Starting To Wear Makeup: Makeup for Beginners

Oh! If I can give any advice at all, to anyone is

WEAR SUNSCREEN!

:smile:.. You don't want age spots for when you're older. Neutrogena Sheer is pretty good, though a bit oily. But wear Sunscreen all year round, the sun doesn't disappear during the winter. :D

Ceri said:
Oh! If I can give any advice at all, to anyone is

WEAR SUNSCREEN!

:smile:.. You don't want age spots for when you're older. Neutrogena Sheer is pretty good, though a bit oily. But wear Sunscreen all year round, the sun doesn't disappear during the winter. :D

Yes! Sunscreen is essential! :flower:

thanks guys. well after reading what everyone said. heres what i think.

1. you are all right

2. i subtuted face powder with oil-absorbing blotting sheets from almay

3. i still wear lipgloss

4. in stead of mascara i brought an eyelash curler although my mom did by some brown and clear mascara so she could teach me how to put it on.

5.well i got some blush but its like a glodish pink color. it looks really pretty and sheer on me

6.i got some tinted lotion and some SUNSCREEN!

7.i go some Dove facial cleanser wipes and it takes off the makeup really good.

8. im thinking of buying some "more" makeup just to see what all looks good on me

9. i HATE foundation and so does my mom

well thanks again everyone. keep posting if ya want.

PS. i have a skin tone kinda like Beonyce Knowles from destinys child. its kinda maybe one shade darker. but im not very dark. if i can give ya some help, im African American/Pertu Rican/Native American/ and alittle Caucasion. but ya cant tell i have some white in me.

I you can skip using facial wipes as a daily makeup remover it would be nice! :smile:
Get a nice foaming cleanser, it´s better for your skin, as it totally cleanses it wich is also better at your age because of spots.

ooh i just found this thread kuz i was searching "tinted lotion"
i got a sample a few months ago and i just started using it (ive never used make up before and im 17 =/) then i went back to get some but the sales person was like tinted lotion? what? u mean like tanning lotion? ugh! i only wear mascara (diorshow!) as of now. i really like eyeliner, but have no idea how to put it on w/o looking dumb. any other suggestions for first time (asian, medium color) make up wearer

Beginners Make-up Kit

Im 13 (soon) and a lot of people in my school wear make-up and I cannot be bothered to put it on in the morning so people always tell me to try some.
And these girls in my year had like a whole bag full of Chanel, Givenchy and Benefit make-up which suprised me! And what suprises me is that I can put it on better and actually have knowledge of it than them who only buy it because of the name. But I just am too tired. So they put make-up on me and everyone said it made me look really good.
So I am ONLY starting with Drugstore/Superdrug stuff. Designer is way too much for my age.

What do I start with? And no brands please.

And do you think its right Im wearing Make-up at this age? I feel slightly silly about it because Im a little kid...

at 13 i never wore makeup...maybe some chapstick :lol:
i'm 21 now and I still never really wear makeup, especially if i'm just going to be sitting in class all day...
if i do put on makeup it's usually only a little concealer dabbed on blemishes and undereye circles, a quick sweep of powder on shiny days or a lightweight tinted moisturizer on days that my skin feels dry, and maybe a swipe of gloss in a fun colour or in a sophisticated nude shade if i'm feeling serious ^_^
if i'm going out or if i have a date i'll curl my eyelashes (in fact, buying an eyelash curler and learning to use it properly would be my most fervent advice to you!) and put on some mascarra to give my peepers some oomph but that's about as much effort as i'm willing to put in to it...
my makeup bag seriously has like 8 things in it and that's just the way i like it...simple! i'm too busy and fabulous to fuss over my gorgeous face and bets are you're too busy and fabulous too! good luck :flower:

I never wore make-up at 13 either. I do, however, remember being the total lip balm connoisseur. My advice is perhaps to start with sunblock and then concealer if you need it. You probably won't cuz you're still young. I wouldn't advise buying foundation either. I really love those 3 in 1 make-up pots which you can put on your eyes, cheeks and lips. Saves time, and money. And they're sheer, so it's hard to mess up. I do mine in the car sometimes. And then of course a good basic mascara to wear at night. (i'm always running around and find that the mascara doesn't last so I only wear it at night) ANd a black eyeliner to define your gorgeous eyes as well as a slick of lip gloss on your lips if you're feeling like it.

That's it! Concealer, 3 in 1 make up, mascara+curler, eyeliner, lipgloss. The most important thing is to have fun experimenting and figuring out which colour look best on you. Good luck!

You sound really sensible and mature for your age. I never wore make up at 13 either (unless it was just fooling around with my mom's). This is a great time to concentrate / invest in a good skin care regime rather than make up. I think if you must, just a dab of tinted lip balm / sheer gloss would suffice. If you're talking about drugstore stuff, I like mentholatum. They have tinted lip balm with sun protection.

Well, I did wear makeup at 13 :wink:

My suggestion would be to pick a category that seems fun to you and start there (e.g., lipgloss or eyeshadow, mascara, etc.)

We have a budget makeup thread where you might be able to pick up some tips, but my suggestion would be to go with a department store brand (you could do Revlon, which I believe is available at Penney's but is also a drugstore brand) so that you can try things on and thus make fewer mistakes. Even after decades of choosing makeup colors, we all still make mistakes, so you need all the help you can get :wink: I feel this saves in the long run. Lots of us here wear MAC, and it's reasonably priced in comparison with Chanel. I would just start with a color or two & start building your collection ... maybe stuff that's easy to put on on a break since you don't feel like doing it in the morning.

