Preps

kween

Reaction score
Long Post!

Preps. I like them. This is not the same thread as the other one about preppy styles. I searched twice and didn't come up with anything except for the other prep one that will be very different. This is a thread about a way of life. A life style. This is how sayler defined prep on Urban Dictionary:
A true preppy is someone who:
Wears, but is not limited to, Polo Ralph Lauren, Lilly Pulitzer, Abercrombie, Brooks Brothers, Lacoste, LL Bean (ie duck boots), ribbon belts, prints (ie cords with embroidered whales, palm trees, etc), sweaters tied around the neck, collar always popped, looks neat and put together. Hair ribbons or ribbon headbands, pearls, and other classic jewelry pull the look together. Preppies are partial to monogrammed and engraved items (ie tote bags, oxford shirts, jewelry, money clips, etc). Colors are always bright (favorites include pink and lime green) also sometimes pastel. Preppies may not always match EXACTLY but they are always coordinated. Hats are worn (ie Polo player, Lacoste, Brooks Brothers), but they are unique- not designs you would see in the mainstream and the "mall".
Preppies often attend prep schools (ie Middlesex School, Governor Dummer Academy, and Belmont Hill) followed by New England private colleges.
They are confident and unafraid to express their own styles and be daring in their fashions. Preppies vacation on Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Delray Beach, and on the coast of Maine. These vacation locales are places their families have been going to for years, and have histories there.
It is a common misconception that preppies are snobs. Many people view them as unapproachable, and as a result mislabel them.They buy into classics rather than trends, and don't change their lifestyles with fads.
Preppies tend to have bizarre connections with other preppies they meet, always finding mutual friends/ family and people that run in the same circle.

Preppies don't:
* Wear tight, skin exposing clothing (ie fitted Abercrombie sexual tshirts with tight flared jeans)
* Limit themselves to mall shopping and chain stores. They gravitate towards long-established classic stores and boutiques unique to quaint New England towns.
* Wear heavy makeup and endless hair products. The phrase "less is more" is a preppy creed.
* Glue purses to their arms, especially when going to school. Lip gloss and if need be, a wallet, are thrown into tote bags along with books.
Preppies are not as rich as people may think they are, but they are often well off.

Also, this person on http://library.thinkquest.org/04oct/00121/index.htm described it in an interesting way:

Preppy fashion is not only a fashion but a "lifestyle" according to major preps. Preps where clothing brands such as Lacoste, Lily Pulitzer, Raulph lauren etc. "True preps" have most likely grown up in a rich community and go to prep schools. Although preppy fashion has made a "comeback" now, true preps never change their style.
And this is how Kara McConachie described a prep:
Preps are snoby b*tches that can go f*ck themselves. I have to say that because they are. They only care about themselves and talk sh*t about there own best friends. Their the ones that will be nice to your face and then talk sh*t about you behind your back. They think their all that and that everybody loves them and wants to be them. But thats not the case. I think its safe to say that nobody likes preps and people would never want to lower them selves that low. They think that what they wear is "cool" but really its gross. they wear the pants that are to small and then they have this discusting roll of fat hanging from the sides.
" Like, omg! that gurl z wearing, like, the most hidious outfit, he he."

Sorry for the swearing and bad grammar and spelling, but it's the way it is. I really like and respect sayler's and the 2nd person's definition of prep. I feel that that is a just analogy of prep. Prep is a way of life. Preps are very polite, well mannered people who grow up and go to balls and museums and galleries. They are not sluts and whores, as everyone thinks. They love to look clean and proper. They are very neat, put together. Nice smiles, sweet attitude. Always ready for a social or intellectual challenge. Homework always done, bed always made. Success is a part of a prep's life. It's actually pretty hard work. That, and everyone thinking that you're snobby when you're not. Misconceptions happen to everyone, mostly preps though.
[FONT=&quot]I myself am a prep, although I do not wear all of the above labels listed in sayler’s paragraph. I am very pleased that nobody calls me a snobby b*tch, although I have gotten a few comments about coming across as a stuck up before, for some reason. I was very disgusted with Kara McConachie’s description of the topic. Preps are not girls who follow every trend ever created, they are classic. Most of them don’t talk behind their friend’s backs, they are sweet to everybody. And it’s not safe to assume that the whole world hates ‘preps’ as that was only his/her opinion. Here's a few examples on the style:

img02423lc.jpg
img02446yl.jpg

Hope that isn't alot for you guys. Pics from my personal hard drive, except for the first two, credited to
[/FONT]http://library.thinkquest.org/04oct/00121/index.htm.
Cintia Dicker, Ashley Olsen, Sienna Miller, Olsen twins, Hilary Duff, Kate Moss, Lindsay Lohan, Sienna Miller and Ashley Olsen wearing mostly or all preppy styles.
Now, I want to know what you guys think about this style. I really hope I changed people's minds on the popular misconception of preps. :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
When I Think Prep I Think Wealthy Boading School Girls.
And Pearls & Blazers.

I Think The Whole Look Is Cute, And I Agree With Your Whole Definition Thing.

I myself am a prep, although I do not wear all of the above labels listed in sayler’s paragraph.

