've all hated Michael. Why? Because he refused to buckle under; he refused to apologize for trying to make a great movie. There was a lot in Heaven's Gate that was very beautiful and very real. You saw an era depicted the way it was. He went off a little with the money, but, hey, he didn't put a gun to their heads and tell them to give it to him. He took all the heat afterward.

PLAYBOY: We gather you don't worry a lot about reviews.

ROURKE: The God's honest truth—and I'm not just saying it to say it—they can say great things about me and they can say ****. I don't recognize them. I did at one time. But now, they could call me great, brilliant, out of this world, from another ****ing planet and it would not mean a ****ing thing to me. I mean, who are these people? Where did they come from? What did they do? What are their credentials? Yet they're in a position to inform the public! Even the ****ing schmuck at Playboy, the guy who reviewed Year of the Dragon, what rock did he crawl out from under? I'd like to put them all in a ****ing room and have them tell me all this **** to my face. [Playboy went to press too late to review Year of the Dragon; Rourke is mistaken.]

PLAYBOY: Pretty bitter.

ROURKE: Real bitterness is when you try to act for critics. That's the worst. Then you might as well just blow your brains out and get it over with.

PLAYBOY: Why?

ROURKE: Because I've watched a number of actors I've admired over the years turn so bitter that after a while, they'd do anything. They give in to their insecurities, sell out, do projects because they think they might be successful, big hits or whatever. They turn into what the powerhouses in Hollywood want them to turn into. And that's the worst crime of all. If you're angry, at least you're still searching. You're still ****ing passionate.

PLAYBOY: Speaking of big hits, is it true you were offered Beverly Hills Cop and Top Gun and passed on both?

ROURKE: Top Gun wasn't officially offered. They sent me the script, but I just couldn't see myself saying most of those lines stuck inside a machine. And with all due respect to Beverly Hills Cop, there were lots of movies they offered me $1,000,000 or more to do, but, hey, I didn't believe in what the message was.

PLAYBOY: But you believed in 9½ Weeks?

ROURKE: At the time, 9½ Weeks was the first script I'd seen in a while that excited me. I took the script for the right reasons, but I wasn't in total control.

PLAYBOY: There was a lot of talk about your relationship with your leading lady in 9½ Weeks, Kim Basinger. Just to put those rumors to rest, how would you say you got along?

ROURKE: We got along.

PLAYBOY: That's it?

ROURKE: Uh-huh.

PLAYBOY: There were reports of friction between you.

ROURKE: Everybody else needed to create that. In fact, we never even spent any time together. A lot of that movie was so intimate physically, emotionally and psychologically, she and I made the decision not to be close off the set. We made a choice and we both stuck to it.

PLAYBOY: Some people thought you two actually made love on screen. Did you?

ROURKE: I kept my pants on the whole movie. Watch it closely and you'll see. People see what they want to see.

PLAYBOY: Actually, there were things people didn't get to see in that movie. A lot of sexual scenes between you and Basinger supposedly ended up on the cutting-room floor. Why?

ROURKE: What happened was that nobody had a lot of belief in the movie. Everybody was very timid about what kind of movie it was and upset because it didn't really fit into a pattern. It wasn't a teenage movie, with all those phony little brats who hang out, and it wasn't that high-tech s-f crap and it wasn't a Steven Spielberg thing. It just wasn't a formula picture, so they were nervous. I respect [director] Adrian [Lyne], but he was commercially successful with Flashdance and I think he got caught up in trying to reproduce that. I wanted to go a lot further than the movie went.

PLAYBOY: What did you want to do?

ROURKE: I wanted to go all the way with it. I wanted to show every ****ing emotion that was going on with me and Kim.

PLAYBOY: What would an audience have seen in your version?

ROURKE: There's a certain moment when you make love with a woman, a certain way you look at each other afterward, certain things you say. Little intimacies happen: Maybe there's a food that you eat after you do it, or a walk you take, or maybe you'll read a book together. But these certain little things are the reason the two of you are together. Even in the act itself, there's a special thing going on, a secret at the heart of it. I'm talking about with someone you're obsessed with, that you love—not just a shot in the night. That's what this movie was about—an obsession. There are certain paranoias and fantasies, certain delicate, subtle things that go on between two people that I wanted to delve into and capture. I was hoping personally we could go further with these elements—but that wouldn't sell as many tickets as me humping Kim on a coffee table.

PLAYBOY: Do you think that kind of emotional detail was just too intense to film?

ROURKE: No, I think the powers that be probably don't understand it. They've probably never had the experience. Maybe they're too busy up everybody's *** to deal with that in their own lives; I don't know. I was just a hired hand.

PLAYBOY: Looking back, do you regret having made that movie?

ROURKE: I'm not ashamed I made it, no, especially when you look at what else was around that year. Maybe one day I'll make the movie that goes as far as I want it to go. I know I will. But I don't want to take anything away from Adrian's effort. It's just that he had his reasons for doing 9½ Weeks and I had mine. There was a lot of trouble making that movie.

PLAYBOY: What kind of trouble?

ROURKE: For one thing, we were working with a kind of blue smoke—used for a hazy effect—that was getting everyone sick. I couldn't get out of bed for two or three days and they still wanted me to work. Two doctors came over and I had to tell them how sick I was. Even the director had to go to the hospital one day. So there was all this pressure and tension, a lot of disharmony and a lot of people pointing fingers. On top of that, we had five or six producers sitting there on the set, telling the director when to cut.

playboy.com
[/FONT]

Part 6

(Last part. Sorry this is so long.
)

PLAYBOY: Between the critics' slaying Dragon and the producers' cutting up 9½ Weeks, was it tough for you to get up for another movie?

ROURKE: I sat for over a year before I took Angel Heart.

PLAYBOY: Why did you jump back in?

ROURKE: 'Cause I was broke.

PLAYBOY: That's hard to believe.

ROURKE: Look, six months ago, you had more money than I did.

PLAYBOY: We doubt that.

ROURKE: No? I had $300. Listen, I've got to take less money to do the kind of movies I want to do and still be able to live with myself. Since working with Francis on Rumble Fish, I've been heading in the direction I want to go; I'm not giving in to money to please the masses. 'Cause in the end, even if I could be making a million more on material I don't like, I'd just spend that million, too. I'm never gonna be a wealthy man, because I spend my money and give it away too quickly.

PLAYBOY: You're supposed to be a soft touch. True?

ROURKE: Call it whatever you want. Sometimes I get a chunk of money and it's hard for me to let it sit.

PLAYBOY: Where does it go?

ROURKE: It depends. My family, my brother. Plus, I got a very, very expensive motorcycle habit. You know, some people meditate, some people like to chant, some people smoke cigars or stand on their head—what I do is ride my motorcycle. I can get on the bike and get clearer than anywhere else.

PLAYBOY: That still must leave a little something in the bank.

ROURKE: A lot of money goes into my own research for the movies I do. You'd be surprised at what that adds up to.

PLAYBOY: There's a story about your buying $10,000 worth of clothes and a pinkie ring to try out for your role in The Pope of Greenwich Village.

ROURKE: I also bought $12,000 worth of suits for 9½ Weeks. But they weren't what the director wanted. So now they're hanging in a closet. I sort of fancied the stuff when I bought it.

