New Yohji Exhibition in Paris

helena

Swim Upstream
Reaction score
THE YOHJI YAMAMOTO EXPERIENCE
spacer.gif
AN all-new opportunity to get inside the head of Yohji Yamamoto is opening in Paris this week. Juste des Vetements (Just Clothes), has recreated the designer's Tokyo workshop in a bid to give visitors the chance to see how his creative process works from start to finish. In amongst 18th and 19th Century pieces of art, more than 100 of Yohji's outfits will hang within reach, so that his fans can get close enough to touch. "We wanted to surprise the public and show them all the steps from the material to the final design," said Yohji spokesperson Nathalie Ours. And for the designer himself, who has famously taken inspiration from all walks of life and countless historical periods throughout his 49-collection career, the retrospective is more than fitting. "If I could make a collection to show the passing of time I would be very happy," he said. "Because old clothes are always newly designed. Designing time is my dream." Juste des Vetements will run from April 13 to August 28 at the Musée de la Mode.

This should be good, is it going to move to other cities

sorry I don't know at all. Might be worth a trip to Paris for though.....

I don't think it is travelling. This show follows February's 'Correspondences' exhibition of Yohji's work in Florence. Whereas that show installed Yohji's gowns in the lavish rooms of the Palazzo Pitti, I think this Paris show will be much more personal and introspective. So after two retrospectives, I don't think we'll see another one anytime soon.

but the isssey exhibit travelled...
and so did the westwood...:(

da*mn...this is what the met should be doing..!!!
not silly karl...boo!!

I will be in paris in June so will be able to attend this. Should be amazing I think.

i'll do my best to catch this in Paris
thanks for bringing this in helena :flower:

softgrey said:
but the isssey exhibit travelled...
and so did the westwood...:(

da*mn...this is what the met should be doing..!!!
not silly karl...boo!!

are you referring to lagerfield?
:flower: for your views on karl...hes a damn fool imo as well!

thanks for the info helena...i will def have to make a trip over to see this...

Ill be there in July/August, I will be attending as well.

additional info ..
And in tandem with the Louvre show, titled “Just the Clothes,” the Joyce gallery in Palais Royale is staging an exhibition of Chiso kimonos, six designed by Yamamoto, through May 6.

here a ..long but interesting article from wwd of today :flower:

041305_14.jpg

Photo by Stephane Feugere

For all its apparent glamour and gloss, fashion is a messy business behind the scenes.

Consider the office of Yohji Yamamoto. His desk is piled high with paper, Adidas sneaker boxes, stomach medicine and other detritus of his chosen profession.

Or consider that of his studio chief, Madame Shimosako. Her work surface is scarred by X-ACTO knives and cluttered with packets of cigarettes, Japanese animal cookies and, of course, a gigantic pair of scissors.

Offering a rare glimpse of the creative process of a fashion great, the Yamamoto exhibition that bows at the Museum of Fashion and Textiles at the Louvre here today displays everything from paper patterns to complete rooms replicated from the designer’s Tokyo studio. Even rejects — dresses that never made it onto the runway or into production — are given a rare moment in the fashion spotlight.

“I wanted to show everything and there are naturally many mistakes,” the designer said with a shrug.

At turns hectic and poetic, the exhibition marks the first time the museum will allow visitors to touch some of the garments on display, from an unfinished, double-faced coat to a dramatically fringed umbrella.

“Touch is the most important thing; the most important value of the clothing,” Yamamoto stressed in an interview Monday. “Sometimes, I start collections by saying touch is very important: soft touch, hard touch, strange touch.”

Upon entering the exhibition, which runs through Aug. 28, visitors encounter nothing but large, industrial shelves containing bolts of fabric. “Yes, it will stay like that,” interjected curator Olivier Saillard with a chuckle. “It’s to give the idea of the back rooms of a fashion house.”

And how. The designer was given carte blanche and his exhibit designer, Masao Nihei, opted for a busy, DIY feel on the first floor, with catalogues displayed on ironing boards and backstage photos hung with hunks of masking tape.

Yamamoto laughed knowingly when asked why his clothes are so minimal and his office such a — how shall we say? — disaster area.

“I’m working in a studio, where there are so many craftsmen working around. They bring so many things into my room. Naturally, it becomes a mountain of trash,” he said with a chuckle. “I simply wanted to show the reality and the working space is not always clean.”

Loosely biographical, the two-level show displays Yamamoto’s penchant for ethnic costumes and everyday clothes over high fashion, and spotlights famous friends like Pina Bausch and Wim Wenders. A touching photo of Yamamoto fast asleep while seated at a worktable — his head resting on his arms — shows how grueling fashion can be.

Several cases document how Yamamoto’s way of working has evolved over the decades: one scattered with ink drawings, another documenting how he tests new silhouettes directly on the fabric, rather than inexpensive cotton.

But one is struck by his low-tech approach. Even patterns are drawn by hand. One large guide for cutting fabric resembles a Cy Twombly canvas.

Yamamoto explained that his way of working is intuitive and collaborative, and the chaos of the exhibition is meant to convey the excitement of the creative process. “I give a few points about the next collection by talking, just a few words,” he explained. “Then I walk around and I say something: ‘Oh, you better change that’ or ‘You better change everything.’ [My collaborators] have their own way of finding new ideas. Sometimes they surprise me.

“I set a goal for each collection which I never reach….Still, the collection itself is going to have a character.”

The second level of the exhibition showcases Yamamoto’s final creations in more minimalist glory. Some outfits, in homage to Chanel, Christian Dior, Balenciaga, Madame Grès and Elsa Schiaparelli, are shown next to designer originals.

Also unusual for a fashion museum — prone to displaying delicate, centuries-old creations, is that the lighting here is almost blinding, reflecting the designer’s taste for extremes.

