Starting To Wear Makeup: Makeup for Beginners

Makeup should look natural at all ages. That is why I stopped wearing eyeshadow and eyeliner. It doesn't look right anymore. Now, I'm going for the fresh clean face kinda look.

As I've grown older, my skin tone totally changed. I used to have a neutral but slightly reddish skin tone, but now it is very yellowish (but not in the liver disease way :lol:). I just can't find an eyeshadow colour that suits me.

When I was 13, I used to wear Guerlain's Divinora Radiant Colour Single Eyeshadow in a very subtle lilac. It melted into my skin, it doesn't have any shimmer to it and people though it was my natural eyelid colour.
The colour is very similar to this one
05151680702.jpg

I paired it with black mascara (Spectacular Mascara from Helena Rubinstein after I curled my lashes) and pink blush (also from Guerlain).

03194480702.jpg
02058983402.jpg

strawberrynet.com

I dabbed some Rimmel cream concealer on my dark circles, at that time, that was enough. I also combed my eyebrows and set them with hairspray. It looked totally natural. The key is not to overload your face with shimmer - no shimmer at all for day. I have never used anything on the lips except conditioner and babypowder (to avoid hair getting stuck on the lips while beeing outside - crazy, I know).

It looked pretty, but natural.

But now I only wear concealer from MAC, glow enhancer from The Body Shop, babypowder, eyebrow colour from YSL and creme blush. I can't wear eyeshadow or black mascara - it doesn't look right at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think stila's illuminating tinted moisturizer would be great for beginners who don't need much coverage. It's very light and evens out the skin without looking "made up" :flower:

Another teenage makeup novice here :smile:

What exactly are you meant to do with compact powder? What benefits does it have?

And another thing....how are you meant to cover dark circles under the eyes? Like they manage to do in catwalk shows! I mean like this:

www.style.com

^ i use a yellow toned concelaer.. green for red spots on your skin and you use yellow for dark circles under your eyes

No foundation? That was like my first makeup thing EVER. my mom's too. That and mascara. Wow. I guess I must have really crappy skin if I needed a full face of foundation and not just concealer in the beginning. Oh, who am I kidding? I do have crappy skin. All those out there who can just spot cover with concealer, you're blessed!

*k.a.t.e* said:
Another teenage makeup novice here :smile:

What exactly are you meant to do with compact powder? What benefits does it have?

And another thing....how are you meant to cover dark circles under the eyes? Like they manage to do in catwalk shows! I mean like this:

http://imageshack.us

[URL="http://www.style.com"]www.style.com[/URL]

I use only pressed powder because I find it much less messy than loose powder. I'm very oily and must use it to set my makeup, and before I apply powder blush.

There's a product that apparently really works for preventing dark circles (someone who remembers the name please chime in :huh:), and I've read that pink-tinted concealers are perfect for under the eye. (You can get whatever color you want custom-blended at Prescriptives for I think $34.) You could go to a counter at a department store and ask them to show you how ...

When I started using make-up I remember going completely overboard with it. I think it might be a phase everyone has to go through - experimental stage.

Make-up is not to cover or change your looks, it is to enhance the good features. I think, like many have noted, that make-up should be natural. There shouldn't be too much, less is more is the rule. I'd start with the very basics, not think that because there are huge varieties of make-up in the market every woman needs all of them.

I'm sorry but I just have to say 12 is too young. It's too goddamned young. Why the hell do you want to wear makeup at 12? My god! At that age the skin is dewy and fresh and supple. That's what older people try to replicate! I'd just stick with a bit of blush and lipgloss if you're desperate but honestly wearing foundation etc, why?! Not only will it most likely CAUSE problems but it won't achieve anything. I would kill to have 12 year old skin again, to see somebody willing to cover it up just makes me frustrated.

^ I am with you, but I can say you are generalizing when you say 12-year-olds have a good skin. My acne was at it's worst stage when I was that age and before that. I definetily did not have a good skin, and I am not the only one who's that young and with frankly saying ugly skin. I looked awful. Not sure if make-up makes any of that look better, normally make-up does not cover acne. It only ends up looking pasty and more awful than acne skin. But I, or anyone else, would not want to have the skin I had at 12 in any case. I'd like to have the skin I had when I was seven.

However it is true that most of people that age have good skin. I remember my peers with honey skin slathering themselves with their mom's foundation ... if they would have realised how beautiful their skin was. Then they hit the teenage and it was gone.

12 yrs old is a very young age to start wearing make up! I forgot wat i was doing when i was your age. Just wear very min. make up. Your skin should be very fresh and youthful! Just put on some blusher!

Ah I quit all together, watching a few girls in my year wearing plasters of make-up shows me that I should wait and live with my clear skin :smile:

Just be careful once you do start wearing foundation. Remember, it is foundation, not concrete, don't pile it on.

i'm 19 and i'm still trying to figure out how to wear make up in the proper way!

I don't think 12 is necessarily too young. I was an early bloomer and started getting acne when I was 10, so we don't all have perfect skin at that age.

I started playing with my mom's make-up when I was pretty young. I started wearing full make-up around 11. I don't think it ravaged me, I just had more opportunities to play around and learn. It also didn't look too inapropriate on me, but it depends on the individual.

I kind of got shocked the other day watching TV, and seeing a tiny Dakota Fanning at 12. Personally, I also stopped growing when I was 11 at 5'7". So...it takes all kinds. I think mothers should be in tune with their child's own developement and not just their age.

^ha! Acne at 10. Sounds just like me. I honeslty, seriously, thought I was the only one who broke out that early, lol.

Heh if you think that's young, I started getting it in 2nd grade.

is foundation really that bad? i started when i was in gr.7....=S now that i think back what a shame i fetl like a clown! i had like blush foundation mascara eyeshdawo eyebrow liner EVERYTHING! it was gross no im 15 I just started using Jane Iredale's Mineral Amazing base Loose powder its a 4 in all (foundation+sunscreen 20+ skincare makeu+waterproof) i reccomend for people who want to avoid clogging pores and pimples and oh yeah it feels like ur wearing NOTHING.

i just put that loose powder a buit of bronzer and fill in my eyebrows and lipgloss look sooo much more natural now thank god

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarenabrilcoleman
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->