PLAYBOY: Your movie, A Prayer for the Dying, is about a guy trying to stay true to himself, isn't it?

ROURKE: It's about an IRA man who loses the commitment he had for what he's doing—not because he doesn't believe in the cause but because he takes part in an act that kills innocent bystanders.

PLAYBOY: How do you feel about what's going on in Northern Ireland?

ROURKE: I think the British should get the **** out. That's the way I feel. It's very much like what happened in the civil rights movement in this country. If you have an Irish Catholic name, it's like it used to be being black in the South. If you can't be Irish and Catholic in Northern Ireland, what the **** are you supposed to do? One of the guys I've been talking to—I shouldn't mention his name—was describing what life over there was like. He was in Long Kesh prison when all those men, Bobby Sands and the Nine, died in the hunger strike. You know the kinds of things they were asking for? The right to wear their own clothes at all times. The right to associate freely with other political prisoners. As the song about them goes: "I'll wear no convict's uniform nor meekly serve my time, that England might brand Ireland's fight 800 years of crime."

PLAYBOY: If you were over there, how do you think you'd react?

ROURKE: If I didn't have a family, I could understand why you'd join the IRA. On the other hand, it's very easy for me to sit here in Los Angeles and discuss what the IRA is doing over in Northern Ireland, because I'm not there. It's a little hypocritical even speaking about it, because I'm not there having to lay my life on the line. All I'm doing is talking about it.

PLAYBOY: Would you like to be identified with the IRA as Sylvester Stallone is with Vietnam and vengeance?

ROURKE: No. I don't want to make a movie about a macho ****ing guy. I don't want to be an Irish Rambo. This will be a film about a man who happened to be born in a country where he was an Irishman yet now allowed to be Irish. I should thank my lucky stars I was born here. Anyway, it's another movie that six people will go see.

PLAYBOY: That seems to be your M.O.

ROURKE: Well, it's like the other night. I was watching the two sweater guys on TV, the fat guy and the skinny one——

PLAYBOY: Ebert and Siskel?

ROURKE: Yeah. I like the guy with the glasses; which one is he?

PLAYBOY: Ebert.

ROURKE: Ebert, right. Nice guy. Anyway, I was watching the two boys on TV talking about the difference between Woody Allen's movies and Spielberg's movies. And they were saying, well, the difference is that Spielberg makes movies for the masses and Woody Allen makes movies for himself. To tell you the truth, I make movies for myself, too. Because we're only here for a cup of coffee, you know. I cannot live this one life that I have trying to please everybody. I can't make my choices on each film I do based on whether it's going to make ten zillion dollars at the box office. I really don't give a ****.

PLAYBOY: Is there one role you're dying to play? One movie you want to make more than any other one?

ROURKE: Yes—Homeboy. It's a movie I've been working on for years. It's a boxing movie, but not a gung-ho Rocky type and not about a champion, like Raging Bull. It's been turned down by the major studios, but we've finally found a producer.

PLAYBOY: What is it about?

ROURKE: It's based on a guy who used to box in the same gym as I did in Miami. He had all the tools; he just had a little trouble upstairs. He was incarcerated at a young age for doing nothing. He shouldn't have gotten the time that he got. After that, it was one thing after another. There was no guidance in his life. There was no love. And if you don't have a certain amount of love, you're going to turn out like a piece of ****. I really believe that.

PLAYBOY: What happened to him?

ROURKE: The last I heard, Johnny was in bad shape. He's either in prison now or on skid row.

PLAYBOY: Why do you want to play him so badly? What does he mean to you?

ROURKE: He was my hero. I never said more than ten words to the guy. I was afraid of him then, or what he represented. I was so in awe of the guy, I just couldn't talk to him. But at the same time, there was some dark ****ing thing when I looked at him. When I looked at him, I was looking at myself. I knew if I kept going—because I had too many distractions, I had such a lack of discipline—I would end up just like him.

PLAYBOY: It sounds like the film your entire life has been leading up to. When do you start?

ROURKE: We're going to start shooting September 1, 1987. I'll take half a year off to fight. It's going to be great. I'll be putting in roles for a lot of my buddies.

PLAYBOY: You write parts for friends?

ROURKE: All I can.

PLAYBOY: Why is that?

ROURKE: That's what it's all about.

PLAYBOY: Because you want to give them work? Or because you think they'll be best for the movie?

ROURKE: Hey, most of my friends who don't act are more interesting than half the guys getting million-dollar salaries.

PLAYBOY: That's a kind of success—being powerful enough in Hollywood to give your pals work. So it's been worth it, including the sacrifices?

ROURKE: Success has changed me in one way, exposed me to a certain level of independence—a kind of selfishness that I'm ashamed of. I got ants in my pants. But the fact is, when I'm working with people I want to, on a project that I respect, I really do love acting. And that's all that matters. It's almost as good as catching somebody with a good left hook.

PLAYBOY: Almost?

ROURKE: That's right, baby. Maybe better.

playboy.com

^Wow thanks for that old interview I will definitely read it when I get some more time, its going to be good!!

I watched "Wild Orchid" yesterday... OMG I was lost in his character...his eyes...the way he acted....

He was so sexy.....

Rourke’s Experiment In Erotica

Versatile young actor goes out on a limb kinky ‘9 1/2 Weeks’ role .

