"Popped" Collars

Popped Collars are only legit if three or more collars (of difference colors) are popped.

I'm just kidding, I think the popped collar fad is fading, and that is for sure a good thing.

One perspective is that a popped collar can draw more attention to the face, which is great for those who have nice facial features. ; ) Also, I think a popped collar works well, in that it allows the wearer to sport a polo without looking too golfer/business party-esque. It's sort of like taking a suit jacket and deconstructing it.

I've only ever seen my European male friends do this. And they will "pop" the collars of everything they have on: the polo, the jacket over the polo, etc. It only looks normal in a club in Europe.

I think it's stereotyping to assume that everyone who pops their collars are doing it to "be cool". Despite the popularity amongst preps (and this is even a stereotype) to pop collars, it can still look good having a collar popped. For example, I think popping your collar looks better with a jacket then to not have it popped; at least when you are younger. Younger people who have their collars raised, in my opinion, look more up-to-date, whereas an unpopped collar is a bit conservative.

Are you asking if people still pop their collars? Because that is, afterall, the purpose of this thread: discussing which way looks better. If so, the answer is yes. Many people pop their collars.

I hate it with polos, it is almost alwaysalwaysalwaysalways done wrong.

Not a polo, but will Kate change your mind?
w8nnzr.jpg

Love her outfit here! The dress shirt peeking out I think is just so chic. Maybe it's just Kate though ^_^

Her overall ensemble isn't bad, but I don't like when shirttails are left untucked...it just looks bad....with the exception of a printed silk shirt, for example (I would never tuck in a delicate silk Cavalli shirt, for example).

This may sound weird...........but........

I like popped collars on women ( it give their look an edginess that I love), but I absolutely HATE it on men. On men I think it just looks cocky and stupid.

The only time a man should have a popped collar is with his jakcet, to protect his neck and face from a cold, brisk wind.

How about in the cases of contrast colouring? I think that collars look really good popped when the underside of the collar is a different colour than the outside.

i wonder if it's like pringles...

'once you pop...you can't stop...'..

:innocent:

I bought a shirt at a store called Urban Behavior. It is just a black polo with writing on the back in old english text. I wore it one day and I was doing something with it and I found out to my suprose there is writing on the underside corner of the collar...

I don't where my collars popped though. I do think it looks liek your trying too hard, and I'm not all that preppy anyways.

OMG this whole thread is
4.gif
... in high school(around 84?) one of my friends, fresh from So. calif. was an avid popper..she also popped others compulsively. i'd be minding my business in my izod-lacoste buttoned nerddom and she'd rearrange my collar into that prepDracu thing ...every single time i wore a polo...aaargggh. i'm vexed just remembering it.. i'd have to wait until we parted ways to flip my collar back.

i've just never been 'kewl' like dat.
& that comic strip...
1.gif
5.gif

I think it can work though it does look somewhat played out. My pet peeve with it though is when people have like.. short necks and they pop their collars. It looks like the shirt's swallowing them :( lol

All the 'preps' at my school pop their collars. It is the ultimate sign of status were I live. You pop your collar and you re probably wealthy and obnoxious... :innocent:

First, I have to say: eww. Not because it's a dumb style, but because everyone's wearing it! A popped collar is so classic, and is a true prep staple. Now that 'prep' is coming back to be 'in,' all of the 'cool' people decide to RUIN IT FOR EVERYONE BY BUTCHERING A CLASSIC STYLE. Period.

This thread is so funny, because all of these people in my school pop their collars and think they're so cool!! It's hilarious!

Post #84 :heart: , I love that first picture! It doesn't even look that much like a popped collar, but more like an innovative design! :wink:

kate moss can pull it off! most just look like theyre trying too hard! (especially the girls/boys @ my school w/ their rainbow of popped collars on their hollister & abercombie polos).

Popped collars are stupid, period. I get it if you're somewhere really cold and trying to protect yourself from wind, but otherwise, there's no point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->