Virgil Abloh - Designer

Kris Van Assche would be an interesting proposal for Vuitton Menswear, since he has a real talent for tailoring and a more refined take on menswear.

We don't need more streetwear/hypebeast-wear/sportswear anymore, especially at LVMH. The market is oversaturated and LVMH have hypebeast galore already - Kim Jones, Matthew Williams, etc. What's more, Virgil is kind of the apex of that whole movement, and if Vuitton hired someone to do something similar, it would only weaken their position.

This is an opportunity for LVMH to really lead the way for a new and dynamic vision for luxury menswear, with a return to something more refined and classic.

I love Kris, but I doubt that. Because I heard his not very happy Dior Homme experiences... It will stress him out.
It would be really interesting to see who will they pick.

No but he was a cultural force. His talent has never been in design or even creativity but with his ability to reflect hiphop culture to an hypebeast generation…

Grâce is maybe a good designer but I’m less than impressed by her offering. And we can say that she is a cultural force.
She has her entry at LVMH for sure but for Vuitton?
We will see anyway. It’s either Alexandre or Delphine who will decide and lately Alexandre has made a lot of moves…

Ultimately, it's Delphine who decides for LV, she's the most trusted and experienced child, and LV is the crown jewel of the group. She's is involved in LV the same way her father is in Dior.

I hope Delphine can take over the group in the future, the boys are messing around right now! See the ugly shoes at Berluti boutiques and the new bag which is on full promotion at Loro Piana, so ugly and the quality of leather is even not at the same level as it used to be. Oh and Tiffany Blue Nautilus which is all over the front pages at every watch media. The boys are chasing quick money and they don't care anything else at all.

BTW I saw a very mean comment elsewhere...it's a bit insulting to be honest...someone wrote Off-white should change its name to Off-line:ninja:

Ultimately, it's Delphine who decides for LV, she's the most trusted and experienced child, and LV is the crown jewel of the group. She's is involved in LV the same way her father is in Dior.
Delphine decides but the influence of her brothers is not unseen.
I applaud Delphine because she made audacious choices like Nicolas at Vuitton, JW at Loewe and even if I wasn’t a fan of both Raf at Dior and Clare at Givenchy, there are still audacious choices rooted in knowledge.
The brothers and particularly Alexandre, are more culture-connected. That’s why they chose Virgil or Matthew. Virgil did wonders but Matthew is struggling and while you can’t really anticipate those kind of results, it’s a bit crazy to imagine that a house can lost it luster in less than a year.

Antoine let Haider go for KVA who only did 3 years? What was the point? It got them more press and coverage but in terms of long lasting impact, it’s a mess…

So far, Alexandre is doing a great job. He relaunched Rimowa and even if his strategy for Tiffany seems a bit overdone, for me there’s a potential. That being said, I’m afraid of what could happen if they decides to give him the keys of a fashion brand. He can be a great CEO for Off White but an heritage brand? I will be very scared!

The brothers and particularly Alexandre, are more culture-connected.
I really don’t want to care about this family but you’re selling French Succession right here, in an infinitely more exciting world and just.. tell us more. :lol::zorro:

I really don’t want to care about this family but you’re selling French Succession right here, in an infinitely more exciting world and just.. tell us more. :lol::zorro:

Suddenly I’m dying for a nasty, dishy, adult behind-the-scenes power-struggle fashion world show that’s more about the business aspect and less about modeling or the usual frivolities. House of Gucci, but… better and more in depth.

^ in which you know the absence of lewd vocabulary would absolutely be more than compensated by the general bad vibes of the French. lol.

Ahaha… Unfortunately I don’t think it’s that scandalous there. Arnault I think has raised his children quite well and they were quite free to explore their capacities…
They all did great schools. And they all entered the family business through their interest. Antoine was into communication and marketing so at Vuitton, he did that. The infamous campaigns with Ali or Gorbatchev, the journées particulières.
Delphine is maybe the one who has really the profile of a fashion CEO. She was at Dior with Toledano during the Galliano years and I think that’s where her eye for talents come from. Her team at Vuitton with Burke is working.
There’s a great balance I think in the way they are integrated into the company. And they aren’t alone. Toledano, Beccari or Burke are mentors but also they can manage to check their egos as they are family friends they grew around.

I think family business are maybe harder to handle when there’s one brand involved. We saw it at Hermès for example when LVMH was able to buy stocks.

