Preps

Street_a_Licious said:
Do you wanna say that she's not a real prep? Are preps supposed to be, like, distant from family and stuff, only caring about themselves? Cause, in a way, it wouldn't fit with the other image of preps, the one of them being nice, kind and listening...

Then again, one shouldn't set their minds on one stereotype (even though everyone's a bit rascist... and it's true!)

Talkin' about the O.C.:..... I thought the Dean was pretty hot... older, yes,but sizzle, sizzle, sizzle!

*SIZZLE*
Uhh, yeah. That's not what I was saying at all. And, if you were nicer, or at least watched the movie, you would know what i was talking about, because I would explain it.
Love those pics, men have very little to choose from in style, though. All they have is shorts/pants and shirts/sweaters. It's nice to see some men mixing it up and making it interesting.

kween said:
Uhh, yeah. That's not what I was saying at all. And, if you were nicer, or at least watched the movie, you would know what i was talking about, because I would explain it.
Love those pics, men have very little to choose from in style, though. All they have is shorts/pants and shirts/sweaters. It's nice to see some men mixing it up and making it interesting.

I know it's hard for men to be very expressive in fashion, especially when you hold a full time professional job in an conservative environment.:cry:

Smarter_Preppy.jpg

http://www.cft.or.kr

I love the preppy style! It's so AMERICAN. I know it is popular in other countries too, but to me the typical preppy sportswear look says "All American" to me, because it seems to exemplify the American ideal, the Kennedys!

Clean. Polished. Conservative.

At times even FUNNY because it is easy to make a joke out of it. Just watch Trading Places or Caddy Shack!

I think to really love something you should be able to laugh at it.
preppy-25661.jpg

Just look at these clowns.

So clip on mumsy's pearls, button your cardigan, and practice your Katherine Hepburn accent while Chip, Bip, Kip, and Skip finish up their squash game. It'll be rreeelly top drawer!

Last edited by a moderator:
heathers-cast.gif

vamp.org

The bigger the shoulders, the more powerful you look.

The prep has gotten a bad reputation because bad publicity is more fun than good, and it is a fun juxtaposition to have someone who looks so nice, being so mean. So it's more interesting to hear about the upstanding, clean-cut preppy kids who do bad things, than it is to hear about the clean good kids. That's why it's more fun to have evil, naughty preps in movies and TV.

And someone who is rich, with lots of advantages, who looks good and behaves well and socializes well...they're just sitting ducks for insults. You wouldn't kick someone who was already down, but preps seem to have it all so no one feels bad about ripping on them.

Preppy style isn't just for teenagers.

It can simply be classic and ladylike.

Less is definitely more. Loyalty to quality brands is one way of being label conscious, but it's out of tradition, not a slave to trendiness. Of course that doesn't mean there isn't a status element to it, you just don't want to show off.

Preppy is usually casual, easy, and significant of a life of leisure. These are clothes that you wear to play tennis, to golf, to go sailing, to go to lawn parties in. When they do dress up the clothes are typically structured and understated, with simple lines. Again, nothing too showy.

When you wear expensive clothes that don't demand attention, you are sending the message that you have the confidence and finances to live richly without caring who knows it. (When really it's all a reverse psychology method of letting everyone know it.)

ep87_charlotte_pinkjacket.jpg

119781676.jpg

ep56_char_denimjacket_pinks.jpg

hbo.com

Roxy - great pictures.

Not only that, but you chose my favorite SATC character (Charlotte) and two of my favorite movies (Clueless and Heathers)

And those guys.............SO PREP.

Roxy Bungalow said:
I also love Clueless and Heathers. I love just about any movie about shallow teenage girls.

Me too!!

Like Mean Girls.

And I just noticed your avatar is Magenta.

You have great taste in movies.

wctr48.jpg

http://www.wilson-brothers.com

The following are from Brooksbrothers.com

Does anybody really dress like this?

women-outfit-433-lg.jpg
119U.jpg

men-outfit-427-lg.jpg
330M_th.jpg

You know, going preppy takes some finesse. It's not as easy as it looks.
If you're not careful you can look like a real tool...or worse, like the hired staff of a cruise liner. And you NEVER want be mistaken for *shudder* the help.