February 23, 1986

By: Roger Ebert

The city smells wet and green in the evening, and there are stories that Malibu is turning to mud and sliding into the sea. I drive a half a block down a little side street off Wilshire, and walk down a passage by the side of a building, through an arch and up some stairs. I push a doorbell and stand in the rain, waiting as a shutter opens in the door. I say I'm there to see Mickey Rourke. The door opens and it's a good-looking brunet who sizes me up. She smiles and says I've got the wrong place. "Mickey's my neighbor, but you can't get there from here" she says.
She tells me how to go back down the steps and take the next left on the passageway. I climb some other steps, and knock on another door. This time I have the right one. The office inside is like a fraternity house, where guys hang out and crack a few beers. Mickey Rourke stands in the middle of the floor, wearing brown leather pants and an orange pullover sweater. There is a battered leather sofa up against one wall, and a TV set that's tuned to an old gangster movie, but playing with the sound turned off. The walls are lined with cork, and there are hundreds of photos pinned to them. There are also newspaper clippings, memos and menus from carry out joints. There is a wooden table sticking out from the wall, and on the table are leather bound copies of the scripts of the movies Mickey has made, like "Diner," "The Pope of Greenwich Village," "Rumblefish" and "Year of the Dragon." The new movie is not between leather covers yet. It is called "9 Weeks," and it stars Rourke and Kim Basinger in the story of a weird love affair between a sweet young woman and a guy who likes to call her up and give her instructions about the strange things they are going to be doing together in the next 45 minutes. "I was prepared to go all the way for this movie," Rourke said. He settled into a corner of the couch and lit a cigarette. "I made a decision. This was a movie where I would go as far as I could go. I went off and got into really good shape, and I thought, OK, I'm gonna make one movie like this. We didn't go as far as I thought we would go. We could have done this film as close to hardcore and total nudity as the R rating would allow." But they didn't. Instead, under the direction of an Englishman named AdrianLyne, whose last movie was "Flashdance," they made a slick, polished experiment in erotica that turns out, at the end, to be surprisingly thoughtful about the issues it addresses. The end is probably not the part, however, that most people will be talking about. They may be talking about Basinger's striptease, or the scene where Rourke blindfolds her and feeds her mysterious things out of the icebox, or the scene where they go to a harness shop and he buys a whip and slashes it through the air. They exchange a significant glance, and so, in their own way, do the sales clerks."9 1/2 Weeks" has been surrounded by controversy ever since it was first announced as a movie project. It is based on a book by a New York woman who signed herself Elizabeth McNeill and claimed she was describing a real experience in which she and a man embarked on a voyage to the farther shores of love. McNeill's identity has recently been revealed - she is a French-Swedish woman named Ingebord Day - and now she is said to be writing a novel about incest. The movie was first announced as a Tri-Star production, then dropped by that studio before it was picked up by MGM/UA, which kept it in the can for months before releasing it, and which was reportedly uneasy about some of the wilder scenes. "I thought it was strange," I said to Rourke, "that there's a scene where you buy a whip but no scene where you use a whip." "There's a scene in the European version where I use a belt," he said. "I tell her it's 1946. We're in a whorehouse in Berlin. I start dropping money and slapping the belt around the room. They tried that out in sneak previews, and I guess the American audiences were offended by it. "The European version is edited a little more boldly than the American version." The whole, big thing with this movie, from the powers that be, was how to market it. How far could we go and turn people on, and how far could we go and turn people off? This was not a movie like `St. Elmo's Fire,' where they knew more or less what they had. "He reached for another cigarette. "The script as it was first written was not the one we shot. It was a little harder. When we did the casting, all the girls came in to test, and we saw hundreds of girls. They were all terrified by the reputation of the project, especially after they had read the script. I gained a lot of regard for Adrian by watching him in the casting process, videotaping various scenes, screen- testing the girls and at the same time, getting a clear idea of what would work onscreen.

With some of the scenes, he went to the extreme, and it was offensive. He was testing how far he could go, and it what direction he could go. He had to weigh all the elements. "Why did you agree to make this movie? Weren't you worried about people talking about how Mickey Rourke had made this kinky movie with all this weird sex in it? "It was something personal. I was ready to go out on a limb. I was willing to fail. I thought his movie might help me grow in different areas, and maybe add some dimensions to myself. "In the film, Rourke plays a man named John, a wealthy options trader who lives in a high- tech apartment and deliberately cultivates a great mystery about himself, so that it is not until almost the last scene that we learn anything personal about him – other than his desire for mastery in sex. Basinger's character is much more rounded. She is an assistant in an art gallery in the SoHo district of Manhattan; she has recently been divorced; she is pretty and smart and has a genuine love of art. She is not an adventurer, and that makes it all the more surprising, the day she goes out for lunch and her eyes meet his, and she knows instantly, powerfully, that this man is going to be important to her. "The first time I ever saw Kim Basinger in the flesh," Rourke said, "was in that scene in the Chinese grocery store when I walked up and said Hi! on the screen, while the cameras were rolling. I was never so nervous in a scene in my life. I had not laid eyes on the girl. There were no rehearsals. Adrian did not want us to grow friendly. We were supposed to be complete strangers, and that's the way it was. "I was a nervous wreck. Usually nothing bothers me when I'm making a movie. But I got the jitters, because I knew the trip the storyline was on. All the intimate things that were going to happen between us. And yet we did not know each other." "Lost weight. Got in shape. Got a haircut and combed my hair straight. Made myself stand up straight and talk clearly. Other actors talk funny and walk stooped over for a performance. With me, it's the other way around. And I went out and bought $11,000 worth of suits that I thought John would wear. Adrian took one look at them and said, Mate, they're all wrong. "I guess they were too flashy for a stockbroker. He said they were more appropriate for the character I played in `The Pope of Greenwich Village.' I didn't know Brooks Brothers. "So you traded them all in? "No, I kept them. I'm gonna wear them. "The relationship between Rourke and Basinger on the screen is never less than absorbing, and sometimes truly electric. Yet their off screen chemistry is rumored to have been less than ideal. With a movie like "9 Weeks," people always want to know what the actors really thought about each other, and in the case of Rourke and Basinger, the answer seems to be as little as possible. Basinger was quoted in a recent article as saying that kissing Rourke was like kissing an ashtray. Rourke is slightly more gallant when he talks about his co-star: "Kim and I didn't talk that much. Believe it or not. We didn't get to know each other as Mickey and Kim. I still don't know who Kim Basinger is. I read an article in Interview magazine where she said she knew me only as John. I'm glad she said that. It was the only way we could have done this particular film. That's what the movie was about. The one thing I do know about Kim is that it was tremendously hard for her as a person to make this kind of a movie. That came through and worked for her." The little room had begun to fill up as we talked. A man named Billy Levy settled behind the desk. They had a little discussion about how best to describe his role, whether as sidekick, right arm, No. 1 man, before settling on a British phrase: "He's my minder." A young, dark-haired woman named Terry Farrell came up the stairs and into the office, and she and Billy lighted cigarettes and started a quiet conversation in the corner, thick as thieves. The TV continued to flicker, and now the rain was beating against the window panes. Billy got up and made coffee in a little kitchen, and gave me a cup. He gave Mickey a tumbler full of a pale brown beverage that looked like tea. I had heard that Rourke might be a difficult interview; he has a reputation in Hollywood as something of a wild man. But he was quiet and thoughtful, and it was interesting how changeable his face was. Most of the time, it looked open and good-humored, with that smile that he lets play around the corners of his mouth in so many of his roles. Only occasionally, as he was reaching for a more difficult thought, did I see a flash of darkness, of the complexity and anger that is probably in there somewhere, and which came out in "Year of the Dragon" and "The Pope of Greenwich Village." When he was making "9 1/2 Weeks," he made an interesting acting choice: He plays a character who is obviously strange and perhaps sinister, but he almost always plays him with an open, boyish charm, a friendliness that is deceptive in some of the movie's touchier scenes.
Rourke is known as a New York actor, a street kid who went into acting almost on a dare. He has not yet had an enormous box-office success, and he's still bitter about the cool reception that "Year of the Dragon" got in some quarters - a reception he blames on the clout of the Chinese Mafia and the hostility of U.S. critics to any film by Michael Cimino after Cimino's disastrous "Heaven's Gate." But Rourke has never been less than interesting on the screen, even in little-seen movies like Nicolas Roeg's "Eureka," which got good reviews but was pulled from release after a shaky start. For a certain kind of male character who needs wildness and passion, an edge of danger and a capacity for playfulness, Rourke would be the first choice of many directors. My eyes fell on the row of leather bound scripts on his desk. "The one thing you always seem to do," I said, "is work with interesting directors. Adrian Lyne. Francis Coppola. Barry Levinson. Michael Cimino. Nicolas Roeg. "The thing I liked about Adrian's work," Rourke said, "was that he is a director who is a high stylist. Flashdance' was not my favorite picture of all time, but it was his touch that brought out what was really just a commercial kind of thing. It needed a director who could really light scene.