When there a many brands, everybody can be a boss. It’s easier to tap into your personal interest. When you have only one, everybody wants to be on top.

Seriously, it would have been a total embarrassment for Arnault to have conflicts in his group considering that it’s his ability to capitalize on conflicts and his sneaky ways that allowed him to get Dior and LVMH.

Antoine let Haider go for KVA who only did 3 years? What was the point? It got them more press and coverage but in terms of long lasting impact, it’s a mess…

It was a huge mistake when they fired Haider due to his friendship with Timothée Chalamet. They had a great opportunity to gain to young customer and continue to have interesting goods for the mature men. The classic men fashion are change, but they too much focused on attract street wear type of customer. The contemporary fashion forgot that some people still have old job when their wear elegant or demi casual clothes.

So far, Alexandre is doing a great job. He relaunched Rimowa and even if his strategy for Tiffany seems a bit overdone, for me there’s a potential. That being said, I’m afraid of what could happen if they decides to give him the keys of a fashion brand. He can be a great CEO for Off White but an heritage brand? I will be very scared!

He has talent of business, but his strategy for brands belong to used old tricks which is not bad ideas, but are starting to look outdated. In fashion industry sometimes you should risk and show something which nobody expect. Delphine know how risk.

They were brought up the old way - started as intern when have gained experience their got more significant job and all they working in fashion departament. LVMH has special company which deals with complex financial issues and has been very important during various acquisitions. Unfortunately I don't remember what it's called in one book there was about it.

At the Versace was a lot dirty situations when Gianni was pass away because Donatella only got 20% share her daughter Allegra was getting 50% procent of share company. Donatella was not happy and the italian newspapers wrote a lot about private conflicts in the family.

The Daily Mail (I repeat, The Daily Mail) is reporting Kanye West is "being lined up" to become the new creative director of Louis Vuitton menswear:

Kanye West is 'being lined up' to replace the late Virgil Abloh as Louis Vuitton creative director... in a move allegedly orchestrated by the longterm friends before the designer's death

Kanye West is reportedly being eyed as the next creative director for Louis Vuitton after the passing of Virgil Abloh.

According to The Sun, West and Abloh 'masterminded' the 44-year-old rapper's alleged creative takeover prior to the late designer's death.

Abloh, who served as the luxury brand's artistic director for menswear, died on November 28 after battling a rare form of cancer, cardiac angiosarcoma, for two years. He was 41.

'Kanye is devastated about Virgil's death because they had been friends for years and worked together a lot,' a source told the outlet on Wednesday.

'They shared a similar vision and now Kanye feels he owes it to Virgil to continue his work at Louis Vuitton.'

DailyMail.com has reached out to representatives for Kanye 'Ye' West who have yet to respond.

Back in 2009, West and Abloh met while serving as interns for the Italian luxury brand Fendi in Rome, Italy. It was there that the pair's 12 year friendship was born.

Kanye made Virgil the creative director of his content company Donda in 2010.

He'd go on to serve as artistic director for Kanye and longtime collaborator Jay-Z's Watch The Throne album, which earned him a grammy nod for art direction at the 2012 ceremony.

Along with his partnership with West, Abloh allowed his own designs and artistic vision to flourish through the launch of his own line Off-White in 2013.

His groundbreaking fusions of streetwear and high couture made him one of the most celebrated tastemakers.

Virgil would become the first black American creative director of a top French fashion house after he was named as Louis Vuitton's menswear creative director in 2018.

According to Forbes, the Louis Vuitton empire - founded in Paris, France in 1854 - is currently valued at nearly $50billion with $15billion in worldwide sales.

Over a decade ago, West's collaboration with the brand on a line of sneakers proved to be massive success.

As reported by GQ, the 12-year-old sneakers surpassed 'the $1.5 billion mark in annual sales; in 2019.

Though they were retailed at just over $1100 upon their 2009 release, the sneakers are now worth over $30,000, 'seeing a value increase of 2,532 per cent.'

Since 2009, Kanye has only further immersed himself into the fashion world with the launch of his Yeezy label in 2015.

The odd silhouettes and design choices that make Yeezy what it is has captured the hearts - and wallets - of fashion lovers around the world.

Though he may be slated to take over Louis Vuitton, West's alleged ascent to power in not without a heavy heart as he continues to grieve Abloh's very recent passing.

After news broke on November 29, the Grammy-Award winner hosted a Sunday Service vigil for his longtime friend.

