Style.com: Top Ten Collections of the Decade

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by before, Sep 11, 2010.

1. before

before Active Member

I don't think there's a thread on this. Some of the collections are iffy but some should undoubtedly be on the list. I'm surprised no YSL showed up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

style.com

2. before

before Active Member

continued...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    style.com

#2 before, Sep 11, 2010
    Last edited by moderator : Sep 11, 2010
  3. Pricciao

Pricciao Well-Known Member

I thought Lanvin fall 2008 and YSL fall 2008 also good enough to get on the list
    but I'm happy with this result, especially McQueen & Hussein.

4. Prairie

Prairie Active Member

I feel so sorry for being too young to 'trace' collections in the beginning of the decade. I know that I can watch some photos and videos now, but it's not the same feeling.

5. kathryn_163

kathryn_163 New Member

as i was reading i began to get anxious that there was gonna be no McQueen inclusion, I think it's deserved more than any of the others, but then I;m a little biased! Unfortunate circumstances excused, i must say i think im a little more drawn to the Fall 2008 collection, i think the drama, intricacy, and the praise it recieved make it worthy of the list, then again it didnt have the shoes!
    Is it just me that doesn't think the Prada collection belongs in the list? surely it's too soon to say that it's one of the best, there has hardly been time for any sort of aftermath showing its worth. I may be letting my personal taste get in the way a little.

6. CharlottefromCA

CharlottefromCA User Friendly

Balmain!??! For serious?

And if you are going to include Prada.. there were much more memorable collections than last season.. but then again thats just my opinion (obviously..)

7. ChiStreetStyle

ChiStreetStyle New Member

Balenciaga Fall 2007 is my all time favorite collection. Ever. I am glad Style.com agreed, although to be fair it couldn't have even been up for debate.

I don't quite understand why there are four collections from the end of the decade. If it was really about selecting collections that represented the 2000s there should have been at least 2 from 2004-2006 seasons. I also think given how dramatically Phoebe Philo's work at Chloe influenced the boho-chic trend during the middle of the decade at least one of those collections should have been included.

8. Karen0193

Karen0193 Active Member

no fall 2006? :o to me that was one of the best season of the decade.

9. MyNameIs

MyNameIs Well-Known Member

Did they seriously just admit that they included Marc Jacobs because the backstage was revealed to be a party room and the show had stars in attendance?

And then Balmain? PRADA Fall 2010 of all seasons?

Also, don't think that McQueen collection is the right pick. Fall 2006 was his best collection imo.

10. ChiStreetStyle

ChiStreetStyle New Member

I agree - the whole evaluation process seemed to be off. Clearly the list doesn't appear to be edited for design influence. No one wears dresses that turn into chairs, and there were several Prada shows I liked better than Fall 2010, including Fall 2005 and Spring 2008.

11. LagerfeldBoy

LagerfeldBoy Active Member

Prada fall 2010? You're kidding me right? That's definitely not Miuccia's best.

12. Squizree

Squizree Looking Up

LOL, worst list ever. The Gucci collection is the ONLY one that actually deserves to be there. Marc Jacobs has done nothing original in his life therfore he should be nowhere near this list. Same thing goes for Balmain.
    The rest of the designers are definitely worthy but probably not those collections.

I'd take out Marc Jacobs, Balmain and Celine and put in Christian Dior, Givenchy and Versace.

Balenciaga Fall 2007? Really? What about Fall 03,04 and 08?

13. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

everyone here knows i love my balmain, but it shouldn't be on the list before balenciaga, chanel, or even pilati's first ysl collection. seriously, i can point to collections from this decade that changed the way most women -- and dare i say it, men -- dress today.

[​IMG]

style.com

#13 mikeijames, Sep 12, 2010
    Last edited by moderator versaceschoolboi: Sep 12, 2010
  14. dior_couture1245

dior_couture1245 Fat Karl

I don't think this list is accurate at all.

