Is Minimalism Dead?

Minimalism is definitely NOT BORING. Most young ones equate milimalistic with bland, so they opt for overcluttering over simplicity. I love layering and experimenting, but I've now realized that overcluttering an outfit doesn't necessarily make it more interesting!
One of my favourite designers is Jil Sander. I don't think the line is super innovative or trendy, but there's something about the clothes that exudes confidence, power, and sense of style.
This green dress is so minimal in its design, but will stand out from any other poufy princess dress at prom.
00090m.jpg
00340m.jpg

There are people - rich or poor - who try to stay in style by following every fashion trend of the season. But the ones who really know about style are those who pay attention to the actual piece of clothing and know how to enhance it.
Although i do agree that minimalism is hard to pull off if you can't afford well-made pieces, and thus this trend may seem snobbish.
Pics from Style.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree with Minimalism is NOT BORING! I think if people find minimalism boring, it may be caused by vulgarity. I takes experience and time to truely understand what is less is more, simplicity is beauty, and subtlness speaks.
The notion of minimalism is so noble IMO. It embraces quality, the old idea of couture. Think of the mass production crap, a *** whipped up in a X factory under 30 minutes, all clothes being cloned. But minimalism is quality, clothes made by a tailor you know, altered for your body, and each step is coaxed.
Minimalism could be fun, think of colors, shapes, drapings, textures..... as long as the garment looks expensive, fits the person impeccably. Also, minimalism does not screams attention, people gets subtle attention in a tasteful way.

Just my two cents

why_fashion said:
I totally agree with Minimalism is NOT BORING! I think if people find minimalism boring, it may be caused by vulgarity. I takes experience and time to truely understand what is less is more, simplicity is beauty, and subtlness speaks.
The notion of minimalism is so noble IMO. It embraces quality, the old idea of couture. Think of the mass production crap, a *** whipped up in a X factory under 30 minutes, all clothes being cloned. But minimalism is quality, clothes made by a tailor you know, altered for your body, and each step is coaxed.
Minimalism could be fun, think of colors, shapes, drapings, textures..... as long as the garment looks expensive, fits the person impeccably. Also, minimalism does not screams attention, people gets subtle attention in a tasteful way.

Just my two cents

rollagasper said:
Minimalism is definitely NOT BORING. Most young ones equate milimalistic with bland, so they opt for overcluttering over simplicity. I love layering and experimenting, but I've now realized that overcluttering an outfit doesn't necessarily make it more interesting!
One of my favourite designers is Jil Sander. I don't think the line is super innovative or trendy, but there's something about the clothes that exudes confidence, power, and sense of style.
This green dress is so minimal in its design, but will stand out from any other poufy princess dress at prom.

There are people - rich or poor - who try to stay in style by following every fashion trend of the season. But the ones who really know about style are those who pay attention to the actual piece of clothing and know how to enhance it.
Although i do agree that minimalism is hard to pull off if you can't afford well-made pieces, and thus this trend may seem snobbish.
Pics from Style.com

I totally agree with both of you-

(though why_fashion I think your use of the word "***" is very offensive)

THe concept of minimalism is the idea of perfection. It is easy to create something strange or flashy or vulgar, but when there are no superfluous detail to distract, the real quality and lines of an item come through.

To me minimalism is the epitome of good taste. It's the opposite of "trying to hard"

When i think of minimalism in fashion I think of the fashion of sci -fi movies. Where clothing is very uniform, geometric. Like minimalist in interior design.

I don't consider minimalist and simplicity the same, though minimalist contains simplicity, simplicity is a wider umbrella. A tank and T is simple, but not minimalist in my opinion as the jeans focus on texture and colour and not just architecture.

I don't think it's dead, but I do think it's not as popular. I think you can get that from looking at interior design. Colours have become more popular, and there seems to be an increasing interest in adornment rather than the somewhat sterile feel of minimalism. I think the increased interest in furntiure that provides character rather than clean lines is an extension of what's happening in fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ross640
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->