As another display of unimaginable grief, West wiped his entire Instagram page of content.

DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

I don't think that is possible and I hope it is not. Kanye is not "stable" enough for an important role like that, Dior and LV are two houses that Arnault holds dearly, so there is no way he will tolerant of any wild behaviors from Kanye.

Also didn't Kanye already has 10 years contract with Gap, I doubt they allowing him for another house.

I applaud Delphine because she made audacious choices like Nicolas at Vuitton, JW at Loewe and even if I wasn’t a fan of both Raf at Dior and Clare at Givenchy, there are still audacious choices rooted in knowledge.
The brothers and particularly Alexandre, are more culture-connected. That’s why they chose Virgil or Matthew. Virgil did wonders but Matthew is struggling and while you can’t really anticipate those kind of results, it’s a bit crazy to imagine that a house can lost it luster in less than a year.

Delphine also picked Hedi for Slimane, her husband and her took his very big plane and did several LA-Paris in a couple of month to negotiate Hedi's terms.

^ so Shiv and Tom..

Lola, it’s not scandalous yet, but you described the perfect preamble for when dad shows his first signs of mortality. (or.. am I abusing HBO? :lol:)

Uh, I always saw Virgil as an unfortunate consequence of Kanye’s odd desperation to be validated and accepted by the fashion industry, and in the worst of cases, as a Kanye puppet, so I wouldn’t be surprised.. it’s like the stars aligned for this as*hole if it turns out to be true, which.. never underestimate fashion’s ability to find a new meaning to rock bottom lol.

I wouldn't be surprised by the appointment tbh. I wouldn't expect it to last long however given Kanye's unpredictability and controversy in the public eye. You literally never know what the f*** he is going to say or do, unlike Virgil who was a fashion disruptor but predictable and safe as a person.

^ so Shiv and Tom..

Lola, it’s not scandalous yet, but you described the perfect preamble for when dad shows his first signs of mortality. (or.. am I abusing HBO? :lol:)

Uh, I always saw Virgil as an unfortunate consequence of Kanye’s odd desperation to be validated and accepted by the fashion industry, and in the worst of cases, as a Kanye puppet, so I wouldn’t be surprised.. it’s like the stars aligned for this as*hole if it turns out to be true, which.. never underestimate fashion’s ability to find a new meaning to rock bottom lol.

No Shiv and Tom, her husband is already a rich and powerful mogul by himself (he's the one with a 737 and buying tons of property in LA and San Francisco to be closer to Hedi)

I am placing my bet on Nigo, his aesthetics (not particularly one that I like, and I find it kinda dated but he is capable of inventing and reinventing being the father of streetwear, kinda) fits that of Virgil`s, they hung out together, he is a minority so people will love to lap that up, and hypebeast loves him.

And he has been kinda resting for a while, so ready to take on some big projects?

EXCLUSIVE: Louis Vuitton and Nike ‘Air Force 1’ by Virgil Abloh Sneaker to Launch With Auction
Two hundred pairs of the limited-edition sneakers will go on sale through sothebys.com on Jan. 26, with proceeds going to Abloh’s scholarship fund for Black fashion students.

January 19, 2022, 1:00am
HERO-SHOTS_01.jpg

The Louis Vuitton and Nike “Air Force 1” by Virgil Abloh and pilot case to be auctioned exclusively at Sotheby's. Courtesy of Louis Vuitton
PARIS Louis Vuitton will launch its eagerly awaited “Air Force 1” sneakers, designed in collaboration with Nike, with an auction to benefit late designer Virgil Abloh’s scholarship fund for Black fashion students, marking the first of a string of related initiatives scheduled to take place this year.

Abloh, who died of cancer in November at the age of 41, unveiled the shoes last June as part of his spring 2022 line for the French luxury house.

Vuitton plans to present his fall 2022 collection, which Louis Vuitton chairman and chief executive officer Michael Burke said was 95 percent completed at the time of the designer’s passing, in two shows on Thursday as part of Paris Fashion Week for the men’s wear collections.

Two hundred pairs of the limited-edition Louis Vuitton and Nike “Air Force 1” by Virgil Abloh sneakers will go on sale through sothebys.com, with proceeds going to the Virgil Abloh “Post Modern” Scholarship Fund, which he launched in 2020 with an initial endowment of $1 million, Louis Vuitton, Nike and Sotheby’s said on Wednesday in a joint statement provided exclusively to WWD.

