Preps

Cintia Dicker, Ashley Olsen, Sienna Miller, Olsen twins, Hilary Duff, Kate Moss, Lindsay Lohan, Sienna Miller and Ashley Olsen wearing mostly or all preppy styles.

:blink: since when?

preppy style according to me: (which i hate btw:doh: )

normal_306-2.jpg

normal_305-1.jpg

[http://taylorfan.myocboards.com/]<----pics from

the-totally-terrible-tyrannical-taylor-townsend_500x281.jpg

[www.ocfiles.com]

Yes, that is preppy too, but there's different kinds of preppy. She's more of a very traditional styled preppy, but you don't have to wear pastel sweaters all the time. I don't even own a cable knit pastel sweater, only if you count white as pastel... Anything classic, is preppy.

Prep is a way of life. Preps are very polite, well mannered people who grow up and go to balls and museums and galleries. They are not sluts and whores, as everyone thinks. They love to look clean and proper. They are very neat, put together. Nice smiles, sweet attitude. Always ready for a social or intellectual challenge. Homework always done, bed always made. Success is a part of a prep's life. It's actually pretty hard work.

Stuff I thought I'd highlight that apply to me.

Okay, it's funny because my opinion might be totally wrong - I'm from Australia, and 'prep' really isn't part of our labels list. Although I hate labelling people, there' goths, emos, punks, skanks, clowns, the list goes on. But I've never heard anyone call someone else a prep down here.

First thing's first: I go to a private school. That means uniforms. So, I only see my friends dressed casually when we go out, or on "mufti" days - about 3 times a year when we're allowed to wear anything.

Snobby, full-of-themselves, "popular" (although they really aren't, the only people that like them are those like them) girls - the misconception of preps - down here are draped in mini skirts from Supre and boobtubes from Ice. These shops are always filled with bad quality, "trendy" clothing, often imitating designs from more expensive but not designer-oriented stores like Sportsgirl. Said girls are always plastered with foundation and eyeliner, their hair either hair-sprayed into towered fringes (er, bangs) clipped back, or shaggily cut/layered. Oh, side fringes are also popular.

Clean-cut, neat looks are seen... but pretty rare. My personal group of friends enjoy polo shirts teamed with taylored jeans, jackets or blazers, the odd skirt here and there. Comfortable but nice-looking shoes are a must. Think flats, or sneakers so white they always look brand new.

Can't say anything about Abercrombie 'cause I've never seen it down here before. No one I know has anything from A&F, anyway. Polo Ralph Lauren shirts are always good, found mostly in Myer and David Jones.

Speaking of labels, yes, designers are in 'prep' wardrobes, but that doesn't mean they go into shops and are automatically self-conciously dragged to a designer store. They're just part of the wardrobe. Designer labels have clothes that are good quality. That, I think, is what being a prep is all about. Good quality clothing with seams that won't break after one wash.

End - now that I look back and read it - pretty pointless rant. Interesting thread though :flower:.

serenade said:
Snobby, full-of-themselves, "popular" (although they really aren't, the only people that like them are those like them) girls - the misconception of preps - down here are draped in mini skirts from Supre and boobtubes from Ice. These shops are always filled with bad quality, "trendy" clothing, often imitating designs from more expensive but not designer-oriented stores like Sportsgirl. Said girls are always plastered with foundation and eyeliner, their hair either hair-sprayed into towered fringes (er, bangs) clipped back, or shaggily cut/layered. Oh, side fringes are also popular.
^agree with the Supre. God. What happened to the time when you can afford it for $10. They exploded overnight and decided to inflate their prices 400%!!

Also from Australia, private school too! I've yet to really understand the concept of prep (do you consider Mean Girls? :P) but I agree-
so call popular cliques:
girls- minis, thongs
guys- jeans + loose tee

oh, and lets not forget the ubiquitous surf labels ie billabong, quiksilver (guys), roxy (girls)

The black lower lid eyeliner, extreme black mascara, the coifs, and the "face frames" (i prefer the name "sl*t strands")- the intentionally pulled out lock of hair on either side of the face.

"^agree with the Supre. God. What happened to the time when you can afford it for $10. They exploded overnight and decided to inflate their prices 400%!!"

