Angelina buys Ethiopia

fezbatik said:
I think it's really sad when Angelina's positive humanitarian efforts are perceived as pr scams or ways for her to annoy the world.

Step back and ask yourself what you have done lately to improve the plight f displaced human beings...(I will do the same)

I for one am extremely happy to hear that she is using her money to improve situations in Africa. And since it looks like she will be giving birth to her baby there (in pristine conditions I can only imagine), than I would hope that she would be putting forth her efforts in improving conditions there for other women (and men, and babies).

How about we celebrate people who have the courage to stand up for other human beings? This would be a little more productive, non?

^^ Well said, and thank you for saying it! KARMA for you!

I agree... at least she's making an effort.

And I have heard she gives alot more than 5% of her salary...
but I guess only her and her accountant know for sure.

And let's keep in mind this buying Ethiopia Island and moving the Africans could be total BS.

I def agree with cocomoonkey4..It's just my opinion but I think that Angelina was really better in her previous "image" when she act like a "rebel" marring billy bob and all that stuff that I think really suits her..now It's getting really boring with this "look at me I'm such a saint..." . It's a great think to help people but she just looks so fake..and all the brad story..I don't know she just act like everybody else in hollywood but she dose't want to be compared to them..if this rumor it's true I think that she def has lost her mind..moving people from their home it's not charity is insane..

When does Angelina go " look at me"....?
She seems like a very private person these days.

brokenenglish said:
And let's keep in mind this buying Ethiopia Island and moving the Africans could be total BS.

yeah, i don't think moving the africans is going to happen. but what is she going to do with that island?

Get away from all the attention for her personal life, which she doesn't seem to want?...

BoscoBJGD said:
I can't believe the hypocrisy of so many people who replied to this. You criticize Angelina for not doing enough, for only caring about the issues "superficially," for ONLY donating 5% of her income to African causes. How much time and money do you give to charitable causes? It's easy to sit back in your chair at your computer and say how rich she is and that she should give more, but she's probably already done more than 95% of the world will ever do (including most of the people who are criticizing her). If you want to criticize a celebrity turn your attention to the Paris Hiltons and Lindsey Lohans who stop thinking about themselves long enough to consider charitable causes only when it involves a benefit with a red carpet.

Having said that, this story sounds like total bs.

Applause for you:wink:

They would complain about some celebrity doing some charity work, while doing none themselves and buying every Chloe Paddy produced.

Even if you don't understand what she is doing, at least give it some time before writing her off completely. So many of you don't know or care about what goes on in those countries, children digging up those diamonds for you engagement rings, children being made into soldiers, turned against their family, infant girls being raped, it goes on and on.

You don't have to help, but damn give credit where it is due. If she gave the country 50 million dollars or anything else, it's still 'just a publicity stunt':rolleyes:

chicca said:
I def agree with cocomoonkey4..It's just my opinion but I think that Angelina was really better in her previous "image" when she act like a "rebel" marring billy bob and all that stuff that I think really suits her..now It's getting really boring with this "look at me I'm such a saint..." . It's a great think to help people but she just looks so fake..and all the brad story..I don't know she just act like everybody else in hollywood but she dose't want to be compared to them..if this rumor it's true I think that she def has lost her mind..moving people from their home it's not charity is insane..

Are you serious? You would rather Angelina be attached to a completely frivolous and shallow image than one based on integrity and human aid??? :shock:

She's a human being with many layers - not just a hollywood tart - she is entitled to create herself in her own image - not based on what the public sees as her appropriate image.

These comments are so absurd to me. HUMANITARIAN RELIEF IS not a bad thing, no matter where it comes from.

:flower:

what a silly gimmick...why doesn't she just give money to the real Ethiopia

Can we all keep in mind this is from FemaleFirst, which is usually BS about 90% of the time?

I think that whole islands of the world thing is totally cool. I am interested in how it will look and sustain itself. and seriously, how do you build an "island"??

I heard it took tons and tons of dirt.... thousands of pounds being shipped there....other than that, not so sure?:huh:
I wonder if they are taking the rising sea levels into account?

chicca said:

I'm not so sure she is moving people to her island... But anyway, I'm not so sure she was posing and building an image with her wild ways. And I'm not convinced she's posing as a do-gooder now. Don't forget she's still outspoken on "hot" issues.

I think she comes across as remarkably mature and genuine for a Hollywood celebrity. With a few quirks and idiosynchrosies, sure...

You could probably buy the real Ethiopia for $1,000... why would you ever waste your money on an island replica?

I disagree. I think people are talking about her in this bad light at turning everything she does into a "publicity stunt" and into something bad when in actuality (however small or large) she's doing her part. Most people on here talking about her in such and such a way are probably themselves not contributing anything. To criticize you must first realise. Just because she has millions doesnt mean she should give it all away. She has children now and one on the way! She has their future to secure and their childrens childrens childrens future. I mean, she worked for that money. The fact that she's giving ANYTHING, taking the time to GO there as opposed to just TALK. She's buying an island and we are criticizing her for it? She can afford it and we don't know her intentions to criticize as well! People say JUST give the money to the ethiopians. If I'm not mistaken, COUNTRIES have been donating millions annually and has anything changed? She's taking situations into her own hands. Good for her. For all we know this could be bull. So she holds Louis Vuitton bags and enjoys the life she was blessed with, would you not do the same? Probably! And no one can blame you for it either.

Isn't she like an embassader or something to one of those countries? I think because she is an embassader and/or recieved all these humanitarian awards, people do kind of expect Angelina to be a bit more sensative to the issues of the poor, starving, ill, etc.

On a side note: am I the only one who thinks this whole luxery island thing seems like just another way for celebrities to waste money? I mean, many celebrities/rich people have like two or three homes and then they go and buy an island as well?

Last edited by a moderator:

Turn all of your opinions into the opposite and you have my views. ARE YOU KIDDING?

this makes me so mad that she would rather buy a fake country then give money to the real country which so desperatly needs it ... im not even going to bother to start on whast i think on this cos we will be here for ever .. and it will make me angry ... god some people ..grrr :ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
triplesilversilversilver
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->