The sneakers in the online auction, set to run from Jan. 26 to Feb. 8, will be made available in an exclusive colorway and a range of sizes, from 5 to 18, with bids starting at $2,000. The shoes are made of calf leather, featuring Vuitton’s signature Monogram and Damier patterns, with natural cowhide piping.

HERO-SHOTS_04.jpg

The Louis Vuitton and Nike “Air Force 1” by Virgil Abloh to be auctioned exclusively at Sotheby’s. Courtesy of Louis Vuitton
Each pair will be sold with a Louis Vuitton pilot case in monogram-embossed orange leather, with a 3D tag in orange leather with a white swoosh on top. To coincide with the sale, the shoes and the sneaker trunk, which is also exclusive to the auction, will be exhibited in the lobby of Sotheby’s New York from Wednesday to Feb. 8.

The event will precede the commercial launch of the Louis Vuitton and Nike “Air Force 1” by Virgil Abloh, which will be available in limited quantities and exclusively through the Louis Vuitton store network, the company said.

Abloh, the founder of luxury streetwear brand Off-White and artistic director of men’s wear at Louis Vuitton, was involved in the early organization of the auction and its surrounding events. “The auction will take place in association with his family,” Vuitton said.

Born in Rockford, Ill., of Ghanaian parents, Abloh is survived by his wife Shannon, his children Lowe and Grey, his sister Edwina, and his parents Nee and Eunice.

Abloh designed 47 pairs of Nike “Air Force 1” sneakers for the spring show, bringing together his two biggest brand partners in an homage to hip-hop culture. Vuitton said it plans to stage an exhibition of all the designs, made in its shoemaking workshop in Italy, with details to be revealed at a later date.

HERO-SHOTS_02.jpg

The Louis Vuitton and Nike “Air Force 1” by Virgil Abloh and pilot case to be auctioned exclusively at Sotheby’s. Courtesy of Louis Vuitton
In the notes for the collection, revealed in a film called “Amen Break,” the brand said the partnership was inspired by the cover of the 1988 album “It Takes Two” by hip-hop duo Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock. It shows E-Z Rock wearing a Nike Air Force 1 basketball trainer altered with a swoosh adorned in the LV monogram.

“The cover embodied the hip-hop community’s early practice of hacking together high fashion and sportswear, sidelining diverging brands with equal reverence. A cultural symbol in its own right, today the Nike Air Force 1 serves as an objet d’art emblematic of self-generated subcultural provenance,” Vuitton said at the time.

To distinguish them from the original Nike Air Force 1, the sneakers were made with materials employed in Abloh’s Louis Vuitton men’s collections, and were styled with quote marks, a signature of Off-White, which has a highly successful collaboration with Nike.

The style in the Sotheby’s auction features the word “Air” written on the sole, and the French word “Lacet” on the laces. From Wednesday, in the lead-up to the auction, select individuals who inspired Abloh and the collaboration will receive pairs in exclusive colorways that will not be commercialized.

Abloh had established a long-term partnership with the Fashion Scholarship Fund to launch his scholarship fund, which was endowed with a personal donation from the designer and matching funds from his partners Evian, Farfetch, Louis Vuitton, New Guards Group and Nike. It supports the education of academically promising students of Black, African American, or African descent.

”As a Black designer, I found my way through school, and a mixture of creative projects, and I had to make a name for myself. That took a lot of years and a lot of meetings and a lot of runway shows and a lot of work, and I wanted to make that door open for a younger generation to sort of have a pathway that stays open,” Abloh told WWD at the time.

“I was a student on a campus that was largely not as diverse as the world is. And it’s important to set up this foundation specifically for Black students who may feel like in the industry of fashion, they don’t see many people that they can identify with,” he added.

Abloh said he named the fund “Post Modern” because recipients would also have access to career support services and mentoring.

wwd.com

Just heard:

JW Anderson to take over LV Men's

Have yet to read anything about it in print yet.

If that’s true, color me surprised. LV pays more than Loewe I guess lol. I prefer him to most of the other names being bandied about, though. Twitter/social media backlash in 3…2….1….

Last edited:
If that’s true, color me surprised. LV pays more than Loewe I guess lol. I prefer him to most of the other names being bandied about, though. Twitter/social media backlash in 3…2….1….

Let's see. I heard it as a fairly confident declaration from a seemingly trustworthy source but I won't believe until I see it in a headline from WWD or BOF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brier Bunny
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->