Yohji Yamamoto Dream Shop-Antwerp Exhibition

Scott

Stitch:the Hand
Reaction score
Sounds quite lovely:woot:

MoMu is welcoming an exhibition devoted to Japanese designer Yohji Yamamoto. The third installment of a series beginning with the Pitti Immagine Foundation in Florence and the Musée de la Mode et du Textile in Paris, the Antwerp show is entitled DREAM SHOP. Halfway the exhibition the visitor enters the DREAM SHOP: a white, dream-like space where visitors can try on around twenty pieces in neon-drenched changing cubicles.
Thought of in two parts, this event will at once be a retrospective of the designer’s work and also a unique threefold experience of his creative work: visual, tactile and corporal.
Yamamoto’s designs strike the perfect balance between creative simplicity and technical virtuosity and refinement. His unique ability to combine the elegance of French haute couture with the traditions of Japanese dress results in pieces that are at once pure and sculptural.
Mise en scène by Masao Nihei – recognized for his particular treatment of light in his work on fashion shows – DREAM SHOP will present 80 silhouettes, from the late 1980s to today. For each of the three locations, a different concept was conceived that closely links up with the architecture of each exhibition space and the museum’s philosophy.
The silhouettes map a course that highlights the essential principles of clothing according to Yohji Yamamoto: the value of the colour black, the use of colour as light, construction of an equilibrium, the traditions and techniques of French couture, and the importance of air as an integral component between body and clothing. The emphasis will be particularly on the decade 1995 to 2005, an era of considerable rethinking of his creations.
entrance-hall.jpg
patio-1.jpg

kimono.jpg
try-me-on.jpg

shop-5.jpg
shop-4.jpg

pied-de-poule.jpg

*provant.be/momu

thanks for sharing, Scott!

This sounds and looks amazing.. :woot:

Damn it, first the Antwerp designer stock sales, now this. How I wish I didn't live on the other side of the world... It sounds really interesting, thanks Scott!

Avantster said:
Damn it, first the Antwerp designer stock sales, now this. How I wish I didn't live on the other side of the world... It sounds really interesting, thanks Scott!

:lol: Just what I thought.

Very beautiful.

I love the dress in the 2nd picture that resembles a dinosaur.

Best [fashion] exhibition I've visited, so far. ^_^ They covered some of most shows since ± 1995. Even the majestic wedding gown with the gloves and accesoires inside it [as pictured]. You can look at his clothes for as long as you want, you won't know what they're really like until you try them on, obviously... The most interesting thing to me was the transformation of the pieces hanging on a hanger, to how they take shape on the human body. That shortsleeve top/blazer was made for me... sigh. It was so obvious, they just should've donated it to me.

I also tried on this dress from his S/S 01 collection. :wub:

00023.L.JPG
00024.L.JPG

[firstview]

What are they gonna do when all the sudden the rain comes pouring down on our beloved dinosaur dress? :innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:
yes- don't try anything on- you will never be able to leave the yohji store without buying it...:lol:...
i am like that at comme des garcons as well...:P

looks great- amazing photos- thx scott...:flower:

iperlchen said:
What are they gonna do when all the sudden the rain comes pouring down on our beloved dinosaur dress? :innocent:

We all know dinosaurs do not get wet!

I'm so excited now to go in June! This along with the Antwerp Royal Academy show will be the highlights!

Cool, but that hooded figure walking away through broken glass is downright morbid...

Perle,thank you for the review! ^_^ Since it's going on till August maybe I'll be able to attend. Hopefully,also in time for Vitrine and the Fashion Walk :wink:

susie,do post a report!!

You're welcome everybody! And I would wholeheartedly suggest people to visit Antwerp. You WILL NOT be disappointed :heart:

Here are some pics I took, last week... got to school early and there had been a incident during the "windy Antwerp nights"
heh:ninja:

Attachments

• IMG_7061.JPG
    IMG_7061.JPG
    309 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7062.JPG
    IMG_7062.JPG
    374.8 KB · Views: 39
Thanks for the pics,sayan. I wonder if they're going to get something in to hold it down from the strong winds for the remainder of the exhibit?? I thought that would've been first thing since I myself am very aware of the gales in the Low Countries :lol:

Well, they just put it back up there, I am really wondering if Yohji is ok with having this piece under the weather..the rain pretty much ruined it the first days, now its just getting worst, the fusing is unsticking, the fabric is making bubbles and waving..its quite a sad spectacle.

*sayan said:
Well, they just put it back up there, I am really wondering if Yohji is ok with having this piece under the weather..the rain pretty much ruined it the first days, now its just getting worst, the fusing is unsticking, the fabric is making bubbles and waving..its quite a sad spectacle.

if I were Yohji I wold have the exhibition pulled out for this incident.
They should of thought of that before it happened. that is sad!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->