Russian Street Style

Originally posted by Softee@Apr 13th, 2004 - 11:58 am
Lena, what makes you think that they are not proud of their roots?
the fact that they try too hard to look like 'westerners' plus the fact that some of them used to 'practically slave' in order to buy all the non-russian brands they could -or could not- afford.

that was some years back and i'm talking from personal experience, unfortunately, the SUV etc. refferences at the nyt article show that the situation hasn't changed much.

Originally posted by tott@Apr 12th, 2004 - 5:04 pm
faust, Sugo: It's a bit surprising to learn that Karlsson på taket is so popular in Russia!

Of course I grew up with Astrid Lindgren's stories, but I'm always surprised to learn how universal her appeal seems to be!

Me and my twin had Drutten dolls, and our mother made us a crocodile... Sort of like Jena, but not quite. My brother still has it, actually!
You didn't know?! I thought it was as widely known fact in Sweden as it is in Russia that these are the only two countries (well, I mean former SU) where Karlsson was a really popular book. As a matter of fact Lindgren visited SU many times during the cold war and was always warmly received. She's in love with Russia.

Originally posted by tott+Apr 12th, 2004 - 5:13 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tott @ Apr 12th, 2004 - 5:13 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Softee@Apr 12th, 2004 - 11:06 pm
You think it's paranoid? Watch CNN, keeping in mind how Americans stereotype other nations, including Russians. You'll see a lot of stereotypes, a lot of negativity, and exaggerations. If you keep you mind open to this idea, you might just see how many ignorant reports and articles (like the one in question) are out there...
I'm not an American, and I have to agree with you that anything outside the US is often stereotyped by American medias like CNN!

This doesn't change the fact that you seem to be a bit overly sensitive here...

Sorry, Softee, that's the way I see it![/b][/quote]
Guys, you really want to laugh? CNN is considered LIBERAL media in the USA. You should watch Fox news sometimes, the hair on your head will stand up.

Like I said before, NY Times is a terrible disappointment when it comes to their articles on Russia.

Lena

The biggest change in Russian fashion happened in the last few years - what you witnessed was the mafia wives fashion, flashy and logo-filled. Now, more and more of the young people have disposable income, and these people are much more discerning. The fact that there exist stores such as Le Form (which carries the likes of Ann Dem, Margiela and Watanabe, Le Form and boutiques by Vivienne Westwood and Yohji Yamamoto speaks for itself.

Comme has a Star boutique in St. Petersburg as well:-)

I think when you are talking about fashion in Russia, there are Moscow, St. Petersburg and the rest of Russia. The Russian Vogue edition is full of "hard-core" designers' stuffs. I was in Moscow in winter (about 2 years ago) so everybody wore fur. In GUM's shops a russian made real fur cost about 2000 usd. I think very few people can shop at boutiques like Prada or Armani (as everywhere:-). There are also several huge Sisleys, Benettons and Diesels. LeForm stocks russian designers, too. I think some clothes are in Comme's or MM's aesthetic.

What I liked is moscow people (and I) waited more than an hour in almost -20C to entry the Pushkin museum, hehe. I saw no sign of Chanel or Dior there, tho.

And I have to add that almost everybody here in Poland thinks that the SU was devil.

Originally posted by faust@Apr 13th, 2004 - 3:51 pm
She's in love with Russia.
Was, she died a bit more than two years ago. :cry:

It was like national mourning.

Originally posted by faust@Apr 13th, 2004 - 4:02 pm
Lena

The biggest change in Russian fashion happened in the last few years - what you witnessed was the mafia wives fashion, flashy and logo-filled. Now, more and more of the young people have disposable income, and these people are much more discerning. The fact that there exist stores such as Le Form (which carries the likes of Ann Dem, Margiela and Watanabe, Le Form and boutiques by Vivienne Westwood and Yohji Yamamoto speaks for itself.
i didnt say Russian women are logo addicted, i say they are western lifestyle addicted, and i sure expected more from them.

i'm a deep admirer of Russian culture and it certainly does not come as a surprise to me that they may have a boutique like Le Form, their natural style is much more towards MMM than LV .

i'd only like to see more of the Russian designers rising and more of those uber rich Russian women wearing local talents

(you may already know.. highest end Parisian boutiques swear by the names of their uber rich Russian -and Brasilian- clients, so why not support local talents )

Originally posted by Lena+Apr 14th, 2004 - 2:52 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lena @ Apr 14th, 2004 - 2:52 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-faust@Apr 13th, 2004 - 4:02 pm
Lena

i didnt say Russian women are logo addicted, i say they are western lifestyle addicted, and i sure expected more from them.

i'm a deep admirer of Russian culture and it certainly does not come as a surprise to me that they may have a boutique like Le Form, their natural style is much more towards MMM than LV .

i'd only like to see more of the Russian designers rising and more of those uber rich Russian women wearing local talents