Not just throw in some lights and shoot, but really light to create an effect. And I also liked that he prefers to direct movies for women and about women, which is not the norm for most directors hands, who knows how it would have turned out? Adrian was the right director for it. Me and Adrian fought like cats and dogs. He calls me crazy and I call him neurotic. But he was right for this project. "What I look for in a director is a project that he's personally really turned on by. Like if anybody else sent me `Rumblefish' but Francis Ford Coppola, I wouldn't have made it, but I knew he would put his own spin on the material. When Cimino made `Year of the Dragon,' I've never seen a director who was better prepared, more up on his subject, better to work with. That was a good movie, but the press kept seeing this dark cloud over Michael's head because of the problems with `Heaven's Gate,' and they wouldn't be fair to the new movie he had made. "When I made `Diner' with Barry Levinson, it was about a bunch of guys he used to hang out with. I never hung out with guys like that. They would have been too square for me. But he knew those guys, and he wanted to tell the story, and that made it right for the movie” I remembered stories about Rourke's early days as a tough guy, a professional boxer, conning his way through the lower echelons of New York. I asked Rourke what kinds of guys he used to hang out with. He smiled and shrugged. "I don't talk about those days anymore," he said. "The story has been told. I don't want to tell it anymore." "Show him the picture," Billy said, from behind the desk. "Oh, yeah," Rourke said. "I ought a show you the picture." Billy gave him a framed photograph and he handed it over. "Mickey Rourke in the early days," he said. It showed him standing behind an ice cream cart. "Selling Good Humor bars in Central Park, across from the Mayflower Hotel," he said. “That was seven years ago." And now you're a movie star. "When I go to New York, I usually stay at the Mayflower. I like to look out the window at my old position."

uniquelyrourke

Acting Out ::

By Margy Rochlin

American Film

November 1987

Mickey Rourke’s office, located in a Spanish-style apartment complex in Beverly Hills, has the forest-green walls and brown-stained wooden furniture of a gentleman’s private den. The antiseptically tidy rooms are not what you’d expect from an actor whose personal taste runs to gamy-looking clothes and a slippery pompadour.

Rourke was born sometime between 1950 and 1956 (the date mysteriously fluctuates in various profiles) in Schenectady, New York, and was raised in the tough, black Miami neighborhood of Liberty City. His appeal is built on America’s attraction to troubled hard guys with detached-but-sweet smiles. The characters he’s portrayed in Body Heat, Diner, Rumble Fish, The Pope of Greenwich Village, 9 ½ Weeks, Year of the Dragon and Angel Heart display a psychology textbook’s worth of dysfunctional conditions.

In Barbet Schroeder’s Barfly, he approximates poet Charles Bukowski as alter ego Henry Chinaski, with an adenoidal wheeze, a rolling “Alley Oop” walk, and an unwashed appearance so authentic you can almost catch the eye-watering down breeze. But today, when Rourke roars up on a vintage Harley Davidson, he looks almost pink scrubbed, wearing- on an oppressively hot day - a black Hugo Boss sweatshirt and leather vest.

The minute he crosses his motorcycle booted feet on his desk, it’s time for business. He’s willing to respond to any question and even his most embittered views are delivered in the same quaking, hesitant tone of voice.

This vulnerability many have been connected to his work on Mike Hodges’s A Prayer for the Dying. Rourke claims his four months of meticulous research and dialogue study for the film were sabotaged because of the studio’s quest to “make a commercialized version of a thriller.” (Since then Hodges’s has requested that his own name be removed from the film.)

“They’ve put it in the papers that they paid me a million dollars, which I was happy enough to get, says Rourke of the latest installment in the ongoing public dispute. “Well, I’ve turned down movies for two and three million dollars. Everyone in this town knows I cannot be bought.”

Question: How did you get involved with Barfly?

Mickey Rourke: I’m not a Bukowski devotee, though there’s a lot of people that live and die by what the guy says. I respect him enough to hang his picture in my office, but it isn’t like somebody mentions Bukowski and I flip out. So it was through Barbet Schroeder. He came to England while I was working -unfortunately-on A Prayer for the Dying, and close to a nervous breakdown.

Question: Why?

Mickey Rourke: I had worked for four months with Brendan Gunn, a dialogue teacher, on a Northern Ireland accent. Which was really hard to do. I wanted, in this particular film, to maintain a certain concentration with the dialect. The first day of shooting, I had a line “If you’re dead, does it matter?” And with a Northern Ireland accent, it come out more (in a thick , Irish brogues), “If yer daed, does it motter?” And this guy come over to me, this little ****face, and he goes (accusingly), “What did you say?” And I say to someone “Who’s he?” And they say “That’s Larry Jackson from (Samuel) Goldwyn’s company.” And he’s sitting there telling me “Do you have to say it like that?” And I say, “You guys are the ones who wanted me to do this movie; you wanted an actor who could do the accent.” And he says, “Yeah, but not that way. Could you lighten up a little?” That’s were it started. And it went like that from the first day of the shoot all the way to the last.

What (my breakdown) was really all about was a hatred for them, for hustling me to pimp, to make money for them by making their kind of movie. A doctor had to come and give me sedatives almost every day. I couldn’t speak, get words out of my mouth. My hands would start going like this (makes a trembling, spastic motion), and I had no control over it. I had to talk long distance to a head doctor here in California, because when I get angry and have to keep it inside I get sick.

Question: What kind of advice did the psychiatrist give you?

Mickey Rourke: I didn’t go to a shrink. I’d go to a priest before I’d go to a shrink. (Long pause. Laughs.) I did go to a shrink, I have to admit. But I felt like I needed a priest. We talked about the fact that I was in a very serious place, and I was fighting a losing battle. The shrink said, “You’re on a ledge and you can go either way.” He told me, “Look, you got two weeks left. If you had six weeks left, I would seriously tell you that you could not continue to finish the movie in this state of mind.”

I told the shrink that I didn’t want to take the pills the doctor gave me. He sent me a (relaxation) tape to listen to so I could try to sleep at night, so I was at the point where I could get myself just enough together to go to work.

But, I couldn’t even leave my hotel room to talk to Barbet (when he came to England). Between you, me, and the birds, I had no intention of going back to work for a long, long time. But Barbet kept coming around. The more he kept coming around, the more I kept running away from him. To be quite honest, I was terrified of losing my mind, terrified of going to work again. And I didn’t know Barbet; it wasn’t like Cimino, or Coppola, or Nic Roeg, or Alan Parker - directors that I trust.

When I was back in L.A., Barbet and Bukowski came here one night and everything was real calm. Barbet didn’t yet know what had happened in England, you know, and I was ashamed to tell him. Buckowski seemed like a nice guy, and interesting. Under normal circumstances, I would have met with the director every day, talked the character out. But I was still fragile. So we met again in two weeks, then again a week after that. Then, because it was Cannon Films and you know how they are.

Question: How are they?

Rourke: Very difficult for a lot of film makers to deal with. Barbet was fighting to maintain a certain dream of his, and make that dream clear to Menahem (Golan, Cannon’s chairman of the board). At one point, Barbet threatened to cut his (own) finger off. I guess he finally got what he wanted. Anyway, I was hearing all these stories, and it wasn’t doing me any good.

Question: What kind of research did you do for the part?