I think most people probably consider lip color or mascara their most important item ...

i only wore tinted lip balms and those roller glitter things that were hot back in 1998 or sth....around gr6-7.
In grade 8, i bought sheer, pastel eyeshadows from Maybelline for fun and parties or something.

I didn't really start following a good skincare regime until late high school ( i was lazy...a soap and water girl) and only used lipgloss/mascara/liner (just 1 or all 3) on weekends.

Now that i'm in university, if i could turn back time and whatnot...I would say that PROPER SKINCARE is ESSENTIAL! I definitely agree w/ sunscreen..i wish i used it daily earlier...(i just started using it regularly a year ago and i'm 19)
Basically, cleanser + moisturizer + sunscreen is very important.

In terms of makeup...natural is always nice for every age. At 12-13 yrs old, I think skin should be kept clear of cosmetics (foundation, powder..). I think a sheer tinted lip balm/ lip gloss, curled lashes w/ clear or natural mascara is ideal.

For fun on the weekends/parties, some cute pastel shade eyeshadows can be a bonus.

oh, and since i've been combo-oily skin since adolescence (w/ a couple pimples, but no serious acne), I recommend a tinted blemish treatment cream to conceal and zap zits. i cannot live w/o my oil absorbing sheets. I think Clean and Clear makes the best ones and they're relatively inexpensive =)

So, Kushie just as long as the colours are sheer, and you don't apply too much, make up can be fun and will look good. It always feels good to look pretty too^_^
Less is more, and your skin will thank you later by not using a lot of face makeup. I see a lot of young girls with winged out liquid liner already..and it looks silly to be trying to look sexy when you're so young. you won't feel embaraased when you look back at your pictures later when you look natural.

I agree that drugstore brands are a good and cheap way to experiment. After all, you're just beginning to explore the different brands, colors and options! NYC, Wet n Wild, Rimmel, Bonne Bell, even CG and Maybelline are all inexpensive and have a lot of selection.

I started to become properly interested in make up when I was about twelve or thirteen. I just started off wearing some brown mascara, some concealer to cover any little spots, lipgloss and sometimes blush. I still usually just wear that combo for every day coverage, six years later.

It can be very exciting to go out and buy all these wonderful new make up products for the first time, and it's easy to get carried away. Stick with simple brands like covergirl or maybelline, and buy the basic, most popular items so you can be quite sure they will be appropriate and work well.

oh, and if you're going to be wearing make up now, you must make sure you have a good skin care routine to take care of that beautiful, young complexion!

When I was 12 my mom said that I was only allowed lip balms or lipsticks and then eyeliners. 7th grade I was allowed to get Jane eyeshadows, I loved Goldie Looks and the silver shade, and then I discovered Surfer Girl. So since 8th grade I've been allowed to do what I want with my makeup and now I love mark by Avon, or just Avon, because the colours are great, products are great, and I don't pay an arm and a leg for them...so I can afford to get more stuff!

However since 8th grade I've been using Lancome eyeshadows. I have quite a collection and I appreciate the quality because they are good for eyes that can't normally tolerate eyeshadow. Most of my makeup, however, is drugstore stuff although it's changing to Avon because I buy mainly from the Outlet catalogues where I can get more for my buck. It is good to get some designer pieces if you can afford it and you like the quality or the colours. For example once I started using OPI nail polishes and was able to do my nails properly, I stopped using anything other than OPI or Avon because the quality wasn't as good. For eyeliners I tend to go Avon because yeah, they're more expensive than Wet/Wild, but they work the best for me. And for great lipglosses you can't beat Revlon or Bonne Bell.

One thing I do though is when I do plays with younger kids, I teach them about makeup-what the products are, how to apply them, etc, so that when they do plays in the future they'll have some knowledge of that kind of stuff. When you are young though, it's not necessary to have a huge makeup trunk. A mini drawer set will do wonders and then a small cosmetic bag to carry the daily stuff.

i think a great starter kit for beginners should include:

-very sheer tinted moisturizer to prep skin
-clear brow gel to put brows in place
-mascara in at least 3 shades darker than your natural lash color
-very sheer tinted lipbalm

:flower:

your mom is very smart
awwww!!! i remember when i was 12
at this age, too much makeup would be murder for your skin
i have freakishly long eye lashes, so i can't really help you with mascara/eye liner related things, but on any formal occassions, i cannot live without lip-liner. IMO, wearing lipstick without liner is messy (unless it's a nude-colored lip stick) but that just might be me being super anal
it's really cute that you're pulling all-nighters all ready. i mean, teachers probably shouldn't be giving you that much work, but it's nice to know your dedicated

just remembered...
do you use moisturizer or exfoliate?
makeup tends to dry your skin out so be sure to maintain

Wow...Definitely eye/lip/cheek makeup is fun if you're going out, and even just having a girls night in.

At 12, I was most concerned about aggravating acne. If you don't have acne, congrats! But most likely at that age without pimples you already have glowing skin, foundation/concealer seems a bit excessive at that age and I know a lot of my friends got into this cycle. Start wearing foundation, clogs their pores, get pimples, then they have to use more concealer to cover the pimples etc. etc. I just avoided that entirely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rearjepaj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->