Russian Street Style

Originally posted by nqth+Apr 20th, 2004 - 2:28 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nqth @ Apr 20th, 2004 - 2:28 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Scott@Apr 20th, 2004 - 1:22 pm
When I think of the stereotypes,as far as fashion,of a certain country,I think of  traditions being carried along and there's nothing wrong with those,non? Its the way many reinterpret those traditions that makes them not a stereotype yet still very identifiable.

Ditto :-) Scott. Nobody lives in "the void", and great designers make their traditions so "universal" and appealing to people. That why I love fashion :-) and my "fashion stereotypes" are really the styles that the British, French, Belgian and other designers have contributed to fashion.

Anyway, I have read an interview with Rei Kawakubo from the early 90s (in Japanese, automatically translated into English - so I could not understand the whole things correctly:-) where she seemed not so fond of western press calling "Japanese designers" :-) I think she might want the press not to simplify the works of other designers as well. [/b][/quote]
Exactly. And I think fashion as universal as it is(which is such a good thing)it's always nice to see designers holding a piece of their roots in their work. Like Bernhard Willhelm,even where he was in Antwerp and is now in Paris,he continues to use his Bavarian roots as part of if his inspiration.

St. Petersburg/ Russian Street Style

I'm traveling to St. Petersburg later this month and I have no clue what to pack. I would like to blend in a bit and not stand out like a sore thumb so I was wondering if any of you guys have pictures or any info on Russian style.

Thanks! :smile:

First of all take warm clothes and a umbrella

341848.jpg

341951.jpg

don't wear your running shoes on the street. pleople always dress up there, do their hair and makeup. i don't have pictures really, but as far as you wear heels and a dress or a skirt you should be ok.

...wow these are great pics! I seriously never pictured it to be so stylish...

:blink: wow, these people.....effort appreciated but they look rather tacky.

the brunette with the black jacket, the girl with the red headband and the two girls at the 'hat' picture look quite ok to me :wink:

wish we could have more russian streetstyle posted , its so exotic in a way ...

can you post a credit for the pictures just posted here? i'm very curious :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree about not wearing your running shoes because you are going to get some seriously weird looks then. All the women love high heels, tacky jeans (eg faded and pictures on them) and the smallest tops ever made- and these are THE MOST stylish ones out there.

thanks for those pictures. if you have more I will greatly appreciate it :smile:
and I knew about the running/tennis shoes. I was actually born in St. Petersburg but haven't been back since 1993 so I have no clue what people dress like now.

I have one more question...

I live in southern United States in a small town so I've grown accustomed to very casual style: jeans, tshirt, and flip flops. I have a lot of funky and fun clothes as well as several dozen pairs of heels. The problem is that I can't handle spending a whole day in heels or walking long distances in them so I was wondering if it's ok to wear flip flops, etc. Not all the time, of course, but on some days.

I used to live in Moscow, but the clothes should be pretty much the same. Women like to get dressed up a lot, its better to over dress than under dress. A lot of people look tacky, but I think that thats due more to the clothes available to them than to their fashion style really. Try to stay away from sneakers, if you can't manage walking around in heels wear shoes without heels, like flats or something, a lot of people there do that. Stay away from flip flops and heels, you will get weird looks. And if you're wearing a short skirt, you'll probably get harassed by some guys, so I would stay away from that too. Bring a stylish raincoat or light jacket, since it will probably colder than you think. Also, people have much smaller wardrobes thank most Americans and its not that uncommon for someone to wear the same thing two days in a row, so don't bother bringing a ton of clothes with you.

Kseniya said:
I have one more question...

I live in southern United States in a small town so I've grown accustomed to very casual style: jeans, tshirt, and flip flops. I have a lot of funky and fun clothes as well as several dozen pairs of heels. The problem is that I can't handle spending a whole day in heels or walking long distances in them so I was wondering if it's ok to wear flip flops, etc. Not all the time, of course, but on some days.

Flip flops would get you weird looks. Try to get some nice-looking pointy flats or something or at least one of those jeweled/elaborately decorated flats that you see everywhere these days. Since you're not that old, you could wear a pair of sneakers, but not running sneakers. Try to get a pair that's unique and stylish-looking.

Im really surprised how nicely they're dressed. I pictured heavy brocade jackets and boots and shearling. It is a tad tacky, maybe it's thier way of making up for the cold, electrobright outfits.

It's actually rather springy, how warm does it get in Russia? They're wearing mini dresses and shorts and stuff.

Diorling said:
Im really surprised how nicely they're dressed. I pictured heavy brocade jackets and boots and shearling. It is a tad tacky, maybe it's thier way of making up for the cold, electrobright outfits.

It's actually rather springy, how warm does it get in Russia? They're wearing mini dresses and shorts and stuff.

it's warm in the summer.

DressageChick is absolutely right, many Russians have an excellent sense of style - it's the options that they don't have. Of course like with any new country entering capitalism one will see a lot of tacky and overdone, but that's a learning curve which I think Russians are zooming through quite quickly.

Actually, come to think of it, I would take Moscow Dolce and Gabanna kitsch over New Jersey Juicy Couture/Louis Vuitton kitsch any day.

I miss St.Petersburg, enjoy it Kseniya.

DressageChick said:
Flip flops would get you weird looks. Try to get some nice-looking pointy flats or something or at least one of those jeweled/elaborately decorated flats that you see everywhere these days. Since you're not that old, you could wear a pair of sneakers, but not running sneakers. Try to get a pair that's unique and stylish-looking.

thanks for the advice. I have a dozen pairs of flats to choose from and a pair of Steven by Steve Madden "sneakers" that are light pink and pointy toed that I can bring with me. I think I can hande 16 days without my flippies. :P

yeah my friend has just moved back from russia after living there several months, and he told me that the clothes people wore were one of the biggest culture shocks to him. he said russian women dressed up a lot and were very into high glamour. and apparently he says they "...always wear pointy shoes". he also commented on a lot of very bright neon colour.

utopia said:
yeah my friend has just moved back from russia after living there several months, and he told me that the clothes people wore were one of the biggest culture shocks to him. he said russian women dressed up a lot and were very into high glamour. and apparently he says they "...always wear pointy shoes". he also commented on a lot of very bright neon colour.

Yeah they're obsessed with pointy shoes. When I was there a couple years ago at least 19 out of 20 women in heels would have the pointy shoes.

Hi! I see many many Russian girls here in Tokyo. Being that these tall gorgeous leggy blondes in bright colors tend to stand out among millions of petite goths in Yohji B), I've made a few observations. Correct me if what I'm seeing is just expat Russian fashion, but the photos and comments above do seem to corroborate my list:

bright colors
skintight tops
skintight, embellished feminine jeans/pants
logo-ed bags
long manicured nails
big sunglasses
pointy heels
shiny, glittery jewelry
...most interesting are the ubiquitous big hair clips and other hair "ornaments" with rhinestones and logos

I would love to visit St. Petersburg Kseniya...Have a wonderful trip! ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndresKlayr
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->