missoni12720570x440.jpg

vogue.it

More shots

Click
missoni-adv
for the video advertisement

Missoni F/W 10-11
Missoni's new ad campaign is a short film by Kenneth Anger

"I'm fascinated by Kenneth Anger's use of color and his ability to transform a film into a three-dimensional texture, a fabric of images in movement," explained Angela Missoni. This is how she introduced her decision to entrust the Missoni F/W 2011 campaign to one of America's most famous authors and directors of avant-garde cinema.

Anger -- a hyperactive octogenarian who loves working in the wee hours of the night and at dawn using sophisticated instruments such as the RED digital camera that has the characteristics of a classic 35 mm camera - flew in from Los Angeles to film the campaign in Sumirago that involved all the members of the great Missoni family. They are the stars of this campaign that was conceived as a series of superimposed and overlapping portraits. Vogue.it presents a preview of this film: a vibrant and impalpable evocation of unique patterns, patchwork motifs, stitches, knits, and styles, it is a symbolic weave as ephemeral as a dream.

"The images of Juergen Teller for the S/S 2010 campaign reflected and portrayed our everyday family life," said Angela. "Kenneth Anger's experimental approach and his narrative style, on the other hand, transformed the new campaign into a sublimation of our world." The style of this ad campaign that verges on art clearly reveals the taste of this Californian filmmaker, who directed the films "Fireworks", "Puce Moment" and "Scorpio Rising", wrote successful books such as "Hollywood Babylon" dedicated to the secrets, manias, perversions and scandals of early Hollywood film stars, and is a favorite of young fans. Included in the 2006 edition of the Whitney Biennial of New York, he currently works with some of the most important international galleries of contemporary art and enjoys much popularity today.

A man of few words, this fascinating former actor who still takes care of his appearance first filmed the settings for his film "Missoni": mostly locations near bodies of water in the Sumirago countryside and part of Rosita and Ottavio's garden. For the indoor sequences, he built a set in the Council Room of the Sumirago Town Hall, a basement room with a vaulted ceiling. The mood of the film and the poses and movements of Margherita, Jennifer, Angela, Rosita, Ottavio, Ottavio Jr. and all other family members are reminiscent of Sergei Parajanov's "The Color of Pomegranates", a 1968 film that inspired Anger to create his Chinese box-style storyboard.

The intertwining and blending of moods, micro-plots, and situations make his "Missoni" a dream of a film within a film, a surreal dreamy interaction of spaces, faces, gestures, clothes, and costumes with different ages and narrative tempos. "Before he left," said Angela, "he gave my mother, with whom he became fast friends, a film award he recently received." To the question, "What did he leave you?" she answered with her usual humor, "Twenty-five wigs!" In Anger's film, the wigs appear in a minimum part and are worn by Margherita, the protagonist with Jennifer of a project that will enchant, document, but not illustrate fashion.

The film expresses Missoni's sophisticated choice and desire to amplify the role of images, making them a communication means and not an end, instruments for personal forms of appropriation and interpretation.
vogue.it

Oh no, this is awful :( Missoni's been making the worst marketing decisions in the last few years. No wonder they've been so affected by the recession.
Last season we had those messy family shots that were so overloaded with Missoni patterns that you couldn't focus on single pieces and now we have some badly colored film that hides the whole Missoni aesthetic completely. I don't see Missoni in this at all. And will they use stills from that movie for the print ads or what? What a mess.
If you're going to make a short film as an ad campaign, why not tell a story instead of just going psychedelic hippie? I don't get this at all.

OMG, not liking this at all so far, i agree that the clothes cannot be seen properly. :ermm: Missoni campaigns have been doing downhill imo, the last one i actually liked was Hanne's.

why did kenneth anger become so fashionable all of a sudden? first valentino now missoni..

video is a bit boring

i do like missoni for trying out new things, maybe a bit hit&miss but at least it creates some excitement.. for me at least

i prefer this stuff way over a new versace campaign shot by testino

Why do they keep on insisting to have a new arty direction for every new season. It does not fit the brand at all.

And just how are we supposed to focus on the clothes without going cross-eyed?

lakjdlkfjasklfjdadlfja

Ken Anger's most famous for being best friends with the founder of The Church of Satan. Almost all of his videos are dark and can basically be seen as shock art.

Missoni.....has a nostalgic quality to it, something that Anger would probably know little about. It's not a good match at all.

That is so bad.
They're trying to go original, but it can't works everytimes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->