I know, they're charging about $60 for the crappiest quality tops nowadays :P

THANK YOU, SERENADE. Finally, someone who understands. I am the kind of person that gets scared and uncomfortable when someone doesn't agree with me and i have to explain myself. You clearly and effectively summarized my whole thread, in just a few paragraphs. Thanks.
Anyway, yeah, that's exactly what I meant to say. I mean, Abercrombie is actually not that bad. I wouldn't personally run in and grab the loudest looking ABERCROMBIE AND FITCH shirt i saw, God forbid. Instead, I'd carefully browse for some understated, casual pieces that actually are good quality, just are a little too trendy with the labels. A few weeks back, I got plaid bermudas in a bluish undertone that were great price and great make, and didn't look A&F at all. My point is, while there are so brands preps tend to stick to like Polo and Lacoste and LLBean, etc, there are some hidden gems in the trendier, sellout stores. It's not only the label prep stores that can carry classics. I think it was on preppyjournal.com, that i read that 'prep, classic is coming back.' The writer said that they found a very classic piece, one that i fail to remember, at the Hallmark store, out of all places! So, go out there and scout. Don't only shop at the tried and true, althogh those are always great. Look for something new, spread your horizons. You never know what you might find, even if you did come to shop for a birthday card.

I would definitely consider "The Plastics" to be preps to some extent.....but they are a more evolved version.:lol:

If I might add, I think male preps tend to like Timberland sailing shoes... and I personally just find preppy guys to be the total revelation of pure lust... mine at least, heh. There's just something about the proper and clean look that just makes me wanna get all dirty, lol.

The plastics are NOT preps at all. All they do is follow trends and what's hot and everything. The makeup, the attitude... no.
Street_a_Licious - I will completely ignore the fact that it says you're an 'homme,' and agree with your statement. lol

I like the preppy look on certain people.

When I think of "preppy", I think of a girl who is nicely and conservatively dressed, cable knit sweaters, pearls, headbands, khakis, button down shirts, very nice jeans (not very tight or flared - like a bootcut). Think of JCrew. Actually, when I think of a preppy person, I think of Selma Blair's character in Legally Blonde. "East coast boarding school student" :P

I think it's odd how so many people equate preppy to girls who wear head-to-toe Abercrombie, dress provacatively, bleach blonde hair, denim minis. That's not preppy at all, in my opinion.

@kween: I know, right? lol

Besides, don't ignore it. Face it. There's guys around horny for other guys (in my case, tall, short haired school athletes in a polo shirt/oxford button down, slacks and sailing shoes).... my personal epitome of hot college boy and pretty much a big reason why I wanna attend an Ivy League college (I know, I'm so shallow!) LoL.

:wink:

I definitely think that to some degree............Gretchen (Mean Girls) was some what prep.

2004_mean_girls_008.jpg

images.allmoviephoto.com

Bambam said:
I like the preppy look on certain people.

When I think of "preppy", I think of a girl who is nicely and conservatively dressed, cable knit sweaters, pearls, headbands, khakis, button down shirts, very nice jeans (not very tight or flared - like a bootcut). Think of JCrew. Actually, when I think of a preppy person, I think of Selma Blair's character in Legally Blonde. "East coast boarding school student" :P

I think it's odd how so many people equate preppy to girls who wear head-to-toe Abercrombie, dress provacatively, bleach blonde hair, denim minis. That's not preppy at all, in my opinion.

Oh I totally agree!!

You're a funny one, Street_A_Licious. I've never seen any pictures of a preppy guy. I can't picture one.

IMO:

Preppy = neat.
That's all. Neat. Not rich, not head-to-toe designer, not skanky. Just neat.
And not try-hardish, of course.

Some male preps:

From JCREW.com. I mean, really pretty much anything in JCream is pretty preppy.

land2.jpg

Heheh, sweet_a_liscious is hilarious! Me like him! Yeah, Gretchen did dress quite preppy in that movie, but her knowledge of family members set her WAY apart from the real preps. That's what i think

Do you wanna say that she's not a real prep? Are preps supposed to be, like, distant from family and stuff, only caring about themselves? Cause, in a way, it wouldn't fit with the other image of preps, the one of them being nice, kind and listening...

Then again, one shouldn't set their minds on one stereotype (even though everyone's a bit rascist... and it's true!)

Talkin' about the O.C.:..... I thought the Dean was pretty hot... older, yes,but sizzle, sizzle, sizzle!

*SIZZLE*

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm totally torn on my "type".

I too like preppy guys, but then I also go for the bad boys with tattoos and the punk/rocker/scene image.

110_sp03_ar_lg_05.jpg

polo.com

00360m.jpg

men.style.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnyboy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"