Press not invited to shows due to previous bad reviews

melt977

PopWillEatItself
Reaction score
Hope that this is posted on the right section. If not, please feel free to remove it.

From fashionweekdaily.com

Missing Heads Report

Milan departures and no-shows

Thursday, September 28, 2006

(MILAN) Even a reported 54.5 million page views and 535,000 unique visitors during New York’s Fashion Week can do little to sway fickle fashion designers. A spokeswoman for Style.com confirmed on Wednesday afternoon that its team covering the shows in Europe—namely Sarah Mower, Tim Blanks, and Nicole Phelps—would not be attending today’s Dolce & Gabbana show.

Apparently, Dolce & Gabbana’s PR team was displeased with Mower's show review from the previous season. No review of D&G’s Spring 2007 show, presented on Monday, was posted on the Condé Net site either.

Speaking of Style.com, its executive fashion director, Candy Pratts Price, abruptly checked out of the Four Seasons Wednesday and flew back to New York after colleagues described her as being “under the weather” and needing some R&R. Price, however, is expected back in time for the Paris shows.

Meanwhile, Cathy Horyn, who was politely uninvited to the Carolina Herrera show in New York, found herself in the same predicament at Dolce & Gabbana. The New York Times fashion critic confirmed at this morning’s Pucci show that she had not been invited, but declined further comment.

Apparently unless you give a rave review you won't be invited to the next show of the label...:ninja:

So does that mean that style.com will no longer have any pics of Dolce and Gabbana shows? :cry: I know that we can see them elsewhere but still...it's so convinient :(

Dolce and Gabbana Fall 2006 Review
MILAN, February 23, 2006 – Stefano Gabbana and Domenico Dolce are advancing into fall with Napoleonic zeal—literally. At the start of their show, a tableau of hussars and Empire beauties rose into view on a revolving plinth, arranged around a ceremonial black monolith emblazoned with the Emperor's laurels. The Napoleonic codebook gave them all the historical ammunition they needed to cut a swath through current themes: the play between masculine and feminine; the baroque flourishes; the rich velvets and antique golds; the swaggering capes and high-collar shirts. Naturally, they also had carte blanche to do things with raised-waist dresses, the Empire line pioneered by Josephine herself.

Military tailcoats, cut in shearling, along with tight knickers and jodhpurs with high riding boots marched out, followed by legions of coats in brown and beige, all detailed with gold buttons or leather straps and brass hardware transplanted from saddlery. These designers have always loved a baby-doll, and this season's are their most sumptuous yet—lovely little puff-sleeve things in eau de nil, emerald, and vibrant red velvet or old-gold brocade. Streaks of silver paint glinted in the gathers of one; others had bands of gold-thread military embroidery circling bosoms; yet another was held up with an imperial-medal chain.

It's fair to point out that none of this is necessarily fresh territory in fashion (John Galliano, for one, has staked it out before). Yet Dolce e Gabbana applied such intense workmanship here that they engraved their own signature on the plot (note the gold crown placed above the D&G initials on bags and T-shirts).

The triumphal mood culminated in a velvet-slippered procession of court ladies straight out of The Coronation of Napoleon in Notre Dame, the 1804 painting by David that hangs in the Louvre. Tucked among the sheer, gem- and pearl-embroidered numbers, there were two extraordinary gowns with skirts made of layered feathers—one painted to look like leopard spots, the other gilded with antique gold. These qualified as top trophies in the Dolce & Gabbana campaign to dominate the red carpet.

– Sarah Mower

It doesn't seem that bad :blink: But now it makes sense why the Men's spring show wasn't on the Style Men's site :ermm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it was this one that bugged them?

D&G Fall 2006 Review
MILAN, February 20, 2006 – There's always someone at Milan's fall shows who feels compelled to lay on a snow scene. This time, it was D&G's Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana. No doubt inspired by the Winter Olympics just up the road in Turin, they whipped together a winter-wonderland forest scene, complete with falling synthetic snow that sprinkled the black-clad shoulders of a none-too-delighted audience.

