Runner Thread (All About Running)

i don't know about that, but i know that very experienced runners can get shin splints from time to time.

i have a friend who does triatlon's for a long time and she gets it too.
she also said to stretch a lot.
i still get them though when i run too often :(

you can also check out youtube for shin splint-stretches :flower:

I get shin splints when I just jump into a fast duration run without stretching, so yes stretching is important before & after a run.

Also, your shoes can be a factor if they're aren't properly worn or are very old & don't support your foot very well.

Today I did run for 30min and only listened this track. seriously, it is just force me to run faster!

SCOTTY- The Black Pearl

youtube

May is Nat'l Runner's Month everyone. Enjoy the benefits of a good cardio & keep those legs working!

I still love my asics running shoes, I think every running shoe I own have been asic...they just fit me so well.

omg me too! i love asics! i just bought my 5th pair last week...the gel-kayanos? think that's what they're called? :huh:haha! i used to use nike shox but they're actually garbage for running. so i made the switch to asics and never looked back. i buy a new pair about every 6-7months. (i run a lotB))

Does anyone here run in windy weather? My team mates use La mer, or Vasaline on their skin to keep it from drying. Vasaline doesn't work on me, and lathering up on La Mer on my entire body makes my jar run out very fast. Do you guys have any other alternatives?

I got a question too. Outside I run 5 kms in or under 30 min. easy, however when I run 5 kms on a treadmill it always takes me about 33 min. even though I usually feel as though I run faster on the treadmill than I do outside. Could anybody explain?
Maybe I just think I run faster than I actually do but it just all seems very odd to me.

or maybe you're running slower on the treadmill? if you're running outdoor on a track, if i'm not mistaken, 4 laps around a track is equal to 1 mile. if you run 12 laps then that is equivalent to about 5km. so check to make sure you are really running what you think you are just to be sure :flower:

BUMP. :innocent:

Went to a running specialty store about a week and a half ago and the manager observed my walk and run style. I was recommended to go with a stability shoe and after trying on 6 different pairs settled on Saucony ProGrid Omni 9. The Asics GT-2150 came in second favorite, but was narrow at the toebox and slightly pinching on the left arch. After starting off slowly (well, not really) I've been running approximately 3.11 miles (5 kilometers) a day since then. My foot pain and blisters have gone away now that I have a proper pair of running shoes.

I didn't think much about it, but when I first was looking at the shoes, the salesperson asked if I was training for anything? I said no, and in hindsight...I'm running a freakin' 5K every morning...I should be training for something! Friends recommended a half marathon next month, but I do not have the stamina for that in one run...yet.

How's everyone else doing? And since there are folks that are Asics addicts (anyone running in the 2150s?), any recommendations for me? I figure I'll want a second pair down the line, probably as the weather gets cooler and wetter. Also, what's on everyone's playlist? I run VERY early in the a.m. and have gotten tired of all of my tunes, except Katy Perry's California Girls :P

^Hello, you! :winkiss:

I never really paid any attention to special shoes. Nike Shox weren't half bad; when I first got them, I ran more than I ever had up until then. I guess pretty soon all my running is going to catch up with me, especially if I keep wearing the "wrong" shoes. I wear Converse otherwise, so I'm destroying my feet :lol:

Count me in!

After a lifetime of declaring that running is torture...always coming in last in highschool running...a lifetime of asthma...and since the power-walking I started two years ago slowly merged into bits of running...now, without even realizing it, I can hardly stand a day without running 4K! To me, this is a miracle.

I can honestly say I LOVE running now. The rush, the liberation, the incredibly feeling of renewal, the time spent in honest dialogue with yourself. I also have 100X more energy than before.

I run outside, and for me it's all about enjoying the music and daydreaming; I guess it's kind of like dancing. Being one with the music, letting its passion propel and energize you. My thing for me is not to use overly fast music, or it will get me going too fast and burn me out early.

By the way, does anyone know of any good quality running shoes that are cute enough to wear when not running?? (I know, horrors.) The thing is, when I travel I tend not to bring my running shoes because they are so bulky and can only be used for that purpose, but I end up totally regretting it, it's great to run in a new place.

I really want to start running again but the weather is awful here and it would mean me running on grass so I would need dry grass. I love my running/walking trainers from Reebok, it's the EasyTone ones. At first I felt the burn but now I get used to it and it's getting better but what do you do when the weather's bad? What do you wear that can be fashionable but warm?!

I really want to start running again but the weather is awful here and it would mean me running on grass so I would need dry grass. I love my running/walking trainers from Reebok, it's the EasyTone ones. At first I felt the burn but now I get used to it and it's getting better but what do you do when the weather's bad? What do you wear that can be fashionable but warm?!

Ugh, tell me about it! I didn't run yesterday because of the rain, was so looking forward to running today only to find it pouring. :( I think I'll venture to go out anyway, to get over my resistance. It could be really fun and exhilirating!

I just wear my Northface windbreaker/parka thing...maybe an extra dry-tech type layer, a baseball cap also helps but I don't have one with me ATM. Stuff newspapers in shoes afterwards...I guess that's it. Stannerslove, if the weather is consistently bad, maybe you could get a special pair of old trainers to run in rain so you don't get your nice shoes wet? If it's anything like here, waiting for the weather to clear could take some time and seriously damage your motivation...:(

Ooh, Easytones have had my interest for a while...do you really feel them work your muscles more? :flower: What color are yours?

I've been thinking on buying a treadmill, it would be a good investment right? My main concern is, if it breaks how much will it cost to fix and how often? hm...:huh: The weather is just appalling, haven't been training at all for about 3 weeks and I have a half marathon to run in October oops!:innocent:

For me, the only way I got shin splints was by running too far, a distance my body wasn't ready for. And, I was running outdoors. :flower:

I run on a treadmill at my house. I prefer it over a gym because the treadmills at my gym don't have springs. I suppose the bounce from springs is a lot worse on the knees, but I have found it to be essential to any treadmill I decide to use. I run at a pretty fast speed, and I would rather not have my feet slamming against a treadmill without a little bit of give from springs.

I used to get shin splints before.. I think it was because I wasn't used to running. Now that I've been out jogging a while, I can't feel a thing and I'm using the same shoes as I was in the beginning. For some though, it can be a problem with the shoes so make sure you have good ones :smile:

Ran 6 miles today, surprised myself lol But got caught in the rain and was soaked, ruined my trainers.:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Florencie
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->