Nicole Kidman criticizes Angelina Jolie

Heroin_Chic

Reaction score
Nicole Kidman attacks Angelina

2006-09-08 12:30:01
nicole-kidman-imagenet3.jpg
Nicole Kidman has hit out at Angelina Jolie for using her charity work for publicity.
The Australian actress - who is about to make her first trip to India as goodwill ambassador for the United Nations Development Fund for Women - claims the 'Tomb Raider' star gets far too much re
cognition for her good deeds.
Nicole is quoted by Scotland's Daily Record newspaper as saying: "It's not like Angelina is any better than a nurse working in a hospital but she's getting the publicity for her contribution.
"I have a friend who is a doctor and every year he works in Africa for two months for no money. So everyone is on the same playing field, whether you offer your services as the doctor or as Angelina does."
Like Nicole, Angelina is also a United Nations goodwill ambassador.

The 'Alexander' actress - who gave birth to her first biological child, Shiloh Nouvel, with boyfriend Brad Pitt this year - is known for her charity work.

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/celebrity/Nicole+Kidman+attacks+Angelina-11540.html

I totally agree with Nicole and actually think every voluntary doctor or humanitarian worker in Africa deserves more credit than Angelina!

Heroin_Chic said:
I totally agree with Nicole and actually think every voluntary doctor or humanitarian worker in Africa deserves more credit than Angelina!

i think they exaggerate things. that's not an attack..

however, medicins sans frontieres get lots of credit as an organisation, and the doctors or humanitarian workers get the same publicity that angelina jolie gets, just in other relations. if some small town doctor spends two months in africa doing charity work he gets recognition among all those who know him. so it's not much difference. jolie can't change that she's known by more people in the world than others are. i don't think every doctor doing charity work regards himself as being entitled to worldwide fame for what he does.

i don't think it's an attack either. nicole has said before that being a celebrity helps bring attention to these problems which is one of the reasons why she wanted to become a u.n. ambassador. personally, i like them both. this is way too exagerrated. plus, nicole doesn't seem to be someone to criticize someone the way this one's made out to be.

WHAT!?! Grrr Nicole :ninja:

The point of a goodwill ambassador is that they are someone who gets publicity anyway using that to a good end! I think Nicole is a bit miffed nobody pays attention to her charity work. Perhaps she could go all out like Angie and invest her heart in some of these countries and learn to fly so she could carry in supplies and spend a great deal of her not working time campaigning.

Hmmmm.....I do agree that Angelina gets a lot of publicity for the work that she does, which pales in comparison to the work of many 'unknown' people who donate their time to charity.

Don't get me wrong, I commend Angelina for doing something instead of sitting on her butt but I've got to admit that she gets a crazy amount of publicity for her work. Seems like even Nicole doesn't get as much attention for her work and she seems to do as much, if not more, charity work than Angelina.

SiennaInLondon said:
If it is not an attack though, why use Angelina's name?

maybe because people are familiar with this kind of charity work through angelina jolie, so it illustrates the comparison (between jolie and everybody else who does charity work) people can immediately picture a doctor, a nurse, a humanitarian worker.. doing charity work in africa and are informed that they do even more. i'm not as eloquent as what i'm talking about i know, but i hope you know what i mean. using a name that rings a bell with everyone is just a way of getting his idea across.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Nicole
She receives way too much attention, even for a celebrity (there are many celebrities who have done UN work but no one knows about it)

SiennaInLondon said:
If it is not an attack though, why use Angelina's name?

maybe because she's one of the most recognized celebrity/humanitarian out there. i don't know. we never know what the reality is behind these gossips. i just personally think it's not an attack given both parties' records.

And yeah...it doesn't sound like an attack at all. You could almost say that she's commending Angelina when she says that everyone is on an equal playing field and that everyone does their bit, from the doctors helping the patients to Angelina bringing issues to the world's attention.

Wow.... I don't see anything very insulting on Nicole's part. It's very true in fact!
What Angelina does is great... it's good to see that not all actors & actresses are self centered egomaniacs. Charity/ Volunteer work is a very humbling experience actually.

On the other hand, I had no idea that Nicole was also a goodwill ambassador.
I don't necessarily think it's Angelina's fault that what she does is so publicized. Ever since the Brad/Jen brakeup a lot of focus has been on her...

I say good for everyone, nurse, doctor or any other person who takes time out of their lives and focus on something other than their problems for just a few moments and see what's going on in other parts of the world.

The way the article is written it looks as though the comments could easily have been taken out of context, but it does sound like Nicole is being a bit of a sourpuss. I think it would have been ok for her to talk about the over-recognition SHE is given when compared to ordinary people doing charity work, but to name Angelina starts being bitchy. (And a little too much of the pot calling the kettle black, considering Nicole is also one of those overblown celebrities who rake in money which is hardly proportional to her actual job.)

Oh well, she was probably just getting cranky because the interviewer was more interested in talking about Angelina Jolie than her.

I think ALL celebrities shouldn't get recognition for their charity work, in a way I think they just use it for publicity, which is quite sad and pathetic...you dont need a celebrity to aware people that there is starving kids in third world countries...

I agree that this doesn't seem like an attack on Angelina, just like something she mentioned in passing. She has a point and it's stupid for the press to try and start something over it.

All that she is saying is that why should celebrities get attention for doing good deeds when "normal" people do the same thing everyday (like nurses, doctors, firefighters, teachers, social workers, etc.)...which is a VERY good point. I agree with her-- give credit to the little people too if you're going to be patting people on the back!

Nicole is not one to speak badly of others to the press.

lol....another woman bashing another one for the same good deed.

^ my time limit was up for editing my post but

I felt like Nicole Kidman doesn`t mean to criticized Angelina but her words are cold to a fellow Goodwell Ambassdor....its like being praise and slap at the same time. What a pity...Nicole should`ve talked more about her organization: U.N. Development Fund for Women instead of giving MORE publicity to and about Angelina Joile.

As a reader, I would love to read more about her work as a Goodwill Ambassador NOT comparing this person to that person.

isn't the whole point of angelina going to these places to get publicity???

The only thing Nicole is credited for saying is:

"It's not like Angelina is any better than a nurse working in a hospital but she's getting the publicity for her contribution." and "I have a friend who is a doctor and every year he works in Africa for two months for no money. So everyone is on the same playing field, whether you offer your services as the doctor or as Angelina does."

So I don't think it was meant as an attack I think that she was only trying to point out that a lot of people does just as much charity work as Angelina but without getting the credit for it.
You get my point?

Yes, I get your point. I don't think it's an attack either. But everything microscopic is blown up by the media....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
famfaluca
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->