Porter #7 Spring 2015 : Natalia Vodianova by Ryan McGinley

She does look pretty Latin on the porter cover though.. I'm not sure how ethnic you think Latin people are supposed to look.

i'm 100% latin american, half salvadorean just like christy is, and yes we are extremely diverse in the ways we look but if the issue here is diversity, christy turlington albeit an iconic model does not help the issue at hand. At the end of the day her skin color is indeed white.

She does look pretty Latin on the porter cover though.. I'm not sure how ethnic you think Latin people are supposed to look.

It's not about the race tho. Yes, Christy's Latin but at the end of the day, her color is still white... Heck they can even use an African model but end up using an African that is white. Racial wise, they are diverse yes but not in the manner of color imo

P.S.: "white African" is politically correct. It's not meant as an offense or any sort :-)

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2 new pictures are so refreshing, I love them <3 (sorry I was on the LOVE magazine thread previously, so I need to wash my eyes)

What exactly is Porter's definition of "game-changing"? More like status quo enforcers. This magazine lost me after their first issue.

It'd be interesting to have a visual cross section of the ethnic make-up and more telling the range of skin tones represented amongst the masthead staff and regular contributors at the leading fashion publications.

I'm sure none us would be at all shocked by a systemic under representation of people of color in the publication/journalism/ fashion industry itself.

If racial and skin color diversity was truly a deciding factor in whether a reader supports and buys a magazine, then those people need to speak out and voice those concerns and demand it directly to the publishers. Seriously as readers we need to stop b*tching and moaning, especially in the digital age, where there are more ways than ever to influence and impact the indusrty at a grass roots level.

I had no idea that Christy was half latin but saying that they have a latina on their cover is like giving Aline Weber a cover and saying the same...

Is there a review somewhere?

What exactly is Porter's definition of "game-changing"? More like status quo enforcers. This magazine lost me after their first issue.

It'd be interesting to have a visual cross section of the ethnic make-up and more telling the range of skin tones represented amongst the masthead staff and regular contributors at the leading fashion publications.

I'm sure none us would be at all shocked by a systemic under representation of people of color in the publication/journalism/ fashion industry itself.

If racial and skin color diversity was truly a deciding factor in whether a reader supports and buys a magazine, then those people need to speak out and voice those concerns and demand it directly to the publishers. Seriously as readers we need to stop b*tching and moaning, especially in the digital age, where there are more ways than ever to influence and impact the indusrty at a grass roots level.

I kept nodding in agreement as I read your post (as per usual!). You've highlighted issues pertinent to this discussion. Nobody is voicing their concerns directly to the Porter or it's social media platforms.
And to some extent, the people of colour who form part of their masthead does bear a degree of complicity when it comes to this under-representation of diversity.

Anyway, the very latest shoots are the best for me so far, along with the covershot.

They have only had 7 covers so far. Brazil, US/El Salvador, Russia, US, Australia & Holland I think! And Editor Lucy Yeomans' Bazaar UK was very diverse. At least 3 covers of Beyoncé and Liya Kybede and others, so I'm not worried. Crossing my fingers for Lupita soon! And think Natalia's ed is beyond beautiful.

Voicing opinions whether likes or dislikes is the point of a forum so please keep pushing with the "stop bitching" sentiment.

Furthermore, you can have 7 white people from 7 different countries but that doesn't equal diversity. They're all still white at the end of the day. Race and nationality are two different things.

Lastly, the idea that it's a "business" and they are catering to their audience is stupid. Every business has a core audience but if you're trying to be a "global fashion magazine, rivaling the likes of Vogue and Bazaar" I'd like to know in what world do only white women exist?

Oh wait, don't answer that. :rolleyes:

Like I said initially, Natalia looks fantastic on the cover but this magazine is a bore. Even the composition of almost all the covers are virtually the same.

Most of them have something going on in the mouth area- open lips, finger in the mouth, etc

Regardless, they are all famous models/women, so, no, I don't mind seeing them on the covers and I don't think that featuring a diverse cast of models would change anything.
As long as Porter sticks to models, they will be a fave magazine of mine.
I don't want some celebs/actresses to land over here as well.
I don't need to see Lupita or someone else even on the cover of Porter.

