Minimalism S/S 06

this is what i like, when it works. when it looks organic.

i wouldn't throw out strong colors.

i remember reading that costello tagliapietra are a "they" - a duo. from NYC.

I agree with the few- minimilism is not for me...
I dont think I could express myself well with just one dress and some flat sandals.

Minimalism. I love this trend, even though I tend to hate trends.

Your clothing should not overpower you, it should not weigh you down, or wear you, clothing should compliment you and that alone - not make you. What do we all think of those flashy girls dressed head-to-toe in Flashy Versace, Dior, Dooney & Bourke, and Prada logos? :innocent: They think the logos will define them, they think that people will look up to them. How wrong.

For many people, minimalism is just BLANK, WHITE. I say nay! Minimalism can be in red, green, yellow, orange, purple, gold, black, blue. It's the use of those colors and the forms that they are on.

Minimalism :heart: :woot:

Great thread, Soft. :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I disagree with your last comments Arturo, I believe minimalism is done best, if not defined better, in neutral colors....... if it's going to be a vibrant color like greeen for example, it's going to be a deeper and earthier green, not a bright vivid green, or orange for the matter.

What I mean by neutral colors, is a palette comprised of earthy colors, neutral colors, washed out colors, white, black..... soft colors..... :flower:

I like minimalism...to an extent.
I have found that the clothes I select for my wardrobe gravitate towards it.
As a teenager I'm sure my take on this 'trend' (which are really classics) would be somewhat different. The way I have incorporated it is to stock up on fitted t-shirts and singlets in block colours (both bright and neutral shades) which I pair which plain denim in black or blue and give it interest by adding one feature piece of jewellery whether it be a necklace or earrings etc. This is my very casual take on it though...

Kimkhuu said:
^ I disagree with your last comments Arturo, I believe minimalism is done best, if not defined better, in neutral colors....... if it's going to be a vibrant color like greeen for example, it's going to be a deeper and earthier green, not a bright vivid green, or orange for the matter.

What I mean by neutral colors, is a palette comprised of earthy colors, neutral colors, washed out colors, white, black..... soft colors..... :flower:
Yea I knew that that would be something that not many, if any would agree with. It's more of my personal opinion because I view minimalism as a simplified, bare use of form, shape, and color. :flower:

Oh THANK GOD! I am sick to death of construction and the glossy va va voom stuff that really has been around since 1998-2000 and the advent of the Brazilian supermodel. Although I think minimalism can be a little more rock and roll (a la Miss Moss) if 'soft' isn't your thing.

Arturo21 said:
Yea I knew that that would be something that not many, if any would agree with. It's more of my personal opinion because I view minimalism as a simplified, bare use of form, shape, and color. :flower:

I completely agree with you. :rolleyes:

skyhigh said:
I'm loving it! I could never pull off the details.

:clap:yay! i'm not the only one!!
finally a crisp button down doesn't have to be cluttered with 14 strands of clunky wooden beads!

Arturo21 said:
Your clothing should not overpower you, it should not weigh you down, or wear you, clothing should compliment you and that alone - not make you. ...
(snip)
Minimalism can be in red, green, yellow, orange, purple, gold, black, blue. It's the use of those colors and the forms that they are on.

absolutely!

for me, there is SO much stimulation going on in a city - it's noisy and hectic and sometimes TOO MUCH. for myself, when i am wearing simple, well cut clothing, i feel grounded in the middle of all this - stuff. the world may be swirling around me but i know where i stand.

i think this thread also speaks to the difference between form and function, and the difference between style and fashion. :cool:

I'm not into minimalism either. It's not interesting and way too simple. I'm all about asymmetrical, uneven, evident stitching, frayed, contrast patterns, interesting cuts, stripes with polka dots kind of thing. Oh well. Good thing anyways, I don't like to be "in style".

Spacemiu said:
I'm not really a fan off it personally, but I think it's more intresting than vintage 'inspiration', lady like, all that boringness.

i think it is interesting that the styles are so separated and clear cut in people's minds. i can't imagine doing any of this by the book, but i don't see "ladylike" or "vintage inspired" as being the polar opposite of "minimalist".

sssanguine said:
I'm not into minimalism either. It's not interesting and way too simple. I'm all about asymmetrical, uneven, evident stitching, frayed, contrast patterns, interesting cuts, stripes with polka dots kind of thing. Oh well. Good thing anyways, I don't like to be "in style".

any and all of that can be part of minimalism in this context...
i think some people are taking the term a bit too literally...
and also going back to calvin klein in the 90's...

**this is a new decade and a new era of minimalism...
it's not simply the same thing 10-15 yrs later...
many of the examples posted here really do not show what it means...
the donna karan collection is a good example i think...

:wink: :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
olivia tod said:
:heart: :heart: WORDS CANNOT EXPRESS HOW I ADORED HIS TAKE ON MINIMALISM.:heart: :heart:
actually it's THEY....
it is two men...
costello AND tagliapietra...

gotta love the italians!!...:wink:

:innocent:

i dont know if the following images would fall correctly into the vein of 'minimalism'.....but with all the frills and bells and whistles out there, they appeal to MY idea of 'minimalism'.....

:wink: :flower: .....

aquascutum
donna karan
roland mouret
roland mouret
narciso rodriguez
txell miras
VPL by victoria bartlett

:heart: :heart:

Yay, It's about damn time designers put away their beading, crochet needles to focus on interesting cuts, drapes, seams and silhouttes...I was so sick of the boho hobo yee haw folklore stuff in the past seasons, so it's really refreshing to see minimalism back in such a strong force. I can't wait to see the Belgian touch this spring because they do minimalism like nobody else, minimal but edgy..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->