Rourke: I had no time to do any research, nor did I care to do any. Mentally, I wasn’t about to. Psychologically, I really didn’t give a ****. Artistically, I didn’t want to make the character clichéd. I wanted to give him sort of a life of his own.

I was drawing off the fact that I really didn’t care if I stunk or not. That gave me a certain freedom to go all the way with the character. To me, that was growth in itself: It maybe has been a little self-destructive, but it gave me the sense that I really didn’t have anything to prove.

You know, my father died very young from drink. I have always been a little wary of drunks. I don’t have much use for people who turn to drink under pressure. I don’t like what alcohol or stimulants do to you - being out of control. I don’t see drinking as romantically as people who haven’t experienced it think it is. And I think Bukowski knew I felt that way.

When Year of the Dragon came out and the critic slaughtered it to pieces and ripped Cimino a new *******, I was taking a drive with him and he says “Let me tell you a story: I know a director who made a movie once, and as soon as the reviews came out, he got a bottle of whiskey and went to bed and didn’t get out of bed for the rest of his life.” Michael says “That’s what they want you to do.” And to me, Barfly is about people who’ve given up. (Drinking) is Bukowski’s choice, but I don’t have to respect him for it. But I can still play that kind of a character, go through the motions.

Question: Where did that voice come from?

Rourke: That was as close to Bukowski as I could come. Whiny. It was a choice I made moments before we went out to do the first scene.

Question: You’ve spoken in the past year about you disillusionment with acting. Did Barfly revitalize you feelings?

Rourke: Nope.

Question: So what will you do?

Rourke: I’ll continue to go my own way with directors who appreciate good acting. There’s a lot of European directors who like my work. A lot of American ones are so brainwashed by the level of garbage they make that they can’t see beyond their noses. Also, I continue to do this because there’s not really any other profession I can do that’ll pay me what making movies will. So I can’t complain, can I?

Question: Film critic John Powers has said that of all the young stars, you’re the one who always tries to make a good movie that adults want to see.

Rourke: I don’t give a **** about what any of the critics in this country say. I don’t recognize them.

Question: OK, but consider the point.

Rourke: I’d rather wash dishes than do the **** (actors) do here. I don’t make the Rat Pack- whaddyacallit - Brat Pack movies, and the mediocre, safe movies that a lot of American actors are in. Somebody said about me “Well, none of his movies make any money.” Well, look at the movies that do make money. When I was at the Actors Studio, I was naive enough to think that acting was what mattered - not all the politics and hype. The way I defended Cimino after Year of the Dragon, I didn’t realize that would keep me out of work for a year and a half.

This town is made up of people who have inherited their positions, who’ve never really had to go without. The majority of your young successful actors right now have parents in the business or around the business. It was all handed to them. They understand their own. But I’ve earned my right to be where I am. Look, I’ve sold chestnuts in Central Park. I’m not afraid to go back there and do it again. It’s better to do that and keep your mind and your soul than it is to lose them to cocksuckers. I feel (the film industry) take a lot of the good out of you. I was more at peace with myself before I was successful - and that’s very confusing to me.

same source

Mickey’s No Angel

Philip Wuntch

Film Critic

March 12, 1987

The very intense Mr. Rourke isn't loath to voice his strong opinions.

LOS ANGELES -- Mickey Rourke is stating his mind. He's expressing his opinions. He's speaking his piece. Rourke, the star of the hot, riveting, sexy and violent Angel Heart, has earned a reputation for not following the norm. It doesn't seem to bother him at all. "Listen, baby, the only way I can get through the day is not to take the movie industry seriously. Man, I just go in, do my job, go home. I'm here right now to publicize Angel Heart as a favor to Alan,' he said, referring to director Alan Parker. Before long, he may not be doing much of anything in the States. "Eventually, I feel sure I'm going to relocate in Europe. I'm just too dissatisfied with the life here -- the movies, the attitudes, everything. 'Rourke always has been an impressive presence on film. Movie goers first noticed him as the intense arsonist in Body Heat, in which he practically blew William Hurt off the screen during their scenes together. He won raves for his warmhearted ladies' man in Diner – a film about coming of age in Baltimore that practically everyone, except Rourke, seems to have liked. Since Diner, the critical reaction to Rourke's performances has been mixed, but even the severest reviews have given him points for being interesting. He played Matt Dillon's revered older brother in Francis Coppola's Rumble Fish and an ineffectual thief in The Pope of Greenwich Village. He then portrayed a tough, doomed New York cop in Michael Cimino's Year of the Dragon and, most notoriously, a slightly kinky businessman in 9 1/2 Weeks. He appeared at the early afternoon Angel Heart interviews unshaven and unkempt, having been shooting his current movie, Barfly, until 7 a.m. He doodled on a paper napkin constantly during the interview. "I don't want to come on too strong about this,' he said, "but I just jibe a little better with those European guys. 'He speaks slowly, softly, as befits a man who has had little sleep. But his disillusionment is obvious. "You can take just so many Brat Pack movies, you know? Those movies are made because they don't really offend anyone. I just did a film called Prayer for the Dying with Bob Hoskins, a good actor who's willing to take risks. It's about Northern Ireland. But the producer, Sam Goldwyn Jr., wants to turn it into a big shoot-'em-up, and he's lousing up everything. But that's the influence of the American movie system. "There is definitely something wrong with an industry in which the works of Scorsese, Cimino and Coppola are reviewed by someone like Rex Reed. I mean, Rex Reed! Those men are artists, and they're supposed to take Rex Reed seriously. Have you ever listened to Rex Reed? You can't take a system seriously that allows Rex Reed to be a practicing critic. 'He says that if he had been in a position of power at the time, he would have turned down both Diner and Body Heat. "Diner wasn't my kind of film. And Body Heat . . . well, people remember me from it, but my role was very short. It just took one day to shoot most of it, and I've got better things to do than sit on a bunk bed all day and talk to William Hurt.' "Oh, baby, really? William Hurt, intense? . . . Well, maybe so, maybe not. I do know that when you look at who the stars over here in the United States are -- hey, baby, I don't want to be included.' Rourke's previous film, 9 1/2 Weeks, also comes in for its share of criticism. "That film should have been made as an "X.' But we wound up making a mediocre movie in order to appease various groups. I mean, if you're gonna make 9 1/2 Weeks, let's damn well make 9 1/2 Weeks. It wound up looking like Flashdance. 'He's obviously a hard man to please. So what does he look for in a script? "Few lines and short schedules,' Rourke replies. Someone should have told Rourke that Spencer Tracy said it better 40years ago. When asked what he looked for in a script, Tracy said, "Days off.' The thought sounded more amusing when Tracy said it.

same source

Mickey Makes Up
By: Julie Baumgold
Elle Magazine
June 95' Edition

He brawls, he brags, he trashes hotel suites. Now, Mickey Rourke is cleaning up his act. But will his fans adore the banker as much as the boxer? Julie Baumgold checks out his new image.

Mickey Makes Up

Looking down on his skinny leather knee, I saw the smudge of movie make-up that didn’t quite cover the tattoo under his thumb. The model came down the runway, He jiggled his pointed boot toe, "I call that one the Sleepwalker," said Mickey Rourke. "She always looks like she is walking in her sleep."

