Porter #7 Spring 2015 : Natalia Vodianova by Ryan McGinley

The more closed up the better Natalia looks, and it's totally true for her when it comes to shooting covers. I'm not a fan of hers lately, but that is beautiful.

Here's the cover in a quite bigger size and a preview from their Instagram. :flower:

cover: Facebook/Porter Magazine
preview: instagram/portermagazine

Attachments

• Port15sprNatV.jpg
    Port15sprNatV.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Port15sNV.jpg
    Port15sNV.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 65
I will never understand the fuss over this magazine... truly unexciting month after month, and the covers are usually the only point of interest.

^Oh! I like that first image! first Natalia editorial since her comeback that I actually love :smile:

They've only had 7 so far, and not 1 repeat.

I guess that went over your head. I'm bored aka can we get some diversity?

XUGkAffl.jpg

Porter Magazine Facebook.

Need I say more? :blink: At this rate we'll have another Vogue UK situation.

But I'm sleep. Carry on.

Isn´t this magazine aimed at a specific target? women shopping at their website? if their data says that most of their clients are white women, can we blame them for not showing diversity? I think it´s different with magazines like Vogue... I´d love to see diversity but sometimes you have to pick your battles.

Isn´t this magazine aimed at a specific target? women shopping at their website? if their data says that most of their clients are white women, can we blame them for not showing diversity? I think it´s different with magazines like Vogue... I´d love to see diversity but sometimes you have to pick your battles.

I absolutely agree on this one. It's a very specific demographic that they're attempting to relate to, so in this rare case, it makes sense.

Please, let's not defend non diversity.

PORTER is the game-changing new fashion magazine – powered by NET-A-PORTER.COM – for the stylish, intelligent woman of now.
net-a-porter.com
Natalie Massenet always describes the Net-a-porter e-commerce site as a fashion magazine online — and now she’s actually launching one, as well as a print version later this year aimed at rivaling the likes of Vogue and Harper’s Bazaar.
wwd.com

So you're saying that white women are only interested in seeing other white women? That would be the definition of a narrow mind. If their data shows that affluent stylish women are reading the site and magazine then someone like say Veronica Webb would fit right in on their cover and I doubt any modern "white woman" would find any issue relating to her. Your comment trivializes not only people of color but white women too.

Last edited by a moderator:
but what has real life shown us then? I'm expressing what I see not my idealised wish of people from the US accepting, buying, consuming diversity on their media. If women would like to see diversity as fiercely as many claim then how come Vogue, Elle, Bazaar are still on business and going strong?
I think that people in general want to see a reflection of themselves, white people placing white people in magazine covers, tv shows, movies for other white people to consume. It' terrible sad and narrow minded but it's not less true imo.

with Porter specifically, I think the key factor is white women spending money on their site so they cater to them.

Porter, being a British market is wise enough to know what sells. Yes, it may not be as diverse as it should have been BUT they know it's what the demographic is attracted to. Hell, let's not even start saying that there hasn't been any models of color on their covers because when was the last time Bazaar and Vogue UK made a model of color their cover? Jourdan's cover made a pretty huge buzz since after a very long time of white girls after white girls, she finally broke the status quo.. But look they're now back to white girls.

As for the cover choices, of course they're gonna be the same girls because for a magazine that just started and AIMS to rival the established ones, you need to feature the stars thag SELL. These girls are the exact same girls that Bazaar and Vogue UK have been recycling ever since because the British market buys these women. Porter is not commiting a crime, they're just being strategic.

Sadly it's all about the money, honey. Do you all honestly think that the Editors of Vogue, Bazaar, Elle, and Porter really dislike women of color? I highly doubt. They're just sticking to what they know would be a hit. Nothing personal, just plain business. It's really sad though because I myself would love seeing women of color in the eyes of Porter because their covers deliver and are actually stunning. There's a concept behind it.

Oh let's not forget Christy is half Salvadorian.

yes, but when you look at christy turlington does, woman of color, come to mind? No of course not.

She does look pretty Latin on the porter cover though.. I'm not sure how ethnic you think Latin people are supposed to look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imaanok
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->