“I don’t use medium colors because medium colors have some sentiment,” Yamamoto said. “I simply use black or white or flashes of red or yellow — all strong colors. If the color has some story or sentiment, I don’t want to use them. They’re like background music.”

A helter-skelter arrangement of television sets, some propped on chairs, broadcast a chronological retrospective of his fashion shows, from 1981 to the present. Saillard said the display proves Yamamoto developed a consistent signature. “The clothes are difficult to date,” he said.

thanks lena...almost as good as being there...:flower:

thanks everyone. that is smart he decided to display his work in that manner...was it ford who said fashion designers shouldn't have retrospectives? forgive me if i'm twisting his words around if he did, but i thought he meant because it seemed silly and pretentious.
i guess yohji's exhibition has solved that problem...^_^

And article in iht.com by Suzy Menkes

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/04/18/style/Fyohji.html

Yohji Yamamoto: 'Just Clothes' from the inside out New Feature

By Suzy Menkes International Herald Tribune
Tuesday, April 19, 2005

PARIS So much is made of fashion's flamboyant presence - in catwalk extravaganzas, celebrity gowns or shiny stores - and so little of its process. It is therefore an imaginative stroke to display in a museum the inner and outer layers of Yohji Yamamoto's work, as a recreation of his chaotic office and workrooms and then the finished products in clean, white light.

"Yohji Yamamoto - Juste des vêtements" ( "Just clothes") in Paris follows another exhibition in Florence in January. Although the new show at the Musée de la Mode et du Textile (until Aug. 28) contains 85 percent of the same clothes, according to its curator Olivier Saillard, the effect is quite different. Instead of the Japanese designer's classics holding their own among marbled sculptures or facing off oil painted portraits in the Florentine show, Paris shows us first the underbelly of the romantic and intriguingly made clothes.

From the bales of fabrics piled at the entrance - proving Yamamoto's claim that he likes black, white and strong colors - through garments hanging on racks, sketches scattered on chairs and video screens playing simultaneously 25 years of collections, the show pulls you into Yamamoto's world. As well as his own workspace, the office of the designer's longtime collaborator Madame Shimosako is lovingly recreated, books, papers, cigarettes, candies and all.

The multimedia input, with 10 hours worth of shows and a screening of a seminal 1989 film by the German cinéaste Wim Wenders, does its best to get you inside the head of a designer who has always preferred to let his work speak for itself.

On the upper floor, the 80 outfits do just that. And instead of the usual low-light museum gloom to protect fabrics, every shawl-collared coat, furry hat or draped dress is lit by eye-popping neon bands. This installation by Masao Nihei could be a stand-alone work of modern art.

Yet despite its energy and imagination, the show, as so often with current fashion exhibits, lacks a vital element: where Yamamoto stands in relation to his design peers. And in his particular case, what his Japanese roots have brought into flower.

To understand the Asiatic side of his work you have to cross the Rue de Rivoli to the Joyce Galerie at 168 Galerie Valois in the Jardins du Palais Royal. There, in double fabrics that give a sliding optical illusion to coin dot kimonos, Yamamoto's work is included among the creations of Chiso, the traditional Kyoto silk and kimono supplier. Its heritage of prints of flying cranes, russet autumn leaves and burgeoning summer flowers goes back 450 years.

In the museum show, the first reference to Japanese tradition is in 1995 when Yamamoto used the "shibori" or tie and dye technique to create crunched circles of color. The designer recalls his epiphany as he faced his native culture directly.

"For a long time I didn't want to touch it - I am Japanese and I didn't want to do souvenirs," says Yamamoto. "Then one day, I thought it is time to touch it and to break all my taboos - kimonos, body fit, high heels."

Yamamoto as iconoclast never really comes center stage in the exhibition, partly because it is, according to Saillard, so difficult to find examples of the torn-edged, aggressively asymmetric, intensely black work from the 1980s. But the show also lacks a visual context to explain how radically Yamamoto and his onetime partner Rei Kawakubo of Comme des Garçons differed from their contemporaries. Poetic fashion photographs from Paolo Roversi or Nick Knight of Yamamoto's work might have included their antithesis: the sharp-shouldered chic, the 1980s opulence and power-woman feminism of designers such as Karl Lagerfeld in his debut years at Chanel, Jean Paul Gaultier, Christian Lacroix, Claude Montana, Thierry Mugler and Yves Saint Laurent.

As shown, it is hard to absorb the shock waves caused by the black shrouds, the idea of finding elegance in the unfinished and enveloping rather than tracing the contours of the body.

Saillard believes that at the heart of Yamamoto's aesthetic is a Japanese concept that "to create you must destroy" and that one of his significant fashion contributions is the idea that their should be "air and space between body and clothes." The curator also says that so strong is the designer's personal vision that it was difficult to date the garments.

The display is powerful when it shows Yamamoto's ongoing fascination with Paris couture. Drawing on the museum archives, outfits from Balenciaga, Dior, Madame Grès, Schiaparelli and Madeleine Vionnet are shown beside the Japanese designer's sometimes whimsical but always technically astute versions. In a different and revealing juxtaposition, Saillard brought out Hungarian costumes to display beside chunky sweaters they inspired and to enforce the message that "ethnic clothes are the only kind that Yohji collects."

Another first in this exhibition is dear to Yamamoto's heart: the idea that some clothes on show have broken out of the glass cases and can be touched and stroked.

"Touch is the most important thing in my clothes," he says.

Last edited by a moderator:
good article, thank you.

i stole this quote from the article on hussein chalayan in the other thread

"This pioneering designer unites cultures and opens dialogues between them - without hinting, as our politicians often do, that one is superior to the other," he said. "We can learn from him."

this applies to yohji.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sruggirello
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->