"I bet you could wake her up," I said.

"I bet I could," whispered Rourke. He turned to me and I saw stubble, a bit of grease on the hair, dark shades over nightclub eyes, and we both laughed, for he is such a bad boy.

I know the type. Bad boys drink and spill red wine on carpets. They turn over lamps on their way to pulling some model down on the bed. They need bodyguards to keep them from slugging photographers and making fools of themselves. They kick girls out of bed and make them take cabs home. They don’t walk them to the door or call, yet women love them because they are thin and have a look that says, "This is it for you, babe." Or at least, "This could be it, if I decided to bother." Rourke used to do some of those things but he’s trying to reform.

He and I watched the models and discussed their sparring styles as they danced down the runway in boxing gloves and satin shorts. When the show was over, Rourke’s minders pulled him up onto the runway and the photographers closed in, for that particular week he was big news, a tabloid dream boy: Mickey the model stalker. Mickey the hotel trasher. Mickey moving through the night on his own whirl-wind of fear as his terrified on-again-off-again ex girlfriend, Carre Otis (they have since got back together), fled . He was tough Mickey Rourke with his pack of minders, closing down clubs, slumped in a booth eyeing teenage models at play, a cigarette dangling from the corner of his mouth. Rourke, a tough guy connected to tough guys, storming around New York full of threat and thunder, ready to explode - or at least that’s the impression he would like to give : quiet threat followed by the hush of respect. He is from Miami slums and has had a hard life, some of it his own making. He has been a bouncer in transvestite clubs, lived in dives, ridden his Harley, and sat in courtrooms to support friends such as mafia boss John Gotti. His only higher education was when an older, gay man gave him books and took him to the theatre. His age is somewhere between 38 and 43. Eight years ago, he walked away from movie stardom but now he’s back and ready to behave. Almost.

After fate had seated us together at Ralph Lauren’s New York show, I felt an impulse to re-acquaint myself with his oeuvre. In some of his films, he specializes in making nice girls do things they would never have done before - like crawl. He brings the decent girl to the edge to stare with him into the void, delirious with freshly discovered sexual joy.

"Haven’t you ever felt like that – primal, insatiably, hungry?" he says to Carre Otis in Wild Orchid, as she watches a woman bouncing ecstatically on a man’s naked lap in the back of a limousine. Or, "Gorman’s like a virus. Once you get him, he won’t go away," says a woman of Rourke’s character in White Sands.

From his performance as John, the Wall Street arbitrageur with stubble and a good overcoat in 9/12 Weeks, certain hoarsely muttered lines remain: "Will you take your dress off?"; May I blindfold you?" And then there is John holding the ice cube over Kim Basinger’s character, stroking her with it, running it under her panty rim, the drop falling into her pearly concavities. John feeding her cherries with her eyes closed: rubbing her long legs with honey; and picking out the riding crops.

Rourke film image is full of danger and risk. He is a guy like Gorman, who puts a gun to a woman’s head and pulls the trigger just to see the look in her eyes. His look is film noir, a person after a hard night, a lost soul could who could be redeemed by the love of a woman, whom he’d then corrupt because of circumstances beyond his control.

When fevered characters like this are cured, they are pale specters. Veneers of good health, good intentions and expensive sunglasses can’t mask their eyes, which are red because they are contrary devils. Sometimes they look dirty and don’t shave. Sometimes they have dirt under their nails. They look hard at any woman just to give her a thrill.

They wear boots and do not change their socks. Rourke, however, is very clean and co-operative too, for hours.

After the shows, we meet again for a photographic shoot. He is wearing a long, black leather jacket over a sleeveless undershirt; a gold chain; low-riding, wide tan pants, possibly silk, which kind of sink below his flat, muscled stomach; and big, new white sneakers in which he could dance like a boxer if he wanted. His arms are covered with tattoos of things that look like daggers and scorpions, disturbing things you don’t want to look at too closely. One is a cross that says CARRE FOREVER. He is naked under his pants, which creates a moment of confusion and a brief halt in proceedings. The fashion director asks the associate fashion editor to go out and buy some underwear.

"Anything but Calvin Klein," says Rourke, who was not allowed into Calvin’s show. "I never wear underwear. You wear underwear? " he asks his friends. One of them is his PR man, Richard Pollmann, whose other clients include Heidi Fleiss and Tupac Shakur, who has recently finished filming Bullet with Rourke. Tupac, who has just been convicted of sexual abuse, is in the hospital, having five bullet wounds treated. Pollmann specializes in trouble. He spends a lot of time on his portable phone, fending off low-rent requests.

As Rourke goes through a rack of suits, trying on the jackets, he shows an arcane knowledge of clothes. "Do you know that flowered shirt from Dolce ( & Gabbana) , the one with the double cuffs?" he asks the stylist. "I haven’t worn a single- breasted three -piece suit in years," he says, but actually he has a bedroom just for his clothes. He has 73 suits and 26 tuxedos. When he goes into a store, he always says, I want two of these, three of those. He can go 10 rounds with a pro and spot Gucci shoes.

He sits down at the mirror. His face is slightly crooked and full of injuries a movie star should not have. He has a haematoma about his lip that hurts. He has a split cheek- bone and can’t see well out of one eye. His nose cartilage has been severely disrupted. It hurts to shave but he does because he is behaving.

Eight years ago, after making the movie, 9/12 Weeks, Rourke gave up on Hollywood because making movies was "too easy." Also, the passion was gone.

"Where is your passion?" I asked him, knowing I was approaching very dangerous territory.

"I’m looking for it, "he said.

He went to Miami, boxed professionally, and made movies when the money ran out. He had nine fights and won seven. He has three more bouts planned and says he will stop at 13. But he’s back to acting now.

"I tore myself down so low after making 91/2 Weeks. I did not want to be that guy in the long, dark coat. I went broke, so now I’m back to the long, dark coat.

"I’ve had one broken cheekbone, two broken ribs, a broken toe, four broken knuckles, a split tongue..."

Rourke , like other artists, understands that you have to take the forbidden risks, face your demons and invent new ones. You must dance out on that shaky limb, even if you know it will crack and you can hear it splintering.

So Rourke loved and fought and was jeered as a dilettante during this time. He made a few movies but feels he sank pretty low into the bog. He spent years running away from the movie star with the high hair and pretty-boy face.

He shaved his head, got his faced messed up ‘But it’s okay. I understand now. Today, its’ not acting . It’s a business. You can do it on steroids...You make $10 million a movie, take a lot of steroids and be a movie star. I’m not angry at doing it."
He puts his jocks on his head and whacks me with them as he goes to the bathroom to stick his freshly trimmed and groomed head in the sink before he walks out onto the set. "I’m ready to go to court," he says surveying himself in the first suit. All the handlers are hunched over phones.

His friend, Steve, and ex-model, is reading or talking into the phone, making plans for the night, which, for Rourke usually goes on until 9:30 in the morning.

"I eat only one meal a day. That’s how I keep in shape, he says. It’s kinda of a breakfast-lunch meal, and then he sits in restaurants, picking at his dinner and waiting for the dark. He spends a lot of time preparing for the clubs. They take a picture of him in a stocking cap and Versace leather pants, looking wasted, like trouble. He has a lot of carefully cultivated poses but never looks at pictures of himself. Nor does he read articles about himself, he feels they have all trashed him. He does his best work on the first take.