(you may already know.. highest end Parisian boutiques swear by the names of their uber rich Russian -and Brasilian- clients, so why not support local talents ) [/b][/quote]
Lena, c'mon Parisian boutiques swear by their Asian clientele first and foremost!
And influential Russian people DO wear Russian designers a lot...
Sure, western stuff is popular, but so are Russian designers. Average girls can afford their stuff and they are cheaper than Prada and the rest...
And btw aren't European designers popular in America? It does not seem to bother you... Or when Enlglish women wear Ralph Lauren... What's wrong with Russian women liking western stuff? I am Russian, and I love Chanel... I love the designs, it's my sorta style... I'm in love with the whole house of Chanel! What' wrong with that? Unfortunately, I can't afford wearing it to the gym, but heck, I still love it!
I'm sorry, but it seems that you've been to Russia a long time ago, and much of it you don't remember... It looks like you have very stereotypical thinking regarding Russian women... i don't mean to offend or anything... but that's my impression...

We are more diverse than you think. :mrgreen:

:o no reason to get upset, i know we live in a global environment, French and english and italians wear more local labels than foreign ones, i dont see anything wrong in supporting local market

please dont take it personally,
its just my wish, what i would like to see happening thats all :P

all local markets should support local designers,
i can't see what annoys you about this

Originally posted by Lena@Apr 14th, 2004 - 7:32 am
:o no reason to get upset, i know we live in a global environment, French and english and italians wear more local labels than foreign ones, i dont see anything wrong in supporting local market

please dont take it personally,
its just my wish, what i would like to see happening thats all :P

all local markets should support local designers,
i can't see what annoys you about this
I think they will, in time. It's a learning curve, like with everything else. I think I discussed it in another thread. First, when the nouve riches got their first millions they set themselves on Paris/Milan like a pack of hungry hounds. Now that they are saturated with their Chanels and Guccis and Gaultiers, they are becoming a bit discerning. Later on they will become even more discerning, because eventually you don't want to look like the one next to you (unless you are a high school student). It'll come with time, but I'm sure you know this :lol:

Softee, this argument is getting redundant already - Lena is a much more open minded and knowledgable fashion professional than you might think.

I don't think it has anything to do with being Western or even being local....from the pals I have come to meet from Russia,they all have a genuine respect and admiration for design. Purity.

The sterotypes,well that's a given isn't it? It happens for everywhere not just Russia.

Originally posted by Scott@Apr 14th, 2004 - 8:17 am
I don't think it has anything to do with being Western or even being local....from the pals I have come to meet from Russia,they all have a genuine respect and admiration for design. Purity.

The sterotypes,well that's a given isn't it? It happens for everywhere not just Russia.
very well put, as usual :flower:

Yes, I totally agree with Scott.

Lena, nobody's getting upset, I just don't want people to take articles such as the one here, as an ultimate truth.
That's all.
If you went to Russia and saw it for yourself, we wouldn't even have this conversation.
Faust, unfortunately I still don't agree with your viewpoint, nor your prognosis (because, once again, it comes from mistaken and stereotypical viewpoint). And I also think that fashion professionals can make mistakes just like everyone else.

Peace :flower:

ok, whatever softee, i give up on you :P

scott, Russians love purity in design just because they are incredibly cultured
i couldnt believe the level of contemporary fine art i saw on diplay while in Moscow, they must have the most talented/cultured artists.

education and history is a part of their everyday life :heart:

Originally posted by Lena@Apr 15th, 2004 - 3:21 am
ok, whatever softee, i give up on you :P

scott, Russians love purity in design just because they are incredibly cultured
i couldnt believe the level of contemporary fine art i saw on diplay while in Moscow, they must have the most talented/cultured artists.

education and history is a part of their everyday life :heart:
It certainly is!!! Proud to be!!! :heart:

Originally posted by Softee@Apr 14th, 2004 - 8:15 pm

Faust, unfortunately I still don't agree with your viewpoint, nor your prognosis (because, once again, it comes from mistaken and stereotypical viewpoint).
Honey, in case you didn't realize yet, I'm just as Russian as you are, so your babbling about my stereotypical view is as off the mark as it can get.

Wow, Faust that's brilliant. How long have you been in the States?

Honey, in case you didn't realize yet, I'm just as Russian as you are, so your babbling about my stereotypical view is as off the mark as it can get.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Gee, Faust, I'm impressed... not!

Wow, Faust that's brilliant. How long have you been in the States?
Yes, Faust, I'd like to know that too... :wink: When was the last time that you've been to Russia, sweetheart?
Although, you know what... I'm not going to prove to you or anybody, who is more of a Russian: you or me. See, that's just silly and kind of irrelevant.
I know what I see, and I base my opinions on that.
I still don't agree with you and I don't care (especially considering that your arguments went the wrong way). I expressed my view on the article, -you think whatever you like...
All the best! :P

Originally posted by faust@Apr 12th, 2004 - 10:23 am
All I have to say, Cheburashka ROCKS :heart:
cheburashka2.jpg
lmao :lol: i have to watch cheburashka and gena every DAY cuz my little sister is CRAZY about them. i bought her a cheburashka toy for christmas, it's very annoying cuz it sings, but still cute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->