Nicole Kidman criticizes Angelina Jolie

again, how has she 'raised' awareness ?
how?
If we read a newspaper article about her and brad being in africa, do we really care what she's doing there? do we go to africa.com and donate money ?do we change anything ? no.
I'd rather have the little organisations to be so overhyped and not Angelina who has tv interviews and make up artists with her everytime she's visiting an orphanage.
what has she done exactly? except for donating money? which millions of people do ?noone is saying its bad she's doing it, but some people 'Admire' HER specifically so much, and that i find ridiculous.
MANY celebrities donate you just dont hear about it so publically.

The ONLY reason why Angelina is so known for her charity work is because she adopted two children from 3rd world countries. If she didn't, she'd just be another UN goodwill ambassador like Nicole Kidman or Carmen Kass.

LeonieAlexandria said:
how?
If we read a newspaper article about her and brad being in africa, do we really care what she's doing there? do we go to africa.com and donate money ?do we change anything ? no.

Too true...Whenever I see on the news that she has visited a African country I am not enligtened about that country's plight because they only focus on Angelina.

I think she just uses the whole charity thing just to build up her saint or sinner image.

LeonieAlexandria said:
how?
I'd rather have the little organisations to be so overhyped and not Angelina who has tv interviews and make up artists with her everytime she's visiting an orphanage.

but doesn't that go for every celebrity helping to 'raise' awareness?

this seems to be turning into an Angelina Jolie bashing thread. :doh:

LeonieAlexandria said:
how?
what has she done exactly? except for donating money? which millions of people do ?noone is saying its bad she's doing it, but some people 'Admire' HER specifically so much, and that i find ridiculous.
MANY celebrities donate you just dont hear about it so publically.

Um..... some people do.:innocent:

When Angelina appeared on Anderson Cooper's 360, over 1.33 million people tuned in. According to mediabistro.com -

"Since Anderson Cooper's "360 Exclusive TV interview with Angelina Jolie, the phones at UNHCR's donation center have not stopped ringing," a CNN spokesperson e-mailed this afternoon. "The program displayed UNHCR's donation hotline throughout the two hour special. There was a significant spike in donations; over $350,000 pledged (and climbing), including most significantly 30% of these new donors decided to join UNHCR's monthly gift program, indicating an interest in long term involvement in helping refugees."

As for what excatly she has done, while everyone was more focused on Brad and Angelina in Morcco "are they or aren't they dating?" she was there for a reason.

Source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/06/05/ING9QD1FIE1.DTL

"The movie star had little time to pay heed to the titillating headlines, nor was she likely to see them on newsstands in Sierra Leone, the impoverished African country where she spent the week of May 9 meeting Sierra Leone's president and survivors of the country's 11-year civil war.

Jolie's confab with Ahmad Tejan Kabbah was historic, says one witness. Kabbah opened the meeting to civil rights groups in Sierra Leone (one of the few times he's ever done that), pledged to work with the organizations in the future and committed himself to responding to recommendations from the country's Truth and Reconciliation Commission.

Kabbah might not have taken any action were it not for the actress, says Gavin Simpson, a Sierra Leone activist who worked with Jolie during her visit to the West African country. An example of star power? You bet.

Jolie has been a Goodwill Ambassador with the United Nations' High Commission on Refugees for four years, traveling to the Sudan, Pakistan, Sierra Leone and other countries where refugee problems are a major concern. Jolie always pays her own way, and her work with the refugee commission is volunteer.

Whether this is a welcome development depends on your perspective. Organizations that work with the stars are ecstatic for the extra publicity they get. The week Jolie was in Sierra Leone, for example, she could have been promoting her new movie, "Mr. & Mrs. Smith," which co-stars Pitt and opens on Friday. Instead, Jolie chose to pay her own way to Sierra Leone so she could act as a representative for Witness, a New York organization started by a musical celebrity Peter Gabriel that uses video technology to spotlight human rights causes.
"Angelina Jolie pays every penny of her work with UNHCR, and hazarding a guess, I'd say that might cost in the neighborhood of at least a couple hundred thousand dollars a year, minimum," says Shannon Boyd, who directs the refugee commission's Goodwill Ambassadors program. "It sets a new standard for the new generation of Goodwill Ambassadors."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry but I love Angelina for what she's doing. She's an extraordinary woman, in my eyes. I'm just not understanding the strong dislike for what she is doing. Is because she's a beautiful woman? Is it because of the whole "Brad" thing? Someone make me understand.

