Virgil Abloh - Designer

huh, Deuxmoi also had a blind item saying this. they tend to be wrong with their fashion stuff, but if you heard something similar...

I'm sure he'll do fantastic things at LV but I'll miss his Loewe! their execs must be breaking out in cold sweat right now

huh, Deuxmoi also had a blind item saying this. they tend to be wrong with their fashion stuff, but if you heard something similar...

I'm sure he'll do fantastic things at LV but I'll miss his Loewe! their execs must be breaking out in cold sweat right now

I'm not totally sure this means he would stop doing Loewe. I assumed he'd be double teaming it like Kim with Fendi and Dior. Though I suppose he'd be triple teaming it with his own label.

It is very sad the situation with Haider, I feel sorry that a talented creator of menswear (who set the tone for several brands today) has even taken down his website, I hope he returns soon, and if it is to LV, a lot better, he deserves it.

Well, they're both LVMH, who also have a stake in his namesake brand. Still, is he really the maestro that can keep all of this running?

I'm not totally sure this means he would stop doing Loewe. I assumed he'd be double teaming it like Kim with Fendi and Dior. Though I suppose he'd be triple teaming it with his own label.

would that be the first time a creative director would helm 3 labels at the same time? sounds like a tall order to me

In theory JW would be an interesting proposition at Vuitton and really the opposite of what Virgil was doing in terms of an aesthetic. Creatively it's what is needed. In terms of commercial value though it seems like a step backwards for Vuitton.

Besides, Anderson's menswear collections are quite weak to be honest. He has some good ideas here and there, but overall it is quite forgettable. His aesthetic has been spread thin over the two brands that he artistically directs. He has enough creativity for maybe two menswear shows a year and two womenswear, nothing more. If he had to do even more, I doubt it would be any good.

Virgil's collections were perfect for LV because they were all hype and that's exactly what the brand is. It's all about the hype-beasts these days at LV, let's be honest. They want to sell a billion sneakers that were made as a part of a CoLLAb and millions of hypebeast-y bags. That's it. Everything else I superfluous to them.

In my opinion, the smartest idea from a business perspective for who to replace Virgil for the time being would be.... lots of people. Any single person tasked with the job is going to be subject to unfair scrutiny and comparison that would have little to do with the actual quality of their work. Instead, get an anonymous group to keep things together behind-the-scenes and bring in guest creative directors to oversee a collection. A never ending collab of LV x whomever. If a season flops, no bother because you've got, in the public's eye, a fresh start just a few months down the road and a whole new opportunity to build hype. This method would ensure that everything feels limited and exclusive, and it would remove the risk involved in handing over the reigns to someone who would create buzz but who might have other commitments and/or not be ready to be entrusted with the brand long term. In the process, you can see who works well with the team, who sells well, etc. You can also please a wider range of consumers, people drawn to Telfar, or Ackermann, or Jonathan Anderson, or James Jebbia, etc. I dunno, I'm spitballing and I'm not sure that would set a good precedent, but given LV's goals, I feel it's a move that would be kind of... of the moment. And just good business, short-term.

I hope that Jonathan will not take over LV, he is already doing an amazing job at Loewe l, and taking this job only spreads himself too thin. We saw that with Kim Jones who is being mediocre at two houses. Not everyone can be Karl Lagerfeld.

In an ideal world, Haider would be a perfect candidate for this position. But I wonder if bridges were burned after the Berluti stint.
Even KVA is a good candidate, he knows how to balance the street with fashion.
Since they already renewed his contract, why not give Nicolas full control of the house?

Frankly, it's time for LV men to stop being so Hypebeast all the time. They should let Delphine has full control of LV. She can do some serious overhauls for the men's department. It's embarrassing that the women's side is giving us fashion-forward every season while the men's side is badly constructed clothes with gimmicky accessories for Hypebeast.

I hope this is just a distraction to keep the real news from being leaked.

If true, it would mean that LVMH wants a proven, bankable creative leader.

Under JW, Loewe has become one of their biggest growth drivers and success stories. Between that and his hugely successful collections for UNIQLO, he has a proven commercial saviness.

On top of that, Anderson knows how to create a conversation around a brand through genuine creativity and original and unique collaborations and not rely as heavily on celebrity cache. Aesthetically, I could easily see his LV sitting nicely with Ghesquire's in stores.

It would also mean LVMH is turning away from the streetwear craze. Although I'm sure he would still design plenty of casual offerings, it wouldn't be so firmly fixed in that rather specific world/market. Maybe they feel it's already too saturated and want to pursue a different direction or maybe their trend analysts have told them it's time to move on (God, I hope so).

