Porter #28 Fall 2018 : Lupita Nyong'o by Mario Sorrenti

I don´t like the composition, I wish that both legs were showing... but still, happy to see her on a mag cover :smile: what is she promoting?

I like the colours.

She has got to work with the best PR ever to constantly get covers left and right, even when her next film work, Little Monsters, has yet to announce an official release date. I hope by the time Steve McQueen's Widows comes out, editors would start taking notice of Viola, a black celebrity whose alluring persona is criminally overlooked by the magazine industry, instead of going with the usual names like her again.

It's not that I don't enjoy seeing her transformation in editorials and covers--quite the contrary because her print work rarely disappoints imo--but she's not the only black celebrity worth featuring. Anyway back to the cover, I think the image has the potential to be striking with a proper cropping. The one they published here is a little sloppy.

Beautiful shot! The angle and cropping is perfect, love the red, and she looks much better to me when she's not smiling. It's almost embarrassing to compare this cover to US Harper's Bazaar considering Sorrenti shot both of them. Proof that it's all due to the styling.

She has got to work with the best PR ever to constantly get covers left and right, even when her next film work, Little Monsters, has yet to announce an official release date. I hope by the time Steve McQueen's Widows comes out, editors would start taking notice of Viola, a black celebrity whose alluring persona is criminally overlooked by the magazine industry, instead of going with the usual names like her again.

It's not that I don't enjoy seeing her transformation in editorials and covers--quite the contrary because her print work rarely disappoints imo--but she's not the only black celebrity worth featuring. Anyway back to the cover, I think the image has the potential to be striking with a proper cropping. The one they published here is a little sloppy.

Thank you! At some stage you have to wonder why someone like Angela Bassett, who they've recently shot for The Edit, couldn't get Porter instead. I know Lupita's got a string of connections and endorsements as long as your arm, but my God, she's so overexposed on fashion magazine covers!

I imagine her PR team don’t have to work too hard to place her on covers with the power of Lancôme’s budgets behind her.

Thank you! At some stage you have to wonder why someone like Angela Bassett, who they've recently shot for The Edit, couldn't get Porter instead. I know Lupita's got a string of connections and endorsements as long as your arm, but my God, she's so overexposed on fashion magazine covers!

Angela Bassett is damn incredible :cool: she has such a presence not only on screen, but also in print too. Both Angela and Lupita are highly educated and eloquent women, who have both graduated from Ivy league universities, but I do think Lupita's Oscar win (for a film like 12 Years A Slave no less) is what puts her in front of Angela in terms of selling power, which is not really fair, but a reality. I think Lupita looks beautiful on the cover :wub:; she holds herself so well, which is probably why she's such a favourite with designers and photographers.

I do think Lupita's Oscar win (for a film like 12 Years A Slave no less) is what puts her in front of Angela in terms of selling power, which is not really fair, but a reality.

Not to be a cynic but Lupita's contract with Lancome is what puts her in front of Angela. Those advertising coins matter a lot more than awards and nominations.

Not to be a cynic but Lupita's contract with Lancome is what puts her in front of Angela. Those advertising coins matter a lot more than awards and nominations.

You're probably right, I know little about such things! /naïve

That little leg in the corner is making her look like an amputee. I wish she would have smiled. Oh well, I don't buy Porter anyways. With that being said, I won't be running to the newsstand for this anytime soon.

Love the colors here. Lupita looks gorgeous. However, I'm so tired of her like seriously, her again? Obviously, she is a great talent but being loved by the fashion world and beauty contract get her covers. I wish we celebrate more actors of colors, not only for their talent but to be a platform that promote diversity and their longevity. Especially that Porter and the Edit are now the same team, the Edit's choices are always much more interesting.

Second cover, source @portermagazine Instagram.

38540480_10155880390138031_9133972442912391168_n.jpg

The newsstand cover is definitely far superior than the subscribers, which I find to be one of the most unflattering shots of Lupita I've come across. I was hoping Mario Sorrenti would become a credit to Porter but I am not impressed with this just yet. Yikes!

Hm....
I adore Lupita and the first cover is most definitely a big fat WIN (this woman is a star in front of the camera, whether it's for a movie or a photoshoot), but at the same time I have to echo a few statements before here. We have seen her so many times, even when not promoting anything, so it kind of feels like 'her again'. Even though I always like to see her or read her interviews.

I like her, she's gorgeous and the cover is beautiful, love the colors, but I can't believe she get all these big covers, with just a few movies behind her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmarisMoonlover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->