Sure there are other celebrities that do just as much as her. But isn't the thread about Angelina? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
eternitygoddess said:
The ONLY reason why Angelina is so known for her charity work is because she adopted two children from 3rd world countries. If she didn't, she'd just be another UN goodwill ambassador like Nicole Kidman or Carmen Kass.

If that is the case, than those people should switch from watching E! and Entertainment Tonight to CNN and CBS World News.:innocent:

eternitygoddess said:

No. I bought a diary she wrote about travelling in these countries before any of the adoptions. Sharon Stone adopts babies as do a million other celebrities but that is beside the point.

... I just hate it when people call girls 'jealous' just because they criticize another woman. Do a search, there's like 10 supermodels/actresses the past 4 weeks I praised and called wonderful and beautiful. So don't give me that.
I dont explained why i dislike her.
Im not saying she is in africa for vacation, im saying other people dedicate their LIFE to help people and crawl in the mudd, and angelina is praised like a goddess cause she gives interviews.
To me what she's doing is nice, but she's a bad person because of what kind of person she is.

LeonieAlexandria said:
... I just hate it when people call girls 'jealous' just because they criticize another woman. Do a search, there's like 10 supermodels/actresses the past 4 weeks I praised and called wonderful and beautiful. So don't give me that.
Im not saying she is in africa for vacation, im saying other people dedicate their LIFE to help people and crawl in the mudd, and angelina is praised like a goddess cause she gives interviews.
To me what she's doing is nice, but she's a bad person because of what kind of person she is.

It's okay, I'll take your word for it.:rolleyes:

As someone already noted, those people who dedicate their lives are praised. Not in the same level as Angelina but they do get praised. She's a celebrity. She's known on a larger scale. She can't help that.

Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion. I just think you should have a stronger (and more accurate) basis for proclaiming her as a "bad person".

LeonieAlexandria said:

nobody has said anything about jealousy have they? :huh:

do you know her personally? what kind of a person is she? Isn't it WHAT you do that makes you who you are?

justlooking said:
nobody has said anything about jealousy have they? :huh:

do you know her personally? what kind of a person is she? Isn't it WHAT you do that makes you who you are?

fashionicon said:
I'm just not understanding the strong dislike for what she is doing. Is because she's a beautiful woman?

what else was she tryin to say other than people dislike her for her looks? doesnt that imply they're jealous, therefore they hate her?:blink:

- yes, but ( IMO ) she also has a pretty messed up psyche, weird sex life and is a husband stealer ( ALL in MY opinion and from how i see it )- and that DOES make a person weird or bad in my eyes. And charity won't make me like her more. I cant help it. I do know that I don't see this objectively, it's just that I always thought she's overrated and seems like a b*tch who'll do anything to achieve her own goals. somehow..cold-blooded or something. thats why i dont buy her good,kind mother and good will ambassador thing.

fashionicon said:
Kabbah might not have taken any action were it not for the actress, says Gavin Simpson, a Sierra Leone activist who worked with Jolie during her visit to the West African country. An example of star power? You bet.

Very interesting fashionicon. The fact that Angelina gets such high profile these days probably makes some of these government ministers more scared of what she will say about them.

fashionicon said:
"Angelina Jolie pays every penny of her work with UNHCR, and hazarding a guess, I'd say that might cost in the neighborhood of at least a couple hundred thousand dollars a year, minimum," says Shannon Boyd, who directs the refugee commission's Goodwill Ambassadors program. "It sets a new standard for the new generation of Goodwill Ambassadors."