Like many of you, I'm not so keen on him taking it on along with Loewe. I'm sure it would be fine (more than most designers, JW knows how to hire great talent and delegate). But, it's just more JW than I really care for. You can have too much of a good thing.

It would also be nice to see him focus on menswear as that is where he started. And I imagine it wouldn't hurt his namesake label as I feel like it's been a bit overshadowed by his efforts at Loewe (that may even be the reason for the switch).

Last edited by a moderator:
From 1992 till 1997 Lagerfeld was creative director of his namesake label (which wasn’t bad at all back then), Fendi, Chanel and Chloé.

I think JW would be stretched too thin if he took LV on top of Loewe, as it is now I feel his namesake has faltered since the pandemic.

I hope that Jonathan will not take over LV, he is already doing an amazing job at Loewe l, and taking this job only spreads himself too thin. We saw that with Kim Jones who is being mediocre at two houses. Not everyone can be Karl Lagerfeld.

In an ideal world, Haider would be a perfect candidate for this position. But I wonder if bridges were burned after the Berluti stint.
Even KVA is a good candidate, he knows how to balance the street with fashion.
Since they already renewed his contract, why not give Nicolas full control of the house?

Frankly, it's time for LV men to stop being so Hypebeast all the time. They should let Delphine has full control of LV. She can do some serious overhauls for the men's department. It's embarrassing that the women's side is giving us fashion-forward every season while the men's side is badly constructed clothes with gimmicky accessories for Hypebeast.

I hope this is just a distraction to keep the real news from being leaked.

I think Haider can do better than LV Men's.

I believe Lola had the idea of him doing Givenchy. That would be a sure winner

I feel that while J.W.A. could be good for LV Men's, he'd need to find a replacement for Loewe, maybe Marie-Ève Lecavalier (she does exquisite textile and leather work.) Hypebeasts have no choice to accept that high fashion has existed long before Virgil and will continue to exist after him. A slight shift towards the whimsy might do LV some good in homogenising their look.

As for Givenchy, Ackermann would be a treat, especially because Givenchy needs to find a "Ghésquire" or a "Galliano" if they want to become part of the fashion conversation again.

I absolutely do not want to see JWA at LV. I can just imagine the quality of his own work deteriorating (his own brand and Loewe) as he tries to pump out hideous commercial junk for LV.

JWA for LV menswear sounds interesting on paper but quite weird. We know now that Nicolas is signing for 5 more years and I think given the success of both JWA and Loewe, it’s a bit weird to use such a talent or a force for just the menswear.
I’ve been told that Nicolas wanted to do the menswear (I mean it was obvious considering his latest collections and the fact that he dresses men) but it was not approved by the execs…

I think Louis Vuitton has found the right formula with Kim Jones and Virgil. Kim solidified the credibility of the brand in terms of menswear and impulsed sales and Virgil, much like Nicolas in the womenswear brought a certain commercial reality. I don’t think Vuitton is ready to go back to conservative menswear with black suits and camel overcoats. The average consumer who buys Vuitton wants it to be known.

I’m not sure a lot of people bought a lot of Virgil badly cut suits or coats but a striking down jackets, monogram shirts in funky prints and eye-catching bags: YES!

Vuitton needs stars and I don’t feel like there are enough stars in the menswear department. I would have said Daniel Lee…But it would be a waste to have him just do the menswear. The same for Haider, who I think would be better for Givenchy (Daniel Lee would be a good fit too there tbh).
KVA can be great in a sense that he is a professional. He does good things but his work doesn’t generate the same type of interest or the conversations as Virgil’s or Nicolas’s…

Maybe for once, LVMH should take a number 2 instead of a star. And really the over-intellectualism at Louis Vuitton would be odd if JWA takes over.

Maybe for once, LVMH should take a number 2 instead of a star. And really the over-intellectualism at Louis Vuitton would be odd if JWA takes over.

I think we’ve seen enough number 2’s taken with every collection dump by Virgil.

Regardless, it’s still probably going to be a s*** show at menswear LV.

That number two might be Christopher Booth, He was right hand of Hedi after KVA at Dior Homme, then worked with Ghesquiere at Balenciaga on mens and currently Vuitton womens. Stints with Margiela and Yeezy in between according to his LinkedIn.. Not a star hire, but definitely has an interesting mix of influences from his professional history…

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brier Bunny
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->