Prada Skirt Roadshow in Shanghai

dhclam said:
Noveau riche? Shanghai? yeah rite, whatever... there's a long way to go, babe!
I was invited to the opening of the Prada exhibition, and I must say people who did go to the Tokyo one b4 must have been disappointed by the China one, but for someone who didn't have a chance to witness the power of Prada skirt shown in different media, it's worth seeing then. Prada has always been off-beat and challenging. She puts tremendous effort on making skirt. One needs to have the acquired taste to admire Prada. Maria Luisa did say lotsa good things about Mme Prada, and she did mean it.

However that was my first time to go to Shanghai, and I was not impressed, this is a place where's been most over-rated, and doesn't live up to it's "international hip name" reputation. No, not now.

No, I don't think Shanghai measures up to all those hype either, despite the fact that I haven't been back for two years and it seems like lots of things have happened there recently and it's also a very fast-changing city. But again, if someone is disappointed by the reality unmatching the hype, blame the media and your own willingness to be misled by them please. To be honest, I never care much about what I read about China or Shanghai from most European and American media. Several months ago I bought an issue of Wallpaper which had a cover story about China and Shanghai. I was very disapponited by the reading. Too much tendentious, too much hype, too many judgements and too many senseless predictions.

If you want to see another city like Paris or New York, or maybe an oriental megapolis matching all those exotic imaginations in every details, don't go to Shanghai, you will inevitably be disappointed. But if you want to discover somewhat different human existence and activities in a different social and cultural context, if you want to understand a nation and a city in the middle of drastic social and economic changes, and fumble around trying to establish a new identity, sometimes awkwardly and sometimes even not-so-beautifully but always determinedly, under the tremendously heavy burden of historical and cultural heritage, please go there, you won't be disappointed.

BTW, where's Palais Royale? A Palace somewhere in Europe or Middle-east? Sounds like a perfect residence for people who try to talk in a seasoned and sophisticated tone.

haoshcn said:
BTW, where's Palais Royale? A Palace somewhere in Europe or Middle-east? Sounds like a perfect residence for people who try to talk in a seasoned and sophisticated tone.

I withdraw this comment. It's kind of mean I think. I apologize if it offended anyone.

Originally Posted by haoshcn

not to be a fire starter but i quite like that remark....he sounded like a arrogant twat!

:heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkim991905
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->