"And in the last round," he says.

"Are you going to a retire champ?"

"Just not defeated," he says.

Beautiful women fear him. Men look at him and want to punch him out or lure him to bed -or so the legend goes.

Actually, he can be a gentle soul, a man who can love to the point of obsession and perhaps violence. His dogs are Chihuahua’s. Want to make something of it?

Rourke says the maker of 91/2 Weeks wants him to do a sequel. I tell him I wondered why he and Basinger never got together, and that I saw four of his movies the previous day. When I tell him which ones, he pulls faces, saying he hates them. He would have chosen FTW (which stands for "**** The World") , Francesco ( in which he was Saint Francis of Assisi ) and Homeboy.

He is out on the set, looking cool in his suits, turning his good side – the right – to the camera. ‘Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door’ plays at his request. Richard Pollmann is on phone with a woman. "Tell her to jump out the window, headfirst," says Rourke , who despite his suit , has not completely evolved into a good boy. I think how I would dress him against type : leather and cashmere , jeans with a vicuna coat, evening slippers , boxer shorts , loafers of a feminine cut, scarves , a poet’s shirt with Armani velvet pants, and a glass in his hand in a dim restaurant as he prepares to step into the moonlight , his kindest medium.Or nothing.

"He wants to buy all the clothes he has worn," says Pollmann .We are many hours into the shoot, and Rourke has a lot of pain in the lip awaiting surgery. “You look like a banker “says Pollmann. Rourke punches him in the arm. Pollmann cradles the arm, which really hurts and, since it’s his phone arm, it’s a crucial appendage.

"Hey your hands are lethal weapons," someone says.

"My hands are my penis," says Rourke.

Losi, the hairstylist, whom he insists on calling Lulu, is working on him. "Don’t give him horns," someone says.

"Where’s my girl?" he says, meaning his buddy, Steve. He wants another cigarette. His eyes squint. His face is full of pending trouble. Everyone applauds at the end of the shoot. His good-boy clothes are put away, and he’s back in his leather and shades. Like a gent and the stand-up guy-star he is, Rourke shakes hands and thanks people. When he wants to make a deal, his handshake is firm, but when Mickey Rourke says goodbye, his hand melts away, barely a clasp. Sometimes it’s hard to say goodbye at the right time, especially for a fighter.

same source

Collin Constable
Mean Magazine
November/December 2000

From 1981 to 1987 Mickey Rourke was the silver screen’s favorite disillusioned, defiant bad ***. After turning in legendary performances as Robert “Boogie” Sheftell in Barry Levinson’s Diner and Motorcycle Boy in Francis Ford Coppola’s Rumble Fish, it seemed like Rourke was destined for James Dean status. Women wanted to **** him and men wanted to **** like him after watching him in Adrian Lynes’ elegantly crafted straight-to-theater-sadistic, soft core-p*rn flick, 9 ½ Weeks with Kim Basinger.

How did you prepare for your role as a cross-dressing inmate in The Animal Factory?

Well, I was pretty lucky because when I was 18 I worked at a transvestite club in Miami Beach. It was security and it was kind of lively, you know. I remember one night I met a great- looking redhead, and I was halfway out the door with her when the doorman, who I’d known since I was seven years old, said “hey, come here! I’m gonna tell your mama.” I said “hey come on.” he insisted “hey, hey, that’s not what you think it is.” I said “I don’t care.” I chickened out in the end, though. Then when I came out to LA., I couldn’t get a job as a waiter or anything else, so I ended up going to this place on Hollywood Boulevard- a transvestite night club called Danielle’s - and I ended up working security. I was 24 or 25 and that was pretty lively as well.

You didn’t really need to prepare for this role then?

Well, no. I asked him what the role was about, thinking it was going to be one of the convicts. He said I would play a transvestite, and I said “what?” He laughed and I really thought he was kidding me. I’m thinking, “I’m pretty far from a transvestite. “ He caught me by surprise; the air went out of me. I got the script sent to me and I looked at it. I thought for me to go to work on a movie without a big budget, the director has to be someone I respect and who’s credible. I like Willem [Defoe], I like Eddie Bunker, and I like Danny Trejo...so you know. There was a reading; I went and it was fun. About two weeks before I was suppose to leave, I started getting into it really heavy. I started thinking that I’m going to work from the outside in. I was thinking, “How am I going to dress this guy?” I went to Santa Monica Boulevard, and I went into all of the leather shops, you know. It was nice because it was prison so I was confined to a certain outfit. In prison you could wear jeans, right? I went out and I got these Levis that got elasticity in them; I sent them to Henry Duarte’s on Sunset, and had Henry cut them so they were like hip hug-huggers. I lift weights, so I’m really good at dieting. I lost about 22 pounds, and I got way under my normal weight. I got the hip huggers, and then I went down to Hollywood Boulevard, You know those fluffy shoes with spikes that have the fur ball in the front?

Yeah.

I had a shoemaker on Hollywood Boulevard chop off the heel, so they looked like slippers, you know. I had a pair of those that were powder blue. Then I went to the Pleasure Chest {the sex shop of all sex shops in LA], and got some really metallic green and red g-strings. I had those come up a little bit above the jeans. I picked out three bras-a green one, a red one and a plaid colored one. I think we settled for the red. They were real satin-real pretty. Then I remembered the character is in jail, so I liked the fact that I was limited because the queens can only have a certain things, you know what I mean. So, what I did was I got a cowboy shirt that was really tight fitting, and I cut the sleeves off and tied it up above the waist. Then I was having fun: I was on a roll. I went to Mark Mahoney’s tattoo parlor and the piercer there had those big-gauge earrings to pierce me with. Man, that hurt! The think what hurt the most was the belly ring.

This role is depicting a sad and horrible situation, but there’s a sense of comic relief to Jan, the actress character.

I didn’t look at this as comedy, you see. When you spend as many years in jail as these characters did, you become institutionalized. What you do is your try to make the best and the most out of the world you live in. All you have day-to-day is what’s in your head. I had her improvise this whole thing about wanting to go to Paris and become a butterfly.

Basically you become kind of delusional.

Yeah. I remember I was doing some research on a script I was working on, and I went to death row in Angola and talked to the wardens and the inmates. Almost everybody on death row really thinks they’re getting out. I asked Warden Kane, “why do these guys all think they’re getting out” He said, “if they didn’t, they’d go mad.” I had fun with the role. Steve had a nice feel on the set: he was real professional. The only mistake I made was that I went to Beverly Hills. They did my eyebrows they did my make-up and lipstick and everything. Then, I flew like that with the jeans and the cowboy shirt on the plane. I’ll never do that again. When I showed up on the set and said hello to Steve, he didn’t even recognize me.

What are your thoughts on the American way of capital punishment?

I’m working on a script right now about a woman who gets the death penalty called Killer Moon.

Are you writing it as Mickey Rourke, or are you using your alias?

