Military F/W 05.06

Looks like what my grandpa and dad were wearing between the 1930's and 1950's. For men I would suggest checking out surplus stores, they're overflowing with all kinds of sick jackets, and around here they are different cuts and fabrics from different countries. The Navy tends to have a better style.

I'll call my dad tomorrow if he can dig up photos of the Naval Academy coats. When my grandpa died my grandma gave all his clothes away to charity, but I think we still have a couple things. What really always stood out in my head was the Army coats, long, pewter colored wool coats with golden buttons all the way down. Gives me the piss shiver thining about them.

Kimkhuu said:
Great thread Spike.

But hasn't military "style" been around for ages....... These types of coats, I've seen them around forever..... But yes, the new shapes are more refined, I like the cuts and the strategic placement of the buttons. Very modern.

Exactly. That's what designers do when they are stuck (and they seem to be stuck all the time :lol: ), an easy way out. Not that it's that bad, because I love the look. It's just the talk of "inspiration" and bla, bla, bla, that irks me.

fourboltmain said:
I'll call my dad tomorrow if he can dig up photos of the Naval Academy coats. When my grandpa died my grandma gave all his clothes away to charity, but I think we still have a couple things. What really always stood out in my head was the Army coats, long, pewter colored wool coats with golden buttons all the way down. Gives me the piss shiver thining about them.

yea, i wouldn't trade my swedish navy coat (granted that it was a bit reworked) for any of this ^_^ .

travolta said:
the military trend is similar to the religious trend: it's a nice contrast between the sexual and the austere.

btw. i can't believe how provacative i find those first robert cavalli boots. :shock:

Thank you for putting the essence of this look into words so eloquently!

I have to admit, I also love this look - and I am glad to see that this incarnation is not just a rehashing of what was done in the 80's.

There is a very slim possibility that I may embrace this look again given that nifty outfit Condie Rice wore to Russia (?) last year (black paramilitary duster with pencil skirt and knee boots - even at over 50 she looked classy, sexy and powerful. Pulled this look off very, very nicely, she did).

Spike413 said:
^ Yes, it's all in the sharpness of the cut.

ditto, also in the details, the high neck, the decorative pockets..
i have two summer jackets already and i'll get one early fall one asap, no matter how 'common' this look will become, i like it, its fun ^_^

the military trend is similar to the religious trend: it's a nice contrast between the sexual and the austere.
agreed travolta :wink: i find austere very sexy to wear

I love this Marni coat...it's a bit militant, but very classic as well.
41019426_2.jpg

And I'm dying for this Prada coat....
41018281_2.jpg

I like it. I've also loved sharp clothing with definitive lines. But of course only tall and skinny people can pull it off in my honest opinion.

I think it is really lovely...it's really very classic though, not so much trendy, imo. though I it can be tailored to fit right into this year's trends, if done more along the lines of a period look this year - either edwardian or 1940's... with that said, I'm really feeling inspired by the structuring of 1940's women's military uniforms at the moment, after seeing a collection at a museum. loving the military colour scheme as well - grey and navy... :heart:

^ I'd love to see some examples of 40's women uniforms, I tried google but nothing appropiate came up.

Zara has great military jackets, I tried a dark grey coat on and it felt like it was the one, perfect sharp distinct collar, €180 which is a little above my budget :unsure: Then I found a shorter black jacket of really nice fabric, I shouldn't have tried it on as it's also a little too pricey. But, at least I'm really motivated to get a job now :ninja:

GAP has a military style jacket it was kind of cute but I didn't try it on. I just love the buttons!:woot:

^I think I know which one you're talking about. I liked it a lot too and even tried it on, but it didn't look so good on me. Oh well.

SanSalvadorGirl said:
I love him :heart: ...why aren't there more guys like him???

While I don't love him, I do wish there were more attractive men with style!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->