New York Fashion Week S/S 08 - Schedule

I hate to sound harsh, but God, who the hell are half these designers? Ive only heard of about 4 of them on Pages 1 & 2 of the D&C thread...

Don't worry about them too much- 90% of them will never be heard from again... :cry: That's the strange thing about Fashion Week growing so huge- many more players and shows, but how many will turn into a business success...?:unsure:

Anyway- I'm waiting for Ralph Lauren on Saturday night- and maybe even more for the 40th Anniversary after party, which may be even better than the show!!! I wonder if Kim Nye will be there...maybe not... :innocent:

(His ex gf, for those of you not reading Page Six years ago...)

Only a couple of hours til Alexander Wang :heart:!
+ I can't possibly wait a whole day for Doo.Ri . .!

A. Did Alber Elbaz show something yesterday? (11:30 AM Wednesday) If so, what was it?

B. Marc is a little too involved with celebrity culture. Celebs are in his ad campaigns, runway shows, handbag names...where next?

Answered my own question. From Style.com
just don't ask them about modeling

Superstar catwalkers Iman and Linda Evangelista were all too happy to come out to support Alber Elbaz at the FIT luncheon honoring him yesterday, but when the talk turned to shows, both models balked. "I haven't been to one since I modeled myself," said Iman. "It's too much work. It used to be that you were booked for the whole day by Calvin Klein and they would have two shows and that was it." Evangelista echoed that same back-in-the-day sentiment: "I did that Dior Couture 60th anniversary show in July," she said. "It took so long to get ready, I think I would have rather been watching."Sarah Cristobal

Rather than post normal size images on each individual thread which would give me carpal tunnel syndrome, see the Getty Images (only 18 in total per designer) here. Just click on the name of each designer and their presentation will appear. There is a link to the catwalk video on each page, as well. B)

You'll notice that in some cases, the video is there but the images aren't, and vice versa. Be patient. They get posted eventually! :innocent:

Ralph Lauren haters rejoice!! Just what you've all been waiting for... (Is this man powerful, or what!!?? :shock::lol:
Page Six Thursday NY Post:

September 6, 2007 -- CATTY fashionistas are griping about Ralph Lauren's Saturday fashion show in Central Park, because as one insider put it, "he's stealing all the models." Lauren asked his runway models like Caroline Trentini, Flavia Oliveira and Chanel Iman to sign contracts saying they "wouldn't be in any other shows that day," said the source. "He's making it extremely hectic for other designers showcasing their spring collections that day. Ralph embargoed his models. They are forbidden to walk in other shows. Everyone is going nuts."

PS: Obviously, this has a lot to do with his huge 40th Anniversary Dinner after the show- so the girls can stay and be part of the scene...And I wouldn't feel too bad for them, I'm sure they are all being very well compensated...Cheap, Ralph is not...

Last edited by a moderator:
^^Hahah i bet they are,thanks for posting,darling.^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Source Conde Nast Portfolio.com

Running the Runway

by Lauren Goldstein Crowe
accent-dotted-pipe.gif
Sep 7 2007
Once upon a time, fashion week was when department store buyers visited designers’ showrooms to stock up for the next season. Now it’s a splashy, multimillion-dollar event business.

Fashion Inc.
Fashion Week -- Isn't It Nice?
by Lauren Goldstein Crowe
It's been almost 10 years since I last covered the New York fashion shows. I've been covering fashion, but from Europe. To be honest, I haven't really missed New York and it is weird to be back.

7-runningrunway-large.jpg
Models on the runway at the Badgley Mischka show at the 2007 Mercedes Benz Fall Fashion Week.
Photograph by: Andy Kropa/Redux

As couture-clad leggy models slink down the runway this week at the annual Seventh on Sixth fashion show in New York, some other folks will be slinking their way to the bank—and not just the fashion houses hoping to get in on the $180 billion U.S. consumer-apparel market. Those who will also cash in include the backers of this increasingly high-profile, not to mention increasingly mainstream, spectacle.

Seventh on Sixth is part of a growing industry in itself. The event, as well as fashion weeks everywhere, has become bigger than just the business of buying and selling clothes, and the people who run fashion weeks are thinking bigger than New York or Paris runways. They’ve turned organizing shows into a profitable business, and are trying to bring fashion exhibitions in line with other forms of entertainment, such as sports and film.

Today, the events, managed by talent agency IMG, are profitable, sponsored, expensive to be in, expensive to attend, and spinning off into new locations around the globe. Forget the frocks and flocks of fashion editors; fashion week itself is a budding big business.

“There are cities and countries all over the word calling,” says Fern Mallis, vice president of fashion at IMG. Besides the well-known Paris and New York shows, IMG has either produced, bought, launched, or sold sponsorship for fashion weeks in Los Angeles; Miami; Sydney; Singapore; Lakmi, India; London; Hong Kong; Mexico City; and Moscow, as well as the more obscure fashion haunts of San Francisco, Dallas, and Houston. Mallis won’t reveal its total revenue is on the events, but says its fashion division is “growing fast.”