:rolleyes: True style doesn't need labels to feel better or to get accepted. It's time people get to look further than that 'horse'. At my school (yes, prep is so highschool) prep was something for girls who hadn't found their own style yet... it's an easy style, too much based by labels/logoish and indeed mostly they aren't even rich. Too bad they can't get the silk RL shirt WITHOUT the label:innocent:.

Most of them don’t talk behind their friend’s backs, they are sweet to everybody.

:huh:

^I completely agree, iSpot. Thank you for summing up my whole post for me. Style is so much more than a label on your back. It's a lifestyle, more like. When I go shopping, I don't only walk into a store just because it's a popular label, but sometimes that's the case. That's the case only because it's a quality store. Like Ralph Lauren, top quality. I don't buy a shirt just because it has a horsie on the chest, I buy it because it will last me a long time. It's classic. When are all those 'trendy urban stores' going to go out of style? Soon. When is Ralph Lauren going to go out of style? Never. Classic is always in style, it can never go wrong.

Exactly. And I like the preppy look to an extent because it is more polished and I don't look like as much of a slob.

i love preppy but sometimes i just wanna mix it up in something short pink and sparkly!

preppy style is fun. its also nice to add some casualness, some spunk and some feminity.
there. perfect combo.

"Preppies don't:
* Wear tight, skin exposing clothing"

i don't mean to attack you, but the first two tshirts in your picture examples look fairly tight to me. they are so tight they are stretched and bunching up.

(if this is a joke thread please disregard.)

Erzébeth II said:
"Preppies don't:
* Wear tight, skin exposing clothing"

i don't mean to attack you, but the first two tshirts in your picture examples look fairly tight to me. they are so tight they are stretched and bunching up.

(if this is a joke thread please disregard.)
Notice how the girl in the picture is:
(1)only a broad example of the style
(2)quite obviously wearing ABERCROMBIE, which is quite widely know for not being preppy at all. Real preps 'look down,' if you may, on sellouts like these.

Most of those pictures don't look very preppy to me, maybe the layered polo girl...:huh: Besides that I don't really understand the post, there's rules listed, labels listed, but in consequent post you've stipulated that preppies have no rules and are non-conformists. Like no tight clothing, cintia's jeans are glued to her legs, the first girls shirts are pasted onto her torso, everyone except the first girl has a purse. And the trends! Shorts with heels, big chunky jewelry, cropped sweater thing, UGGs, ripped jeans are preppy? :huh: Those people are just trendy celebs, this is preppy:

Preppy.jpg

(jewelryworld.com)
preppy.jpg

(hawaiisportsmodels.com)
inside2-preppy.jpg

(usatoday.com)

(scf.usc.edu)

Attachments

• zbt_resized.jpg
    zbt_resized.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
I like preppy as in Carolyn Bessette Kennedy/classic preppy, but preppy seems to mean pastels & pearls & miniskirts & wide smile these days. That picture above isn't something I'd call classic preppy.

Please remember the following and thanks for contributing :flower:

1) Credit all pictures with a valid source. Please note that 'from another thread', 'my HD', 'Google.com', etc. are not valid sources. We need the original credit. All pictures without a valid credit will be removed.

2) Oversized pictures must be resized or posted as an attachment. Oversized pictures throw off the formatting of the page and make it difficult to read.

kisa said:
Most of those pictures don't look very preppy to me, maybe the layered polo girl...:huh: Besides that I don't really understand the post, there's rules listed, labels listed, but in consequent post you've stipulated that preppies have no rules and are non-conformists. Like no tight clothing, cintia's jeans are glued to her legs, the first girls shirts are pasted onto her torso, everyone except the first girl has a purse. And the trends! Shorts with heels, big chunky jewelry, cropped sweater thing, UGGs, ripped jeans are preppy? :huh: Those people are just trendy celebs, this is preppy:

(scf.usc.edu)
Oh, gimme a break. You know perfectly well what im talking about. It's like with tomboys, theres an unwritten rule that they 'have to' wear dark, baggy clothing and always have a sporting transportation equipment on hand. Just because a girl has her hair up or is wearing pink socks, does that mean she's 'disqualified.' No, it just means that she's adding something of her own to the way she dresses. And another thing, most of those pictures were classic and comfortable, UGGs are comfortable. I'm preppy, and I adore my UGGs. Does that mean I'm not preppy anymore? No, it just means that I'm 'taking a break,' if you will. What's wrong with being comfortable and classic, like Sienna was dressed? Is it my fault that UGGs have been around in Australia for ever, and, much to the amusement of the Australians, have only become cool recently? I don't think so. Nuff said. Sorry, that wasn't a preppy statement. Have a nice day, guys.
(Just because you're preppy, doesn't mean you have to completely change your attitude, beliefs and everything just to fit the lifestyle.)

Though the definition of prep makes me think of Polo and Lacoste, pearls and ribbons, my school's definition is a whole lot different. We consider any of the people who play alot of sports, are cheerleader, and wear way too much Abercrombie 'preps'. On that note, though, the majority of them do wear polos and pearls and madras.

I do not view Abercrombie as preppy, I view it as 'mall preppy'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnyboy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->