"Must Hate" of Summer 2005

This isn't a trend of summer, but everybody at my school seems to be getting one- D&B bags! :yuk: The monogrammed ones and the heart purses just seems so takcy and are hideous!

Also, I'm not a fan of the boho look- especially the ankle-length, gauzy skirts, yuck! The whole look is just so messy. Same with the tie-dyed shirts I've been seeing- I wore them when I was eight years old, come on!

I don't know what is wrong with me! It has been happening for the last 2-3 years: I buy the spring issues of fashion mags (usually American and French Vogue, H.Bazaar, and Elle, etc) and I LOOOVE what they show for spring/summer, even if I know it is still snowing outside and I will have to wait a few months to wear the stuff. I hit the shops around March/April just to plan my summer wardrobe and guess what?? I get tired of the fashions out there. I seem to see exactly the same styles/prints/colours in EVERY SINGLE SHOP, be it indian prints, beaded peasant shirts, etc. I can imagine the city full of girls in the same outfits and I am already fed up with the styles. Before I have bought anything!

i like brown tie-died skirts, i actually only found one that i liked but the rest of the boho look is a complete hate. australia's summer is always sl*tty, and that is the BIGGEST HATE of all. everyone looks the same, tank top mini skirt. everywhere. I LOVE to see someone different.. but yes that is my hate. but it's winter soon. I LOVE WINTER! less sluts then normal.

I don't like any trend that looks like Fancy Dress - you know

I am a cowgirl
I am a hippy
I am a 1950's housewife.

Diane Vreeland said (I think it was her - not sure). ''Beware originality. In fashion it leads to costume''. I think that's what she meant. Don't follow a trend too closely or you'll look like you are going to a fancy dress party.

I'm also avoiding new t shirts with the word Vintage written on them.

Vintage? OH YEAH????? :lol:

Lady Muck said:
I'm also avoiding new t shirts with the word Vintage written on them.

Vintage? OH YEAH????? :lol:

Indeed! :lol:

I hate those Shirts too! Unfortunatly they`re around since 2 years or so...and I fear they won`t go away soon...:doh:

i am so tired of the "boho" look everwhere.
Everystore is making boho clothes:rolleyes: :sick:
ofcourse all the "stylish" girls are dressing like that now:doh:

i'm in las vegas, so this may be atypical:

:low-rise jeans, tight t-shirt, and an obvious-as-hell boob job:
:streaky hair and/or hair extensions:
:silly fake nails:
: pajamas as daywear, implying that you just rolled out of bed and haven't washed:
:baggy pants with the buttocks showing - you *know* that kid's mom didn't see him leave the house looking like that:

i haven't seen a hint of "minimalism" in the five months i've been here. very few clean lines or simple, elegant looks.

re: 2005 trends to be endured but not encouraged-
: python/snakeskin - COMPLETELY UNECESSARY;
:real fur of any kind - why not fake it? spare the world some suffering, why don't you?:
: pink - i love pink, but now that everyone is wearing it it's no fun anymore (and it's all about me, right?:(
: "boho" and/or "ethnic" on a woman of color loses it's irony, unfortunately, and i have no interest in answering questions about what country i am from. and coming from northern california i know this to be more a way of life than a style, no matter *what* mary late and ashley wear. unless the lines are clean (the opposite of what i am seeing in the magazines for this trend) i put this in the same category as pajamas for day:
:nautical, beads and sequins, clashing prints:

meme

Last edited by a moderator:
How about cheap looking crap? As a trend, I'll say the one I don't like is the wholehearted acceptance of synthetics.

This season I'm officially freaked out by uber-fake (and not just fake, but really icky) fabrics, cheap shiny beading, bad and disgusting bright metallic vinyl purses and shoes (ala low-rent Miami Beach matrons from the early 1970s).

This is the case at so many of the mass retailers. There are decent clothes to be had at some stores, so it's not the lack of good clothes. Just that they're like little sargasso patches in a churning sea of cheaply made trendy crap.

It drove me over the edge this past weekend to find a higher-end fabric store and buy some 100% cotton in a nice brown (as opposed to, well, you know). And I have my eye on some light wool there too. Bought a couple patterns and am actually going to attempt to see if I can *make* a couple things like a sundress and wrap blouse... that don't look homemade. I haven't sewn since I was a little kid (and then didn't do more than a few pieces). It's either that, or I'm banishing myself to Bloomingdale's only, and a basic wardrobe.

meme527 said:
i'm in las vegas... i haven't seen a hint of "minimalism" in the five months i've been here.

Heheheh .. the day we have minimalism in Las Vegas, well... :smile:

But it's an interesting point.

I hate cowboy boots! they must burn, burn in hell I say!
Oh and peasant/ ruffle skirts - you know it's wrong when the waist is ELASTIC (which they are on those gypsy things)

cbcb said:
Bought a couple patterns and am actually going to attempt to see if I can *make* a couple things like a sundress and wrap blouse... that don't look homemade. I haven't sewn since I was a little kid (and then didn't do more than a few pieces)...

interestingly, cbcb, i am doing the same thing. last year i started knitting and crocheting again and i got a sewing machine so i can make my own clothes. also taking some classes in tailoring, patternmaking, sketching and merchandising this summer. i still think DIY is best - do it yourself. and i do so much music and writing that it's nice to have a creative outlet that results in an actual *object*.

meme

PS: oh yes, another trend that gets on my nerves:

- people wearing t-shirts that reference places they've never been, artists whose work they don't know, etc., and probably never even heard of. especially if you are fond of that place/person/thing, it always feels like your memories are being hijacked.

- fake thrift store clothing, like jackets made to look like they belonged to gas station attendents with the name patch on the front. people used to get those at thrift town for $1.50 and they actually has some history to them that made them interesting (if occasionally smelly). now you pay $50 so you can have "earl" embroidered on your chest?

I believe that many women can pull off most of the trends mentioned here. The trouble is the lack of originality pulling them off.

The fashion mags are chalk full of shots with Sienna Miller holding her coffee and trudging down the ave in some boho getup. She looks great (usually...at least always unique) but the thousands of girls who crowd to the shops distill the boho look down to the lowest common denominator.

Trends are trends. Take them as you will. Mix them with what you already love. God help the girl who dresses head to toe in any one style. B-O-R-I-N-G. Shame on the cheap mags who employ misguided editors who encourage this.

Florals: you're going to see them every spring/summer. They get reinvented in dozens of ways and I can't imagine anyone who says, "I'll never wear a flowered print." This season I've seen delicate calicos (no my style), embroidered flowers of all degrees, big, bold, nearly geometric flowers, etc. I'm planning a shoot right now around this trend. If I get a chance I'll post the pics after and you all can have your say.

BUT...there are a few lingering trends which I don't think are attractive on most women or they are just really over. These include:

-flat, designer "sport" sandals (Prada, what were you thinking?)

-pointy toed shoes (some reaches of Europe haven't gotten the round-toed word yet and I suspect that the suppliers are just pawning off their overstock from last year on those markets)

-tiny bags worn on the shoulder ("arm pit warmers")

-and of course the whole short ruffled skirt, trucker hat, Uggs nonesense which is being clung to by the MTV rats

i agree. hate the boho ethnic look and wish it would go away...they are selling peasent skirts at old navy now..

740167.jpg

Ripped / destroyed jeans. :yuk:

I like dark blue and new looking jeans, but this summer, it's very difficult find that stuff.

Because I'm very skinny (with a pale skin), I think I'm looking like a vagabond when I'm wearing it. I can't pull them off.

I don't like them, though (even if I was bigger).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->