Start them young. At their baptism assign them a Godparent AND a Wardrobe Parent, who will give them appropriate gifts like their first pair of deck shoes, or a tiny crested blazer. Don't rush them into everything. Save the crushing pressure to get into an Ivy League school until, at the latest, their 8th birthday.
boys-outfit-443.jpg
main356.jpg
Junior Executives?

Fear not the madras nor the seersucker, and thou shalt drape thy cashmere about thine shoulders.

Ianastar said:
Me too!!

Like Mean Girls.

And I just noticed your avatar is Magenta.

You have great taste in movies.

Thank you! I have Mean Girls and Heathers and I love to watch them. Hmm, I just realized that I only have teen girl movies where the shallow high school girls either die or get their lives/spines all screwed up. :(

kween said:
Oh, gimme a break. You know perfectly well what im talking about. It's like with tomboys, theres an unwritten rule that they 'have to' wear dark, baggy clothing and always have a sporting transportation equipment on hand. Just because a girl has her hair up or is wearing pink socks, does that mean she's 'disqualified.' No, it just means that she's adding something of her own to the way she dresses. And another thing, most of those pictures were classic and comfortable, UGGs are comfortable. I'm preppy, and I adore my UGGs. Does that mean I'm not preppy anymore? No, it just means that I'm 'taking a break,' if you will. What's wrong with being comfortable and classic, like Sienna was dressed? Is it my fault that UGGs have been around in Australia for ever, and, much to the amusement of the Australians, have only become cool recently? I don't think so. Nuff said. Sorry, that wasn't a preppy statement. Have a nice day, guys.
(Just because you're preppy, doesn't mean you have to completely change your attitude, beliefs and everything just to fit the lifestyle.)

You gimmie a break. You took the names of some of the most trendy celebrities and then tried to defend their style as comfortable and classic. Classic and trendy = paradox in my opinion. :rolleyes: The celebs you mentioned never even qualified.

The day when the style of conservative socialites, and stuffy scholars is also the style of trend-setting supermodels and teen drama queens, is the day I jump off the crazy bridge. :lol:

Did i say that Sienna Miller was preppy? If so, I'm jumping off the crazy bridge first. What I was saying is that she just wore a preppy outfit. The picture is gone now, but i remember it as being a black and white striped sweater, jeans and UGGs. As I explained already my relationship with the sheepskin brand, I will explain my views on the outfit. What she chose to wear that morning was simply simple. There was nothing to it. She wasn't wearing this:
134.jpg

which is so busy and weird that it's overpowering her. Here is another good outfit by her:
45.jpg

All I am trying to say is that I wasn't trying to defend her, she's not preppy at all. She randomly and probably without meaning to wears classic simple clothing, together making the outfit kinda preppy. And, if I came across as rude in my post, I apologise as I feel strongly about this, and only trying to get my point and opinion across. credit: siennastyle.org

When you wear expensive clothes that don't demand attention, you are sending the message that you have the confidence and finances to live richly without caring who knows it. (When really it's all a reverse psychology method of letting everyone know it.)
Wow. A smart person came along and actually put into perfect wording exactly what I have been trying to explain all along. I think this is one of the most valuable lessons my mom ever taught me. I once went to the mall with a non prep friend and got myself an article of clothing that I cannot recall at this time which was quite pricey. When she looked at the price tag, opened her eyes wide and said "How can you buy something so expensive and not have anyone know it? What's the point of having noone know that you are wearing something that costly, when you spent THAT much money on it?" At that moment, I wanted to cry. I know it's mean, but I couldn't believe that anyone could think like that. Like, do you really want to make a huge fool out of yourself and wear a big D&G logo on your shirt? Come on... I explained to her everything, ofcourse, but she still doesn't get it...
So clip on mumsy's pearls, button your cardigan, and practice your Katherine Hepburn accent while Chip, Bip, Kip, and Skip finish up their squash game. It'll be rreeelly top drawer!
Hahhaa. That's so hilarious and so true! I love those 'stereotypes.' They just crack me up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnyboy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->