Voicing opinions whether likes or dislikes is the point of a forum so please keep pushing with the "stop bitching" sentiment.

Furthermore, you can have 7 white people from 7 different countries but that doesn't equal diversity. They're all still white at the end of the day. Race and nationality are two different things.

Lastly, the idea that it's a "business" and they are catering to their audience is stupid. Every business has a core audience but if you're trying to be a "global fashion magazine, rivaling the likes of Vogue and Bazaar" I'd like to know in what world do only white women exist?

Oh wait, don't answer that. :rolleyes:

Like I said initially, Natalia looks fantastic on the cover but this magazine is a bore. Even the composition of almost all the covers are virtually the same.

Yes, there is a core audience but do you think these editors are "stupid" enough to risk not doing what sells? There's a reason why all of these 7 covers have been white girls and I highly doubt that its because they dislike models of color.

Should a magazine aim to be a global fashion magazine, you need not focus on color honey. You just need to establish a name and to know what sells. Porter can put whoever they want on their cover and fight whatever advocacy they want to fight (ex: color diversity on covers) but at the end of the day, to be a global fashion magazine it doesnt matter what advocacy youre fighting for, all that matters is the money honey. To be a global magazine you need to have a sense of authority with the name of your magazine and for that to happen, people should believe that you are the trusted brand when it comes to fashion forecasts and trends. How will people believe you - by the quality of the issues you produce as a whole. All I'm saying is that these big magazines (Vogue, Bazaar) didnt get their prestige and authority by who they put on the cover or whi they feature.

Fashion, in the end, is just like every other industry there is. It's a business. To survive you need to sell and earn. As sad as that sounds, it's true.

Also, I think that the "stop b*tching" comment wasn't meant to offend someone and to make it seem like your opinions don't matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
to me this magazine is just as snooze-fest as uk and us vogue

Yes, there is a core audience but do you think these editors are "stupid" enough to risk not doing what sells? There's a reason why all of these 7 covers have been white girls and I highly doubt that its because they dislike models of color.

Should a magazine aim to be a global fashion magazine, you need not focus on color honey. You just need to establish a name and to know what sells. Porter can put whoever they want on their cover and fight whatever advocacy they want to fight (ex: color diversity on covers) but at the end of the day, to be a global fashion magazine it doesnt matter what advocacy youre fighting for, all that matters is the money honey. To be a global magazine you need to have a sense of authority with the name of your magazine and for that to happen, people should believe that you are the trusted brand when it comes to fashion forecasts and trends. How will people believe you - by the quality of the issues you produce as a whole. All I'm saying is that these big magazines (Vogue, Bazaar) didnt get their prestige and authority by who they put on the cover or whi they feature.

Fashion, in the end, is just like every other industry there is. It's a business. To survive you need to sell and earn. As sad as that sounds, it's true.

Also, I think that the "stop b*tching" comment wasn't meant to offend someone and to make it seem like your opinions don't matter.
Of course they can put whoever they want on their cover. That goes without saying. To think that it would be "stupid" for editors to try something new and be uh... lemme think.. creative defeats the entire idea of fashion. An industry that is often times synonymous with evolution, change, forwardness and the like. It's sad that people only believe white is what sells. That age old argument has been a myth forever but that's besides the point.

The point is that this is my opinion. Nothing you present or say will change my mind in thinking this magazine is nothing but a bore and all their covers from their choice in cover girl to composition all look the same. :smile:

Prairie Rose
Model: Toni Garrn
Photographer: Norman Jean Roy
Stylist: Cathy Kasterine

glossynewsstand.com

^ Thanks so much for posting, i swear they have the best outdoor editorials, every shot there is beautiful. I still treasure the one with Anja, its breathtaking!

These shots are so enchanting!! It seems the Porter team are mad about nature, there's at least 1 outdoor editorial in every issue. Love it! Hard to believe this is the same guy who gave us that shark mess with Rihanna for Harper's.

Model: Natalia Vodianova
Photographer: Ryan McGinley
Stylist: George Cortina

glossynewsstand.com

The Way We Were
Models: Dree Hemmingway & Miles McMillan
Photographer: Sebastian Faena
Stylist: Julia Von Boehm

glossynewsstand.com

Celebrity: Hilary Swank
Photographer: Driu & Thiago
Stylist: Lawren Howell