San Francisco Shopping

^ oh, so glad you made it to Hayes! Those two are my absolute favorite stores in SF. Sounds like you didn't make it to Fillmore ... Cielo has a drool worthy selection of Dries, Ann D, Yohji, etc. There's also Cielo Blu, which carries Vanessa Bruno and MM6. Lots of shops on Fillmore actually, including the one that kentuky derby mentioned. For breakfast, I really like Roses Cafe in the Marina, the hash is always good. And cupcakes at Kara's Cupcakes ^_^

i had a great meeting with some people today and was invited to a cool work-related event tomorrow so i'm going to stick around til saturday! :woot: i'm thrilled to have a few more days to explore..

went to union square today and also popped into zara and h&m to compare them to the canadian ones.. thought they'd have a much better selection but actually it was much the same. ^_^ i fell in love with a beaded black dress at Zara that had my name all over it but it was the last small and the beading was already starting to come apart on top so i had to leave it behind. :(

looks like i'll have time to visit Fillmore, tourist, so that's on my list for tomorrow! :heart: thanks for the tip! i wanted to go to Medjool for dinner tonight on the patio but with this wind and drizzle i think i'll have to give it a miss.. perhaps find a cosy bistro somewhere instead..

someone recommended a great taco place on 24th and valencia so i went for lunch and had a really good burrito.. place was packed.. can't remember the name but it was pretty good!

hi all,

I am heading to SF for work for three days next week. I wont have much time for shopping but wanted to see if there are recommendations for food/coffee etc.

I gather four barrel is the place for coffee (just read about it in ny mag), is there somewhere better? Also, looking for dinner recommendations in the mission or castro. I'll be staying at the laurel inn (pacific heights/laurel heights) so any recommendations around that area would be appreciated too. I also want to bring some coffee and cheeses to my parents for christmas. anywhere specific i should go for that?

Thanks!

My favorite cheese location is at Rainbow Grocery; however, you might also check out Cowgirl Creamery at the Ferry Building, where all your gourmet needs will be met. In the Mission, I believe Foreign Cinema is the place to be, but likely impossible to get a reservation on short notice. Weird Fish, Walzwerk, and Medjool are other Mission ideas. I'm more of a burrito joint gal myself, (el Farolito, 24th and Mission) so I can give no personal recs on the cuisine of the above, other than they're established, and look nice and packed when I walk by them, so it must be good.

Everyone lines up for coffee outdoors at Bluebottle, but I can't fathom stand in line outdoors for coffee. It must be some damned good coffee.

I don't know where to eat in the Castro at all.

Hope some of this helps!

Good recs, mellowdrama.

I will only add that Bluebottle's coffee is very good (though I'm not a fan of the line, either), and 24th St. Cheese Company (24th and Sanchez, in Noe Valley) has lots of good cheese and the store itself is quite the sensory experience.

Ritual at 1026 Valencia has pretty good coffee, too, IMO.

Great thread! Thought I'd bump it up since I'm headed there soon and it hasn't been updated in almost a year!

^ Just looked at the previous page and as far as I know, most of those recs are still good ones... are you looking for anything in particular, places to go, to eat, to drink, to shop?

Burger Bar on the top floor of Macy's is a fabulous place for drinks and eats with an amazing view of Union Square

All Saints has recently opened on Maiden Lane... Cusp is now open in Neiman's....

I'm looking for any recommendations - eat (I'll be staying in Union Sq, with all the other tourists :P ), go to, see, do, shop. I'll be on my own though, so nothing that's more fun with a group of friends :D I'm fine with eating on my own - probably not so fine drinking on my own though!

In Union Square you will have no problem finding the shopping! :lol:

I also recommend a trip to Hayes Valley if you have time. It's a small area but full of great shops and some good restaurants, too. Haven't been there in a while myself but Nida has been mentioned earlier and I back that recommendation.

SF MOMA, Yerba Buena Cultural Center and MoAD (Museum of the African Diaspora) are all clustered together a few blocks south of Union Square and this is a good expedition if you want to look at some art and cultural artifacts. :smile:

Has anyone been to the Wasteland on Haight Street? How's the selection? Any goodies :wink:

Didn't remember subscribing to this post lolol...but if i remember correctly Wasteland was a thrift store. As like most thrift stores - it's a hit or miss...if you're looking for new, slightly pricey there's Ambience. Haight has kinda transformed to your typical touristy spot.

Hello all,

Looking for current recommendations as this thread is a bit dated. Any places you're in love with?

Many thanks,
Natalia

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nise
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->