I always write under Eddie Cook. What I’ve found-I’ve read books and done research for two or three years on this particular subject matter-is that about 85-90% of the wardens in this country are against capital punishment. Look: it’s the poor, the uneducated and the abused that commit crimes in their teens and early 20's. For their crimes, they are kept in cells that are nine by eleven feet for anywhere from nine to sixteen years. Then, they are executed. Most of the executions that are done with the electric chairs have been messed up; people fried to death, burned or caught fire. Now they have the lethal injection and everyone thinks that humane, but it’s actually the worst torture in the world. All the inmates already know this. The first injection’s the sedative, right? The second injection is the beginning of the end: it closes down the lungs. The third and final injection-you don’t see somebody with their eyeballs rolling, jerking up and down, because every organ in the body shuts off. They’re smothering to death with their eyes open. You see someone lying there calmly on the table, but you damn well know the person’s suffocating to death. Everybody on death row is hip to this. This month in Texas they executed between four and six people, and this prick Bush is running for President. Fifty to sixty years from now, they’re going to look back at this country and view capital punishment as barbaric. They know nothing about it, and they sign off on these things. Many of the people who go on death row are poor and being represented by inexperienced trial lawyers.

It’s been like for a while now.

Yeah, but hey keep it quiet. Aside from a few countries in the Middle East, nobody else does capital punishment.

Have you ever been institutionalized?

No, I haven’t, but I have brothers who have been institutionalized for long periods of time.

How have stabilized your personal life since those tumultuous days, and how do you intend to keep yourself focused on your second wind?

Yeah, well you know, sometimes a person has got to fall to the bottom before they can come back up. Let me put it to you this way: Before there was religion, there was philosophy. If you make the same mistakes the second half of your life that you made in the first half, then what the hell were you born for? I was a professional fighter, and when I left the fighting I knew I would miss something, So, I meet a Korean man and I do martial arts with him. I use that to stabilize my day. I do a lot of the slow breathing and relaxation techniques. At his point in my life I do that instead of getting my head banged in.

Tell me about you part in the upcoming Sean Penn film, The Pledge.

That was a great experience. It was only a four or five minute scene with (Jack) Nicholson-but I worked on it for three months.

Wow, why is that?

Well, I knew Sean wanted me to do it because he knew I could deliver, and my other goal was to show Jack something he’d never seen before.

Which is?

Well, you know, whatever. I felt like I accomplished my mission, which made me happy. You never know-when you see someone in a scene for four minutes-you don’t know they’ve been working on that scene for three months.

Can you talk about your character in The Pledge?

Well, the movie is about Jack’s character; a policeman who is tracking down a serial killer who kills children. So, at different points in the story, you see these different people who lost children over a period of years. I’m a guy that was probably normal at one time-prior to my child disappearing on her way to school three years earlier. So, I’m in a nursing home working as a burned-out janitor, just looking out the window. Jack come in and asks me questions about my little girl, and it segues into the story. The great thing about it was working with Sean and Nicholson. Even though we shot for only a day, it was one of my most pleasurable experiences in the film.

Tell me about Get Carter.

Well, I got that role thanks to Sylvester [Stallone] because the Powers That Be were very nervous about me. For many reasons, I gave everyone 14 years to feel that way. Sly saw me at a restaurant one night, and I didn’t have the entourage from hell with me. I was alone for the first time in 14 years, and almost a human being. Sly and I talked, and three days later I got a call from his producer, who offered really low money and I turned it down. Then, Sly called me a couple days later and said, “they’re throwing all kinds of guys at me for this part and I’m picking my teeth with all of them. I want you to do it.” I said, “well Sly I appreciate what you did.” Then he said, “is the guy offering you a disrespectful amount of money?” and I said, “yeah.” Then he said, “would you do it for such and such?” and I said, “I would do it in a ****ing heart beat.” He said, “I'll call you back in five minutes.” So he calls me back three minutes later and says, “we’re in.” He’s a guy who’s really experienced in making movies and he’s a perfectionist. Whatever anybody has to say about him, like him or not, the guy’s got old-school values-he’s a gentleman. There was a scene in the film where we’re having a confrontation. I’m sitting there and nobody sprayed me down, in the middle of the scene he goes, ”Hold it, hold it, hold it,” picks up a water bottle and sprays me down. I thought, “****, no actor has ever done that for me before” People can bring someone to another level and he brought me to another level. Stephen Kay, the director, is the bomb. I’d make three pictures in a row with him if I could.

It seems that your friends like Stallone, Coppola and Penn have been really supportive in your resurfacing into mainstream films. What sort of traits have you worked on the have re-instilled their faith in you?

One day you find yourself alone in life-in a hole so dark and evil only you can dig yourself out. You got to work, and you got to work real hard to get out because years go by and there’s no daylight. You keep praying to God, “Let me have some daylight, and I’ll do the rest.” It didn’t happen overnight. It took years. Nobody would ever know except The Man Upstairs.

Is it true that you worked on The Thin Red Line with Terrence Malick?

Yes I did. It probably got cut because, um you’ll have to talk to Terrence Malick. Let me put it to you this way: I think if Terry had his way, I would have made it into the movie...

How was it like to work with Terrence Malick?

****ing incredible! It’s like a professional boxer who hadn’t stepped in the ring for 16 years and comes back and does it and doesn’t miss a beat. I’m sure if he had his pick, that wouldn’t be the film he would have come back and made. I think Terry Malick has got some great films in him.

Can you clarify the incident that erupted between yourself, your Chihuahua Bojack, and the producers Luck of the Draw?
This director wanted me in his movie. I knew the producer was this really-out-of-control woman. So, I said to the guy I’ll be in your movie, but I’m really scared of her because her rep is worse than mine. He shook my hand and everything, then promised me she wouldn’t be around. She didn’t want me, but the director did. I was going to do a scene with Eric Roberts and Dennis Hopper and I was going to get killed. Dennis, Ice T and Eric have this whole dialogue, and I’m standing there literally for three minutes before I say anything, and I say one word when I go in. So, I gave myself an activity, and my activity was my dog because I knew the character was going to go in and get killed. I didn’t want to go in as a victim, so I ad-libbed “Just love him a little.” I asked the director and he agreed it. We rehearsed it four or five times, and then there was a little pow-wow for about five minutes, and he comes over and says “You can’t use the dog.” I said “We just rehearsed it. Do you have a better activity?” and he looked over at her. I said, “You told me...You ****ing lied to me that she wouldn’t be around. Francis Coppola, Adrien Lyne, Alan Parker, Terrence Malick would never have a producer sitting in a ****ing seat across the room, and tell the director to tell the actor what ****ing activity to work on!” So this scared-*** director with no balls-and I told him he’ll never have any-says, “No Mickey you got to......” I said, “I’m sorry.” Then Dennis Hopper’s assistant come over and says, “Somebody’s driving over to replace you.” Of course they put this **** in the paper, right? But the bond company sided with me, paid me off and took the ****ing movie away from her. I think once you have your head on straight, everything happens in life the way it’s supposed to. Even if it hurts that day, it’ll work out in the big picture.
One last rumor to rest: I heard a rumor that you and one of your fingers axed. Is that true?
No comment.
No comment. Gotcha.
You meant that I supposedly cut it off myself?
No, I’m saying that you might have cut it off by accident.
I’ve done very little in my life by accident.
same source

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->