Shopping At Luxury Stores

I was in paris a few months ago and went into galeries lafayette, and though I speak french whenever I askedsomething theyd reply in english, i assume because of my accent. In a way its nice they want to make it easier for you, but personally I felt it was kinda condescending as if "oh you cant speak french well so dont bother" - a haughty grin always seemed to be on their faces

I work in a high end Electrical store, and regardless of whether people are buying a £8,000 TV or a £2.50 aerial cable I treat them all exactly the same.

If they are polite I will go to the ends of the earth to help them, but if they are rude I will give them a chance to redeem themselves (as management I deal with faults and problems so understand that some people are stressed as their washing machine has blown up or whatever), but if they are rude to me, or worse to one of my staff I will inform them in no uncertain terms that they must apologise or take their business elsewhere...

Just the other day, someone across the store from me whistled to get my attention - I politely asked him if he had a dog in the store, and told him that wasn't allowed. I think the best way to deal with the really rude people is to cut them down to size - they aren't used to it and for the most part will respect you for it.

GGA said:
I only felt ignored and insulted in Paris, at Galleries la Fayette. Although I was toting my paddington, everyone kept looking at me as if I were poor or something...stupid French. I hate Paris!

A few month ago, when I was in Amsterdam, a man, in the street, pushed me (without his knowing it, but who cares, how can you be that ackward?).

Since then, I hate everyone from Holland, what a stupid population!!!

:innocent: :flower:

I was in paris a few months ago and went into galeries lafayette, and though I speak french whenever I askedsomething theyd reply in english, i assume because of my accent. In a way its nice they want to make it easier for you, but personally I felt it was kinda condescending as if "oh you cant speak french well so dont bother" - a haughty grin always seemed to be on their faces

ive had simular things happen to me .. for some reason they'd go upto my friends and start talking in english but then they would talk to me in french .. and my french isnt really all that good so i didnt have a clue what was happening. In the chanel. i was paying cash .. and something happened with the till and i couldnt figure out what was happening i think the recipet thing wasnt working or something .. i couldnt understand a word she was saying .. and then i heard her talking to an other customer 5 minutes later in english perfectly .. so i was like wtf ?? so i just had to wait there not having a clue what was going on.

I think that the older you get the more attention i get and the nicer they treat me .. all though i dont think ive ever had a bad experience.

i am a petite 19y/o and i absolutely HATE going to those luxury stores alone. they can be the bitchest people and look down on others as if they are poor or something. i've had my own experiences & it made me want to get out of there as soon a possible. so now i take my father along with me. and so far its been great. i think age really makes a difference.

actually my experience was not with SA but with my sis..
we all quaralling in Dior boutique over choosing the bag..this lady came to us smiling and "have u decided?"

haven't they ever seen pretty woman?
Like they're doing me a favour by letting me in there. I don't care anymore, i'm nice if they're nice, if i'm ignored I just go about my business & don't let it bother me

omar said:
haven't they ever seen pretty woman?
Like they're doing me a favour by letting me in there. I don't care anymore, i'm nice if they're nice, if i'm ignored I just go about my business & don't let it bother me

you need richard gere to rescue you.

ive had som many experiences but believe me, all the SAs with attitude get snobbed by me. i advise noone to try and intimidate me cos they always regret it afterwards...
this is mainly cos i am extremely confident even if i am wearing my converse and baggy pants at Lanvin, LV, Chanel et al...

it is all about respect. i once was a brand manager too and believe me it was tough cos customers would be rude and have the attitude : she's only a sales girl! little did they know i can probably afford more than them... but had to bite my tongue when they bossed me around..
therefore as a customer, you show respest and you will most of times get it in return...

and keep in mind not ALL sales girls are doing this job out of boredom, etc.. you DO (in rare cases) get the passionate fashion savvy girl/boy who would love to serve you in the highest standards just as expected :smile:

i've actually received excellent service the past few times i've been in neimans. never thought i'd say that.

^ I never thought you would either :lol: Congratulations :flower: I have actually had some rather crappy service in Nordstroms lately :shock: Some good, some not ...

I found the people in Barney's on the menswear floor were very friendly and helpful.
Some of the Dior Homme SAs act as if they're shagging Hedi Slimane though, they can be arrogant and ignorant I find, whereas others are polite and enthusiastic about the clothes.
If I'm ever treated badly though I just just speak abruptly and wear a moody face, tear them as they treat you I find is the best option.

MattS said:
Some of the Dior Homme SAs act as if they're shagging Hedi Slimane though, they can be arrogant and ignorant I find

I would not discount that as a real possibility :innocent:

I have a question actually...

How do you...gently discourage (for lack of a better word :ninja:) SAs who won't leave you alone even after you tell them you just want to browse and will ask for them if you need help? I was in such a situation earlier today when the SA wouldn't leave me alone :doh:

It felt a bit like being stalked, actually...everytime I turned around her face was inches from mine :shock:

^ I don't know, I usually just smile and say "I'm just looking"...

But when it comes to great SAs, Hermès is still my no. 1. I've been to Hermès in Athens, Milan, Munich and San Francisco and have been delighted each time.

I turn around and tell them, "could I have a moment to browse?"

Or I just tell them that I would like to be alone.

For the most part, people appreciate honesty. All the bullsh*t mixed signals just make their job harder.

If you want them to be with you, tell them, if not, tell them!

Oh and I always get excellent service at Louis Vuitton, Neiman Marcus, but Gucci seems a bit absent. Vuitton and Gucci are competitors, no? Maybe they have me blacklisted. Hahaha...

I've been in LA for the past week and been in real boutiques for the first time ever. Most SA's werent especially nice but werent horrible either. At YSL though my freind went to the bathroom and I was sitting there waiting, he wasnt taking forever but he was taking a little longer than normal. The SA was waiting with me and eventually said "You should prabably check on your friend, I dont mean to be rude but I need to go sell something". I thought it as very rude, and I dont see why she had to wait with me in the first place...

^ thats horrible...i cant believe someone actually said something like that..

this sounds really bad but Ive noticed that you get more attention if you are dressed in designer duds..i went into the gucci store once looking like a bum but i was actually going to buy something and not a peep..they just ignored me..

the next time i went in there i was carrying this old gucci bag i had and within 2 mins two sales people were nice and asked me if i needed anything..

i did it as sort of an experiment..and it had some pretty suprising results..

_ladybug_ said:

Haha I think this is not really an example of bad customer service but more an example of the general attitude of the french lol :lol: that darn superiority complex

Oh and to edit - I'm french before I get sh*t for this comment :smile:

tott said:
^ I don't know, I usually just smile and say "I'm just looking"...

marsmars said:
I turn around and tell them, "could I have a moment to browse?"

Or I just tell them that I would like to be alone.

For the most part, people appreciate honesty. All the bullsh*t mixed signals just make their job harder.

If you want them to be with you, tell them, if not, tell them!

I did tell her that quite clearly...but she wouldn't leave me alone. And there were other customers in the shop too :ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adyczh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->