Midi skirt is hailed as unexpected fashion hit of summer

lucy92

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
Midi skirt is hailed as unexpected fashion hit of summer

Loved by Victoria Beckham and hipsters at Coachella, the length once seen as dowdy is perfect in unpredictable English weather

As the British summer falls flat on its face with yet another false start, a new fashion trend is on the rise. The midi-length skirt – with a hemline which falls below the knee and is most often written off as dowdy – is on course to be the sleeper fashion hit of the summer.
Thanks to an unlikely trio of factors including the blustery weather throughout the spring, Victoria Beckham's much-photographed personal wardrobe and a glut of hipster pop stars pictured at the Coachella festival, in California the midiskirt is being hailed as the skirt of the season.
The shape even scored a red carpet success earlier in the week. Fashion commentators praised the actor Carey Mulligan's appearance at the Met Ball in New York wearing a midi-length dress by Balenciaga at fashion's most high-profile event.
"The midi is grownup but slightly subversive," says Katherine Ormerod, senior fashion news and features editor at the magazine Grazia, "and that is a winning combination."
"It's a length that has been ignored for some time but women are rediscovering it," says Jane Shepherdson, chief executive of high street fashion retailer Whistles.
Retailers across the price spectrum are seeing a steady increase in sales. At the high-end e-tailer net-a-porter.com, sales of the midi length are 10% faster than other skirt shapes.
Meanwhile, insiders at the online fashion retailer Asos report that sales of the midi, which is on the front page of the site as a "right now piece", are up at least 200% on last year.
Part of the midi's success lies in its appeal across the fashion generations. Women in their 20s who are tuned into the celebrity aesthetic of Solange Knowles and Rita Ora are wearing the hemline, as are fortysomething women looking for a more grown-up look for the coming summer.
"It's an elegant length," says Sarah Curren of mywardrobe.com "I think you would be surprised as to who is buying them. It's as much twentysomething women as fortysomething women. The younger women see it on Victoria Beckham as her length of choice and for slightly older women it's a really flattering shape and length."
Fashion commentators agree that the midi trend will outlive the summer. "Fashion at the moment is completely polarised between a hip, street aesthetic, and a minimal ultra-luxe stealth look – both of which have a place for the midiskirt," says Ormerod.
Shepherdson, in common with many retailers, has a vested interest in the look lasting. In the autumn Whistles will stock a midi-length leather skirt which has already attracted a waiting list of fashion insiders. (guardian.co.uk)

Attachments

• midi1.jpg
    midi1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 17
it's alright if it falls JUST below the knee. more and it makes the wearer look stumpy and stunted.

which is an issue with designer clothes, cause they seem to cut for the runway models, less for the regular customer, who is a good bit shorter than your regular runway model.

the longer the better

but i think the real huge hit are those full blown maxi skirts

I love this look but very few people pull it off in my opinion. The main reason is, like Street_a_licious said, that the mass produced stuff isn't tailored for each woman. So it usually falls to long on most and will have to be taken up an inch or two.

Eva Mendes wears this really well..

I actually really, really want to try this trend, but fear that I'll end up looking dowdy/frumpy, despite being pretty tall. I think all the BBC period dramas I've been watching are officially catching up with me.

cropping skirts must be one of the easiest feats tho... i don't know why not more women do it.

I thought it was always a hit not just this summer :unsure:

It's a great look for all seasons...It can be sexy/cool with a great pair of shoes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iabsolvejordan
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->