It’s a young business. Until 1991, New York’s designers were left to do their own thing. But that year, the ceiling of the Michael Kors showroom came down on fashion journalist Suzy Menkes’ head and the Council of Fashion Designers of America decided it would be better if it took charge. That November, CFDA rented a space in the Hotel Macklowe and asked designers to show there. Starting price for a small designer was $1,300—a pittance considering that then, at the apex of the supermodel age, it was said that Calvin Klein spent $250,000 on models for a single show.

Two years later CFDA launched a parallel group, Seventh on Sixth, and, inspired by the tent that housed the1992 Democratic National Convention, decided to hold the shows in Bryant Park. The cost of entry rose to $12,000, which included lights, runway, seats, clothing rails, mirrors, tables backstage, and security. (For a smaller fee, designers could and still can be listed on the official schedule and show wherever they like.) Eleven sponsors, including Clairol, General Motors, the New York Times, and Prescriptives, were enlisted to help cover the total costs of about $1.25 million. Evian, the title sponsor, paid a reported $200,000 in addition to providing bottled water for attendees.

In 2001, ten years after the shows went commercial, IMG took over management of the New York fashion shows, spending $5 million to produce them that year (they were subsequently cancelled mid-week after the September 11 terrorist attacks), and increasing to an estimated $12 million this year. Last year, IMG turned a profit on the shows for the first time, according to the New York Post.

IMG’s take comes in some part from the fashion houses themselves, who pay more and more each year to wedge a coveted spot in the event. The largest tent now costs $48,000. Additional revenue comes from the Daily, IMG’s fashion-week daily publication, which Brandusa Niro, its publication director, insists has been profitable from the start. A single ad page runs $10,950, about half the cost of a page in Women’s Wear Daily. (Another small part of revenues comes from ticket sales to the public—$200 purchased through American Express, or via ads on websites, such as Craigslist, for $500 or more.)

The balance of the costs is covered by IMG’s deft packaging of the event, bringing in a host of multimillion-dollar sponsors and enticing them with earth-spanning deals. New this year are Pakistan and Berlin. Mercedes-Benz is the title sponsor of the events in Los Angeles, Miami, New York, and, of course, Berlin, as well as other IMG fashion events. American Express is currently negotiating a deal similar in scope. DHL Express, which took over from U.P.S. as the official shipping sponsor this year, has stuck with just the U.S. market, as part of an overall branding strategy. “Our heritage is international shipping,” says Karen Jones, DHL senior vice president of corporate and marketing communications. “We are just now on the journey of building the brand in the U.S.”

If all the sponsorship and rising rents seem a bit too commercial for something considered by some to be an art, don’t forget that, at the end of the day, these displays of haute couture are at their core simply trade shows, serving markets with needs.

Didier Grumbach, who heads up the Fédération Française de la Couture, a trade group that has been organizing shows since the 1930s, notes, “There is a need in most continents for local fashion weeks to cater to local supply and distribution. China needs a fashion week for its own market. All the retailers in the world cannot come to Paris. It wouldn’t make sense.”

In other words, there is Fashion with a capital F, which appears on the runways of New York, Milan, Paris, and London. But there are also designers in local markets who make clothes for a local clientele. Take Lakmi fashion week: It was sponsored by the Gitanjali Group—a large jewelry maker in the region—and featured names like Gayatri Khanna and Anuj Sharma. Not every designer needs to show in Paris and not every retailer needs to go to Paris to buy. With IMG’s help, there are now glamorous shows to promote products in local markets.

“Everyone understands that these events are all about getting someone to go into a store with their credit card and buy clothing,” Mallis says. “If the designers come back to show again next season, then we’ve done our job.”

is there anything from Jovovich-Hawk? i'm assuming it was a presentation. i can't find anything about it

i'm already bored with NY fw...
but the best is to come, right???
Helmut Lang, McQ, MJ, 3as4, P.Lim, Rodriguez etc.

Lauren's choice is Tonne

Ralph Lauren's Saturday fashion show in Central Park

from NY Times today:

That clarity is expressed not only by the minimalist clothes, he adds, but also by the makeup and hair, and by using the hottest new models before anyone else, a Calvin Klein tradition. (This season the new model is a young German woman named Tonne.)

I am finally starting to chant under my breath "Rodarte! Rodarte! Rodarte!". :buzz:

is there anything from Jovovich-Hawk? i'm assuming it was a presentation. i can't find anything about it

Yes it was a presentation. There's a thread for it here in D&C.

^I was wondering the same thing, I thought they were supposed to show on Fri but I dont think so! Good shows today Im so excited for Michael Kors starting in 5 minutes!!:D and DVF later today, so I can start planningmy purchases for spring!!!:heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->