Giambattista Valli

00050m.jpg
00160m.jpg

00190m.jpg
00210m.jpg

00230m.jpg

style.com

style.com

I think minimalism is the wrong word. It's clean, but it's not minimal. These clothes are definitely "worked".

I know what you mean, these appear to be simple and clean outfits but they are carefully constructed and worked on to achieve their finished look. But I think the overall style fits minimalism if we are basing it on the way a lot of these designs look. The colours and shapes appear to stick to a classic structure and aren’t overworked but at the same time a lot of these have a lot of detail in their line and shape in order to appear simpler than they really are.

I like the style and it's true minimalism will always be a style which will never die out since the monochrome colours and simplicity in the designs is something which is always in demand.

yea.. honestly the pictures posted so far i think have nothing to do with minimalism. i'd say it's more about personal values than any trend

I really love minimalism! The tricky part about it for me personally though, is that I cannot afford proper minimalism. In my opinion the essence of proper minimalism is the perfect tailoring, the perfect cut and the perfect fabric, not that the clothes are black or white and don't have any adornment. This proper minimalism can however not be found on a student budget. You might find clothes that are trying to be minimalistic, but it just looks wrong and cheap. Minimalism for me is all or nothing: it is the proper perfect minimalism, or it is nothing at all. And it breaks my heart that I cannot afford to wear the perfectness.

Minimalism is very brave, very confident. One must have a strong vision to even begin, it's very architectural in it's approach. There is no distraction, no safety in embellishments. The subtle intricacies of the design are exposed and the ingenuity of simplicity can be appreciated. The beauty is in the purity.

in my eyes, this is not minimalism - this is architectural elegance.

I am really into this trend at the moment and it's one that is timeless so it doesn't matter what occasion or season you wear anything minimalistic, it can still look great.

The tricky part about it for me personally though, is that I cannot afford proper minimalism. In my opinion the essence of proper minimalism is the perfect tailoring, the perfect cut and the perfect fabric, not that the clothes are black or white and don't have any adornment. This proper minimalism can however not be found on a student budget. You might find clothes that are trying to be minimalistic, but it just looks wrong and cheap. Minimalism for me is all or nothing: it is the proper perfect minimalism, or it is nothing at all. And it breaks my heart that I cannot afford to wear the perfectness.
I agree. I feel that in order for the "minimalist" look to work, the pieces must be very well-tailored. Wearing a simple white button-up shirt from Jil Sander, tailored for your body type (e.g. getting the sleeves shortened by a tailor to suit your body proportion), will achieve a completely different effect than simply wearing a white shirt from, say, H&M. Sometimes I'd look for a simple black blazer, and I cannot find one that looks "right" within my budget. The cheap ones simply fit awkwardly and look bulky at the sleeves, fall rigidly around the bust, etc. I definitely hope one day when I am done school and finished paying off the loans, I can invest in a classic, well-tailored wardrobe! :P

yea.. honestly the pictures posted so far i think have nothing to do with minimalism. i'd say it's more about personal values than any trend

You're right, it isn't like the minimalism of the nineties. Would you be so kind as to give a definition of that kind of minimalism?

i'm not talking about the nineties...??

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm not the only one disagreeing with the posts, so you should have got 'it' by now? if not, try a little harder. i'm not going to do the thinking for you ^_^

Now noone's asking you to stretch to such a feat, Gius, I'm only asking for a definition of what you would say minimalism is; my belief is that it's simplicity, focusing on quality, I'm interested in how that differs to your definition.

Then I should ask where are you getting your definition? Because I am not going by -my- definition. It's not like an opinion or something that I came up with to define it for myself.

You're on a fashion course. I find it hard to believe if you haven't come across it
I think it would help you more if you searched for the original meaning on your own. That's all I have to say.

Just one last thing... When the topic comes up in fashion, you'll find there are variations so that is why I say it helps to know the meaning. It's up to you to go beyond what you just see and find the pattern. This skill is really helpful in the long run if you end up deciding you will become a designer.

I've noticed some of your other many threads/posts you've made and it looks like you are often looking for ideas, maybe for your assignments or whatever. This will allow you to have more to work off from.

But it really is better if you come up with it on your own time, research, than through other people. Doing so will help you develop your personal style and your designs will be more 'original' and just yours... uninfluenced by other people. I have given you enough of my own ideas already. I think it should be obvious to you by now how to do it yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the new minimalism!!!! i think is chic and has a lot more to offer, It brings back something good.
I loved the 80's face fashion went through, but it just became tooo much towards the end. :heart:

Minimalism bores me, but some of these runway looks are fantastic.

I don't think Alexander Wang's designs are minimal at all. They are more sportswear than minimalism. Jil Sander's minimalism is the perfect example. For me, nobody can do minimalism as Raf does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->