Starting To Wear Makeup: Makeup for Beginners

madem0iselle said:
is foundation really that bad? i started when i was in gr.7....=S now that i think back what a shame i fetl like a clown! i had like blush foundation mascara eyeshdawo eyebrow liner EVERYTHING! it was gross no im 15 I just started using Jane Iredale's Mineral Amazing base Loose powder its a 4 in all (foundation+sunscreen 20+ skincare makeu+waterproof) i reccomend for people who want to avoid clogging pores and pimples and oh yeah it feels like ur wearing NOTHING.

i just put that loose powder a buit of bronzer and fill in my eyebrows and lipgloss look sooo much more natural now thank god

Sounds like my cousin. She used to pile it on at first. Every product under the sun. Now, well, she makes it look much more natural:P

makeup noob- where and how should i start?

Hi, i've never really worn makeup for most of my life but I'd like to start wearing some just cos I reckon I look better with some on:D BUT, i'm not looking at caking my face with foundation. I just want a natural subtle look that isn't too overdone (if u get what I mean?). How should i go about doing this? Like.. what products should I get? Brands? etc? anything i should know about makeup? and stuff like that?

I'm a complete makeup noob- so pls educate me!:heart:

i'm 23 years old and i have never worn make-up with the exception of weddings, big parties, and my big birthday bashes. (i always have it professionally done for those kinds of special occasions.) i do wear lip gloss, lip stick, and i own a lot of make-up, A LOT. (lip glosses, lipsticks, mascaras, eyeshadows, blushes, etc., etc.!) but i only ever use my lip glosses. i have never owned foundation or cover up or powder, though, nor would i even know how to apply it. i barely know how to apply mascara or eyeshadow.

plain and simple, i have always had clear skin with the exception of a few blackheads on my nose which are easily taken care of with skin cleansers. i have never had a need to cover anything up on my face or use foundation. i just never really ever get pimples. (sure, i have had one every once in a while due to that girly once a month thing most women get, but it usually disappears by morning time if i apply tea tree oil on it over night.) also, my cheeks are naturally rosy, so i haven't ever felt as if i have needed blush either.

but on the flip side, i'm 23 and i don't know how to apply make-up on myself! i need help, ladies. i have make-up bags upon make-up bags of stila, mac, and philosophy lipsticks, lip glosses and eyeshadows, but i only use the lip glosses. i don't know where to begin! how do i start using make-up? i don't want to use foundation, i don't need it, but i don't think a little powder would hurt me, would it?

well, if i had bags of make-up i would want to play with it all the time :P
so why don't you just play with it, try and see what looks good and what doesn't... There are so many tutorials on youtube and stuff. I love love love pursebuzz.com!
Also, you could go to a makeup counter and ask them to do a makeover but explain that you want to learn how to use that stuff at home too... Some are really helpful. Good luck!

i'm 23 years old and i have never worn make-up with the exception of weddings, big parties, and my big birthday bashes. (i always have it professionally done for those kinds of special occasions.) i do wear lip gloss, lip stick, and i own a lot of make-up, A LOT. (lip glosses, lipsticks, mascaras, eyeshadows, blushes, etc., etc.!) but i only ever use my lip glosses. i have never owned foundation or cover up or powder, though, nor would i even know how to apply it. i barely know how to apply mascara or eyeshadow.

plain and simple, i have always had clear skin with the exception of a few blackheads on my nose which are easily taken care of with skin cleansers. i have never had a need to cover anything up on my face or use foundation. i just never really ever get pimples. (sure, i have had one every once in a while due to that girly once a month thing most women get, but it usually disappears by morning time if i apply tea tree oil on it over night.) also, my cheeks are naturally rosy, so i haven't ever felt as if i have needed blush either.

but on the flip side, i'm 23 and i don't know how to apply make-up on myself! i need help, ladies. i have make-up bags upon make-up bags of stila, mac, and philosophy lipsticks, lip glosses and eyeshadows, but i only use the lip glosses. i don't know where to begin! how do i start using make-up? i don't want to use foundation, i don't need it, but i don't think a little powder would hurt me, would it?

For tips and tricks, I would definitely check out Youtube tutorials - there are tons of them. Some of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/user/xsparkage
http://www.youtube.com/user/pursebuzz
http://www.youtube.com/user/panacea81
http://www.youtube.com/user/kuuipo1207
http://www.youtube.com/user/EnKoreMakeup

Yeah it wasn't terribly bad though until middle of my elementary school years, when it got terrible. My 6th grade picture was a vision of greasy, bumpy skin. :ninja:

As far as getting started, I would definitely experiment with what you have. Make sure to get some really good brushes because a good brush can make or break the look. When you are starting out, or practicing, try neutral shades first so you can get an idea of what to do. Another one would be to go to a makeup counter or, say, Sephora and see if they can show you some tricks. I mean I use makeup but I'm finally learning blending. I don't wear foundation but I just got into some MAC iridescent powder (love it). If you are young and you treat your skin well, foundation is a burden.

If you are young and you treat your skin well, foundation is a burden.

I agree with this. If your skin is clear and you are 23, you probably already have the skin most foundations try to give the illusion of. If you don't need it, I wouldn't start wearing foundation just because. Worst case scenario is you'll break out more if you have a reaction or don't try the right one. Just like others said, watch the tutorials or ask the ladies (or men I guess) at sephora or a dept. store counter for help with how to do eye stuff or lip stuff. Maybe some sheer tinted SPF moisturizer would be ok (actually definitley SPF moisturizer even if it's not tinted). If your skin is clear and young you don't need foundation though because the point of it is to cover problems and even the tone.

And yeah, I would second that play-with-it suggestion. You probably bought the stuff because you like it so just have fun and test everything out. Even if it's right before you wash your face before bed. No one will see it and you can practice.

I have to disagree. Devil's advocate here.

We live in 2008, foundation not only covers, it also protects, it's like a protecting shield for your skin, from wind, sun, humidity, anything. But it's important to remember to take it off when you go home. ALWAYS.

I have to disagree. Devil's advocate here.

We live in 2008, foundation not only covers, it also protects, it's like a protecting shield for your skin, from wind, sun, humidity, anything. But it's important to remember to take it off when you go home. ALWAYS.

i agree with you, somewhat... i've never, ever used foundation. i'm 23 and have never had a pimple that's lasted more then a day because i am very, very, very picky about my face and i immediately take care of it if i feel a pimple coming! i only get one or two around the time of my menstral cycle, anyway. but i know for a fact that if i didn't constantly cleanse my wash, moisturize, and avoid foundation and oily creams that my face would probably break out terribly and i wouldn't have the great skin that i have. i have big pores, (my mom says it's because my grandmother has big pores, too, but who knows!) and big pores tend to absorb dirt quicker and easier. (because of this, i do get blackheads but on my nose, only. i take care of those by using bentonite clay powder, though!) i can't imagine what a catastrophe it would be for me if i used foundation and it were to clog my big pores. i think i would seriously cry. :cry: but like i said, i somewhat agree with you. for people with small pores, foundation is probably a blessing and protects their skin!

with that being said, does anyone know of any powders... i rather not use foundation, that will work as a foundation would and won't clog my pores? :innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->