No surprise, the girls who gamboled out were a troupe of ski bunnies, working head-to-toe knits in white. As a device, this was potentially annoying, especially when a sleigh-load of Santa's helpers arrived to hand out Christmas candy (not that welcome, actually, in February). Still, there was enough believable commercial fashion in the chunky cable-knit ponchos, oversize tam-o-shanters, cowl-neck mini sweater dresses, and pom-pom accessories to almost justify the kitsch of it all.

– Sarah Mower

Oh come on......the fashion press is already boot-licking the big names like Armani and LV. If we don't get an honest press, we won't get good design! I'm most turned off by D&G for this pettiness.

i think it is only to inspire people to check the official site...

Is D&G having financial problems? Banning bad press to prevent further sales loss is an old tactic dating way, way back, no?

sarah mower is anna wintours mouth she distroyed tisci for his S/S 06 line when it was actually sleek and modern. her reviews are based on her personal relationships with the designers and not the collections

Funny, I always enjoyed reading Sarah Mower's reviews due to her refreshing, pragmatic view on fashion. Most of what she is writing makes perfect sense to me, and that Tisci RTW debut at Givenchy, it simply looked painful and hardly wearable with those VERY high waists and tightest of tight waists.

This can't help but remind me of the time (allegedly at least..) Domenico forced Jenny McCarthey to take off her Dolce dress after not recognizing who he was..

I agree.. this is petty.. maybe I could expect it from Domenico, but Carolina Hererra banning Cathy Horyn... thats horrible.

Zazie said:
Oh come on......the fashion press is already boot-licking the big names like Armani and LV. If we don't get an honest press, we won't get good design! I'm most turned off by D&G for this pettiness.

That's what I'm thinking. If you don't get that criticism how are you ever going to improve?

It happened before. Suzy Menkes was banned in a Dior show because she criticized Galliano's previous collection as too agressive.

Press ppl have a hard job:-) You can't just see the show you like:-))

nqth said:
It happened before. Suzy Menkes was banned in a Dior show because she criticized Galliano's previous collection as too agressive.

Press ppl have a hard job:-) You can't just see the show you like:-))
Oh no...I beleive the review she gave to Prada wasn't that great either. Does that mean she might not be there for next season.

That explain why no pictures on both Style.com and Vogue.com. I am stunned by the news. Oh that is so petty. Like we can't tell the good from the bad. Am a bit put off by Dolce & Gabbana now!

Thanx for posting.

:heart:

really :ninja: what's next? Press people signing a contract before they go to a fashion show promising they'll write a positive review :shock:

I wonder what they said to the style.com people :"This year you will be punished for your bad review on last season"? They can't really say that, can they?

so much for all publicity is good publicity!

im kinda glad that dolce isnt on style.com actually, they need to be gotten rid of

I think this is very immature. I understand that noone wants a bad review but this is just very petty. Even the best of designers get bad reviews, every collection is not going to be a home run with every journalist. And if this Mower woman works for Anna, then they should just shut Dolce out of their editorials for a while.

I read about this in wwd yesterday and immediately read the D&G review from last season. And I don't see what the big deal is about the review. It wasn't even harsh. So that just tells you how egotistical they are at Dolce & Gabbana.
What good are reviews if they aren't honest? You can't have the press afraid to disagree with a designer for fear of not being invited to next season's show.
Not only is it petty it's just dumb. Get over yourself.

reese06 said:
I think this is very immature. I understand that noone wants a bad review but this is just very petty. Even the best of designers get bad reviews, every collection is not going to be a home run with every journalist. And if this Mower woman works for Anna, then they should just shut Dolce out of their editorials for a while.

I agree, and the review wasnt even that bad, just a comparison to Galliano and what he has done before. It's interesting they will now ban a HUGE editor of such! I wonder what would happen if they didnt let Anna wintour in...but Sarah Mower is like right under her...bleh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yujiaolong666
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->