Firstly, the fact that McQueen Spring/Summer 2010 is on the list makes me furious beyond belief. It is so insulting to his talent and to his vision that this collection is considered his best. It's giving Lady Gaga too much credit. Lee's greatest work was far more sensitive, cerebral, poetic, tortured and painfully beautiful than "Plato's Atlantis" ever was or will be. What about "Widow's of Culloden," "Deliverance," "Voss," or "Sarabande?" Sure "Plato's Atlantis" caused an social uproar and every fashion victim was obsessed with the armadillo shoes, but the hype was all Gaga, not McQueen.

Other snafus include Lanvin Fall/Winter 2002. I believe Lanvin Spring/Summer 2008 should have replaced that season. Of course Alber's work has always been impeccable at the house, but I have such a strong recollection of Spring/Summer 2008 being his breakout season...and from that moment on, Lanvin was THE show to watch.

Marc Jacobs Spring/Summer 2002? I don't think so...I would have given it to Fall/Winter 2006. It sort of defined that entire year, and I still feel like it has an impact today...girls still love their chunky knit scarves, their neutral layers, their grungy hair. And even aside from the cultural impact, it was, in my opinion his most beautiful and most poignant show to date. Not only that but it sort of was one of his first big production shows. Spring/Summer 2006 was the beginnings of his large event style shows, but Fall/Winter 2006 felt like the starting of something new at the house of Marc Jacobs.

Also...I don't feel like the Margiela show is relevant. I mean, Margiela is a prolific, legendary designer, and he's done so much for fashion, but I just don't see why Spring/Summer 2007 in particular has any right being on this list...I don't see how it impacted fashion in any way, how it impacted society in any way...I'm not seeing it.

Also, not quite sure about Prada Fall/Winter 2010. I would definitely agree with the fact that Prada deserves a place on this list, but I just am not sure that Fall/Winter 2010 is the right one. Maybe Fall/Winter 2006? Maybe Fall/Winter 2007?

And I certainly agree with Gucci Fall/Winter 2004 for many reasons...as a moment, an event, a landmark, it certainly deserves a place here...it's just I love Fall/Winter 2003 so much, I can't help but wish that the 2003 collection and the 2004 collection could share a spot on the list!

But Balmain? Balmain? Balmain. Really?

15. Street_a_Licious

Street_a_Licious Active Member

agreed. that collection was utterly iconic and EVERYONE started wearing Lanvin.

i also would have loved that YSL collection from Tom Ford to be included, early 00's, with those jackets with the pagoda shoulders and the slinky cocktail dresses underneath, everything looking sumptuous and rich. those jewel tones... you still can't go wrong with that look when you wanna go for 'EXPENSIVE'.

Dior's S/S 06, all that nude. everyone is doing nude now, but it was so refreshing back then. especially from Galliano, it was an entirely fresh breath of air, nice change of pace. we know now that it didn't last. that was Galliano treading in safe territory but without making it look boring or pageant-y or overly cute-sy. i also loved the lack of tranny makeup on the models.

16. Salvatore

Salvatore Wanderlust

I don't agree with Gucci FW 2004 ... it should have been FW 2003 ! That was the collection of the decade.

17. barbiestolemyDVN

barbiestolemyDVN New Member

^ agreed! loved the humour of the collection as well

18. FashionPower

FashionPower Active Member

Terrible list as usual :lol:
    I agree with Mcqueen(mostly because it was his LAST collection,but probably it's not even worthy being there) and Balmain(it was such a BREAKTHROUGH collection,everyone started wearing Balmain and watching Decarnin's work) and also Gucci(I mean Tom Ford LAST show again :lol: )
    The rest of the list is just about Anna's favorites of fashion minimalism and favorite designers,like Marc Jacobs,Prada and Celine,which are CLEARLY not the best collections of the decade

19. Mathewthew

Mathewthew Active Member

Balmain serious ???? Marc Jacobs serious ???
    McQueen and Chalayan for sure and great seasons choice....
    I dont think the celine one is one of the top ten...but I'm sure it's one of the most expectance collection. and Balenciaga, I would say the S/S 07 is one of his best collection...I mean balenciaga and McQueen have so much to choose, it's really hard to chose one of them......

20. Squizree

Squizree Looking Up

This list either has the wrong designers or the right designers but the wrong collections.