So You Want to Become a Model? (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

^you should talk to your parents about it they may feel more comfortable with you starting in Canada especially while you are in school then once you turn 18 in 2 yrs they may be fine with it and you will be and adult and able to do what you want.

im not sure if this is the right place to post this =\

im 5'9 1/2, 16 3/4's old & im really intrested in modelling, although im worried about my hips measurment. my measurments are 32-33-35.5. it would be great if i could take an inch off of my hips. i do believe that its only the way my bones/built are shaped =\ any tips would be greatly appreciated :smile:

^ i know, and i dont really have excess weight on my hips or anything, i guess its just my shape. im not sure though if im a 35.5 .. thats an estimate. my hips look around the size of cintia dicker's . people say hers are smaller than they really are though, so im not sure.

i fit into a size 0-4 pants though? which is weird. hah it would be so ironic to find out that im a size 34.5. :o i seriously have to measure to know for sure.

Don't worry, there are lots of models with those measurements. Don't worry, just give it a shot and see where that takes you!

tiffany said:
:flower:

Just to elaborate on that: in an interview she said that a scout spotted her at a fashion contest where she went to see some friends compete (I'm guessing the scout was with Vivien's Model Management)

I belive this contest was the Australian version of Top Model sort of thing, no? Her friends where going to enter, but she had no intrest and, like Gisele, was sort of 'kidnapped' from the crowd. At leats, that's what I heard?

KhaoticKharma said:
I belive this contest was the Australian version of Top Model sort of thing, no? Her friends where going to enter, but she had no intrest and, like Gisele, was sort of 'kidnapped' from the crowd. At leats, that's what I heard?

Yeah, she was just there to support her friends but she stood out... I read that in some article.

tiffany said:
:flower:

Just to elaborate on that: in an interview she said that a scout spotted her at a fashion contest where she went to see some friends compete (I'm guessing the scout was with Vivien's Model Management)

Yea, I heard Gemma went to watch a friend at a modeling competition and they well kidnapped her:lol:

And I'm pretty sure Tegan got scouted at Tim Hortons by some model and than FT just thought it'd be a nice story to show.

Measurements AND height... I think Women New York and Milan are the ultimate in not telling the truth:wink:.

lizloveslife said:
I live in Canada, so would I be better off sending photos to an agency here or one in the US? I'm still undecided as to whether I want to or not, I suppose there's nothing to lose. But I'm only 16, so do I need parental consent to send them? TIA.

I'm in Canada too and I sent my pics to several agencies in Canada (Mode, Next, Elmer Olsen, and some others) and the U.S. (Women, New York Models, IMG, DNA, Marilyn, and I think a couple of others). I only sent my pics to major NY agencies. That way, if a NY agency is interested, I can skip the step of dealing with a Canadian agency, but if none are, I can model a bit in Canada and get placed in NY/Europe through my Canadian agency.

Most agencies don't say you need parental consent to send pics except for Elite. But, take my advice, tell them before you do it! Gah. I didn't and I still haven't and now I have a few agencies interested in me and they don't even know I sent out any pics or want to model at all and now it's hard to find a way to tell them without thinking of them being mad that I did it without telling them. I'm waiting for the right agency to be very interested in me now before I say anything because I'd hate to say something and then not be able to even get a decent agency. I'm thinking it would definetely have been best to let them know from the start.

ablutophobic said:
I'm waiting for the right agency to be very interested in me now before I say anything because I'd hate to say something and then not be able to even get a decent agency. I'm thinking it would definetely have been best to let them know from the start.

i don't think you should wait .. now it's the right momoent to tell them you just send yours pics to see if you have any potential and then you will be able to wait for any reliable agency with their support.:flower:

I need some advice from you wise people. All my life, well the 17 years of it, I've wanted desperately to be a model, I'm just not sure if I have what it takes. I dont need to be the next Kate Moss, although that would be lovely, I just want to experience that world, even if it is just commercial work or whatever. Anyways, I'm around 5 foot 6.5 and my measurements are 32-25-35, are those too big? And also I have braces but will be getting them off around Christmas. I know some agencies accept teens under 17 that are 5'6 and up, but should I even bother?

MrsMarcJacobs said:
I need some advice from you wise people. All my life, well the 17 years of it, I've wanted desperately to be a model, I'm just not sure if I have what it takes. I dont need to be the next Kate Moss, although that would be lovely, I just want to experience that world, even if it is just commercial work or whatever. Anyways, I'm around 5 foot 6.5 and my measurements are 32-25-35, are those too big? And also I have braces but will be getting them off around Christmas. I know some agencies accept teens under 17 that are 5'6 and up, but should I even bother?

I think that your measurements are fine, since there are models with the same ones and I doubt the braces will be a problem since they're coming off and I've seen a model booked with braces, but I'm not sure about your height. There are a lot of agencies that only look for girls 5'8 and above, or so I've researched, but there are always exceptions if the agency takes a liking to you.

Then again this is pretty much the advice I've gotten and I've been researching modelling and everything, though I'm not expert, just an aspiring model myself. You should just try and see where that gets you. Don't give up! Good luck! :flower:

MrsMarcJacobs said:

we honestly arent the people who should be telling you if you should bother or not, if you think you have what it takes, try, the most they can say is no.

ablutophobic said:
I'm in Canada too and I sent my pics to several agencies in Canada (Mode, Next, Elmer Olsen, and some others) and the U.S. (Women, New York Models, IMG, DNA, Marilyn, and I think a couple of others). I only sent my pics to major NY agencies. That way, if a NY agency is interested, I can skip the step of dealing with a Canadian agency, but if none are, I can model a bit in Canada and get placed in NY/Europe through my Canadian agency.

Most agencies don't say you need parental consent to send pics except for Elite. But, take my advice, tell them before you do it! Gah. I didn't and I still haven't and now I have a few agencies interested in me and they don't even know I sent out any pics or want to model at all and now it's hard to find a way to tell them without thinking of them being mad that I did it without telling them. I'm waiting for the right agency to be very interested in me now before I say anything because I'd hate to say something and then not be able to even get a decent agency. I'm thinking it would definetely have been best to let them know from the start.

Thanks so much. Modelling has always been an interest of mine but I've never told anyone. My friends and family have told me before that I could be a model but they say it more as a compliment than actually expecting me to go out and do something about it. I'd love to send pictures in, but I don't know if I want to tell my family beforehand or after. Would you possibly be able to send me the addresses or emails of the Canadian companies you sent to? I'd appreciate it so much, if not, thanks for the advice!

Sure, just go to this site http://modelresource.ca/Agencies/canada.shtml and look through the cities for all the agencies, but I'd recommend:

Mode Models (Calgary based) - modemodels.com - [email protected]

Next (Toronto) - nextmodels.ca - [email protected]

Ford (T.O.) - fordmodels.com - [email protected]

Elite (T.O.) - elitemodel.com - [email protected]

I've got to run, but other ones I'd check out if you're in Ontario are Sutherland, B&M, Giovanni, and Michele Miller's International Model Management. Oh, and Elmer Olsen too (elmerolsenmodels.com).

So, I would love to do modeling , i could never do Catwalk modelling because of my height, so what else do people reccomend ? I`m in Australia so its a bit harder these not AS many opportunites for things

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmarisMoonlover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->