I think what everyone is missing in this discussion is this crucial fact. She is not getting more publicity because she is inately more publicity worthy than Nicole or whomever. She is getting more publicity because she is setting "a new standard for the new generation of Goodwill Ambassadors." And that is phenomenal. I dont think any celebrity even considered going to these lengths in the past not necessarily because they had bad intentions and were doing it for the cameras, but because it had NEVER been done.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

fashionicon said:
I'm sorry but I love Angelina for what she's doing. She's an extraordinary woman, in my eyes. I'm just not understanding the strong dislike for what she is doing. Is because she's a beautiful woman? Is it because of the whole "Brad" thing? Someone make me understand.

There are a few reasons I think fashionicon. Firstly there is the idiotic need to portray Jennifer as America's Princess in a nation that doesnt have a monarchy. I think America needs to get over this America's Sweetheart concept. It is ridiculous. The only reason I support our monarchy is because it inspires people to take the piss out of them.

Second of all, Angelina goes against the moral conservatism of most people. Other than the intelligentsia in any nation (and I would include many worldy fashion industry insiders in this category but not all), most common people have very reactionary, narrow minded views. To them, any woman who plays with knives, is bisexual, refuses to settle into monogamous conventions, adopts multi racial children and travels to "axis-of-evil" :smile:sick: I hate that term) countries, is basically the devil incarnate. And when she has THAT face, she comes dressed as an Angel and that is even worse. Hell she could bring down the moral fabric of the world singlehandedly :lol:

LeonieAlexandria said:

I agree with Justlooking! That was a unjustifiable and a little agression-tinged thing to say :(

People are who they are because of what they do. What else has she done to you? :shock:

SiennaInLondon said:
Second of all, Angelina goes against the moral conservatism of most people. Other than the intelligentsia in any nation (and I would include many worldy fashion industry insiders in this category but not all), most common people have very reactionary, narrow minded views. To them, any woman who plays with knives, is bisexual, refuses to settle into monogamous conventions, adopts multi racial children and travels to "axis-of-evil" :smile:sick: I hate that term) countries, is basically the devil incarnate. And when she has THAT face, she comes dressed as an Angel and that is even worse. Hell she could bring down the moral fabric of the world singlehandedly :lol:

EXACTLY!!! :flower:

People have their t.v's tuned to Access Hollywood where you have Billy Bush talking about a Brangelina sighting at SoHo, instead of the real news, where it is talking about her doing something resourceful and meaningful in the world.

And I'm sure people have more skeletons in their closets.

LeonieAlexandria said:
- yes, but ( IMO ) she also has a pretty messed up psyche, weird sex life and is a husband stealer ( ALL in MY opinion and from how i see it )- and that DOES make a person weird or bad in my eyes. And charity won't make me like her more. I cant help it. I do know that I don't see this objectively, it's just that I always thought she's overrated and seems like a b*tch who'll do anything to achieve her own goals.

This is what I meant by narrow minded opinions fashionicon. You are not alone in your views Leonie and I am sure guilty of disliking a celebrity on just feeling. But I won't try and justify it if I cant because objectivity -something you say you dont have in this instance -is important in any discussion.

To condemn someone for their psyche or their sex lives is just the worst thing possible in my book and I say that objectively. What about homosexuals, or people who use sex toys or people who like consentual pain? As long as it isn't happening to me, I could never judge. And if she really does have a 'messed up psyche' which I dont buy for a second, is that reason to condemn her? Is it ok, as Texas seems to think, to sentence a killer to death if he or she is clearly mentally ill?

And husband stealer? Not only do we not know the details of this, but I am part of a growing faction in the world who think that marriage, the false promises that go with it and society forcing monogamy down our throats is what is dangerous, not people who break these archaic laws. So to me, your opinions are immoral, not hers. (I am not trying to be contrary I am just trying to illustrate the other side of the coin here)

Live and let live. Not original, but that is the cornerstone of my views and probably Angelina's too.

fashionicon said:
And I'm sure people have more skeletons in their closets.

Exactly! The crucial point here is that Angelina has no skeletons because I dont think she knows how to be dishonest. And honesty is far more important than say, being in a loveless marriage and cheating (which she wouldnt do -she would just say so outright).

Lovely to have reasoned discussion fashionicon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
famfaluca
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->